Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Second Shot - 12. Chapter 12: A Little Freedom is a Good Thing?

Now that Darryl knows, Jason has more freedom to spend time with Peter. So what does he do with him new found freedom?

“What’s this?” Peter turned over the small box Jason gave him.

“Today is Valentine’s Day.” Feeling incredibly pleased, Jason couldn’t stop smiling. “Happy Valentine’s Day.”

Immediately Peter’s face took on the expression he always had when the subject of money came up.

“Please,” Jason pressed on. “Don’t even pretend you didn’t get me anything. You buy me things for every occasion, real or imagined.”

Peter laughed. “Mighty sure of yourself are you?”

“Sure enough to know I didn’t do anything wrong this time.” He didn’t care whether Peter was mad or not, it was their first Valentine’s Day and he was not going to let it pass without celebrating.

Peter glared at him in mock indignation. When he stuck out his tongue, Jason knew he was fine with the gift, or at least the idea of a gift.

Opening the box slowly, Peter appeared baffled by what he found. Pushing aside the tissue paper, he finally removed a small card. “You wrapped a card in a box? That’s my gift?”

“There’s no pleasing some people.” Jason laughed. “Next time I’m going to buy you a Ducati and see how you like that.”

Carefully unfolding the card, Peter scanned the sheet of paper he found inside. “What’s this?”

“We’re going to D.C. tonight to celebrate Valentine’s Day.” His excitement made it hard for him to be calm. “That’s the hotel reservation. We have dinner reservations at 7:00. I wrote the name of the restaurant on the bottom.”

Peter’s face screwed up into a frown. Jason could see he was trying to hold back getting mad.

“Okay stop,” Jason ordered. “You agreed I could spend the money my grandparents gave me for Christmas on stuff like this. I figured you would be happy I used that money for this. Technically I didn’t really get you anything other than a card. My gift was the surprise, not the actual dinner and trip.”

Listening to Jason’s explanation changed Peter’s reaction from frown to awkward discomfort. “Sorry Jase, you’re right. Wish I didn’t get so weird whenever you spend money on me.”

“I could just give you the money, then you could spend it on us,” Jason offered.

“Just like that?”

“Huh?”

“You can just hand over your money that easily?” Peter sounded more surprised than angry.

“Yeah, why not?” The idea he didn’t trust Peter shocked him. “If it would make you more comfortable I’d do it in a heartbeat.”

Instead of answering, Peter kissed him. “I love you.”

As much as he hated to do the ‘me too’ Jason said, “I love you too, Pete.”

“So when do we leave?” Peter’s mood brightened considerably.

“As soon as you’re finished with your classes and we have a chance to shower.” None of which was soon enough for him. |

“We?” Peter snorted.

Wrapping his arms around Peter from behind Jason spoke softly into his ear. “Yeah, did I forget to mention, I was going to personally make sure you’re clean before we go? I booked us a room at a swanky hotel and a very nice restaurant. Don’t want you to embarrass me.”

“Of course.” Peter played along. “We both know my hygiene is lacking.”

“My way is more fun and is in keeping with the theme of the day.” Jason stood still, enjoying the moment.

“What theme would that be?”

“That I have the greatest, hottest, sexiest boyfriend alive who I can’t get enough of.” Jason turned Peter around, pulling him closer for a kiss.

Breaking free, Peter grabbed Jason’s hand.

“Um Pete, if we go in there you won’t make class.”

“Don’t be such a horn dog Jase,” Peter laughed. “Your gift is in here and I don’t want to let go while I get it.”

Peter produced a pink card envelope. “I can’t tell you how long I have wanted to have someone special on Valentine’s Day. I spent two hours reading all the cards before I bought one.”

Peter’s smile was infectious. “Two hours?!?” Jason held the card like a delicate object. “I don’t think I spent two hours planning, reserving and wrapping the box.”

Rolling his eyes, Peter shook his head. “Men.”

“Shut up!” Opening the envelope Jason could feel something inside the card. Two thin strips of paper fell out of the card as he removed it. He managed to keep the card open as he bent down to retrieve what had fallen.

Once again Peter outdid him. Ignoring the tickets in his hand, he read the inside of the card.

“Dear Jason,

Today being Valentine’s Day, it is the perfect day for me to tell you how much you mean to me. When we “met” that Saturday at the field house, I knew you were special. Something told me I had to meet you. It was the smartest thing I ever did. I hope I tell you often enough how happy you make me and how much I love you. It is easy to forget we have only known each other a few months as comfortable as I am around you. So in case I haven’t said it enough, I love you Jason! Thank you for being a part of my life.

