Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Make sure you read the first Twinks in Space book!

Twinks in Space: Fantastic Voyage - Part Two - 68. Chapter 68 - The Ulaa-Lah

Finally!

The Ulaa-Lah?” Lyoth, Phentrom, and Captain Suoki exclaimed in unison.

The five travelers became silent as the choppy message continued, punctuated by the buzz and hum of the poor connection.

“…stranded and… systems… failed… cavitation engine… messages except… and primitive galaxy which… inhabitants do not… our communica… don’t even know… or if…”

The message ended.

Lyoth turned to Fonith. “Did the Cometskipper record that?”

“Yes,” Fonith confirmed, “and she’s already begun cleaning up the file. It shouldn’t be long.”

“Can we hone in on the location of the signal?” Captain Suoki asked.

“The ship is trying to locate the origin positioning of the call, but the message is being bounced through weird tech the ship’s struggling to recognize.”

Everyone was silent for another moment as Fonith entered commands into her terminal. The digital map shifted and zoomed to the position where the Cometskipper hovered in space. A chime rang from the advanced scanning computer. Its inner mechanism stopped rotating, and the sides of the cube became black again, as the three-dimensional rendering above the lumen display began forming a more detailed map of a new quadrant.

“The system is tracking the signal,” Fonith said, reading the display in front of her, “but it’s… oh gods, it’s coming from far away.” She looked at the others. “We can’t go after it with the Cometskipper’s current charge level. We’re going to need to head back and refuel, but we’ve got a destination processing.”

The digital map extended to a distant location, beyond where even the Xecot drive could scan, and the image focused on a single galaxy. Above the three-dimensional table, a hundred-thousand-million stars slowly rotated in a complex spiral that filled the display. Several points of light blinked.

“The computer is getting closer to the specific source planetary system,” Fonith informed the others. “The message is being bounced all over the place.”

“But does it actually lead to the Ulaa-Lah?” asked Captain Suoki.

“And how long is it going to take us to get to wherever it is?” Stawren added.

“And who knows what we’re going to find,” Lyoth stated, “between where we are now and where the Ulaa-Lah is.”

Fonith took a breath. “The Cometskipper is attempting the calculations, but it looks like it’ll take us over three months to get there.” She looked at Lyoth. “You’re right, there’s no telling what we’ll come across, but there won’t be any recharging stations. We need to go back, charge the Cometskipper’s cavitation engines, and then probably procure some backup charge-holders in case we need a recharge before we are able to return.”

Lyoth sucked his teeth. “Those things are expensive.”

Captain Suoki chimed in, “I can get us some. The Ulaa-Lah was required to carry enough recharges to refill the engines if they were drained to zero, and we ended up getting so many of them, the fellow who sells them became a friend. How far are we from the outer rim?”

“We’re a six-day flight back,” Fonith replied flatly.

“Well it sounds like we have a plan,” Stawren replied. “We recharge the ship with backups, then we go after the Ulaa-Lah.”

Phentrom whispered, “We’re coming, Thrad and everyone.”

A speaker beeped, and the five of them looked in its direction. The Cometskipper had clarified the entire distress message, and the system played it back.

“Alert! Alert! Alert! This is the starship Ulaa-Lah. We have become stranded, and many of the ship’s systems have failed. The cavitation engine is drained and we can’t send out any messages except distress calls. We are in a remote and primitive galaxy which possesses minimal advanced technology, and the inhabitants do not have the capability to recharge our cavitation engines or repair our communication array.” The voice then added, “I don’t even know if this message is getting out there, or if anyone will receive it.”

The message began to repeat.

This is going to take longer than any of them hope...
2024
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Thank you so much for diving into the second book in my sci-fi series, and I hope you enjoy it!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The bigger question is why the Ulaa-Laa was taken out there to begin with.

  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Oh my--This ship will need to be recharged and they have to go back to get the needed power. Then, the distressed ship is about three months away. This is going to be so stressful. Are their friends still alive and safe?

  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

And just think, with the inordinate amount of distance to cross, just how many difficulties our intrepid hero's will encounter...Just remember...

Nothing Is Impossible (35 Photos) - FunCage

  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
15 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

Oh my--This ship will need to be recharged and they have to go back to get the needed power. Then, the distressed ship is about three months away. This is going to be so stressful. Are their friends still alive and safe?

And they'll need enough fuel for the other ship and it's another three months to get back.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

OMG, have these people never heard of the Prime Directive...  

Well, at least we have a sort of destination, and know that when the message was sent, the ship was intact and in trouble but still had people on it.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..