Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Second Shot - 8. Chapter 8: Frustration

Having spent the night two weekends in a row, it make for a good bit of frustration when they can't be together.

Following the ill fated Philly trip, Jason found it hard to get quality time with Peter. Emily broke up with Darryl; evidently their weekends together did more harm than good. Add in the need to studying for exams and it was increasing difficult to find plausible excuses he could give Darryl for being absent. Twice he went running, ending up at Peter’s in the early evening, but both of those visits were cut short by Darryl texting to meet up to study.

Twice in two weeks, he frowned putting his book down. Despite it being finals, the library was only half full. Peter said he would meet him here later, but his last martial arts class wasn’t finished yet.

All he got in the past two weeks was a couple hours of kissing, a few lunches where his friends were present and one night where they studied together at the library. Make that two if they met tonight.

On the bright side, Peter was quickly becoming friends with Jason’s circle of friends. Jason smiled every time he happened upon Peter in the company of Darryl, Wendy or even some of his teammates. If it bothered anyone Peter was gay, no one showed it.

Being friends with Peter was good, but how would they treat him if they learned his secret? Peter was never their ‘straight’ friend. Jason had a history with these people, how would they react when they found out he lied to them all this time?

Then there were his teammates. Sure it was fine to be friends with Peter off the pitch and outside the locker room. Being on the same team might pose a bigger issue if Myers’ insults were any indication. Peter tried to point out their lack of animosity toward him, but never pushed too hard. Probably didn’t want to freak me out, Jason thought.

“Okay,” he whispered to himself. “Time to get back to studying.”

He opened the book again, but quickly shut it. Stuffing it in his backpack, he searched for his phone as he made for the library exit. Finding the number he wanted he hit dial.

“Good evening, Harvest Moon restaurant, Annette speaking, may I help you?” Jason just left the library when she answered.

“Hi Annette, you probably don’t remember me, but I’m Peter Gregory’s friend Jason,” he said.

“Yes, I remember.” Her voice more animated than when she answered. “What can I do for you sweetie?”

“Do you do take out?” Jason had no idea if they did given it was not a carry out.

“No, we don’t,” she told him. “Why? What did you need?”

Damn, he cursed silently. “Well, it’s finals and Peter is working tonight so I thought I would surprise him with dinner.”

God was that a give away he was into Peter. Too late. Besides, Annette wasn’t exactly connected to the Graydon student body.

“Anyway, I can’t cook a lick so buying dinner is the next best thing. But if you don’t do carry out, I won’t waste any more of your time. Thanks anyway.”

“Hold on a second, Jason.” Her voice reached him just before he was about to hang up. “I hate that Peter works so hard to get through school. What do you want to order? I will make an exception for you this one time.”

“Really?” Jason’s mood perked up immediately. “Um, well, I, well I don’t really know what he likes.”

Annette laughed. “The first few dates are the most awkward.”

That was subtle, he thought. “Yeah, and I’m not to up on vegetarian cuisine. He had to order for me last time.”

“Well then,” she still sounded amused. “Just come on by, I’ll have something ready for you.”

“Um, thanks.” Jason stumble. “Oh wait.”

“Yes?” Now she seemed ready to go.

He was going to ask her not to say anything about their dating, but decided to keep quiet. “Nothing, just thanks again.”

“You bet, sweetie.”

Slinging his bag over his shoulder he struggled not to run for the car. Getting to the restaurant early wouldn’t help, the food wouldn’t be ready. Putting his bag in the trunk, he sent Peter a text asking him to call when he got finished. They always talked after Peter got off work so this shouldn't sound suspicious.

Starting the car, he tried to remember the best route to the restaurant. His plan was to get the food before Peter called, that way he could beat Peter back to his apartment. Hopefully the food would be ready when he arrived.

Tuesday nights were typically quiet, but more so tonight because of finals. When he found parking in front of the restaurant - albeit across the street - Jason was feeling good about his chances.

Walking in, he immediately recognized Annette standing at the front.

“Jason.” She smiled at him.

“Hi Annette,” he accepted the hug she gave him as if they were old friends. “I really appreciate you helping me like this.”

“Please,” she swatted him playfully. “Anything I can do to help you be romantic is a pleasure. That and I have a soft spot for Peter. He is such a sweetie.”

Jason knew he blushed slightly at her comments. “Thanks again,” was all he could manage.

“You’re welcome,” she winked before walking off. “Give me a minute to get your food.”

Jason sat in the waiting area noting the place was nearly empty. He definitely needed to get his friends to come here. After how great Annette was to him, he wanted to make sure the restaurant didn’t fail.

When he spotted her coming from the back with several take out containers, he got his wallet out.