Love Peter

Staring at the card, he was too choked up to speak. Forgetting the tickets, he read the card again. When he looked up, Peter was staring at him.

“Thanks.” He managed not to tear up, barely. “I . . . I love you too, Peter.”

After a kiss and a hug, Jason remembered the tickets. “What are these?”

“Um tickets, Einstein.” Peter said, keeping a straight face.

The teasing helped bring back a smile. “Wow, this new learning is amazing.”

“Smartass.” Peter tried to snatch the tickets from Jason, but missed by a hair.

“Me!?! You started it with the Einstein comment.” He turned around so he could read the tickets.

“It’s not much, but I thought you would like it.” Peter sounded apologetic.

Jason read the fine print and realized they were two tickets to a comedy club in Harrisburg. “Whose the other ticket for?”

“I don’t know, but I’m sure you can find someone to invite.” Peter shook his head.

Shrugging Jason tried to play along. “I don’t think Darryl likes comedy clubs and Wendy would think it was a date. I guess I could ask Brian, but I don’t want to be seen with someone who’s skinny fat. I know.” Jason smiled, making eye contact with Peter. “I can bring Dean. He would like going.”

The smile left Peter’s face briefly. “That’s a good idea.”

“Oh, but taking Dean means I need to go get him then bring him home. That won’t work.” Smirking one more time he added. “Are you free?”

“So I’m your last choice?” Peter feigned indignation at the thought.

“Well, I like to think of it as the only choice.” Jason grabbed Peter’s face. “Thanks Pete, this is very cool.”

“Yeah?” He didn’t sound sure. “Do you really like them?”

“I do, anything that lets me spend time with you is a good idea.” Jason kissed him again. “But you made me look lame again.”

“Huh? What does that mean?”

Holding up the card, Jason frowned. “Two hours to pick a card, then you write something sweet and romantic. Tickets for a fun night out. And in return you got what? A preprinted card with nothing written inside and a trip I planned in an hour. Yet again, you do something sweet and wonderful and I throw money at the situation.”

Try as he might, Jason couldn’t help feeling like a sorry excuse for a boyfriend. Was it really so hard to do something nice that didn’t involve spending large sums of money? And if so why couldn't he ever get it right?

“Whoa, Jase.” Peter jumped right at him. “What the hell are you talking about?”

Peter’s tone struck Jason like a slap. “How come I always get it wrong? I really tried this time and I still came up short.”

“You didn’t get it wrong,” He pulled Jason closer despite the resistance. “In fact, you got it more right than I did this time.”

“Whatever.” Jason was not going to let Peter brush it off again. He needed to do better.

“Seriously.” Pushing Jason’s chin up, Peter waited until he caught Jason’s eyes before he continued. “You did something really sweet without spending money we didn’t already agree to spend. I’m stoked about going to D.C. Not only is it going to be dinner out, but it will be our first night staying together in a hotel. This is the most romantic Valentine’s Day I ever had. And you did it using the money we agree you could spend. What did you get wrong?”

“The card.” Even Jason realized his words lacked conviction. Peter’s explanation made him feel better. Why pretend? “Okay, so I did good this time.”

“That’s the smile I want to see.” Peter laughed. “Really Jase, this is pretty awesome, how did you pick the restaurant?”

“You are going to laugh.” Jason started to feel self conscious. “I went to Craigslist on those personal ads and tried to sound sad and pathetic. Told them it was our first Valentine’s Day and I wanted to surprise you with a trip and dinner.”

“Wait,” Peter pushed him back a few inches. “You went off the advice of the crazies on Craigslist?”

“You looked for me there, does that make you crazy?” Jason didn’t know why he felt the need to defend his decision. Before Peter could answer he added. “No, I didn’t rely on them for the decision. I sifted through the responses and found a few that seemed legit. Then I did some research, checking reviews, seeing if they got recommendations from legit sources, that kind of stuff.”

“Really?” Peter looked pleased. “So why did you think this was just you throwing money at me? You put way more thought and effort into this than I did. I’m the one who should feel inferior.”

“Whatever,” he repeated. “But I did get a LOT of crazy replies. More than half were from idiots offering to let us stay with them - if they could watch or join us. Then there were those who offered to make us dinner, in exchange for sex. I toyed with sending back a smart ass remark, but didn’t want them to have my email.”

