Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Second Shot - 7. Chapter 7: Three's a Crowd

Wendy's attempt to get Jason alone for a day doesn't work out quite as she planned.

Circling east around campus, Jason ran south, then north and finally west toward his goal; Peter’s apartment. Leaving before Darryl got back allowed him to visit Peter without raising suspicions; or at least that was his thinking. Tomorrow being Thanksgiving, he was going home for a few days. This was the last chance he would have to see Peter before he left.

Beyond the few blocks of restaurants and other shops lay a stretch of road he rarely used before he met Peter. After just a few dates, they seemed oddly familiar. Soon he would reach the car shops with their half empty bays. Then he would run past the small trucking yard that housed an assortment of construction vehicles along with a couple panel trucks. The landscaping company was the last major property before the road slowly gave way to residential neighborhoods. Peter’s apartment was not far from the industrial buildings.

A block north of the main road, Peter’s building was marginally more desirable than those on it. It was not, however, far enough removed to let one forget the activity that coursed along the route on a daily basis. The low buildings separating the apartments from the heavily trafficked street did little to block the noise all those cars created; they didn’t even serve to block the view.

Fortunately Peter’s unit overlooked the small park across the street and not the main road. Thank god for small favors, Jason thought as he sprinted as fast as he could up the side street toward the front of Peter’s building.

As he raced the last block, he noted yet another resident give him an odd look. Where Graydon students so rare that people who lived here felt the need to stare at him? Surely someone else had come this way to run before. Recalling the less than desirable areas he ran through to reach Peter’s slightly less undesirable neighborhood, Jason figured he was probably a rarity.

Breathing hard, he stopped in the parking lot, disappointed Peter’s bike was not there. Shit, he beat Peter. Checking the sky, he knew it would be dark soon; dark and colder. He didn’t bring anything warm along with him having left things in Peter’s apartment earlier in the week.

Rather than stand around getting stiff and cold, Jason slowly ran back toward the side road then turned left, away from the main street. With no idea how good or bad the surrounding area was, he began a slow jog around the two square block park, hoping Peter would be home when he completed a loop.

Halfway around he heard, then saw Peter drive into the parking lot. He used the cement path that bisected the park as a shortcut back to Peter’s building. To his right there was grass, a path and a few benches; left was a playground complete with swings, a ladder, a set of monkey bars and a few seesaws. Both halves sat unused on the crisp November day. Not surprisingly given tomorrow was Thanksgiving; half the town was away, the other half getting ready for visitors.

To the disappointment, nay disapproval of his mom, Jason was not going home until first thing in the morning. Worse, he was coming back to school Friday afternoon. Apart from wanting to see Peter, something he probably couldn't do easily since Darryl was coming back the same day, Jason wanted to be on campus so they could meet early Saturday for the train ride to Philadelphia. Wendy was coming back with Darryl and the three would meet at her place to ride to the Amtrak station east of Harrisburg.

“Do you always run that slow?” Peter laughed as Jason ran across the park. “I could run backwards faster than you.”

Jason stuck his tongue out. “Even after running here, I still have enough left to beat you anywhere you want and back.” Never having seen him run, Jason hoped Peter didn’t accept the challenge.

“What?” Peter teased. “All you did was run here from your place.”

“Yeah, south around campus then west,” Jason explained. “I would need another run if I just came west from my place.”

“Wait.” Peter stopped before he opened the front door. “You ran passed the field house, around campus then north until you reached Otis Street?”

“Yup.” Jason finally got a kiss when they were inside the vestibule. “It’s still a bit short, but I tried to run faster to make up for the reduced mileage.”

“You ran all that way AND beat me here?” Peter grabbed his mail before heading toward his apartment.

“Um, yeah.” Jason smiled following Peter up the stairs. “Did I mention I love looking at your ass going up the stairs.”

“Whatever,” Peter shook his head. “I don’t have enough to watch Jase.”

“Au contraire.” Peter turned the corner just before Jason could grab him. “Looks good from my vantage point.”

“Please Soccer Boy,” Peter said. Jason thought ‘soccer boy’ was cute coming from Peter so didn’t complain. “With all the great asses you get to see playing soccer, mine has to be low on the list.”

“Nope,” Jason finally managed to get behind Peter. “This ass is special. It comes with a really hot guy attached.”

Wrapping his hand around Peter’s waist, Jason pulled him back so he could kiss the back of his neck. Peter spun so he could kiss Jason before he unlocked the door.

“I read this article that said heading a soccer ball damages a soccer player’s vision.” Peter quietly locked to door. “Especially their ability to determine who is hot or not.

“Must have been written by an ugly jilted woman,” Jason laughed. “My vision is perfect.”

Peter grabbed Jason’s hand leading them toward the bedroom. “If I argue that your vision is faulty you’ll get mad.”

“Damn right.” There was no humor in Jason’s voice. He hated when Peter talked bad about himself. “I know the goods baby. You da goods.”

Neat when they entered, Peter’s room always looked the worse for Jason’s arrival. “Instead of arguing,” Peter’s face lit up. “Wanna shower instead? Then we can eat?”

Peeling his sweatshirt over his head Jason looked for a place to put it. “Of course, I thought you’d never ask.”

Holding his hand out for Jason’s sweat shirt, Peter tossed it on the ground. “Don’t worry about where the clothes go, just get them off.”

“Naughty wicked boy.” Jason laughed. When Peter started to undress, Jason quickly removed the rest of his sweaty cloths. “I love it.”

Sitting on the futon, music playing softly in the background, Jason rested his head against Peter’s chest. “Pete, dinner was awesome.” Jason forgot how much he enjoyed eating at home. He and Darryl were lousy cooks. “But I think I ate too much.”

“Relax,” Peter said. “We can just sit here for a while.”

Afraid he might drift off, Jason kept forcing his eyes open whenever he closed them. “I kind of need to get home soon. Darryl and I are driving back to school on Friday. We are blaming each other for needing to come back so soon. Because of that, we better get home early for Thanksgiving.”

Peter laughed, joined by Jason. “That sounds like a smart move. His reason must be to see his girlfriend. What reason did you give him for wanting to get back?”

“The truth,” Jason answered. His smile would have been a give away had Peter been able to see him. “I told him I didn’t want to be stuck at home all weekend.”

His smart remark earned Jason a swat on the stomach. “Keep it up and I might not want to see you this weekend.”

“Oh speaking of that.” Jason sat up so he could face Peter. “How about you come with us to Philly?”

“Oh yeah that’s a great way to be subtle Jase.” Peter laughed. His smile faded when Jason didn’t laugh. “You’re serious?”

