Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Second Shot - 31. Chapter 31: Pre Game Warm Up

Short transition chapter, hopefully folks won't hate it. No change in Peter's condition, but that's not all bad, right?

The sun was up and shining through the living room window when Jason opened his eyes. As best he could recall, he did not have any disturbing dreams. He felt rested for the first time in three days. Remembering everyone was still sleeping, he quietly went into the kitchen to make coffee.

"Fuck!" he said louder than he meant to. "How do I run out of coffee?"

Dean was sleeping soundly when Jason slipped into his room. He decided to go to the Java Shack, then visit Peter while his brother slept. He'd pick up Dean before going to his game.

A quick shower later, he was getting dressed as quietly as he could when he stepped on one of Dean's shoes. Landing hard, he managed not to fall, but the sound reverberated through the room.

"Jase?"

Great, so much for letting him sleep. "Yeah, Dean. Sorry, didn't mean to wake you."

"It's cool. What's up?"

"Nothing much, bro, go back to sleep. I'm gonna get coffee and go see Pete before the game."

"Give me a few minutes to get showered and I'll go with you." Before Jason could protest, Dean was out of bed on his way to the bathroom. Wondering why his brother was so eager to go, he sat on the bed to wait for him.

**

Jason knew everyone who worked at the Java Shack; he ought to, as much money as he gave them. Sunday mornings often found him and Peter getting breakfast while they read the paper. Today the owner, Jerri and her younger brother Joshua were working. A new employee he never met was learning how things worked.

"New employee, Jerri?" Jason asked.

Jerri was late forties, early fifties, short, tending toward a bit chubby, very tan, with shoulder length blonde hair - total dye job Peter always said. The new guy was tall, at least Jason's height, with long brown hair pulled back. Thin, gangly even, he was probably older than he looked.

"Yeah," Jerri never turned to see who was speaking. "What will you have, dear?"

"Can I get a cherry chocolate protein drink, a black coffee and a bran muffin?" He turned toward Dean, who despite the shower, still looked groggy. "Whadda you want, Dean?"

"Mocha with an extra shot." Dean nearly pressed his face against the display case. "And a blueberry muffin."

"Wait, let me write this down." Picking up the pad and pen, she spun around and froze. "Oh, Jason."

Her usual smile drained from her face as she walked around the counter. "Jason, I'm so sorry about what happened to Peter. How's he doing?"

Without waiting for an answer, she gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

Jason felt a pang of guilt when he realized he didn't know if there had been a change over-night. No, Mrs. G would have called if something happened. "Nothing much has changed since the attack, but that's not all bad the doctors say."

"We're all praying for his recovery, sweetie." She grabbed both his cheeks then looked at Dean. "You must be Jason's brother, the one he's always bragging about. You two look so alike."

Before either of them could answer her, she took Dean's left hand in hers, and patted the top affectionately.

"Jerri, this is my brother, Dean."

"Nice to meet you, ma'am." Dean put his other hand over hers, looking uncomfortable as he did it.

"Such a gentleman." She smiled as she retreated behind the counter. Two more customers had come in so the time for small talk was over. "So repeat that for me, sweetie."

Jerri called everyone sweetie, but it got a smile every time from Jason. "Cherry chocolate protein shake, large coffee, black no sugar and a bran muffin for me. A medium mocha with an extra shot and a blueberry muffin for Dean."

He watched as she wrote it down, then remembered his lack of coffee at home. "Oh, a pound of Italian Roast, ground too, please."

"You stayin' here or taking out?"

"Taking out, please. We'll wait over there for it." He nodded toward a table.

"Sure thing. I'll bring them out in a second."

Jason looked for an empty table, which wasn't hard given there were only other people in the shop at this hour. 7:30 a.m. on a Saturday was notoriously slow around campus. Dean slumped in his chair, still looking miserable for being up so early. Jason wanted to tell him again he could go back to sleep when he felt someone approach.

"Hey, Jason."

Dean's eyes snapped open, as Jason turned to see the speaker. Tall, black hair, Irish looking, very cute and athletic, wearing a grey Penn State sweat-shirt, jeans, and sneakers.

"Whoa, sorry, Ed." He could feel myself turning red for not recognizing Peter's friend. "I wasn't expecting anyone to talk to me just now."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

"No problem, I guess I'm just a bit jumpy." Jason nodded toward his brother. "Ed, this is my brother, Dean."