Peter laughed. “Why are there so many fucked up gay people?”

“I bet if you tried this as a straight couple you would get an equal number of stupid responses.”

“Okay,” Peter nodded. “I won’t argue that.”

A small frown crossed his face as Jason said, “Wear something nice, coat and tie is required for the restaurant.”

“Seriously?” Peter’s voice was hard for Jason to read.

“Yeah, sorry.” Jason hated getting dressed up, but this was worth it.

“Sorry? For what?” Peter laughed. “I can’t believe I get to finally see you in a coat and tie. AND I get to take it off you later. How hot is that?”

“Horn dog.” Jason snickered. So much for his fear the dress code would ruin the evening.

A few kisses later, Peter stepped back. “Okay, now that you have me totally distracted by tonight, I need to go to work.”

“Maybe I should find a job.” Jason wondered out loud. When he saw Peter’s face he quickly added, “so I have something to do when you’re working.”

“Try studying soccer boy.” Peter tapped him on the chest. “Or come to the dojo and take lessons.”

“Really?” The idea stunned him. Did Peter really want him at the dojo taking classes?

“Sure.” Peter turned serious. “Why not?”

“I don’t know, I just figured you wouldn’t want me around your work.” Jason shrugged. “You know that whole ‘worlds are colliding Jerry’ episode on Seinfeld.”

“There is no independent Pete to kill.” Peter laughed. “Seriously, if you’re interested, come to class with me.”

“What about Mr. Lee? Won’t he mind if I just show up?” The idea had some appeal for him. He was always intrigued by martial arts, but never had the time as a kid.

“We let people come to the first class for free,” he explained. “After that, I’ll talk to him. I don’t think he would charge you given you’re my boyfriend, but I don’t want to presume. If he does, I can teach you on my time.”

“Or I could pay for classes like every other rich kid,” Jason suggested.

“I guess that’s one way to describe you.” Peter didn’t appear to like the, ‘rich kid’ reference.

“I’ll leave that part to you.” Jason tried to wiggle out of an awkward situation. “But I’m not against paying for class. I have a little extra money left over every month now that I’m not eating out all the time. Spending it on this would keep dad from cutting me back thinking I don’t need it.”

“As I said, I don’t think Mr. Lee is going to charge you if you want to keep taking classes, but if he does we can talk about it.” Peter appeared to like the idea of Jason coming to class.

“Okay deal.” Why worry about it until it became an issue, he figured.

“So are you coming?” Peter pressed.

“Today?” Jason had not expected to start today.

“Yeah, no time like the present to start.”

“Um sure, why not.” Jason wasn’t sure if this was a good idea, but he had nothing else to do today that would prevent him. “Do I need to wear anything special?”

“Just sweats. If you like it and are going to continue, I have plenty of robes that will fit you.” Peter looked excited by the prospect of Jason joining his class.

Jason had no idea what to expect, but if it made Peter this happy he was all for trying. “Let me get my keys and we can go.”

**********

“Are you sure you don’t want to go out?” Jason asked, trying to decide which side of the key card to try first.

“What, and waste our hotel room?” Peter leered. “Not a chance.”

“It will be here when we get back you know?” Jason scanned the room making sure the last surprise he planned was here.

“I know that, but I want to spend this night with just you, not a hundred other guys eyeing you hoping to get down your pants,” Peter explained.

Jason knew Peter was insecure concerning the two of them, but hoped it had gotten better. Not that he had anything to worry about, Jason couldn’t imagine being this happy with anyone else.

“I don’t mind other people looking at you.” Jason turned around so he could kiss Peter. “The insanely jealous looks they give me reminds me I have the hottest guy in the room.”

“Whatever.” Peter loosened Jason’s tie. “You might not be worried because you really are the hottest guy in the room. I’m just your boyfriend.”

Jason was still bothered by the lack of self confidence Peter had in himself. “How is it you don’t see how handsome you are?”

“How about we drop this topic and talk about how great tonight was instead?” Peter removed Jason’s tie before moving to unbutton his blue dress shirt.

Jason stopped him at the second button. “No, how about we talk about this lack of self esteem.”

“Jase.” Peter looked very uncomfortable. “Why? You know I don’t see myself as anything special.”

“But I do.” Jason hoped Peter could hear in his words how fervently he believed what he said. “Isn’t that what matters? I can’t stand it when you put yourself down like that. It’s as if you are saying you aren’t in my league, as if that were even possible.”