“Yeah.” Jason nodded. “I thought about it. I can say I ran into you tonight, you asked what I was doing, I told you about the Philly trip. When I asked you what your plans were, you said nothing, so on a whim I invited you to come along.”

“And you think that won’t raise suspicions?” Peter didn’t reject his idea outright. That encouraged Jason.

“What do you think they are going to do?” Jason asked. “Come right out and ask, ‘Jason are you gay?’ I don’t think so.”

Peter shook his head. “It isn’t so much what they say, but what they think that’s important.”

“I know.” Jason shrugged. “But I figured if I ask it won’t seem odd them; I get shit all the time for asking people to join whatever we’re doing. AND,” he paused for effect. “Darryl already knows I want as many people around as possible for the trip.”

“You don’t think this is a bit much?” Peter still didn’t sound convinced.

“Well,” Peter’s reaction didn’t bolster Jason’s confidence. Frowning he said, “I guess you don’t want to hear the rest of my idea.”

“There’s more?” Peter tried to draw Jason back in, but he resisted.

“Yeah, I figured you could offer your couch as a place for me to stay. Then when Wendy objected, and she would, you walk off in a huff saying it was just an offer to use a couch, not sleep with you. That would of course shame her, allowing me to point out how ridiculous she is and a couch beat the hell out of my car or someone’s floor.”

“How long have you been hatching this plot?”

Jason smiled at him. “Since I woke up Saturday morning in your arms. The details came to me as I ran over. I do my best thinking when I’m trying not to focus on how far I still have to go.”

“You really think that idea will work?” Peter still sounded skeptical.

“Wendy is friends with some guy named Brian who is really out.” Jason explained. Before he could continue Peter interrupted.

“I think I know who you’re talking about.” Peter almost scowled. “Not too tall, blonde, cute face, but sort of skinny fat.”

Jason burst out laughing. “Skinny fat?”

“Yeah, you know,” Peter laughed with him. “That’s where a skinny person lets himself go and starts to get a gut, but the rest of him, arms, legs, etc, stays skinny.”

“Ewww.” Jason wrinkled his nose. “Nasty.”

“You were telling me about your terribly clever plan to spend Saturday here without everyone knowing.” Peter reminded him. “Somehow we got side tracked by Brian, the campus flirt.”

“There’s a story there.” Jason arched his eyes. “But I’ll come back to that when I’m done. Wendy will immediately feel bad that she thought the worst of you. When I get upset, she will think I’m doing it to make you realize I don’t share her feelings.”

“That sounds, um dangerous,” Peter said. “I’m not sure this is a good idea Jason.”

Jason frowned again, nodding. “If you think it’s suspect then I’m not sure it’s a good idea.”

“Actually Jase, I think the first part is cool.” Peter pulled him closer again. “I can pretend to be pathetic and friendless.”

“Pete,” Jason sat up again. “I didn’t mean it that way.”

“I know, I was just teasing you.” Peter kissed him and pulled him back. “Seriously, I think it would be fun to go. It’s the ‘offer to let you crash here and you accept’ part I need to think about.”

Content to lay next to Peter, Jason considered his plan again. He wanted, no make that needed, to find a way to bring Peter into his circle of friends in a way that didn’t make it too suspicious. Judging from Peter’s reaction, his idea wasn’t near as good as he thought. How suspicious would Wendy and Darryl be if Peter just ‘offered’ to let him crash here? Peter seemed to think they would figure it out.

“You’re quiet Soccer Boy.” Peter’s voice broke his thoughts.

“Just thinking.” Jason kissed the arm around his shoulder. “If you don’t like the idea, I’m not sure it’s so great.”

“I didn’t say it was bad,” Peter tried to clarify. “Let me think about it first.”

“Thing is, if you don’t think it’s good, it probably is a bad idea.” Jason said. “I mean, if it strikes you as odd, that’s sure to be their reaction too. The goal was to make it seem normal to have you around not raise questions about us.”

“No, we don’t want to advertise our relationship, but the idea does have some merit.” Peter agreed. “Let me think on the second part. If I think it is workable, we can do it.”

“Works for me,” Jason felt like it might work. “You’re the smart one in this relationship.”

“Oh?” Peter laughed. “So what does that make you?”

“Lucky.” Jason pulled Peter’s arms tighter around him.

“Wow,” Peter said softly. “That’s a good answer, I have no come back for that.”

Wiggling to turn around, Jason looked up hopefully. “If you don’t have anything clever to say, how about you kiss me instead?”

“Tell me again,” Darryl locked their door behind them. “Why is Peter coming? We barely know him. It’s a two hour train ride, then all day. What if we all hate each other?”

Darryl’s skepticism made him squirm. Was he digging deeper behind things? If this was Darryl’s reaction, he wondered what Wendy must be thinking. “Wendy put you up to that didn’t she?” Jason asked on a whim.

“How’d you know?” Darryl said sheepishly.

“You’re like me,” Jason laughed at the absurdity of that statement. “You never worry if we’re going to hate someone. People get the benefit of the doubt. That sounded like a bitch from Wendy for bringing more people along.”

“Yeah, she wasn’t happy.” Darryl confirmed.

Jason was surprised she never said anything to him. He expected at least one call asking for an explanation. Her silence didn’t fill him with hope his plan would work. Voicing her complaint to Darryl was not a good sign.

“Shocking.” Jason rolled his eyes as he unlocked his car. “I told Peter we’d come get him first. That way I won’t hear Wendy complain. Even she won’t do it in front of Peter.”

“Damn, when did you get so devious?” Darryl laughed.

If you only knew. Jason thought. “This trip is bringing it out in me.”

They didn’t say much on the short ride to Peter’s apartment. When Jason turned off the main road, Darryl started looking around. “He lives here?”

“Dial back the scorn dude,” Jason warned. “He’s kind of self-conscious about it.”

“No wonder he practices martial arts,” Darryl shook his head. “You need to be able to defend yourself living here.”

“Geez D, you make it sound like a crack infested war zone.” Jason laughed to hide his desire to defend Peter’s neighborhood. “Sure it’s a bit rough compared to Shangri-La, but this is pretty normal for most places, I think.”

They both laughed.

“How many ghetto’s you been to?” Darryl kidded him.

“About as many as you D,” he pointed out. Peter was waiting outside, sitting on his bike.

“Nice wheels.” Darryl’s voice had a hint of envy.

Darryl hit the unlock button so Peter could get in the back. “Hey guys. Nice seeing you again Darryl.”