“What do I owe you?” He asked.

“Don’t you want to know what you’re getting first?” She laughed.

“Um, yeah.” He really didn’t want to know, but realized it would be a give away if he didn’t know what was in the bag.

She rattled off the different containers too fast for him to follow. His face must have told Annette he wouldn’t remember so she marked each box.

“The ones in capital letters are for Peter,” she explained. “That should help you figure out what you ordered for him.”

“Thanks again,” he repeated again. “This is so great. How much?”

“Don’t worry about it,” she said. “Peter is an old friend.”

“No,” Jason shook his head. “I can’t take this without paying. You were so great to help me out. Besides, I’m one of those obnoxious rich kids whose parents send them money each month. Don’t feel bad letting me pay.”

Shrugging he looked down. He hoped he didn’t come across as a jerk, but he also didn’t want to take free food.

When he raised his eyes, Annette was staring at him. Uncomfortable, he quickly added, “I appreciate the offer, really I do, but I want to be sure you’re around for a while. Giving food away won’t help your bottom line.”

Hoping she wasn’t offended, Jason held out his credit card.

“Erin said you were different.” Annette smiled accepting his card. “I’m glad Peter found someone as nice as you.”

“I think I’m the lucky one.” Jason scribbled his signature on the receipt. “He puts up with me.”

Annette rolled her eyes. “Jason sweetie, you don’t really think I believe you’re a bother to him, do you? I saw how he looked at you that night you were here. Now you’re surprising him with dinner. How much more romantic does it get?”

Jason shrugged. “I’m trying, but it doesn’t come natural to me like it does him.”

“Let me tell you a little secret,” she held her hand up to her lips. “It’s hard work being romantic, even for him. You’re doing fine.”

Before grabbing the bag he reached over on a whim to give her a hug. “You’re so great for helping. I just hope he isn’t mad I paid for dinner.”

“If he does, give me a call, I’ll set him straight.” Her voice told him she was serious.

Setting the food on the passenger floor board, Jason figured he would be getting a call soon. The clock flashed ‘8:01’ when he started the car. If his memory was correct, it would take Peter 10 minutes to get home. Assuming he didn’t stop for a protein shake.

Jason frowned at the thought of him sitting in Peter’s parking lot with dinner getting cold while he went to the Student Union for a shake. When he called Jason needed to make sure Peter came right home; no detours.

Jason felt his phone vibrant. Peter’s ring tone filled the car before Jason could answer it.

“Hey sexy.” Jason tried to sound causal. He was only slightly closer to Peter’s apartment than the Dojo so he started driving to preserve his lead.

“Hi Jason,” Peter sounded tired. No wonder, Jason thought; studying all night for finals, taking a test, then teaching two classes had to be draining. “What are you doing?”

“Heading to your place to say hi.” Jason figured that would get Peter to go straight home.

“Really now?” Peter sounded a bit less tired. “Did I forget I invited you?”

Even though it was a joke, the idea he needed an invitation stung a tiny bit. “Well, no, but I thought you might want to see me.”

He hadn’t meant to sound as hurt as he did, but it was not lost on Peter.

“I was joking Soccer Boy,” Peter said quickly. “You meeting me at my place gives me a reason to come right home.”

“Cool.” Jason tried not to give his plan away. “Wanna get something to eat when you get home?”

“Sure.” Peter’s voice was drowned out by the motorcycle engine coming to life. “See you when I get there.”

Peter hung up before Jason could answer. Talking on a cell phone and riding a motorcycle was a recipe for death Peter once told him.

Without speeding too much, Jason made for Peter’s apartment, no longer worried if Peter beat him there. Whether he was there first didn’t matter; Peter would be surprised by dinner either way.

Pulling into the now familiar lot, he didn’t see Peter’s bike. He made it first, but knew it wouldn’t be long before he had company. Collecting the bag from the floor, he popped the trunk to get his books. It was still his intention to study tonight; hell he had to so there was no question he would.

Before he could shut the trunk, Jason heard a motorcycle approach. Anticipating Peter’s arrival, Jason couldn't suppress his smile. He leaned against the passenger door as Peter took off his helmet once he parked.

The bag of food hidden behind him, Jason maintained his goofy smile.

“To what do I owe this very pleasant surprise?” Peter asked.

Jason was shocked at how tired Peter looked. He found going to school full time was hard enough. It made him feel more than a little guilty that Peter needed to work to go to school.

“I was trying to study, but I couldn’t get you out of my mind,” Jason pulled the bag out from behind him. “So, I swung by Harvest Moon to get us some dinner; with a fair amount of help from Annette.”