“C’mon Jason, do you even look in a mirror?” Peter tried to avoid looking at Jason.

“Please, do you?” Jason pushed Peter’s chin up just enough so he could look him in the eye. “Okay, I’m not going to be a total dork and say I am ugly, I know I am decent looking. . . .”

“A bit more than decent Jase. When you walk in a room eyes turn and everyone asks ‘who’s that.’ I’m just there for the ride.” Peter tried to look down again.

Keeping his hand firmly on Peter’s face, Jason leaned forward. “Maybe what you’re seeing is everyone looking at you instead of me. I think you’re so beautiful, have since that first day I bumped into you. Didn’t you notice me staring at you that day?”

“No, I thought you were wondering why I was staring at you.” Peter laughed.

“Then you missed how taken I was with you the first time I saw you.” Jason finally kissed Peter. “And that was before I fell in love with you, so it was total lust.”

“Lust was it?” Peter asked. “So I was just a piece of meat?”

“Well yeah, at first.” Jason felt awkward admitting this. “I didn’t have more to go on than how cute you were.”

This time Peter kissed him. “I was kidding, sort of. When we first met I didn’t know much about you other than you had great legs and a killer smile.”

“I just wish you would believe me when I tell you how adorable you are.” Jason tried not to sound pouty. “Then you wouldn’t worry about someone stealing me from you.”

Jason grabbed Peter’s tie when he didn’t say anything. “Ain’t gonna happen Pete, so stop worrying.”

“Can I worry a little?” Peter started unbuttoning Jason’s shirt again.

Seeing the playful spark back in Peter’s eyes, Jason smiled. “Nope.”

Peter finished the buttons he could reach before pulling the rest out of Jason’s pants. Jason managed to get Peter’s tie off before he remembered his surprise.

“Hold on,” he said, taking Peter’s hands off his belt.

“What?” Peter’s expression made Jason laugh.

“Stop, it’s not like that.” He took Peter’s hand, leading him to a plate of chocolate covered strawberries on the small table beside the bed. “I had the hotel send these up before we got back. I can’t promise they are organic, but I figured tonight was okay to make an exception.”

“Damn.” Peter managed to say through his goofy smile. “You really went all out didn't you?”

Peter’s reaction told Jason he got it right. “I tried. Today was special for me, for us. We only get one first Valentine’s Day together. Had to be sure I got it right.”

He plucked the biggest strawberry he could find on the plate, offering it to Peter before he could say anything. Peter took a bite then grabbed one to feed Jason. Laughing as bits of chocolate fell everywhere, Jason felt so good he forgot he wanted to go clubbing.

When chocolate landed on his tee shirt, they resumed undressing each other, leaving the plate of treats forgotten. They would get back to them later; there was no rush, they had all night. All night, Jason thought for an instant. He could finally look forward to spending all night with Peter on regular basis now that Darryl knew. Things were definitely looking better.

******

“How’s the Wendy thing going?” Darryl tossed his sweaty clothes into his room after they returned from a long run. Today’s work out went considerably better than the last time they ran together.

“So far, no more blow ups.” Grabbing a glass, Jason found the pitcher of water in the refrigerator. Getting a second glass he handed it to Darryl. “But she has been scarce of late. Anyway, she suggested we hang out tonight. Wanna come too, please please please?”

Drinking, Darryl nodded. “What about Pete?”

If his best friend had any reservations about him and Peter, it never showed. “He’s having dinner with his mom, but said he would meet me after that for coffee.”

“I have nothing better to do tonight,” Darryl shrugged. “Maybe one of her friends will be cute and I can get a date of this.”

“Nice positive attitude.” Jason laughed. “I’ll let her know what’s up.”

As promised, Peter met him after dinner. Wendy’s roommate Molly joined them, probably Wendy’s idea when she heard Darryl and Peter were coming along. Even with the limited contact he and Peter had, Jason enjoyed the evening. Being with friends seemed like the natural progress for their relationship, with the caveat that no one but Darryl knew they had a relationship.

Going out with friends also had its drawbacks. Jason was afraid he was going to slip up when he and Peter were around his friends. That didn’t even touch on the fact they couldn't hang out with most of Peter’s friends for fear they would figure out the two were dating.

Decidedly colder than when they arrived at the Java Shack following dinner, the five walked back to campus, shivering slightly whenever the wind blew. Located on the western side of campus, the coffee shop was close to most of the classrooms as well as the original dorms. Wendy and her roommate lived in one of the high rise dorms so the five decided to head there first.

