Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Second Shot - 42. Chapter 42: The Holidays

Soccer, family, holidays what could go wrong.


Jason put the music player on top of the locker. With a nod from Darryl, he hit the play button on his iPod, the song already queued up. Jacking the volume to near maximum, they both stood waiting for the music to begin. Stomping their feet along with the drum, they both shook their head to the beat.

"Do you know the enemy? Do you know your enemy? Well gotta know the enemy, wah hey!" The music nearly drowned out their voices.

Other players quickly converged on the row of lockers where Darryl and Jason stood side by side singing as loud as they could. Soon everyone joined them in an off key, but boisterous pre-game jam. Shirtless, the two friends grabbed their jerseys as they jumped up onto the bench. Swinging their shirts over their heads, they continued to sing, pumping up themselves and their teammates.

Still on the bench, Jason noticed Coach Slewman standing just outside his office with his assistants. Rather than stop them, the coach shook his head, but smiled. Jason jumped down, followed by Darryl, only to find he and his best friend surrounded by the rest of the team. Jumping up and down as one mass, they continued to shout, 'know your enemy' in time with the song.

Darryl, seeing Coach Slewman for the first time, killed the music when the song ended.

"Thanks to the self appointed prep squad of Minger and Tellerman for providing the pre-game pump. In keeping with your new team anthem, the enemy is mental errors and poor execution. You guys have worked hard all year. This is why we practice, this is what we play our butts off for, every game. I don't know about you guys, but I want to walk off the field, our field, as winners. This is our yard; these are our fans, so let's make this our game!"

Darryl was the first to scream, 'Yeah!' Followed closely by Jason and the others.

"I want ninety minutes of hustle. Anyone not busting their ass, is coming out. There is no next game, this is it. Lose and we're done. I don't know about you, but I'm not ready for next year just yet. Anyone here ready for next year"

Almost as one they yelled, 'No.'

"Good!" Coach nodded crisply. "Now get out there and win this game!"

Singing, 'know your enemy,' players grabbed their gear and ran out. Darryl and Jason rushed to put on their jerseys and cleats.

"Minger, Tellerman," Coach Slewman called down the row when they were the only two left.

"Coming, Coach," Jason yelled, stuffing the music player in his locker.

"Good job," he said before walking out of the locker room.

Grinning, they high fived then bumped shoulders. "Kick some ass, D."

"You too, J-Tel." Ducking to avoid Jason's punch, Darryl ran toward the field

"I will get you for that, Minger." Jason laughed, running after his friend. Together they started singing, 'know your enemy,' again as they cleared the building.

The trainer looked at Jason's lip and put some foul tasting substance on it that made him spit.

"That's going to be swollen for a few days," he said.

"I'll live." Jason noticed Coach Slewman walking toward him.

"Tellerman!"

He wasn't going to let Coach take him out of the game. "Yes, sir."

"You, okay? The coach looked to his trainer who nodded.

"Fine," he lied. His face hurt, but he wasn't going to admit it. "Don't even think of taking me out, Coach."

"They seem to be trying to take you out." He pointed toward the opposing team. "Not me."

"Fuck them!" Jason said loud enough for the team to here. "I told you before, I can handle it."

"If it gets too bad, I'm taking you out." He stared hard at Jason. "It doesn't do us any good if you get hurt."

"If we don't win this game it doesn't matter if I'm hurt or not; the season'll be over." Jason scanned his coach's face for some sign he understood. "The only way they're getting me off the field is on a stretcher."

His teammates started to gather around. "C'mon guys, we need to win this. If they want to beat on me, fine, let them. It'll mean someone else is free."

Darryl put a hand on his shoulder. "Jase, they're trying to hurt you."

Shrugging off the hand, Jason stood up. "Who fucking cares what they're trying to do? This is our game not theirs. I'm not backing down and neither should the rest of you. We can take these assholes. If they're dumb enough to focus on me, let me deal with that. Get the ball to Eric if I'm double teamed. If they want to be dumb asses, let's use that to get the ball in the back of the fucking net."

"Yeah, let's fucking win this!" Jason couldn't tell who said it, because everyone else started yelling. Pumped up, he spared a glance to the stand to see Peter standing with Dean and his parents. That was motivation enough to redouble his efforts.

Lining up with the rest of his teammates, Jason moved toward the front of the line. He wasn't going to stand with the coaches today. After all the crap he took from the other team, he had no interest in shaking hands, but knew it was expected. Turning quickly, he flashed a smile to Darryl, then put three fingers across his chest with this left hand.

Seeing his fingers, Darryl laughed and pounded on his back. Despite their best efforts to take him out of the game, perhaps because of those efforts even, Jason scored three times in the second half. They made him pay for every goal, but he made them pay for trying to hurt him. Tomorrow he was going to feel every bruise, but today he was going to enjoy it.

Amid the half hearted 'congratulations' and 'nice game,' a few of the opposing players glared at him. When he spotted the defender who particularly harassed him, he put three fingers on his chest and said as he passed, "I got three, what did you get?"

The defender's teammates who were closest started cursing at him. Darryl and the others behind him laughed, so he smiled and kept his fingers where they could all see them. Screw them. They tried to take him out, and he refused to let them. Next time, try playing a clean game, he thought.

When he cleared the line of opponents, Jason was mobbed from behind. Surrounding him, the team jumped up and down, screaming: "Know your enemy." Joining the exuberant celebration, Jason took a moment to search for Peter and his family.

Locking eyes with Peter, his smile was mirrored on the faces of his family and boyfriend. Best day ever.

 ***

"Hey, Pete, how about this one?" Jason pulled a small tree from behind a larger one. It was short enough and looked fairly full.