“Yeah glad this time there is no danger of you kicking the crap out of my bro here.” Darryl joked. “I promise to keep Mr. Clumsy away from you.”

“Thanks,” Peter played along. “I appreciate the protection.”

Jason rolled his eyes, pretending to be unamused. “Tell me again why I just didn’t go to Philly alone with Wendy?”

“Hey, if you don’t want company, you can just let us off here.” Darryl pretended to open the door.

Jason quickly hit the door lock button, then hit the kids safety key to freeze the controls. “Not a chance. I need my wingman for this trip.”

“Why don’t you tell Wendy you’re not interested like that?” Peter knew the answer, but he and Jason discussed pretending to not know much about each other.

“I have,” Jason protested. “So has Darryl.”

“The pit bull has her sights set on Jason and she ain’t letting go.” Darryl added.

“Gotcha,” Peter replied. “Thanks for letting me tag along. Only times I’ve been to Philly were for competitions. We never stayed too long so I never got to do more than the hyper touristy things.”

“Not sure this is going to be much better,” Jason warned. “Wendy and I usually head down to the antique stores, then to South Street and finally we hit the big department stores on Market Street.”

“Do you buy much?” Peter asked.

Laughing Darryl answered for Jason, “No. Wendy started this ‘shopping trip’ as a ploy to get close to Jason, alone.” He emphasized the last word. “Last two years, Jason bought nothing and Wendy got maybe one gift each year.”

“Oh boy.” Peter sat back. “Why did I think this was going to be fun?”

Jason couldn't tell if he was serious or just pretending for Darryl’s sake.

“Not your fault Pete,” Darryl answered. “I’m going to bet old Jase here never mentioned the whole Jason/Wendy dynamic.”

Please say no, Jason thought. Stick to the story.

“No he didn’t,” Peter lied. “All he said was you three were going to Philly for early Christmas shopping.”

“Jase has a habit of sugar coating things when he doesn’t want to dwell on the bad.” Darryl jabbed at his friend.

“Thanks D,” Jason pretended to be mad. “It’s good to know I can count on my best friend to have my back.”

“What?” Darryl played along. “I was just saying you are naive.”

“We grew up in the same neighborhood, what does that make you?” Jason wasn’t sure Darryl was joking anymore.

“Hey I’m from New York,” Darryl tried to sound like he was a New Yorker. “I’m deep on the streets.”

Jason laughed so hard he almost had to pull over. “D you lived there for the first three months of your life while your dad finished med school. And it was in a sweet high rise from what I remember of the pictures. Since then you lived in two suburban neighborhoods far from the big city. The only street you are deep on is Hawthorne Lane where we grew up.”

From the back seat he could hear Peter stifling his own amusement at their exchange. “Yeah, you two grew up together. It’s like listening to an old married couple relive something that happened when they were first married.”

“Whatever.” Darryl feigned indignation. “Say what you want, but between the two of us, I’m definitely more streetwise.”

“That’s like being the thinest guy at a fat farm, you’re still fat.” Jason replied. “Being more worldly than me isn’t an achievement.”

They pulled into campus, still laughing. The women’s dorm was a short drive from the entrance, giving them less than a minute to calm down.

Standing inside the lobby, Wendy walked out as Jason neared the doors. Darryl got out and held the front door for Wendy before walking around to sit behind Jason.

“To what do I owe shotgun?” Wendy asked Jason.

“Beats me,” he said honestly. “I didn’t know Darryl was going to give up the seat that has his ass print worn into the leather.”

“Oh my god!” Wendy screamed. “You didn’t just say that.”

Darryl and Peter were snickering in the back. “What?” Jason asked.

“That’s so nasty.” She continued to protest.

“What did I say?” Jason was genuinely confused by what he said that was so offensive.

“I’m sitting in a seat molded to Darryl’s butt?” She mocked. “You don’t know why that’s offensive? Jason, you’ve been hanging around the soccer team too long.”

“Personally, I like hanging with the team,” Jason said. “I don’t have to worry about offending any of them.”

“Way to man up there Jase,” Darryl chided. “Just because you hangout in a locker room doesn’t mean you can act like that outside it.”

“Sage advice from the man who took a date to a sports bar on Valentine’s Day to watch a Premier League Match.” Wendy pointed out.

Jason could see Peter and Darryl exchange looks after her defense of him.

“Arsenal vs. Man U was the game of the year,” Darryl told her. “I couldn't get it at home to tape.”

“That was your last date with Deb wasn’t it?” Jason asked.

“Yeah, she didn’t get me.” Darryl shook his head.

Awkward was how Jason thought the ride to the station went. Wendy vacillated between defending him to shooting him daggers. Occasionally he would make eye contact with Peter using the rearview mirror. Once Peter winked, another time he smiled, but when he rolled his eyes, Jason almost gave it away by laughing.

One issue he had not worked out in advance was the ticket. At $42 a round trip, it was going to put a strain on Peter’s budget. Hoping to avoid a problem, he let Wendy and Darryl go first, then bought two tickets.

“Here,” he hoped his expression told Peter not to make a fuss. “I hit two by accident. You can pay me later.”

“Um, sure.” Peter playing along though not happy. “I was going to charge mine, but I can get cash from an ATM later.”

Jason took out his phone pretending he got a text. “Text from Dean,” he lied. “Wants to know if I can find an Eagles hat for him.”

“Doesn’t he have enough hats?” Darryl asked.

“It’s his thing.” Jason shrugged. Fortunately Dean did like hats. Now he would need to get him a hat if the others reminded him. Using the distraction he sent Peter a text.

“sorry, forgot the tix were $42. Don’t make a fuss we can talk when we get home.”

After he sent it he started a message to his brother asking if he wanted anything. Not looking up when Peter’s phone chimed, Jason continued to type until Peter checked his message.

“What did you send back?” Darryl asked.

“I asked if he expected a gift or he was paying,” Jason said. “If he’s paying I told him I would get it, if it’s a gift, he can wait for Christmas to see if Santa Jason gets him one.”

Before taking his hand out of his pocket, he turned the sound off. Dean would probably not respond for hours, but he didn’t want everyone to know his phone beeped just as Peter finished sending a text. Whatever Peter said, they did not need to discuss it now.

Wind swirled around the platform, making it feel colder than it was. Twice Wendy tried to back into him, claiming she needed a wind block. He knew what she really wanted was for him to hold her. The effort not to get irritated was starting to wear on him already. The trip had barely begun and she was working his nerves. Did she know what she was doing? Were her actions part of a plan she hoped would bring them closer? How could she think she was endearing herself to him by constantly trying to get him to do what he clearly didn't want to do?