Pulling his peacoat closer, Jason realized he really had to pee. “Can we stop by the student union? There is no way I can make it home without wetting myself.”

“Dude, I keep telling you not to drink so much coffee,” Darryl joked. “You would do better to drink water; great big fountains of it; flowing down a waterfall.”

The other four laughed as Jason squirmed. “D, I am so going to toss a bucket of water in your bed if you don’t stop.”

“It always works on him,” Darryl told the others. “Ever since we were kids, once his bladder gave the signal it was time to be relieved, he is susceptible to suggestion.”

“I need to go now too.” Peter laughed. “You have some power of persuasion.”

The student center was a short detour from the girl’s dorms but was decidedly closer than their building making it the logical place to stop. Jason all but ran to the building as his friends laughed. Peter walked with the others, lacking the urgency Jason seemed to feel.

“I’ll catch up with him,” Peter told the others. “That way you don’t have to wait for me.”

Peter broke into a slow jog, quickly closing the distance between him and Jason.

“Don’t you think it odd that Peter suddenly has to use the men’s room at the same time as Jason,” Wendy asked Darryl.

“Knock it off Wendy.” Darryl shook his head. “Pete’s not chasing Jason. You have to stop with that. He’s just a friend. My friend too.”

“Seems odd to me,” she muttered.

“I don’t think there is anything weird,” Molly said. “Peter drank a lot of tea and water. If I drank that much I would have to go too.”

Wendy glared at her.

“Thank you,” Darryl said emphatically.

Fortunately for Jason, the bathrooms were right inside the front door. Swiping his badge, he went straight for the men’s room. Peter followed a half second later.

“Dag, I drank too much water at dinner,” Jason complained. “The caffeine is making me need to whiz like mad.”

“I would say I told you so, but the green tea didn’t do me any favors either.” Peter laughed. He quickly unzipped and relieved himself. He zipped up and made for the sink as the automatic flush mechanism kicked in.

Despite needing to go so bad it almost hurt, Jason was having problems going. “I need to go so bad, I can’t,” he complained.

“Just relax,” Peter told him, drying his hands. “We’ll wait for you.”

Closing his eyes, he started to do simple math in his head, a trick he learned years ago for when he suddenly got pee shy. Before he did six problems, he felt himself relax and began to urinate. Although the others laughed, he really did have to go. He stood at the urinal for over a minute before he finally finished.

Washing his hands, he thought about how the night went. On the positive side, his closest friends were starting to get used to seeing Peter around. That would allow them to hang out more without raising too many questions.

Pretending they were just friends, however, made it hard to be around Peter. Outwardly Peter seemed to handle the charade better than Jason, but they both expressed frustration when they were alone. It was almost better not to be together in public if this was how it felt.

Taking a deep breathe, he tried to smile before going back to meet his friends. Maybe it would get better with time.

Peter walked out of the building, heading back where he left the others.

“Hey faggot!” A voice called out.

“Jordan knock it off!” Darryl yelled.

“Get out of my face Darryl!” Jordan ignored Darryl, walking toward Peter.

Peter turned toward the voice, as Jordan left Darryl and the girls.

“Yo fag boy, stop chasing my friend.” Jordan stopped five feet from Peter.

Peter glared at Jordan. “Who the fuck are you?”

“Did you hear me, I said stop hitting on Jason you fucking queer.” Venom laced every word.

Darryl and the girls stood a few feet away watching, but not moving.

“You know,” Peter said calmly. “The guys who protest the most that they are straight are usually the biggest closet cases.”

“Fuck you fairy!” Jordan yelled. “I ain’t no cock sucker.”

“Jordan stop it!” Wendy’s cry fell on deaf ears.

“Yeah I bet you just take it up the ass from strangers in the park and still think you’re straight.” Pointing to the greek letters on his sweatshirt, Peter said. “Here’s an idea, Why don’t you go back to your stupid little frat house and let your frat bothers fuck you again.”

Whatever reaction Jordan expected, this wasn’t it. Glaring at Peter, Jordan balled up his fist and lunged.

Jason walked out of the door just as Jordan threw the punch. “Peter!” He screamed, running toward the two.

When Jordan acted, Peter reacted. Too fast for Jason to follow, Peter stepped aside, grabbed Jordan’s wrist, twisting it until his attacker sank to his knees screaming.

“Don’t do that again.” Peter snarled at Jordan as he released his arm. “You won’t like what I do next time.”

