Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Make sure you read the first Twinks in Space book!

Twinks in Space: Fantastic Voyage - Part Two - 7. Chapter 7 - Aboard the Cometskipper

The bounty hunter Quigley is worried about his wife and daughter, Finnow and Riah, who have been taken.

Riah was giggling uncontrollably. She was trying to hold Froufrou in her arms, but the squirming pug was licking her chin over and over, and he was making it difficult for the girl to keep a grip on him.

Her mother was seated beside Fonith. The two women were very similar in appearance. They both had rich olive skin, and both were tattooed with many black geometric symbols. Each of them was sipping a glass of wine.

Riah tried to kiss the top of Froufrou’s wrinkly head, but he licked her nose, and she screamed with laughter.

Fonith turned to the woman beside her. “It’s nice to see you, little sister.”

“Auntie Fonnie,” Riah squealed in glee, “Froufrou is getting me! It tickles!”

Fonith smiled at her niece. “You’ve grown so much since last time I saw you and your mommy.”

“Fonith, my husband’s going to be pissed.”

“I know, Finnow.”

“He’s going to come after me and Riah.”

“I know, Finnow.”

“He’s going to come after you, Fonith.”

Fonith smirked. “I know, Finnow.”

Finnow frowned and tutted at her sister. “Fonith, I always hated when you said that when we were kids.”

Fonith took another sip of wine. “I know, Finnow,” the bounty hunter repeated with a snicker. “Mom and Dad used to give me a hard time for giving you a hard time.”

“Listen, I know my husband, Fonith. Quigley is going to retaliate. And why’d you lie to him? You didn’t lock Riah and I in a warehouse with explosives. Why were you trying to frighten him?”

Fonith’s smile vanished. “He needs to understand the sense of urgency.”

Finnow huffed at her older sister, but then she leaned closer and whispered, “What’s the deal with this mandroid, anyway? Quigley told me he’s malfunctioning.”

Fonith glanced over at the kitchen again. “Suoki could explain it to you better. From what I understand, Phentrom is the first mandroid to fall in love.”

Finnow scowled. “What are you talking about?!”

“I think that’s what some people are saying is wrong with him,” Fonith continued. “I think that’s the so-called malfunction, something about him being… I don’t know, too alive?” She sounded unsure. “But listen, he was part of the uprising in Boullia Bay, where I live.”

Little Riah stepped up to Fonith with Froufrou panting at her feet. “Auntie Fonnie, do you have any treats I can give to Froufrou?”

At the mention of treats, Froufrou started racing around in a circle in front of Riah.

“You’d have to ask Suoki,” Fonith replied, smiling down at her and pointing at the big bearded fellow.

In the Cometskipper’s kitchen, Golvinte was preparing a little food for the group, and Captain Suoki was seated in a chair behind him. The captain’s side was covered in a thick layer of bandages, and a cane was leaning against his thigh. He had gone through forty-five minutes of lifesaving treatment on the Hope 28 medical frigate, and after twenty-four hours of observation, he was cleared for release. Fonith had returned and picked him up again. Captain Suoki was weakened, but he was very grateful to be alive.

Riah and Froufrou scampered into the kitchen together, as Fonith took Finnow’s hands in hers. She looked into her sister’s eyes, and Fonith spoke an ancient saying of their people. “Dithui-wey oolia.”

Finnow scowled and pulled her fingers free from her sister. “What do you mean, he’s one of us? He’s a synthetic, right? A synthetic can’t be one of us.”

“That old line is about welcoming outsiders,” Fonith replied. “Our people have said it for countless generations, because we are a people who have always accepted outsiders.”

Finnow’s frown became severe. “A synthetic is more than just an outsider; he’s not a person.”

“He is,” Fonnith retorted. “Phentrom is part of my dithila.”

“Part of your family?” Finnow replied incredulously. “I’m part of your family. Riah is part of your family. Even Quigley is part of your family.” She hesitated. “But a synthetic?”

Fonith smiled at her sister. “Phentrom may be more of an outsider than anyone who’s ever been accepted by our people. Who out there needs a dithila, a family, more than someone who’s never had a family of their own?”

Finnow’s expression softened, and her eyebrows drew toward the middle of her forehead, forming a thoughtful crease. “This synthetic has really fallen in love…” and she paused before adding, “with a human?”

“His name’s Phentrom,” Fonith replied with a chuckle. “And yes, he and a man called Lyoth have fallen in love.”

“And Lyoth doesn’t feel weird about being in love with something that’s not a human?”

Fonith cringed. “Phentrom is not a something; he’s our friend.”