He knew it was not going to get any better either. From the looks of sympathy he was getting from Darryl and Peter, his friends were aware of his discomfort. Short of embarrassing her, there was little any of them could say to halt her annoying conduct.

Being only the second stop, the train was nearly empty. The first compartment they entered had numerous empty seats, thankfully none of the end seats were free. These would have allowed the four of them to sit in facing each other, two across. Their options were sit four across, two on each side of the aisle; or in two rows, one in front of the other. They opted for the later.

Wendy chose where they sat taking her seat first. Darryl earned his undying thanks, for reasons he wouldn’t fully understand, by sitting next to her. The look he got from her was withering. Either he didn’t notice or he was determined to be Jason’s wingman, because he didn’t seem fazed by her glare.

Making for the seat in front of their friends, Peter took the window, sitting before Jason could take a seat. He used the time when he was out of sight to read his text from Peter.

‘I can pay for my tix!’ It read. He turned toward Peter showing him the text. Peter frowned, but didn’t say anything. Feeling ridiculous texting the person sitting next to him, Jason nevertheless wrote back, ‘I know but its a big chunk of $$ for doing me a favor.’

Darryl and Wendy were talking quietly, which allowed Jason a moment’s respite. When his phone vibrated he saw Peter’s response. ‘no way u r buying dinner 2nite!’

Rather than frown, Jason gave Peter a look of defeat. Nothing about this day was going right. He had wanted to take Peter to a nice restaurant, someplace away from campus that they could relax at. No chains, no fast food, nothing too common like a Chinese restaurant. Jason asked a few discrete questions, checked on line and finally found a well reviewed Italian restaurant not too far from campus. Those plans would have to wait.

Nodding his agreement, he dropped his hand onto his lap. Staring blankly at the seat ahead, his phone vibrating drew his attention.

‘what’s wrong?’ Peter’s face matched the message he sent.

‘Planned 2 take u some place nice - sorry I ruined our nite.’

“What are you two anti social slugs doing up there?” Darryl asked. “Do I need to impose the Coach Slewman no cell phone rule for this trip?”

Jason laughed. Leave it to Darryl to change his mood. “Texting is allowed even under the Statutes of Slewman.”

“This aint those, these are the Mandates of Minger and I say texting is to be discouraged while your friends are around.” Darryl surprised Jason by reaching for his phone. Only luck prevent Darryl from reading all Jason’s messages; his hand hit the back of the seat dropping the phone back onto Jason’s seat.

“Hey! Watch it.” Jason protested. “I can’t afford a new phone right now.”

“Sorry Jase,” Darryl sat back.

“No texting sounds fair.” Peter winked at Jason as he put his phone away.

“Yeah, sorry guys,” Jason agreed, stuffing his iPhone back in his pocket.

After the great text interdiction, Jason and Peter spent most of the trip kneeling on their seats turned around. Switching from happy to cranky, Wendy’s mood swings were grating on more than just Jason as the train pulled into 30th Street Station.

The cab ride to the antique row found Jason sitting between Darryl and Wendy. He wondered how perverse it would have been if Peter sat where Darryl was right now. If Wendy knew how impossible it was for her to get what she wanted, Jason thought, maybe she would stop. That, however, would require him to out himself, an equally impossible result.

Passing from shop to shop, Jason could feel his own frustrations rise. Here he was, away from campus in Peter’s company, with no chance to do anything except look at him. Every chance she got, Wendy tried to isolate him from his friends. If he walked over to look at something, she was at his side. More than once he turned only to bump into her. Jason suspected that was by design, as if she were anticipating which way he would turn so she could stand there.

In a small shop near an alley, Jason found a small figurine of a boy and his dog. For reasons he could not articulate, he knew his mother would like it. The piece he wanted was inside a glass cabinet, surrounded by other statuettes. Trying to get a better look, he bent down to look at it from below and hit is head against Wendy’s. Hearing Darryl snicker behind him, his irritation passed his limits to hold it down.

“Jesus Wendy, would you give me a bit of space?” He snapped. If he noticed her rubbing her head in pain, he didn’t care. “You’ve been on me like a second skin, I can’t take it anymore.”

Her body instantly went rigid, as if he slapped her. Red faced and near tears, she fled the store, leaving an angry Jason shaking his head. Darryl stopped laughing.

“Oh damn,” Peter muttered.

“Dude, you were right,” Darryl said. “I can’t believe you held off that long.”

“I can’t take it D, I just can’t.” The tension in his voice matched his body language.

“Chill bro,” Darryl told him. “She had that coming. Relax for a minute and I’ll go check on her.”

“Thanks Darryl.” Jason’s mood was so foul, even Peter’s presence couldn't help. If anything, being this close and not able to say or do anything only added to his unhappy disposition.

“You okay Jase?” Peter massaged Jason’s neck briefly. “You’re so tight you feel like you’re going to explode.”

“Honestly Pete, what the fuck is she doing?” Jason asked. “I havn’t given her one single vibe that I enjoy what she is doing; nothing. What the fuck would possess her to keep trying more of the same shit that isn’t working?”

“Whoa there Soccer Boy.” Peter kept looking toward the front of the shop. “Love isn’t always rational.”

“Swell,” Jason groaned. “So now she’s in love with me.”

“Now?” Peter arched his eyebrow. “You think this just happened?”

“Yeah I know.” Jason rolled his eyes. “But this desperate conduct has gotten worse lately. I don’t get it. There are only so many ways I can say, ‘friends only.’ Doesn’t she realize I’m this close to telling her to go away entirely?” He held his fingers so close you could barely see the space between.

“I can’t say what she’s thinking other than she desperately wants to be your girlfriend.” Peter offered.

Jason looked around to see if anyone was listening. “I have a boyfriend, I don’t need or want a girlfriend.”

Peter smiled, then smirked. “When did you get a boyfriend? And why are you messing with me if you have one?”

“I meant you, Pete.” Jason wasn’t able to play their usual game of innuendo’s. “Is it really so shocking that’s how I think of you?”

“No, just wish we could’ve said it to each other under better circumstances.” Peter admitted.

“I planned a special night, but I blew that too I guess.” Jason was so down right now he almost forgot about the gift for his mom.

“Hey,” Peter pushed Jason’s chin up. “If tonight really matters that much, we can still go. After all you put up with today, I can handle a little something I’m not happy about.”

“Really?” He asked, his mood slightly improved.

“You know I hate letting you pay for stuff.” He said. “But if you went to all the trouble to plan something romantic, it would be the crappy ending to a crappy day if I ruined it. I don’t want to do that.”