"Nice to meet you," Dean said as they shook hands.

"It's cool, I was reading anyway." Ed waved it off. "When I heard Jerri say your name, I looked up and realized it was you."

"Grab a chair and join us?" Jason suggested. Of all Peter's gay friends, he liked Ed the best. Ed worked in Harrisburg so he didn't come around all that much. Come to think of it, Jason wondered, why would he come here to hang out at all? At seven-thirty on a Saturday morning no less. Harrisburg, small city that it was, was light years ahead of Hamerton.

"I can't." He shook his head. "I didn't mean to bother you, just wanted to say hi and see how Peter's doing? I saw the news this week."

"Thanks." As much as he appreciated everyone asking about Peter, all it did was call to mind the image of Peter's battered body. "There hasn't been much change, which isn't all bad I suppose."

"Yeah, that's true." Ed's attempt to sound up-beat felt forced to Jason.

"Seriously, you can join us." Jason moved a chair out. "We're just getting something to eat before we go to the hospital."

Jason's voice trailed off and no one spoke, each keeping their thoughts private. The arrival of their order broke silence as placed Jason's order on the table and left. Ed resolved any internal debate and took the offered chair.

Plunking the straw into his protein shake, Jason decided he needed to change topics. "What brings you to the world famous Java Shack on a Saturday morning?"

Dean dove right in, nearly devouring his muffin before Jason got two bites. Taking a long draw on his drink, Jason waited for Ed to answer.

"I came to pick up my brother, so we could hang out for the day. I got here early."

Nodding, Jason swallowed. "That's cool."

"And while he can sleep late, I have chronic weekend sleep disorder." Ed laughed even though Jason didn't understand the joke. Seeing Jason didn't laugh he added, "My internal clock is still stuck on my weekday schedule. Looks like you have the same problem."

Still drinking, Jason shook his head. "Not really, just having trouble sleeping right now."

Jason looked down at his drink, omitting any mention of the nightmares he kept having.

"That's understandable." Ed stood up. "Hang on, let me get my stuff."

Jason hogged down more of his shake, and watched as his brother eyed his half eaten muffin. Handing Dean some money he said, "Here, go get yourself something else."

Dean practically leapt from his chair, bee-lining to the counter.

Ed was laughing when he returned to the take. "I forgot what it was like to have that kind of metabolism, though you don't exactly just nibble either."

"Game day." Jason tilted his shake before draining the cup. "Protein shake and a muffin. I'll get a banana or two later."

"This is going to sound weird, but you met my brother last spring," Ed told him. "He told me about it, but I never made the connection until he called to tell me about Peter."

"Um, damn, I don't remember that." Jason searched his memory for something that sounded familiar.

"He said he met this guy, never mentioned your name, I think he forgot it, but straight guys never remember other dudes names, do they?"

Jason laughed before taking a drink of his coffee. "Some of us gays don't remember names too well, either."

"True. Anyway, I guess it was right about the time you came out. He said he met you in the field house. He tried to 'recruit' you as he put it, to be their fourth for a pick-up game."

Now he remembered. The guy whose brother was gay. It was the night he told his team.

"Gotcha," he nodded. "I was shooting hoops waiting for the team to let me know if my being gay was going to be an issue."

"You let them decide?"

"Long story." Jason shook his head. "Doesn't matter, the team is cool."

For a moment Jason thought Ed was going to pursue it, but then he shrugged.

"Like I said, how crazy is it that we have known each other for almost a year. I never made the connection."

Jason began eating his muffin, knowing he didn't want to stay too long. "His name was Marcus?"

Ed shook his head. "Close, Mike."

"Mike, that's right." How stupid did that sound. Of course Ed would know his own brother's name. "See, I told you some of us gays forget names."

Jason offered part of his muffin to Ed who declined. "Thanks, but I had something to eat before you got here."

"So," Jason stuffed a chunk of food in his mouth. "We haven't seen you around in a while. What else are you up to?"

"You two don't come to Harrisburg much that is why." Ed pointed out.

"Soccer season, his work, lack of money, take your pick." Jason explained. He regretted mentioning money because Ed had to figure Jason wasn't poor.

Thankfully Ed glossed over it. "I'm seeing someone new, nice guy, been dating about a month. All four of us should go out."

Jason must have made a face because Ed suddenly froze. "When Peter is better, I meant," he added quickly.