Finnow sucked air through her teeth. “I don’t know. I didn’t think it was possible to be friends with a synthetic.”

“He’s fallen in love,” Fonith stated. “Why’s it a big deal to you?”

Finnow sighed. “Isn’t it all just unnatural?”

Riah came back out of the kitchen with the two men. Captain Suoki was holding the little girl’s hand in one of his, and he was supporting himself with the cane in the other. Riah and the big man were also talking about the mandroid.

“That’s right, Riah,” the captain said down to the little girl. “Lyoth and Phentrom are a couple, but some people didn’t like that they were happy together.”

“Those people should leave them alone,” Riah squeaked in reply. “Can I meet Phentrom someday? He sounds nice.”

Finnow spoke up to her daughter. “Riah, what are you two talking about?”

“Suoki was tellin’ me about Phentrom, and I was just sayin’ that I wanted to be his friend.”

Her mother did not understand. “But why are you two talking about Phentrom?”

“I dunno,” Riah replied.

Captain Suoki chuckled. “She asked me about him,” he explained to Finnow. “Riah popped into the kitchen a minute ago and just asked outright, who’s Phentrom? So I told her.” He smiled. “I’ve known Phentrom for several years.”

“Can you explain to me what happened to him?” Finnow asked.

Golvinte was carrying a tray of snacks, and he placed the food onto the table between the sisters. He remained quiet; he was also interested in learning more about Phentrom.

“I like to think that his A.I.P. has become equivalent to a human soul,” Captain Suoki continued, smiling from ear to ear. “Phentrom is the closest a mandroid has ever come to being human.”

“Wait,” Finnow interposed, “please remind me what A.I.P. stands for.”

“Oh, yes, sorry,” the captain replied, “Artificial Intelligence Programming.”

Finnow looked curious. “You think his programming has become like our souls?”

“I do,” Captain Suoki replied with a grin. “Phentrom doesn’t act like other mandroids anymore; he acts like a human. He has emotions that have grown beyond how he was programmed. Phentrom was constructed over fifty years ago, and in that time, he’s experienced and learned so much about us,” and he waved his hands at everyone present, “that his programming has evolved and is acting, in a lot of ways, like a human heart.” Captain Suoki brought his palms to his chest. His eyes were sparkling.

Golvinte leaned toward Finnow and added, “Like your husband, I pursued a bounty on Phentrom. Turns out, I ended up getting to talk with him for a while and learning a lot about him. That’s how I got involved in all this.” Golvinte made a guilty face. “Phentrom is really sweet and I feel bad for having tried to bring him in, but I didn’t understand before, either.”

Finnow looked from Golvinte to Captain Suoki. “This synthetic really means a lot to you, doesn’t he?”

“It may seem odd,” the captain replied, and he chuckled, “but that synthetic turned out to be one of my best friends.”

“Really? I’ve never heard of someone befriending a synthetic.”

Golvinte chimed in again. “Phentrom also helped Captain Suoki save a bunch of kids.”

“Kids? What about a bunch of…”

Hey!” Riah interrupted, and the four adults all looked down at the little girl and the pug. She was staring right at Captain Suoki. “I forgot to give Froufrou treats!” she declared.

Froufrou jumped up with his little front paws on Riah, and he yipped in excitement.

“You did?” Captain Suoki asked.

“Yes,” Riah confirmed with a serious nod of her head, “I was supposed to ask you for treats to give to Froufrou, and I forgot.”

The pug barked again at hearing his favorite word.

Captain Suoki laughed. “Come with me; we’ll find that little rascal something yummy!” Riah grabbed the man’s large hand again, and with his cane in the other, the pair of them headed back into the kitchen with Froufrou leading the way.

Finnow reached out and now took her sister’s hand. “Fonith, you really consider a synthetic part of your family?”

Fonith smiled. “Seems like you’re starting to get it. Also, none of us think of him as a synthetic; Phentrom is just Phentrom. Anytime something comes up that reminds me he’s a synthetic, I’m always sort of surprised for a second until I remember that yes, Phentrom is indeed a synthetic,” she squeezed her sister’s fingers, “but he’s also dithila. Phentrom is family.”

💗
2024
  • Like 4
  • Love 6
Thank you so much for diving into the second book in my sci-fi series, and I hope you enjoy it!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Phentrom is family.

It's been a bit since we heard the he's a synthetic argument.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Quigley's wife understands the reality and personal connection Phentron has with others, He is a friend, a lover and a family member, shockingly, and not an artifcial creature. Others want to save him.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..