For a split second Peter appeared mad before his smile won out. “This is so incredible.”

“Yeah?” Jason felt relieved. “You aren’t mad?”

“I’m too amazed to be mad.” Peter walked over to kiss him. “Would be hard to surprise me with dinner if you asked me in advance.”

“True.” Jason followed Peter into his building. “Thank God Annette was able to help me order. Despite your best efforts, I’m still woefully inept when it comes to healthy eating.”

Peter gave him a real kiss when they shut the door. Breaking their embrace Peter said, “Seriously Jason, this was really sweet of you. What turned you into Mr. Romantic?”

“Studying wasn’t going so well and I realized I was hungry,” Jason started to recite how he came to being here. “I also hadn’t seen you today. Knowing you were teaching until 8 or so, I called Annette, told her you were working late then begged for help deciding what to buy.”

Peter peered at the bag in Jason’s hand. “I didn’t think Harvest Moon did take out.”

“They don’t,” Jason confirmed. “But when Annette heard I was trying to surprise you she agreed to help me. Seems trying to be romantic scored me a few points with her.”

“With me as well,” Peter smirked. “Sit down, let’s eat before it gets cold.”

Removing the containers, Jason realized he ruined Annette’s system. “Damn,” he muttered. “I wasn’t supposed to tell you she helped me pick the food.”

“What do you mean?” Peter brought utensils to the table.

“She marked the things she picked for you in capital letters.” Jason handed Peter two boxes. The two with lower case letters he put down by his plate. “I forgot she told me to pretend I did this all by myself.”

“Interesting.” Peter nodded slowly.

“What is?” Jason

“At the risk of offending you, it would appear I don’t need to worry about you cheating on me. You won’t be able to keep a secret,” Peter laughed.

“You didn’t need to worry anyway.” Jason knew Peter was playing, but the idea he would cheat on Peter seemed foreign to him.

Walking around his chair, Peter put his arms around Jason, pulling him in tight. “I never thought you would Jase, I was playing. C’mon, let’s eat. I’m starved.”

Jason couldn't believe they ate everything Annette gave him. Clearly she undercharged him despite his request. How are they going to stay in business if they keep doing this? When he mentioned it to Peter, he just shrugged.

“I can’t say how well they are doing.” Peter picked up the plates. “Erin said Annette told her they were doing really well.”

Helping clear the table, Jason frowned. “I told her I wanted to pay for it. Giving us free food isn’t going to help keep them in business.”

Peter’s laugh was not what Jason expected. “Jase, one free meal isn’t going to be the difference between staying open and closing.”

“I know that Pete, but she shouldn't waste her generosity on me. There are many people who need it more than I do.” Jason wasn’t sure why this bothered him. It wasn’t like he hadn’t been happy to take free food in the past.

Peter stopped in front of him, forcing Jason to smile. “You’re a good person Jason, but don’t worry about it. Annette is smart enough to know what she can and can’t afford to do. Pay her back bringing her business.”

“Oh I intend to do that.” Jason said empathically. Smiling, Peter gave him a hug before moving back.

“I need to take a quick shower.” Peter told him. “I’d invite you to join me, but I really need to get some studying done. Getting naked together will probably end any hope of studying.”

“Pete, you don’t need to explain,” Jason smiled. “Just because I’m here doesn’t mean we have to have sex.”

“That’s disappointing to hear.” Peter didn’t wait for a reply.

Jason watched Peter disappear into his room before he went in search of his book bag. Before making himself comfortable he made for the bathroom in search of mouthwash. Peter was already in the shower.

“Hey Karate Kid, I am getting some mouthwash,” he called out.

“What for?” Peter’s voice was muffled by the water. “I told you already I need to study tonight.”

Jason was slowly getting used to Peter’s sarcastic sense of humor. “Just in case we squeeze some time in for a study break.”

Taking a swig, Jason swished it around his mouth.

“Hmm,” he heard Peter murmur from behind the shower curtain. “We might be able to find a few minutes here or there.”

“Hmm huh.” Jason managed with his mouth full. Spitting he said, “If you manage to fit it in, I want to be prepared.”

“Now you sound like a Boy Scout,” Peter joked. “Wasn’t their motto, ‘be prepared’ or something like that?”

“Don’t know,” Jason said as he left the bathroom. “I never had time to join the Boy Scouts.”

Picking up his history book, Jason found it hard to keep from thinking about the image of a naked Peter getting clean in the shower. When he finally managed to get his mind back on studying, Peter emerged from the bedroom, textbook in one hand, blanket in another.

“In case we get cold.” Peter motioned toward the blanket before sitting next to Jason. Before picking up his own book, Peter kissed Jason. “Just making sure in case we get a break.”