"We'll see." Jason was about to mention the fight he and Pete had the night of the attack, but Dean returned at that moment looking entirely too pleased with himself.

"Thanks, Jase," he said putting down a bagel with cream cheese and another muffin.

His eyes fixed on Dean, Ed laughed. "So, what's your brother doing in town?"

"He came down with my parents to see my game today." It was easier to reduce their visit to seeing the game then having to explain what led up to their hanging around.

"Maybe we we'll stop by and catch the game," Ed suggested. "I have to see what Mike wants to do."

"Not keen on spending the whole day doing nothing?" Jason laughed.

Joining Jason's laugh, he said, "No, not even with my kid brother."

When Dean finished eating, Jason decided they needed to go

"Nice seeing you again, Ed. Give me your number. I will let you know how Peter is doing. When he's better, we'll come to Harrisburg and meet you and your boyfriend for dinner."

"Great. I look forward to it."

**


Leaving the Java Shack, Dean was practically asleep in the passenger seat.

"Wake up Dean," he said gently.

"I'm awake." Dean never opened his eyes.

"Seriously, you don't have to come. I can drop you back off and you can go back to sleep."

"No, I'm good." Dean sat up, rubbing his eyes. "I want to come with you."

"Thanks." Jason smiled even though Dean closed eyes again.

The rest of the way there, Jason felt his mood change. Dread replaced the good feelings his brother's presence gave him. What if while he was gone things got worse? Should he have skipped going out with Dean and stayed with Peter? He suddenly felt incredibly guilty playing pool last night.

His stomach churned harder with every step. By the time they reached Peter's room, he thought he was going to vomit.

"Jase, are you okay?" Dean asked. "You're turning white."

"Yeah, fine. I'm starting to feel guilty for not staying here last night."

Dean grabbed him by the back of the neck and pulled him closer. "Sorry, I should've stayed with Mom and Dad."

Until Dean spoke, Jason hadn't considered how his brother would take his words. "That came out bad. I didn't mean I'm sorry you're here. Believe me, I'm so glad you're around, you've been great."

He hugged Dean back, then hip-checked his brother into the wall.

"Man, you're gonna pay for that."

Before he could make good on his threat, Jason slipped into the room. Amanda, Erin, Tom and Betsy were all there.

Jason made his way to the far side of the bed where Erin sat alone. She moved over so he could lay his hand a top the cast on Peter's arm. "Any change?"

Amanda shook her head. "Nothing of note. They say the swelling in his face and head are going down much quicker than expected."

"I think they sounded very positive," Betsy said. Jason felt a bit sorry for her. She was here to support her husband, but she must have felt out of place.

"That's good," he mumbled, looking at Pete's mom who managed a thin smile.

"So, Dean, did you sleep well?" Amanda's question took Jason by surprise. How did she keep everything so . . . normal? Peter was a foot away, unconscious and she remembers to make sure Dean feels included.

"Yes ma'am," he answered with a yawn.

"Must have been quite a night," Tom joked.

"Other than Jason almost getting beat up by Jordan's frat brothers, it was uneventful." Dean laughed.

Dean's smile faded when Jason glared at him. Why did he have to tell them that?

"What!" Amanda looked startled and a bit shaken.

"Way to go, Dean." Jason gave his brother a sour look. "Don't worry Mrs. G., everything is fine."

"What happened? Did you call the police? Did you get hurt?" she rattled off her question in rapid fire.

"Amanda, let him answer one question first." Tom tried to calm her down. "He said he's fine."

"No, I'm not hurt, the Chief and some officers showed up and squashed it and it was just some words with Jordan's frat brothers." Jason hoped Dean would not tell her about the 'someone has to pay' comment.

"If the Chief showed up, it was more than just words." Amanda gave him a pointed glare. "Start at the beginning and tell me what happened."

"I'm so gonna make you suffer for this, Dean," he said through clenched teeth. For his part, Dean really looked sorry for his mistake.

"Oh no you won't," Amanda told him. "Now, tell me what happened."

Skipping as many details as he could without getting trapped by Amanda's probing questions, Jason gave them an abridged version of the nights events. When his gaps proved too wide, even Tom started to inquire about the missing facts.

"Now you listen to me, young man." She sounded just like his mother. "If they so much as look at you wrong, you call the Chief. Do you understand me?"

"Do all mothers take a class on how to talk like that?" Jason tried to joke about the situation. "That sounded just like my mother when she's mad at me."