“Thanks Pete.” For the first time in hours he smiled. “I feel better already.”

“What were you looking at?”

Jason pointed to the porcelain figure. “I can’t tell you why, but I know my mom will like it. She collects old statuettes like this. I thought I might get it for her as a Christmas gift.”

“So now that Wendy is outside, what’s stopping you?”

“Um, a sales person with a key?” He rolled his eyes, a hint of playfulness returning to his spirit. “I think the smash and grab approach will land me in jail. I don’t look good in prison orange.”

An older man walked around the counter. Neatly dressed in khaki’s and a colorful collared shirt, his near white hair gave him the look of a grandfather.

“You boys interested in something.” He asked.

“Yes, sir,” Jason replied. “Can I see that?” He pointed toward the object.

“Sure you can, son.” He used a key from the bundle around his wrist to open the cabinet. Carefully he removed what Jason wanted to see and carried it to the counter. “Gift for the girlfriend?” He asked.

Maybe it was the way he asked or perhaps the way he looked from Peter to him and back that told Jason the owner was on to them. “She isn’t my girlfriend.” He looked the older man in the eye, then motioned with his eyes toward Peter. “But you figured that out didn’t you?”

“Body language is there for those who know what to look for.” He smiled broadly. “I take it neither of your friends know?”

“Know what?” Peter asked.

“That you and I are a couple,” Jason told him. “He figured it out before he walked over.”

“As I said,” he handed Jason the statuette. “It’s there to see if you know what to look for.”

Turning the figure over, he showed it to Peter. “What do you think?”

“Sorry Jase, I don’t know your mom’s taste.”

The price said $325.00.

“What makes this special?” Jason asked.

“It’s old, probably turn of last century maybe late 1800’s.” He turned the figure back and turned it over. “You can see from these markings it was made in Austria. The artist’s information is right here.” He pointed to a mark underneath the manufacturer. “If you look up this name, you’ll learn this artist worked at the foundry from 1892 until 1914.”

“Does it come with the history?” Jason asked.

“No, but if you give me your email, I’ll send you the literature that explains the markings.” He smiled, handing Jason back the figure.

Looking at it again, he was more sure than before his mom would like it. “Is this price firm?”

His question got a laugh. “Rarely are prices firm in this business. Give me a moment to look something up.” He pushed a pen and paper across the counter. “While I do that, write down your name and email please.”

Putting the statuette down, he tried to see it from different angles. Content he wanted it, he wrote out his information. It surprised him neither Darryl nor Wendy had come back.

“Normally,” the man’s voice broke the silence. “I would say one price and see if you try to bargain me down. But today I’ll just give you my final number. $175.00.”

Jason snickered even as Peter rolled his eyes. “Do you say that to everyone?”

“No, normally I’m better at squeezing more money from customers who don’t know how low to bid.” He laughed.

“What makes today unusual?” Peter picked up the statuette.

“Seeing you two reminds of when I was your age, walking around with my first beau - that’s boyfriend to you younger generation.” Laughing at his own joke, he made Jason smile. “Call me sentimental, but such a good memory has me inclined to do something nice for you.”

“Hey,” Jason smiled to Peter. “I’ll take what I can get.”

Jason handed over his credit card. “Can I get a box for it?”

“No son,” the man shook his head. “I don’t carry a supply of gift boxes.”

Punching numbers in his machine, the owner picked up the statuette and started wrapping it in paper. “The total comes to 185.50 with tax.”

Scribbling his signature on the slip, Jason accepted the bag, smiling at his purchase. This was going to be something different from the usual gifts he gave his mother.

“I’m sure your mother will appreciate the thought.” The man said.

“Thanks.” He replied.

Dread returned as he and Peter moved toward the door. The brief interlude he spent alone with Peter left him hungry for more. Too bad he couldn't ditch Darryl and Wendy; well just Wendy. Darryl had been cool, hanging with Peter while Wendy kept trying to peel him away from the others.

No one was outside when they exited. Jason was tempted to just go his own way and wait for them to call, but he felt bad doing that to Darryl.

“Hey D,” he said when Darryl answered his phone. “Where are you?”

“Not too far, we went to get something to drink.” He said. “We’ll walk back.”

The four walked in relative silence for about two blocks before Jason reached a decision. “Would you two excuse Wendy and me?”

Wendy’s expression told him she knew he wasn’t going to apologize and make it right. Darryl was only to happy to go. Peter looked torn, but knew he needed to go.

He turned around, taking Wendy with him toward a coffee shop they passed a block back. “I figure we need to talk alone.” He said.

Silence greeted his suggestion.

“I don’t know what’s going on, but we can’t keep doing this Wendy.” He said. He was not going to out himself, but he was going to say with some finality there was no hope for them ever being a couple.

“Sorry Jason,” she said finally. “Darryl told me I was on you worse than someone guarding you in a game.”

Jason smiled at the comment. Leave it to his best friend to equate everything to a soccer game.

“Yeah, you were.” He agreed. “I don’t know how to say it any better than I have but . . . .”

“You don’t need to say it Jason,” she interrupted him. “I know. We’re not going to ever be more than friends.”

In her eyes, Jason saw a resignation he had never seen before. Maybe she finally understood or was that just wishful thinking? Once the embarrassment of the moment wore off, would she be back to her usual antics?

“But are you willing to accept that?” He asked as gently as he could. “We’ve had this conversation before, but we seem to come back to it over and over.”

“I have no choice but to accept it.” She hadn’t touching her coffee. “What other option is there?”

“Another option is we don’t hang out anymore.” He suggested. “If being around me makes you this unhappy, maybe I should be invisible.”

Staring into her cup, Wendy didn’t answer right away. Jason wondered how long to give her before speaking again.

“No,” She said finally. “I never wanted us to stop being friends. We’ve known each other too long for that. This is my issue not yours. You’ve always been honest with me so I can’t blame you.”

Jason winced at the last part. Although he wasn’t lying to her, he was not being honest. Being honest meant telling her who he had feelings for, not just saying we aren’t going to be a couple. His ‘truth’ was hanging out with Darryl while he spoke to Wendy.

“I’m glad you want to still be friends,” he said. “That has always been what I wanted. But I just wonder if being around me is too painful right now.”

“J.T., if you bail on me now I’m going to stalk you,” she laughed. “After today, you better not avoid me.”

He smiled hoping to reassure her. “I wasn’t planning to avoid you. I meant you could avoid me for a time and I would understand. But only for a time, not forever.”

“Sorry Jase.” She finally smiled. “I’m not going to disappear anytime soon.”