As if released from a spell, Darryl, Wendy and Molly ran up the path. Jason was already at Peter’s side when they got there.

“You okay Peter?” He asked, ignoring Jordan who was rubbing his wrist.

“Fine,” Peter snapped.

“Jordan what the fuck is wrong with you?” Darryl demanded.

“This faggot is the guy who sucked off his entire martial arts team in high school,” Jordan practically yelled. “Now he’s trying to fuck Jason.”

“Shut the fuck up!” Darryl’s jaw was so tight Jason could the strain in his neck. “You don’t know shit!”

“Who the fuck is this?” Peter turned from Jason to Darryl and back.

Seeing how upset Peter was, Jason moved in front of him. “Pete, just walk away, let me deal with Jordan.”

“You know this asshole?” He glared at Jason accusingly.

“Yeah we’ve been friends since we were five.” For the first time in his life, Jason was embarrassed to call Jordan a friend.

“Great friend you have Jason.” Peter’s anger stung Jason as he walked away.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Shaking, Jason glared at Jordan. “Peter is a friend.”

“He’s a faggot is what he is.” Jordan stood up, rubbing his wrist.

“So what if he’s gay.” Wendy surprised Jason by defending Peter. “He’s a nice guy.”

“A nice gay?” Jordan mocked. “There’s no such thing as a nice gay. They’re all after one thing; tricking straight guys into letting them suck their dicks.”

“You’re a moron!” Darryl’s body language made Jason get between his two friends. Jason was furious too, but unlike Darryl, he never almost came to blows with Jordan.

“Jordan what’s gotten into you?” Jason struggled to stay calm. Jordan didn’t like Darryl either so it might get ugly given how belligerent Jordan was. “Are you drunk? High? What?”

“Jase, there’s nothing wrong with me. That faggot is trying to fuck you.” Jordan told him earnestly. “It’s what they do.”

Jason flinched as if slapped. Trembling, he could feel his control slipping.

“God you’re such a fucking dickhead!” Darryl yelled when Jason didn’t respond.

“You know, I have defended you forever, but you really are an asshole!” Jason screamed, but was too angry to step back from the edge.

“What the fuck is wrong with you two?” Jordan kept switching his stare from Darryl to Jason and back. “Are you both gay or something?”

“Yes!” Jason yelled even as Darryl said, ‘no.’

Jason wasn’t sure if anyone heard him until he saw the look on Jordan’s face.

“You’re a faggot too?” Jordan spat in contempt.

“Jason,” Darryl whispered, checking to see if anyone heard Jason. His concern was lost on his friend.

“Yes I am, and Peter is my boyfriend!” Jason was so angry he didn’t think about what he was doing, he just reacted. “If you have a problem with that, do something about it!”

He glared at Jordan, daring him to start something.

“What?” Wendy sounded stunned.

“Jase!” Darryl said with more urgency. His attempt to pull Jason back was shrugged off.

“How the fuck were we ever friends, you butt fucking, cock sucking fag?” Jordan snarled.

“GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE BEFORE I KICK THE SHIT OUT OF YOU!” Jason screamed so loud his throat hurt. With his fists balled up he bucked at Jordan causing his former friend to flinch.

“Stay the fuck away from me you crazy fag!” Jordan’s face was a mix of disgust and fear as he backed away from Jason and the others.

Once he was gone, Jason’s adrenaline high evaporated. Darryl and Wendy were staring at him wide eyed and silent. Reality sank in fast.

What the fuck did he do? He just outed himself. Worse, he did it in front of Jordan! Jordan, who would do everything he could to spread the word.

Darryl looked as surprised as Wendy. “Dude, what did you do.”

Jason could see Peter moving toward him, straining to see what was happening.

“Yeah, Darryl I know.” Jason thought he was going to puke as his walls collapsed. Everything he hoped to avoid was now a reality. It was over and he did it to himself. There was no denying it either; he screamed it at the top of his lungs.

Griped with panic, he felt the need to run away as fast as he could. “I am so fucking screwed.” Pushing his way past Darryl and the girls, he took off running full out.

“Jason, wait!” Wendy and Darryl both yelled, but he was already gone.

By now Peter was running back down the path. He arrived a couple seconds after Jason ran off.

“What happened?” He asked.

The three stared at him blankly.

“Darryl, what happened? Where did he go?” The panic in his voice made Peter almost shout.

“He just told us you’re his boyfriend,” Wendy said softly. “Then he freaked out and ran off.”