Jason smirked, but didn’t say anything. Despite his difficulty studying, he was absurdly happy.

“Nothing?” Peter asked.

“Huh?”

“Usually you’re good for a smart come back,” Peter laughed.

“Sorry,” Jason moved closer. “I was just thinking I’m way too happy for not being able to study.”

Pulling him over, Peter hugged Jason. When he let go he said, “Okay Soccer Boy, back to studying. If you don’t pass you don’t play.”

“I know, believe me I know,” Jason laughed. Opening his book, he retrieved his notes to concentrate on the areas they covered during the semester. When Peter opened his books, Jason found it easier to study. Studying together, inches apart, left Jason content despite the pressure the looming test imposed. Rather than try to understand it, he focused the positive feeling into his studies.

“Jason.” Jason heard his name, but couldn't figure out who was calling or where it came from.

“Wake up Soccer Boy.” This time he knew the source, Peter, but still couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. Opening his eyes, he realized he was still on the futon in Peter’s apartment. A weight on his chest turned out to be his text book. Turning to his left he found Peter kneeling on the floor, hand still on Jason’s shoulder.

“What happened?” Jason looked around for a clock. “What time is it?”

“12:45,” Peter told him. “You fell asleep again.”

“Shit.” Still trying to shake the cobwebs from his head, Jason started to get up.

“Easy Jason, you weren’t asleep that long.” Peter’s books were on the floor in front of him. “Why don’t we go inside and go to sleep?”

“Pete, you know I can’t,” Jason protested.

“Sure you can.” Peter’s voice held none of its usual pleading. “You’re in no condition to drive, even the few miles back to your place.”

“But . . . .” Was as far as he got.

“Tell Darryl the truth. We were studying at my place and you fell asleep on the futon,” Peter told him. “Seriously Jason, you can’t drive home.”

Too tired to argue, Jason nodded. He let Peter lead him by the hand toward the bedroom. “Just sleep, I promise,” Peter said.

“How disappointing,” Jason smiled sleepily. “Perfectly good explanation for staying over wasted.”

“Ha!” Peter pulled him close. “Since you insist, forget my promise.”

“I never agreed in the first place.” Jason kissed Peter softly.

Keeping the same silly smile, he let Peter undress him before he flopped on the bed. Much as he wanted to do more than just sleep, he wasn’t sure he would stay awake that long. A moment later, Peter crawled into bed next to him. When their naked bodies touched, Jason knew he could manage to stay awake a bit longer.

A cold wind greeted Jason as he walked into the courtyard. Relieved that he finished his last final, he barely noticed his coat was open. When a second blast struck him, he buttoned up. Pulling the knit cap from his pocket, he covered his head before making for the Java Shack to meet Peter.

Unlike Peter, who was not going to stay with his mom for the holiday, Jason was expected home tomorrow. Worse, he was Wendy's ride home. Although he didn’t mind taking her home, he had hoped to stick around for the weekend. With Darryl leaving today to travel with his parents tomorrow, there was no one to notice what he did or where he slept.

“Yo Jase!” He heard Darryl’s voice.

Turning he saw Darryl jogging up the path.

“Hey Darryl,” he said, bumping shoulders in the process. “All packed for the big trip to your grandparents?”

“Yeah sure,” he laughed. “You know me, I’m going to toss some stuff in a bag and go.”

“Make sure that among that stuff is something appropriate to wear for Christmas,” Jason laughed. “If Evelyn has to run out this weekend to buy you clothes again, she isn’t going to be happy.”

“Got that under control bro,” Darryl winked.

“On yeah, you left last year’s clothes at home.” Jason shook his head.

Pointing at Jason, Darryl gave him a curt nod. “Damn straight dude.”

“Aren’t you concerned everyone will notice you’re wearing the same thing?” Jason hoped he didn’t sound too gay.

“Nah,” Darryl pulled his coat tighter as the wind blow harder. “I’m bringing a different shirt. No one will care.”

“Cool.” Jason wished his family was as informal as Darryl’s.

“So what are your plans for the break?” Darryl started walking toward the parking lot. Since it was the same general direction as the coffee shop, Jason followed without objection.

“Staying tonight, then taking Wendy home tomorrow,” Jason began. “Dean and I are going shopping in the afternoon. We don’t have much left to get, but it is a new tradition for us.”

“Like Festivus?” Darryl smirked.

“Fuck yeah, we are doing Festivus again Tuesday,” Jason nodded emphatically.

“Don’t lose the feats of strength again this year dude.” Darryl shoved Jason for effect.