“Good.” He grabbed his coffee and stood up. “Should we go find the others? We still have some shopping to do.”

“Yeah,” she didn’t seem too happy. “I did all mine already.”

“Oh.” He understood her frustration even more now. She never wanted to go shopping. The trip was supposed to be a time for the two of them to hang out alone. “Should we find those two and go to the Italian bakery then go home early?”

“Sure.” Her smile convinced him she was ready to go home and be alone.

There were fewer available seats when they boarded the train for home. This time Jason sat first, but Wendy walked up a few seats to sit next to Darryl instead. Looking very uncomfortable, Peter took the seat next to Jason.

“Do you think she knows about us?” Peter asked.

“No, I think she wants to talk to Darryl about me,” Jason confided. “You aren’t in her mind, I think.”

“You okay?” Peter sounded concerned.

“I suppose.” Jason nodded. He was afraid to look at Peter too much with his friends this close. “It’s harder being ‘careful’ than I thought it would be.”

“What did you think it was going to be like?”

“I don’t know, but I didn’t think it would be this draining trying to hang out with friends together.” Jason gave him the barest smile. Who knew pretending not to like someone was harder than pretending to like someone.”

They both laughed. Peter kept peering around the seat to spy on their companions. “You’re going to owe Darryl big for this.”

“Yeah,” Jason agreed. Smiling he turned toward Peter, “maybe he’ll want the place to himself every weekend for a month or two as payment.”

“Make it three,” Peter laughed. “You really owe him.”

“You and Darryl seemed to get along fine.” Jason was hoping Peter didn’t contradict him. “Anything you two talked about I need to know about?”

“He asked if you were a good kisser.” Peter waited a second before smiling.

“What did you tell him?”

“I need to do more research, but so far things point to an ‘A’ plus.” Peter gave him a wink. “No, we didn’t talk about anything that will come back to you. Mostly we talked about his past and mine, what we think we’re going to do after school, teachers we had in common, that sort of stuff.”

“You mean you had the chance to pump him for information about me and you didn’t?” Jason tried to look shocked. “Wasted opportunity.”

“Yeah, I know, but in fairness,” Peter’s grin gave him away. “I think it will be more fun getting what I want to know from you.”

Jason wanted to reach over and grab Peter’s hand, but knew he couldn't. Inching his hand over, he gently rubbed the side of Peter’s thigh instead. “Close as I can get to holding you.” He said softly.

“Soon Jase.” Peter dropped his hand, briefly squeezing Jason’s before bringing it back up.

“So Darryl,” Peter said loud enough for everyone to hear. Jason pulled out of the station parking lot, unsure where Peter was going with his comments. “Jason said you have a big plans for tonight.”

“Ha!” Darryl laughed. “I’m not sure I can call it big plans, but he’s leaving me the place to myself.”

“Nice,” Peter commented. “Where are you going Jase?”

Jason froze for an instant. What was Peter doing? Checking for traffic he turned onto the main road. “Haven’t worked that out yet.”

“Gonna sleep in the car again?” Peter snorted softly.

“WHAT?!” Darryl asked. “You slept in the car last weekend?”

What the fuck was he doing? “We agreed you wouldn’t ask where I went last weekend remember?”

“Yeah I also remember saying I didn’t want you sleeping in your car.” Darryl protested.

“And? Who said I did?” He hoped Peter knew what he was doing.

“He just did,” Darryl pointed out.

“I never said I slept in my car Peter,” Jason replied. “I don’t recall telling you what I did last weekend.”

“Um,” Peter was either a good actor or he was generally unsure how to respond. “No, I never asked where you were and you never said where, but I thought . . . .”

“See.” Jason played along. “He doesn’t know either.”

“Jase,” Darryl sounded upset. “I don’t want you sleeping in your car. Get a hotel and I will pay for it.”

“Please D,” he said. “If I want to get a hotel room, I can afford it myself.”

“Where are you staying Jase?” He demanded.

“We agreed . . . .” was as far as he got.

“Screw what we agreed, where are you staying tonight?” Darryl’s anger was more than Jason expected.

“Haven’t worked that out yet,” Jason admitted. “Don’t worry D, its all good.”

“I have a futon you can use,” Peter offered. “My sister says it’s comfortable. It was her bed before she gave it to me.”

“Thanks Peter,” Jason said. “But I’m not sure what I am doing.”

“What’s wrong with staying on his futon?” Darryl’s comment was totally unexpected.

“Um nothing, I just didn’t want to impose.” Jason answered.

“Seriously,” Peter said. “It’s no problem. I’m not going anywhere tonight, I need to go help my mother tomorrow morning, so I’m staying in.”

Jason wasn’t sure how much to protest. “Um, I don’t know.”

“What’s wrong?” Wendy’s tone struck Jason as accusatory. “Afraid to stay with someone who is gay?”

“What?” Jason didn’t need to pretend to be shocked. “Where did that come from?”

“Just wondered,” Wendy snipped. “He’s okay to hang out with when we are around, but Mr. Jock doesn’t want to be seen spending the night on the couch?”

“Ouch.” Jason snapped his head back. “I deserved that why?”

“Brian told me you were not the friendliest when he tried to talk to you last week,” Wendy told him.

Fuck, he forgot they were friends. “He walks up to me while I’m talking to Davis and Eric about training and interrupts to say something. I don’t even know what he wanted.”

“That’s because you told him to get lost,” Wendy scolded.

“No,” Jason was mad now. “Actually, I told him to bugger off, we were talking about something that didn’t concern him.”

“So you did say, ‘bugger off!’ I thought he made that up.” Wendy’s anger was evident.

“What?”

“Damn Jase,” Darryl said. “Even I know that isn’t exactly a good term to say to a gay guy. It means go butt fuck someone.” Darryl turned quickly to Peter. “No offense.”

Peter shook his head laughing. “None taken.”

“Oh shit,” Jason said. “I just wanted him to back off. He was being rude. We were talking and up he comes like we’re old friends and I was killing time waiting for him.”

“So you’re embarrassed by him?” Wendy asked. “Didn’t want your soccer buddies to think you’re friends with him is that it?”

“What’s wrong with you?” He snapped. “I’m not a homophobe. First, he and I are NOT friends. He was being an asshole and somehow I’m the bad guy? That’s fucked up.”

“All he was trying to do was say hi,” Wendy said.

“Whatever,” Jason was really annoyed by this conversation.

“So if this is no big deal, why won’t you stay at Peter’s apartment?” She taunted.

Could this be happening? Did she really just give him an out, no, more than an out, she was backing him into agreeing?