“Shit!” Peter cursed, trying to get around them.

Darryl grabbed his arm, pulling him to a stop.

“I’ll come with you,” He said. “No offense, but you won’t catch him. When he wants to, Jason can run like the wind and never stop.”

“Can you catch him?” Peter asked hopefully.

“Don’t know, but I can try.” Darryl took off at a dead run, followed by Peter.

“Did you know?” Molly asked Wendy.

“No, I had it all wrong,” she admitted. “I thought Peter was trying to get close to Jason through us but really they already were close. Jason was trying to get us to be friends with Peter.”

So much for being careful. The worst has come to past, now what?

Here is the link to the discussion thread for those who want to let me know the good, the bad, the horrible or if you want to play Seer and predict what is next.

http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/28907-second-shot/

Copyright © 2011 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 5
  • Wow 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

*Cue dramatic music*

 

I guess this is where things take a turn for the not-so-fluffy . . .

 

One little thought: Did you choose to write in 3rd person limited, or 3rd person omniscient? I thought it was limited . . . I can only remember one little paragraph that seemed to slip into someone else's thoughts . . . but in this chapter some scenes take place without Jason being there. It's not a major issue and b/c I'm into the story so much by now it hardly stands out . . . again I only mention b/c when I started writing I was having issues w/ deciding which POV to go with . . . they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/07/2011 06:07 AM, Sara Alva said:
*Cue dramatic music*

 

I guess this is where things take a turn for the not-so-fluffy . . .

 

One little thought: Did you choose to write in 3rd person limited, or 3rd person omniscient? I thought it was limited . . . I can only remember one little paragraph that seemed to slip into someone else's thoughts . . . but in this chapter some scenes take place without Jason being there. It's not a major issue and b/c I'm into the story so much by now it hardly stands out . . . again I only mention b/c when I started writing I was having issues w/ deciding which POV to go with . . . they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Actually, I had this discussion with someone else. The entire story is and has been in 3rd person limited. There is no omniscient. Just because a scene takes place without the main character being there, does not alter this perspective. So long as we don't hear or see things from someone else's perspective, it does not shift from 3rd to Omniscient. What you are referring to - the parts that take place when Jason is in the Student Union or after he runs off - does not contain thoughts or impression from the other characters. Just a description of actions which is acceptable so long as there are no thoughts or impressions from the other characters which I do not believe there are, but will not swear to it. I can send you a copy of the passage from the book I checked - because Anyta and I had the same chat, and I had to look it up to be sure I wasn't mistaken. But you are in good company for pointing it out. Most don't notice.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

“Yes I am, and Peter is my boyfriend!” Jason was so angry he didn’t think about what he was doing, he just reacted. “If you have a problem with that, do something about it!”

Yikes, this is about the worst possible way to out yourself. Sure glad that never happened to me; every time I have done it, it was in a calm rational manner.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/07/2011 10:50 AM, TrevorTime said:
“Yes I am, and Peter is my boyfriend!” Jason was so angry he didn’t think about what he was doing, he just reacted. “If you have a problem with that, do something about it!”

Yikes, this is about the worst possible way to out yourself. Sure glad that never happened to me; every time I have done it, it was in a calm rational manner.

Yeah well sometimes things happen. I think being in the closet and having a steady beau you want to spend time with while at the same time trying to keep your straight friends is hard. One of those things has to give - in my case it was being in the closet AND the steady - so I wasn't too good at managing things :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment

OMG-OMG-OMG!!! He outted himself to the biggest asshole in school. Bitting nails...this is going to go bad fast!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/20/2011 12:13 AM, K.C. said:
OMG-OMG-OMG!!! He outted himself to the biggest asshole in school. Bitting nails...this is going to go bad fast!
Exactly, sucks that the biggest asshole was also once his best friend no? Yeah this is going to go to hell in a hand basket in just about .01 seconds.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh gawd. I hope that nothing is as bad as he thinks it'll be, but I have a feeling it might just happen that way. Argh.

 

Yes, I'm back after a hiatus =) I had to spend some time writing my own stories haha. Aw Poor Jason, I hope he can make it through this without doing something else rash.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/28/2011 02:17 AM, Chey_D said:
Oh gawd. I hope that nothing is as bad as he thinks it'll be, but I have a feeling it might just happen that way. Argh.

 

Yes, I'm back after a hiatus =) I had to spend some time writing my own stories haha. Aw Poor Jason, I hope he can make it through this without doing something else rash.

