Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Weird and monstrous, eldritch story...

The Mantis Continuum - Book Four - 9. Chapter 9 - Lahari, Part One

Lahari finds herself in another realm of existence.

Lahari was standing in a glowing blackness. It was bright, and there was light coming from nowhere. She was standing on a black planet. It was not an earth-sized planet, but a tiny planet, and Lahari could see its curvature.

Above her head, the sky was a bright black that shimmered like onyx, speckled with moving stars that swirled and overlapped in impossible patterns.

“Hello? Hello? Hello?” Lahari echoed. “Anybody? …body? …body?

The dizzying movement of the sky was hypnotic, and she stared at it for timeless ages that melted away, and there was only the black universe, in which Lahari was the only life. All else was stone and stars.

She began to walk, and the patterns above looked more chaotic. It did not take her long to make her way to the opposite side of the miniscule planet, and there she found a door lying flat on the ground. Lahari reached down and gripped its handle. She turned and pulled.

As the door opened, so did the void behind it, and Lahari was sucked into the yawning darkness. She tumbled endlessly, falling deeper and deeper into nothing. She opened her mouth to cry out, but she made no sound.

There was only silence.

Far below, Lahari began to see a flickering, and as she drew closer, she could tell that she was seeing water. However, she no longer felt like she was falling, but instead, it felt like her body was being drawn upward, almost as if she was flying. Her flight slowed until she was hovering below a pool of black water on the ceiling of this cave of nothingness.

Then she saw a light. It was not a bright light, and it was coming from deep in the pool above Lahari. Like a tiny fish, the light moved through the water toward her until it was at the surface, opposite from her levitating form.

Lahari reached out one arm, and her hand entered the pool. She gently wrapped her fingers around the light, and she lifted it from the water. Droplets dripped up into the ceiling pool from her knuckles.

In her palm, Lahari held a flower. Its petals were pale blue with luminous yellow at the edges. She lifted it to her nose and breathed its fragrance. It smelled of oleander. She knew it had a wanting, and she knew she could talk to it.

“What do you need, little flower?” she asked, her voice returning to its echoing resonance.

“I want to go home,” the flower responded.

“Where is your home?” Lahari asked.

The flower did not reply.

Lahari looked around the darkness, but she could see no means by which to exit the center of the black planet.

“Where are we?” she asked.

Again, the flower did not answer.

Lahari looked up into the depths of the pool of water on the ceiling above her, and she allowed her body to be drawn into it. First her hand with the flower, then her arm and head, and the rest of her entered the water. She rose deep into the pool.

Lahari ascended until she reached the bottom, or maybe it was the top.

Is this your home? Lahari thought to the flower.

The flower replied in Lahari’s mind. It is.

Why did you leave?

To come find you, the flower stated, so I could bring you to my home.

Why have you brought me to your home?

The flower did not answer.

What can I do? Lahari asked the flower with her thoughts.

Do what you can! the flower declared.

Lahari pondered what the flower meant. She released it, and it floated in the ceiling pool.

Then Lahari activated her powers, and she focused them on the flower.

The flower, the water, the darkness, the black planet, and the swirling patterned sky overhead vanished.

There was nothing, not even Lahari.

uh oh...
2023
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Wow 3
How will everything and everyone connect?
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a mysterious voyage to a new place or existence. Is this death for Lahari? At least she is not in pain so far.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

You know you're in deep trouble when flowers talk and up is down. The violets and I were discussing this the other day.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
13 hours ago, akascrubber said:

What a mysterious voyage to a new place or existence. Is this death for Lahari? At least she is not in pain so far.

10 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

This whole chapter was mysterious and beautifully lyrical.  

10 hours ago, drpaladin said:

You know you're in deep trouble when flowers talk and up is down. The violets and I were discussing this the other day.

4 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Sounds like a bad LSD trip...did someone slip some magic mushrooms into a meal???

all of your comments are really encouraging, thank you! "a beautifully lyrical bad LSD trip" was precisely the vibe i was hoping to achieve... haha but no one slipped her shrooms 🍄 you'll have to wait and seeeeeeee! 😝

  • Love 2
Link to comment

The next chapter is one of my favorite parts of the story, and I can't wait to share it with you all, but my editor and I need to work through a few of the later chapters to check continuity issues first... so it may be a few days before I can upload it 😍 I hope all of you are having fun with the slightly different style of dark fantasy in this fourth book

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..