“Fine,” Jason said. “Thanks Pete, I’ll take you up on the offer. If you don’t mind having a homophobic jerk stay over that is.”

He glared at Wendy, but she refused to look back.

“I’ll lock my door to prevent you from bashing me in my sleep.” Peter laughed. “But in Jason’s defense, I know Brian too. He has a tendency to interrupt when he wants to speak to someone. Especially someone he thinks is hot.”

“Do you think Jason is hot?” Darryl joked. “C’mon, you just told us Brian does. What about you?”

“Do you want to hear what I think of you too?” Peter arched his eyebrow. Darryl lost his smile. “I mean fair is fair? If you’re going to embarrass him, should I return the favor?”

“Um, well.”

“I want to know,” Wendy piped in. “Darryl brought it up so him first. Do you think he’s hot?”

“Yeah,” Peter confirmed. “For a straight guy.”

Darryl was clearly embarrassed, but he laughed anyway. “I knew it. Girls and guys all find me irresistible.”

“Whatever Casanova,” Wendy said. “What about Jason?”

“Do we really need to go there?” Jason asked.

“Yes!” Darryl insisted. “Wendy had him talk about me first, it’s your turn.”

“You aren’t staying over,” Jason pointed out.

“What does that mean?” Wendy demanded. “That it will weird you out if he says yes?”

“Or that he’ll be embarrassed having me stay over if you force him to say whether he finds me attractive or not.” Jason argued. “Did you two ever think about that?”

“You’re hot too Jason,” Peter blurted. “There, is this conversation over?”

Peter’s discomfort was clear to Jason even though he could not see his face.

“Yeah, sorry Pete,” Darryl apologized. “It seemed funny until I thought it through.”

“I’m fine, so long as I didn’t embarrass Jason.” Peter said.

Jason was still red faced and uncomfortable. “I’m fine too.”

“No he isn’t,” Wendy said. “Don’t be upset. No one meant anything.”

“First I’m a gay basher, then you put Peter on the spot after he was nice enough to offer me a place to sleep so you can embarrass me.” Jason summarized. “But of course there is no reason for me to upset.”

“Seriously Jason,” Peter started. “I don’t think you’re a homophobe.”

“I am going to drop you off first Peter,” Jason said. “Since I’m imposing on you tonight, did you want to grab something to eat?”

He hoped his voice had enough of the annoyance he still felt to make it seem a normal request.

Peter hesitated. “Um sure.”

“Don’t worry,” Jason added. “It’s not a date or anything.” He glared at Wendy for effect.

“Sorry Jase,” she apologized.

“Yeah me too.” Darryl added. “Sorry to both of you.”

“Why don’t we all just chill and forget this?” Peter suggested. Everyone quickly voiced their agreement.

“Works for me,” Jason said. He looked at the clock, 6:50. Not enough time to go for a run. Even he knew it would be too much for him to suggest showering there. “Damn I wish there was time for a run.” He didn’t need to try to sound convincing, it came natural given the day’s events.

Two weekends together is a good start but can they find a way to be together more.
Copyright © 2011 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 6
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

“Arsenal vs. Man U was the game of the year,” Darryl told her. “I couldn't get it at home to tape.”

 

“That was your last date with Deb wasn’t it?” Jason asked.

 

“Yeah, she didn’t get me.” Darryl shook his head.

 

LOL. Fun chapter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/05/2011 12:44 PM, Sara Alva said:
“Arsenal vs. Man U was the game of the year,” Darryl told her. “I couldn't get it at home to tape.”

 

“That was your last date with Deb wasn’t it?” Jason asked.

 

“Yeah, she didn’t get me.” Darryl shook his head.

 

LOL. Fun chapter.

Thanks - I will say the two chapters that I found the most fun [at least to write ] were 9 & 18 but you are almost to 9 so let me leave it at that. :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I think Jason irritates me because he's so socially awkward. And the way the two of them seem to be stepping on eggshells around each other makes me want to slap them both. It's a fun read though :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/06/2011 07:04 AM, Kavrik said:
I think Jason irritates me because he's so socially awkward. And the way the two of them seem to be stepping on eggshells around each other makes me want to slap them both. It's a fun read though :)
I have to say someone else had the same impression - Jason irritated them too - :/ Definitely NOT the emotion I was going for. LOL Oh well.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

"I think Jason irritates me because he's so socially awkward.."

 

But that's part of his charm. Here he is, the captain of the soccer team, good looking, and has a hot boyfriend. The story would not be believeable if he were not flawed in some way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/22/2011 11:11 AM, TrevorTime said:
"I think Jason irritates me because he's so socially awkward.."

 

But that's part of his charm. Here he is, the captain of the soccer team, good looking, and has a hot boyfriend. The story would not be believeable if he were not flawed in some way.

Two things Trev - 1) Exactly, I didn't think it was irritating but then I am biased and 2) You think Peter's hot? Not blond and not spiky - what gives?? :blink: J/K To me Peter is the hotter of the two but what do I know.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

'Arsenal vs Man U'? :o *shakes head* So NOT fair.. :P Man U wud never be in the "game of the year"! :P :P Gunners.. sure.. :P Let the Devils stay where they belong! :P ok that's off topic... kinda.. so what i wanted to say! Run.. run Jase.. Run like the wind! 'Hurricane Barbara' is brewing and would catch up pretty fast! :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/03/2011 05:37 AM, Frostina said:
'Arsenal vs Man U'? :o *shakes head* So NOT fair.. :P Man U wud never be in the "game of the year"! :P :P Gunners.. sure.. :P Let the Devils stay where they belong! :P ok that's off topic... kinda.. so what i wanted to say! Run.. run Jase.. Run like the wind! 'Hurricane Barbara' is brewing and would catch up pretty fast! :P
Oh come on, I can't please everyone with my choice of teams, it's like if I said Pirates and Phillies, the Mets fans or the Braves fans would howl. Geez, just can't please everyone can you :P
  • Like 2
Link to comment

There is something unbelievably, and deliciously sneaky about Jason in that last scene. How beautifully manipulative he is. I have to say, if I were in Peter's shoes, I'd worry about how well he can lie and twist people's thinking to get his way. Tut-tut-tut. Still, gotta love him.

 

Another nice chappy, hehe, actually, I was reading this when my chatbox dinged. How cool is it that I get to chat with the author? :P Me = Lucky one.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/07/2011 12:12 PM, AnytaSunday said:
There is something unbelievably, and deliciously sneaky about Jason in that last scene. How beautifully manipulative he is. I have to say, if I were in Peter's shoes, I'd worry about how well he can lie and twist people's thinking to get his way. Tut-tut-tut. Still, gotta love him.