"This is not a joking matter." Her terse voice killed his smile. "I am one-hundred percent serious. Don't you let me hear you were threatened and didn't report it."

"I second what Amanda said," Tom added. "It's understandable you don't want to escalate things, but this is no time for heroics. They can't be allowed to interfere with the case in anyway."

"And what in God's name were you thinking sending Darryl outside leaving you with three goons to face alone?" Amanda's voice was getting a bit shrill. "They could have seriously hurt you."

Whether she meant to or not, Amanda's lecture made him look at Peter. "It was a crowded bar. I took a chance they wouldn't attack me in front of so many people, so long as I didn't provoke them."

"You took a big gamble," Tom said siding with his ex wife. "What if no one came to your aid?"

"Then at least Dean would have been out of danger. I didn't want him getting hurt for something he had nothing to do with."

"You had nothing to do with it either!" Her voice was just shy of a yell.

"Mom, keep your voice down," Erin hissed at her mother.

"Jason, dear," she was searching for the right words while struggling to keep her volume down. "You're not to blame for what happened. And as much as keeping Dean safe was the right thing to do, you shouldn't have left yourself alone like that."

Jason could almost hear her say, 'or else you will end up in the hospital like Peter.' He also knew he was not going to win this argument. "Yes, Mrs. G, I can see that now."

"Jason, I don't mean to lecture you, but please be more careful." She pleaded with him.

Jason could see she was thinking about what happened to her son as she tried to convince him to be more careful. "Promise."

"What time is your game?" Tom asked in a blatant attempt to change topics.

"Eleven, sir," Jason replied, happy to be off the topic of last night. "We really need to go soon or else I'll be late."

"It was good of you to stop by before the game," Betsy said.

Both Amanda and her daughter both rolled their eyes at her comment. Not knowing what to say, he just nodded.

Jason has a game, but how will everything affect him.
Copyright © 2011 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

LOL, I think that is your shortest chappy yet!

 

It's thirty mins to midnight, but reading about the coffee--mmmm, exactly what I feel like. Must hold out till tomorrow, hehe.

 

I love knowing what happens next--love it!!!

 

Well, I just really wanted to be first to comment this time, and maybe to poke fun at word length. Of course, now the chapters are generally shorter, you really do have to post often.

 

Thank you for sharing this with us. :2thumbs:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I agree...much quicker turnaround! :2thumbs: Good chapter, but nothing definitive about Peter. Again...think its on purpose. I like this story....but I'm scared that you might kill Peter off...and I don't think that'll do... :blink:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nice chapter. You are such a tease. You have all this 'normal' sweet, entertaining stuff going on... life I guess but nothing is happning with Peter. I really like that. They play off each other don't they. The more that is happening on the outside highlights how little is happening on the inside and the little that's happening on the inside makes you think of the inanity of what is happening on the outside It also shows how quickly the dramatic can become the mundane. People have an incredible ability to adapt and normalise.

 

great going

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/17/2011 09:37 AM, AnytaSunday said:
LOL, I think that is your shortest chappy yet!

 

It's thirty mins to midnight, but reading about the coffee--mmmm, exactly what I feel like. Must hold out till tomorrow, hehe.

 

I love knowing what happens next--love it!!!

 

Well, I just really wanted to be first to comment this time, and maybe to poke fun at word length. Of course, now the chapters are generally shorter, you really do have to post often.

 

Thank you for sharing this with us. :2thumbs:

Haha, yes this was short, I know, but that won't make me post faster - writing the last few chapters will help me post faster and you know how that is going at the moment LOL. Thanks for all your help along the way. It might have been rather tough to read without you. Andy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/17/2011 09:48 AM, rckclimber27 said:
I agree...much quicker turnaround! :2thumbs: Good chapter, but nothing definitive about Peter. Again...think its on purpose. I like this story....but I'm scared that you might kill Peter off...and I don't think that'll do... :blink:
Someone once said, a death is hardest on the living, they have to carry on - and NO I SWEAR that is not a hint that Peter dies. I am keeping a tight lip on what happens. My point was with Peter in a coma, how Jason handles it is the main conflict at the moment. I am not dragging out Peter's situation, well not really and certainly not on purpose - but the injury WAS severe. One can't expect him to snap back like Wolverine. His fate for good or ill will be revealed in about 4 chapters or so. BUT just to allay fears that the delay is a sign he will die, one could also take it as a sign he is healing and if he were going to die his condition would get worse. Just sayin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/17/2011 09:54 AM, Nephylim said:
Nice chapter. You are such a tease. You have all this 'normal' sweet, entertaining stuff going on... life I guess but nothing is happning with Peter. I really like that. They play off each other don't they. The more that is happening on the outside highlights how little is happening on the inside and the little that's happening on the inside makes you think of the inanity of what is happening on the outside It also shows how quickly the dramatic can become the mundane. People have an incredible ability to adapt and normalise.