Rash? Jason? :blink: no comment, but let's just say it's a good thing there isn't a cliff anywhere around. 0:)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/28/2011 02:17 AM, Chey_D said:
Oh gawd. I hope that nothing is as bad as he thinks it'll be, but I have a feeling it might just happen that way. Argh.

 

Yes, I'm back after a hiatus =) I had to spend some time writing my own stories haha. Aw Poor Jason, I hope he can make it through this without doing something else rash.

Rash? Jason? :blink: no comment, but let's just say it's a good thing there isn't a cliff anywhere around. 0:)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh the card! Yes, it was sweet, but poor Jason shoul, dn't beat himself up--he was romantic too. The chapter starts out so wonderful and then BAM stupid Jordan enters the scene.

 

Haha, read the reviews above--indeed, I DO remember that discussion we had ;) I've been looking out for similar effects in other books too and I think I've come across it one other time with the camera-like third perspective.

 

Anyway, back to Jason. *bites nails --I wonder where Jason ran off? :P Now I can visualize this all so much better, btw! I keep those fields where he goes running in my head.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/06/2011 06:57 AM, AnytaSunday said:
Oh the card! Yes, it was sweet, but poor Jason shoul, dn't beat himself up--he was romantic too. The chapter starts out so wonderful and then BAM stupid Jordan enters the scene.

 

Haha, read the reviews above--indeed, I DO remember that discussion we had ;) I've been looking out for similar effects in other books too and I think I've come across it one other time with the camera-like third perspective.

 

Anyway, back to Jason. *bites nails --I wonder where Jason ran off? :P Now I can visualize this all so much better, btw! I keep those fields where he goes running in my head.

Well I don't think I showed you the soccer fields I had in mind cause they aren't around here, but the play ground/park across from Peter's apartment was one of the things we saw. Well about Jason's insecurities, he is still feeling his way with Peter. First real relationship ever so he's bound to have issues or so I thought :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow, lots of drama there at the end. Thank god Daryl was such a good friend and Wendy didn't seem too upset either. It's too bad Jordan reacted like that, but it's nice that Jason is finally standing up to other people over his relationship. it's obvious that he's happy with Peter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/12/2011 04:28 PM, intune said:
Wow, lots of drama there at the end. Thank god Daryl was such a good friend and Wendy didn't seem too upset either. It's too bad Jordan reacted like that, but it's nice that Jason is finally standing up to other people over his relationship. it's obvious that he's happy with Peter.
Jordan's issue in my mind is not so much Jason was gay as much as what Darryl said - he only wants to be with people who make him look better. Trashing Jason makes him look better but that's not to say he doesn't dislike gay people either - but I'll just stop there :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Jodran shud be shot!!

Umm.. i know you're planning the whole courtroom scene... is there a chance someone could sneak in a taser? 0:)

i dunno.. jussayin! :whistle:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/18/2011 05:09 AM, Frostina said:
Jodran shud be shot!!

Umm.. i know you're planning the whole courtroom scene... is there a chance someone could sneak in a taser? 0:)

i dunno.. jussayin! :whistle:

Taser? Girl you're too nice - I'm thinking an eye for an eye a baseball bat for a baseball bat. :P Or Jordan sharing a two man cell with two big hairy men who like them some college boys. :devil: Since were jussayin 0:)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

SPOILER

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ohh come off it all peters got to say is, he said hes gay

to shut that homophobic a**hole up "simple" :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/30/2011 10:12 PM, mr curiosus said:
SPOILER

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ohh come off it all peters got to say is, he said hes gay

to shut that homophobic a**hole up "simple" :)

Well, I suppose that might work, but then of course he'd be outing jason which I'm not sure would do wonders for their relationship - but yeah, I think that is one way thing could have shook out :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment

you were right - it does get better and better..thumbsup.gif Poor Jason coming out in front of that homophobic so-called friend though !! Sometimes one can act first and regret it later *deep sigh* sad.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/11/2012 11:15 PM, Slytherin said:
you were right - it does get better and better..thumbsup.gif Poor Jason coming out in front of that homophobic so-called friend though !! Sometimes one can act first and regret it later *deep sigh* sad.png
Jordan is indeed every bit a 'friend' as Darryl said in Chapter 1. Loyalty can sometime blind you to what is really there. Sadly for Jason, his loyalty to Jordan was not returned in kind. Thanks for reading, but you've got a bit to go still :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..