“Again?!” Jason almost shouted. “I didn’t lose last year; we didn’t do that part. We just had dinner together without the ‘rents.”

Darryl laughed. “Any reason to get out of the house eh?”

“You know it.” Jason nodded. “I’m coming back here day after Christmas.”

“Really?” Darryl seemed surprised.

“Yeah, why? Did you need the place?” Jason hoped not. He wanted to be free to hang out with Peter during the break.

“Me? Heck no,” Darryl told him. “Emily and I are broke up for good. I’m just surprised you’re staying here, that’s all.”

“Staying in the apartment this semester was a new experience,” Jason explained. “Unlike the dorm, the apartment makes me feel like I’m an adult. I feel like I moved out of the parent’s house and am on my own.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean.”

“Living with the parents makes me feel like a kid again. Yeah, I know Royce pays for the place, but still, I feel more independent in our place than at home.” Jason knew Darryl would understand.

“Good point,” Darryl agreed. “Too bad I’ll be in South Carolina until New Year’s or I would join you.”

For one of the few times in his life, Jason was glad Darryl was not going to join him.

“Me too,” he lied. “Would have been tight hanging out without worrying about the parents, classes, Coach Slewman.”

“Next year,” Darryl promised. “Hey, I gotta jet. I promised to be home by 4:00 today. If I don’t get moving I’ll be late.”

Jason reached out to hug his best friend. “Happy Christmas D. Wish you were hanging out with me.”

“Thanks Jase, you too.” Darryl hugged him back. “Say, ‘hi’ to Dean and your parents for me.”

“Will do,” Jason nodded. “Tell your folks I wished them a Merry Christmas.”

Darryl walked away. “You got it dude. Be good.”

“Not a chance,” Jason whispered to himself. His wicked grin would have raised a few eyebrows if anyone had seen it.

Continuing toward the Java Shack, Jason noted how few people were still on campus. He wasn’t surprised, the Friday before Christmas, last day of finals, there weren’t going to be many students sticking around. Most of Graydon’s student body lived hours from campus. They couldn't get in the car and drive home like he could.

His phone vibrating interrupted his thoughts. Peter sent him a text.

“Where r u? M here waiting 4 u.”

Tapping the screen as he walked, he sent back, “Almost there, ran into D had to say goodbye.”

Walking faster, Jason made it to the Java Shack a few minutes later. Peter sat against the wall, two cups in front of him.

“Hey Soccer Boy.” He winked. There were enough people in the cafe to prevent them from being more affectionate.

“Hey Pete.” Jason’s face lit up, telling anyone who looked at them that Peter was more than just a friend. Motioning toward the cup as he sat down, he asked, “What did you do?”

“Double mocha with whole milk,” Peter said. “Isn’t that what you like?”

“Among other things.” Jason winked. “Thank you.”

“Any time handsome.” Peter was in a good mood.

“How’d your test go?” Jason took a sip, letting out a sigh of relief.

Peter looked amused at Jason’s reaction. “You and your caffeine. My test went pretty well thanks. What about you?”

“I thought I did well. Nothing looked unfamiliar, so that was good.”

“Excellent.” Peter sat back smiling.

Jason couldn't hold back his own smile. “What?”

“Nothing,” Peter replied. “I’m just happy to see you, it makes me smile. So changing topics, when are you going home?”

Jason frowned. “Tomorrow morning. I’m taking Wendy home. Then Dean and I are going shopping.”

“Oh.” Peter didn’t sound as disappointed as Jason felt.

“Mom is being rather insistent,” Jason shrugged. “I’m, however, coming back on the 26th, unhappy mother or not.”

“Really?” That brought a half smile back to Peter’s face.

“Yeah, Darryl is gone until the second, so I don’t have to worry about him knowing where I am and stuff.”

“So long as I know where you are I’m good,” Peter laughed.

“Planning to tag me with a tracking device?” Jason joked.

Peter shook his head. “Nothing that severe. A collar and leash will do.”

Jason nearly spit out his mocha. “Whatever. You got the wrong boyfriend if you think I’m into that.”

“Ever tried it?” Peter raised his eyebrows. “You might like it.”

“Have you?” Jason demanded, half serious.

“Nah,” Peter laughed. “Just messing with you.”

“Hmm, now I’m not so sure.” Jason shook his head. “I mean you do have all that stuff to beat people with.”

Peter took a moment as if wondering what to say before shaking his head slowly. “Yes, and there are so many leashes and collars in there.”

“Okay so I made that up.” Taking another drink he wondered what happened. How did he get here, sitting with his ‘boyfriend’ after finals? Boyfriend, he repeated in his mind.

“Where did you go?” Peter asked.