 

great going

Hey Nephy, thanks so much for this. What I was/am trying to show is how this affects Jason and his life - like I have said in other responses, Peter is in a coma. I could just snap my fingers and make him better immediately or I could try to show how his injury and condition affect those closest to him. I am not dragging his situation out, just to drag it out. I think this is how it would/might progress. I HOPE when it is resolved folks will agree it was a natural and realistic portrayal, but time will tell. Thanks for everything, I take your comments very seriously as I so admire your work. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

thanks for the new chapter Andy. Good to here Pete's condition is improving (although he hasn't woken up yet).

Reading the replies for these comments it looks like you enjoy teasing us playing god hey. But I agree with you, being in a coma is not a good thing nor a bad thing. it can go either way Peter waking up doesn't mean he will live either. Death is very mysterious.

 

Even though it has taken so long for us readers, it has been only a couple of days in the story's time line and I think (given my none existing medical knowledge) Pete is doing great during this time. His body is healing fast and the coma might actually help directing energy where its most needed and without dealing with all those emotions if he's a wake.

 

But you know us right, we cannot be satisfied ;)

 

I'm a bit unhappy about the short chapter, you could've combined the next one with this! *pout*

 

Hurry up & finish the last few chapters so we can read what happens to our dream couple soon.

 

Looking for the next LONG chapter soon ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/18/2011 01:00 AM, boiwonder said:
thanks for the new chapter Andy. Good to here Pete's condition is improving (although he hasn't woken up yet).

Reading the replies for these comments it looks like you enjoy teasing us playing god hey. But I agree with you, being in a coma is not a good thing nor a bad thing. it can go either way Peter waking up doesn't mean he will live either. Death is very mysterious.

 

Even though it has taken so long for us readers, it has been only a couple of days in the story's time line and I think (given my none existing medical knowledge) Pete is doing great during this time. His body is healing fast and the coma might actually help directing energy where its most needed and without dealing with all those emotions if he's a wake.

 

But you know us right, we cannot be satisfied ;)

 

I'm a bit unhappy about the short chapter, you could've combined the next one with this! *pout*

 

Hurry up & finish the last few chapters so we can read what happens to our dream couple soon.

 

Looking for the next LONG chapter soon ;)

BW - No I really plan to tease or play god, but seriously, do people REALLY Want me to spoil the ending? I just don't know how to respond any better when folks say this or that. Like you said, there is no 'right' answer for me :) I can say this - if it helps - I am making good progress on the remaining chapters after a stall so I expect to get er done soon. since I have few chapters left to write, every time I finish one, I will post an extra chapter. Fair enough? Thanks for reading, and the comments :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Short but sweet :) Looking forward to see what happens now at Jason's football game. I did think it was a bit strange that Dean wanted t ogo with Jason even though he was really tired.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/18/2011 04:16 AM, Simonjames30 said:
Short but sweet :) Looking forward to see what happens now at Jason's football game. I did think it was a bit strange that Dean wanted t ogo with Jason even though he was really tired.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter

Deans reasons, though not really well spelled out were that he's trying to keep tabs on Jason to be sure he is okay. After he broke down in his room before the pool hall and then how he was cursing and smacking the steering wheel, Dean is just trying to watch over and be there for Jason. Thanks for reading - Andy
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I really hope Jason do well in the game. I am so proud of Dean. You really show the love he has for Jason. The way you are writing this story seems so real. The time line is perfect! Peter's injuries are serious, so I know you just don't get over something like that overnight. Great Work! Looking forward to the next chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/18/2011 03:12 PM, montyblk said:
I really hope Jason do well in the game. I am so proud of Dean. You really show the love he has for Jason. The way you are writing this story seems so real. The time line is perfect! Peter's injuries are serious, so I know you just don't get over something like that overnight. Great Work! Looking forward to the next chapter.
Thanks Monty - next chapter sooner than later - promise.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..