 

Another nice chappy, hehe, actually, I was reading this when my chatbox dinged. How cool is it that I get to chat with the author? :P Me = Lucky one.

Really? Sneaky? Seriously, everything he said, Putting Peter on the spot etc, had a total double meaning, kinda :PAs for lucky to chat with me? pish posh, I'm the lucky one :P
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Shopping trip from hell. Jason is so awkward but sweet. I love how he get's himself backed into a corner. Fun Chapter

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/19/2011 11:57 PM, K.C. said:
Shopping trip from hell. Jason is so awkward but sweet. I love how he get's himself backed into a corner. Fun Chapter
yeah that was a trip to forget. Right about the time I came out, I had a female 'friend' expect we were going to get it on. AWKWARD! This had no relation to that moment, but it was a bit of the inspiration for it. My goal with Jason is to show him NOT as self confident as you might expect but still not be unbelievably naive about his looks etc. Thanks for reading. :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

So shopping trip really sucked ass there were no clothes or haircuts raeg not as fun as I thought. *Rageyface* *sadface* Actually the whole trip kinda made me feel bad for them. How suckage is it to be out with someone you care about and not lean on their shoulder, or grab their hand, or peck them on the mouth? I mean it's so funny that people take things like that for granted. And I think a lot of straight people don't get the frustration of being gay and not being out and how it's little things like that, which really, really cast a heavy shadow on your life.

 

 

I hope I like Wendy better soon. Right now I just want to smack her so hard. I get that she's in love, but wow, I mean doesn't she have any self respect? 0o

 

And ohhohh ohhh so devious how they turned that back around on Darryl and Wendy. I hope that doesn't come back and bite them in the ass. The dishonesty is one thing, but the trickery could really be something people feel angry about. Ouch.

 

Anyway, onwards and upwards - chapter 8 'ho

 

Also I know what you mean about characters not meant to come across as annoying. I think some people can get a vibe that was unintentional. Me? I like Jason. I also don't find him socially awkward as much as I find him socially distant. Meaning I think he allows things to happen around him, but tends not to involve himself. Even when he's the center of it all.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/22/2011 12:03 AM, Chey_D said:
So shopping trip really sucked ass there were no clothes or haircuts raeg not as fun as I thought. *Rageyface* *sadface* Actually the whole trip kinda made me feel bad for them. How suckage is it to be out with someone you care about and not lean on their shoulder, or grab their hand, or peck them on the mouth? I mean it's so funny that people take things like that for granted. And I think a lot of straight people don't get the frustration of being gay and not being out and how it's little things like that, which really, really cast a heavy shadow on your life.

 

 

I hope I like Wendy better soon. Right now I just want to smack her so hard. I get that she's in love, but wow, I mean doesn't she have any self respect? 0o

 

And ohhohh ohhh so devious how they turned that back around on Darryl and Wendy. I hope that doesn't come back and bite them in the ass. The dishonesty is one thing, but the trickery could really be something people feel angry about. Ouch.

 

Anyway, onwards and upwards - chapter 8 'ho

 

Also I know what you mean about characters not meant to come across as annoying. I think some people can get a vibe that was unintentional. Me? I like Jason. I also don't find him socially awkward as much as I find him socially distant. Meaning I think he allows things to happen around him, but tends not to involve himself. Even when he's the center of it all.

Wendy's alright - she just has this total crush on Jason -in my experience, most every gay man has at least one straight girl who he liked before coming out but couldn't date - that made almost no sense but I know tons of guys who were in the closet, but had a close female friend whom they saw as 'just' friends but she thought might become more despite the guy thinking he was not encouraging it. -- -- Yeah the whole tricky stuff was bad, but sometimes you go to great lengths to find a way to be together - closets suck for hiding in, especially when you're in love - or serious like :D
  • Like 2
Link to comment

This was a fun capter! And it got even funnier to the end even with all the concerns Jase and Peter had. The drive back and discussion of "hotness" made me giggle. I liked how you corporate cell phone technology to the storytelling since it is modern way of communicating even at the weirdest moments. :D

 

Jase is getting more and more comfortable of being out with his gayness with around people he doesn't know. Peter seems more careful than him. If Jason is everything or nothing type of person, which he seems to be, the change from almost a total closet case is believable and he is moving towards coming out to his friends too. He toys with the idea in this chapter already.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 08/07/2011 02:46 PM, Marzipan said:
This was a fun capter! And it got even funnier to the end even with all the concerns Jase and Peter had. The drive back and discussion of "hotness" made me giggle. I liked how you corporate cell phone technology to the storytelling since it is modern way of communicating even at the weirdest moments. :D

 

Jase is getting more and more comfortable of being out with his gayness with around people he doesn't know. Peter seems more careful than him. If Jason is everything or nothing type of person, which he seems to be, the change from almost a total closet case is believable and he is moving towards coming out to his friends too. He toys with the idea in this chapter already.

Funny how you put Jason's personality. I don't think I consciously thought of him as an all or nothing type, though he is fond of the the expression 'all in'. I think that is a spill over from the 'author's personality' I'm very much an all in type. If I decide to do something, I do or I don't. Interesting observation indeed. Gonna have to watch that in future writings :) Thanks for reading and commenting Maria.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Wow! That was a stressful day shopping! Lol! I don't know how they did it, but hats off to them for managing it, getting Wendy sorted and then even playing the plan for accommodating Jase so all thought it was fine. Totally not normal, but fine with it. LMAO! It was hilarious!
And the nice touch with the old guy in the antiques shop was delightful. His gaydar was working fine for sure!
This is a little like living dangerously, even if hilariously! But splendidly handled from all points. Thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/10/2016 05:55 AM, Jaro_423 said:

Wow! That was a stressful day shopping! Lol! I don't know how they did it, but hats off to them for managing it, getting Wendy sorted and then even playing the plan for accommodating Jase so all thought it was fine. Totally not normal, but fine with it. LMAO! It was hilarious!

And the nice touch with the old guy in the antiques shop was delightful. His gaydar was working fine for sure!

This is a little like living dangerously, even if hilariously! But splendidly handled from all points. Thanks.

Secret? The guy in the shop was based off someone I met when shopping down on antique row in Philly. One hopes he never reads this and recognizes himself (assuming he's still alive my 'memory' was from the 90's lol)

 

-AQG

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 1/22/2021 at 8:52 AM, Chris L said:

Best chapter yet! Laughed almost the entire way through! LOL!!!! 

Glad you're enjoying. I had to go re-read it to see the funny bits. I forgot most of them LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..