“Sorry” Jason realized he must have gone blank. “Just thinking about us, being here with you, that sort of thing.”

“And?” Peter’s face tightened slightly.

A big smile broke across Jason’s face. “And I can’t believe how great it feels.”

Peter’s smile matched Jason’s. “Nice.”

“What are your plans between now and Christmas?” Jason asked.

Shrugging Peter said, “Nothing special. Work some, shop a bit, help mom make dinner Christmas day. That’s about it. How about you?”

“Shopping tomorrow with Dean,” he repeated. “No plans Sunday or Monday. Tuesday is Christmas Eve Eve so Dean and I are going out for dinner.”

“Festivus?”

“Exactly,” Jason laughed. “We did it last year, sort of a brother’s night out. Dean asked me a few weeks ago if we were doing it again so I took that to mean he wanted us to go again.”

“You two are close, aren’t you?” Peter’s question was almost a statement.

“Yeah,” Jason nodded. “What gave it away?”

“Your face,”

Jason stopped smiling. “Damn, I need to get better control.”

“Huh?”

“I bet I get like that when I talk about you,” He explained. “That won’t be too obvious now would it?”

Peter didn’t need to say anything for Jason to know he was right.

“So what are you doing Christmas Eve?” Jason asked. “During the day I mean, I have to be home by 5:00.”

“Don’t know, nothing probably. Why?”

“Wanna go on a lunch date?” Jason leered suggestively.

“Date? With you?” Peter feigned shock.

“Yeah, me,” Jason played along. “I told you I was gay didn’t I?”

“Showed me might be more accurate,” Peter smirked. “You’re an amazing kisser for someone newly converted to the team.”

“Whatever.” Jason knew he was blushing. “Are you free for lunch or not?”

“I am.”

“Good.” Jason put his drink to his lips. “It’s as close to Christmas as I can make it.”

“What was that?”

Setting the cup down, Jason stared at Peter. “That is as close to seeing you on Christmas as I can make it.”

“Gotcha.”

“If you’re free Sunday or Monday, I can drive back to meet you for dinner.” Jason suggested. Did that sound desperate? Probably, he thought.

“Either or both if you like.” Peter’s answer made Jason feel better. “How are you going to explain that to your parents?”

“Don’t know that I have to,” Jason shrugged. “So long as I come back, they won’t ask too many questions.”

“How about Sunday?” Peter offered. “I teach on Mondays.”

“Perfect.” Again Jason’s mind focused on how great he felt. The nagging fear of what would happen if people found out barely registered; drowned out by other emotions. He was tired of worrying so much. Better to enjoy the moment than play what if later on.

“Soooo,” Peter leered suggestively over his cup. “What are you plans for the rest of the day?”

Trying his best to keep from flirting back Jason said, “Let me see. Finals; over. Darryl; gone. Boyfriend; two feet away. Already doing what I planned for the rest of the day.”

“Up for a bit more than sitting here?” Peter’s voice told Jason he was up to something.

“Who’s asking?” He played along.

“Me,” Peter stood up. “If you aren’t busy, I have something I want to do together.”

“Oh really?” Jason asked in an exaggerated voice. “Would that be with or without clothes?”

Peter snorted. “With doofus. Don’t be such a horn dog.”

Jason stood up, but didn’t move. “Sorry, then I have no idea what we’re talking about.”

“My bad,” Peter stopped smiling. “I didn’t mean to be so mysterious. Let’s go do something to celebrate finals being over for the semester.”

It took a moment for Jason to realize what was happening, but when he did, his face lit up. “Should I assume you already have something planned Karate Kid?”

Nodding toward the door, Peter tossed his empty cup in the trash. “You should. I can either surprise you, my preference, or I can tell you what I have planned.”

Suppressing his natural desire to know Jason said, “Why not? Surprise me. Just one question; do I need to change or anything?”

Peter shook his head. “Are you trying to take your clothes for me or something?”

“Not at all,” Jason tried to convey his words were sincere. “We can do that later. Right now I just want to make sure I okay as I am.”

“Perfectly fine.” Peter moved closer in a way that Jason thought he was going to kiss him. When Peter jerked back and covertly surveyed the room, it confirm Jason’s suspicions.

“Being careful is hard for you too I see.” Jason felt his heart pounding. Back came all the anxiety he tamped down a minute ago.

“Caught that did you?” Peter gave him a sheepish grin. “Stop myself just in time.”

“You did.” Jason tried to suppress a reaction, but couldn’t stop from exhaling deeply as they left the cafe. That was as close to being outed as he had come; ever. His entire body tensed when he realized it was only a matter of time before they slipped up. Resisting the urge to run off, he started walking toward campus.

“Jase,” Peter grabbed his arm gently. “I’m really sorry; it just happened. I promise to pay closer attention when we’re out.”

“No,” he shook his head, trying to calm his nerves. “You have no reason to be sorry. I’m the one who should be sorry for putting you through this.”

Jason tried to keep moving, but Peter moved in front of him about the same time Jason remembered he didn’t know where they were going.

“Jason,” Peter put his hand on Jason’s chest. “You’re not putting me through anything. We agreed to do this together, remember?”

“I know Pete,” his lips thinned out as he mulled their situation. “It’s just, I could see how frustrated you were when you realized where we were and had to pull back.”

Opening his mouth, Peter shut it without speaking. Jason nearly told Peter to be honest, but didn’t want to insult him.

“You’re right Jase,” he nodded slowly. “It is frustrating.”

Jason braced himself for what was coming next.

“But I asked you, pushed your really, to take a chance so you could be with me. I knew it wouldn’t be easy.” Peter finally smiled. It wasn’t the happiest smile Peter ever gave him, but it was a smile. “I don’t regret us being together Jason. Hopefully you don’t either.”

Hearing Peter reassure him that his being closeted was not ruining their relationship, Jason forgot the angst he felt moment ago. “Nope, no regrets,” he smiled. “But ask me in the morning.”

This got a small laugh from both of them; that was fast becoming one of ‘their lines.’

“So, what about this mysterious date?” Jason closed one eye suggestively.

“Let’s get your car, we need to drive there.” Peter visibly relaxed now that they were off to do whatever he planned.

Next - Peter's surprise activity.
Copyright © 2011 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Peter calls Jason a number of cute names. Soccer Boy, Boy Scout, and Mr. Romantic.

 

How come Jason doesn't ever call Peter cute names?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/06/2011 07:09 AM, Kavrik said:
Peter calls Jason a number of cute names. Soccer Boy, Boy Scout, and Mr. Romantic.

 

How come Jason doesn't ever call Peter cute names?

That is who they are - Peter is more apt to give Jason pet names, is more confident using them than Jason is. He did give Peter Karate Kid but it doesn't come natural to him. What can you do??
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great chapter. Peter obviously wants to do public displays of affection, but of course, Jason isn't having any of that. It was the same with me and Curt; I had to be very careful not to hold his hand or anything like that when we were in public.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/23/2011 04:19 AM, TrevorTime said:
Great chapter. Peter obviously wants to do public displays of affection, but of course, Jason isn't having any of that. It was the same with me and Curt; I had to be very careful not to hold his hand or anything like that when we were in public.
Yeah until you are out loud and proud so to speak, PDA's are not a good thing, especially when one of the people is in the closet. :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

not being able to keep secrets.. *shakes head* been there.. :( took me a week to plan it and a minute to ruin it! :( however, thankfully Pete sees it as a +ve thing.. then again, there's very little that Pete doesn't take in a +ve note... :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I know Peter has money hangups- but I worried that he's gonna push it too far one of these time...just saying. Still, I like these two together! :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/20/2011 12:00 AM, K.C. said:
I know Peter has money hangups- but I worried that he's gonna push it too far one of these time...just saying. Still, I like these two together! :D
Money, an issue? I think - but what do I know right - that Peter can't push it so far that Jason will leave. I think Jason will not let Peter's hangs up push jason away. Just saying ;P
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I love their pet names. Karate Kid just makes me smile so hard! The name of the next chapter gave away the surprise, though! Damn heh. But still skating \o/. Gawd I love skating.

 

It's funny that Peter is surprised when Jason is romantic. Considering the boy brought flowers on their first in-house date. That's incredibly romantic.

 

He's also a total "horndog", which so is every gay man I know, which, other than my husband, is also every man I know. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

 

It's so tough to watch the moments when they almost out Jason and he gets so terrified. It just feels belly clenching scary for both of them and then I get another clench because I feel so sad about it. sad.gif

 

I love the studying together. Is it weird I find that romantic?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/22/2011 12:44 AM, Chey_D said:
I love their pet names. Karate Kid just makes me smile so hard! The name of the next chapter gave away the surprise, though! Damn heh. But still skating \o/. Gawd I love skating.

 

It's funny that Peter is surprised when Jason is romantic. Considering the boy brought flowers on their first in-house date. That's incredibly romantic.

 

He's also a total "horndog", which so is every gay man I know, which, other than my husband, is also every man I know. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

 

It's so tough to watch the moments when they almost out Jason and he gets so terrified. It just feels belly clenching scary for both of them and then I get another clench because I feel so sad about it. sad.gif

 

I love the studying together. Is it weird I find that romantic?

haha I actually had to go back and read that again - been a while since I wrote it. In some ways, I see Peter as thinking he's the romantic one and although he is thrilled Jason is trying to be romantic too, he might feel a tad threatened as is that is what he bring to 'them' -- --- and yeah both of them have their randy streaks :P
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Okay, question are places like Harvest Moon for real? Or did you make up those names?

 

Neeways, poor Jason that he feels so worried about letting their rel. status slip. It just makes me mad at this world sometimes, that there are people in it who make other's feel afraid of being themselves.

 

I liked those lyrics of the Rise Against song someone posted here--on the irony of this being the land of the free,but not being free to be who they are. Anyway, that song popped into mind while reading.

 

Still, at the same time there's such a sweetness to these two, you just gotta love 'em.

 

:D and :P

 

hehe.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/23/2011 10:07 AM, AnytaSunday said:
Okay, question are places like Harvest Moon for real? Or did you make up those names?

 

Neeways, poor Jason that he feels so worried about letting their rel. status slip. It just makes me mad at this world sometimes, that there are people in it who make other's feel afraid of being themselves.

 

I liked those lyrics of the Rise Against song someone posted here--on the irony of this being the land of the free,but not being free to be who they are. Anyway, that song popped into mind while reading.

 

Still, at the same time there's such a sweetness to these two, you just gotta love 'em.

 

:D and :P

 

hehe.

Haha, I'm surprised you didn't point out all the flaws that we corrected in later chapters :P No all the places, Harvest Moon, Java Shack, Graydon, they only exist in Andyland - any similarity to real places is entirely coincidental. :) And yeah, when I was writing this, I thought they were a cute couple too :D
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I very much like their banter, fun as well as romantic. BUT not the best way to keep their relationship secret. Just takes one person to overhear and it's out. Oh well never mind, the story is great.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/31/2013 11:08 AM, Timothy M. said:
I very much like their banter, fun as well as romantic. BUT not the best way to keep their relationship secret. Just takes one person to overhear and it's out. Oh well never mind, the story is great.
TIm, as I mentioned in my first response, the lack of caution was deliberate as a way to show what being in love can do. Does he realize it and if he does, does he care? I think it's easier said than done to 'be careful' when you really like someone. But I hope you like the rest of the story - you've got a ways to go I'm afraid.

 

Thanks for reading and for taking the time to leave a few comments. :)

 

AQG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/31/2013 11:08 AM, Timothy M. said:
I very much like their banter, fun as well as romantic. BUT not the best way to keep their relationship secret. Just takes one person to overhear and it's out. Oh well never mind, the story is great.
TIm, as I mentioned in my first response, the lack of caution was deliberate as a way to show what being in love can do. Does he realize it and if he does, does he care? I think it's easier said than done to 'be careful' when you really like someone. But I hope you like the rest of the story - you've got a ways to go I'm afraid.

 

Thanks for reading and for taking the time to leave a few comments. :)

 

AQG

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It's great that Jason's friends are accepting Pete and getting used to him being around. That's good for both of them and will help when Jason is finally out, as is inevitable. I know that hiding the gay so well as I live that way myself. Not possible to be publically out where I live unless I want to do jail time, which doesn't really appeal.
Loving how their relationship is growing, and, yes, Pete's almost kissing in public is a sign of them being so comfortable with each other, though it is such a danger for Jason. I'm hoping that his fears will prove to be largely unfounded and that he will find acceptance in more places than he thought possible.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/10/2016 05:01 PM, Jaro_423 said:

It's great that Jason's friends are accepting Pete and getting used to him being around. That's good for both of them and will help when Jason is finally out, as is inevitable. I know that hiding the gay so well as I live that way myself. Not possible to be publically out where I live unless I want to do jail time, which doesn't really appeal.

Loving how their relationship is growing, and, yes, Pete's almost kissing in public is a sign of them being so comfortable with each other, though it is such a danger for Jason. I'm hoping that his fears will prove to be largely unfounded and that he will find acceptance in more places than he thought possible.

Wow, I understand the not wanting to go to jail for who you love. That sucks (to put it mildly) Not to go off on a political bent but I don't think people realize it as much anymore in the US now that we can legally marry, have kids, etc.

 

If I ever redo this I might try to do some of this from Pete's POV. My plan was to write a sequel with them being 5 years or so older and it start from Pete' POV. Never got to that - obviously right? Again, it's that time stuff. One day (assuming I live that long lol)

 

I wish you all the best and will admonish you to stay safe. As someone who has sent more than a few people to jail, (for actual crimes, not for who they love.) you don't want to end up there.

 

-AQG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..