Peter ambled over, hands stuffed in his pockets. He barely looked at the tree Jason held out for his inspection.

"Yeah, that's fine if you like it, Jason."

This was not going well. Buying a tree, their first tree, was supposed to be fun. They were supposed to do it together. Despite a few upbeat days, Pete was sullen and indifferent lately.

"Pete." He let the tree fall back against the other. "Why don't we just go? You don't want to do this."

Don't get mad at him, Jason kept repeating to himself. He probably had unrealistic expectations for the day and Peter's lack of interest might be how most people felt buying a tree. Then again, eyeing the other couples and families buying trees, seeing their smiles, Jason saw his enthusiasm reflected back. Still, he didn't want to get angry with Peter.

Searching his coat pocket for his keys, he looked around for the exit. Two steps toward gate, a hand grabbed his arm forcing him to stop.

"Jase." Peter gently turned him around. "I'm sorry. I know how excited you were to get our tree, and I'm ruining it."

"No, you're not," he lied. Last thing he wanted was to make Peter feel worse. "This was probably a bad idea. We can save the money for something else."

Ignoring what was said, Peter walked back to where Jason was looking a moment ago. "Which one did you like?"

Running his hand over the trees, Peter stopped at the small tree Jason tried to show him. "This one, right?"

Trying to squelch the frown he felt on his face, Jason gave him a weak nod. Most of the joy of the moment was lost. What made him think buying a tree would improve Peter's spirits.

"I think this will fit nicely in the space." Peter held the tree away from his body, taking a few steps to each side. Completing a circle around the tree, he stopped and flashed Jason a smile. "Good call."

The small spark Jason saw in his boyfriend's eye proved infectious. Grinning, he moved around to inspect the Douglas Fir he picked out. It wasn't too tall or too fat, but still had a nice shape. He wanted a nice tree for the pictures he knew they would take.

"Here," he said, motioning for Peter to let him hold the tree. "Step back and see what you think."

Before he backed away, Peter leaned over, kissing Jason's cheek. "Thanks, Jase. I know you're trying to cheer me up. It's working."

After changing positions a couple times, they agreed it was the right one. A few minutes later they were tying it to the roof of his car, ready to take their first tree home.

Taking it up the stairs to Peter's apartment, Jason smiled like he was a kid going to see Santa Claus.

"What are you smiling about?" Peter laughed when Jason put the tree down. "We got pine needles all over your car. How does that make you happy?"

Noting the smile Peter gave him, Jason stuck out his tongue. "I'm excited to get my first Christmas tree, what's so wrong about that?"

"Your first?" Peter rolled his eyes. "Like you never had one as a kid."

"That wasn't mine, it was my parent's. This one," he used his free hand to point to their tree, "Is ours. Our first. That's why this is so cool."

Peter stared at him for a moment then smiled. "You're right, it is cool. Let's set it up, so we can decorate it."

Two hours later, the tree was reasonably decorated. They might have finished sooner, but twice their good mood led to a prolonged kissing break.

The last two trimmings to find a branch were brought from home. When they discussed how to decorate their tree, they learned they both had a baby's first ornament with their name on it. It didn't take much convincing to get both mothers to relent and let them use it for their tree.

Stepping back, Jason pulled Peter into a hug, peering over his left shoulder. "I like it."

Twisting, Peter pressed his lips against Jason's. They lingered for several heartbeats before Peter broke their kiss. "Hold that thought."

He darted into his room leaving Jason slightly bemused. When he returned he had his hand behind his back. "Close your eyes."

Doing as instructed, he felt Peter draw closer, anticipating something.

"Okay, Soccer Boy." The warm breath on his cheek told Jason how close Peter was. "Open 'em."

Peter stood with his right hand extended over Jason's head. Following the path of Peter's arm, Jason stopped when he saw the small green sprig of something. "Mistletoe?"

"Um hmm." Peter's wicked grin told Jason all he needed.

Smiling as big as he could, Jason inched closer. The arm with the mistletoe came down to circle Jason's waist. "Where did you find that?"

A deep, lingering kiss was Peter's answer.

"Yeah." Jason let out his breath when they separated. "Doesn't really matter."

****

"Let's look in here." Jason pointed toward the Coach store.

Eyeing where Jason pointed, a frown creased Peter's face. "Didn't you already get your mom her gift?"

"Yeah, but . . ." He hesitated, knowing he was probably going to regret what he said next. There was, however, no way to dance around the issue. He needed to get it into the open. "I thought we could get something for your mom here."

Peter's body twitched, as he stopped walking. The whites of his eyes nearly disappeared as he squinted at Jason. "What are you doing?"

"I have some extra money left over, and I just thought we'd get . . ."

"I know what you thought!" People walked around them, staring as Peter raised his voice. "She's not your mother, Jason. Just because she was nice to you, doesn't mean she's yours."

Ouch! He expected Peter to be mad, but this was nasty. Opening his mouth, he shut it. Stay calm, he told himself, Pete's still dealing with stuff. As best he could, he tried not to look mad at the insult.

"You know, you're something else!" Peter shook his head, still nearly shouting. "It just never ends with you, does it?"

"Pete, calm down. People are staring." It had been a long time since Jason felt this self-conscious in public. Even Peter kissing him didn't make him this uncomfortable anymore.

"Who fucking cares!" He almost turned around to leave then whirled back toward Jason. "First it was dinner, then the trips, now you are not satisfied paying my rent and bills, you want to buy my Christmas gift for my mother?"

"Pete." Torn between walking away and moving closer, Jason stood frozen in place. "After how great your mom was to me, I thought we could get her something nice for Christmas."

Peter threw his arms out wide, nearly hitting two people walking past him. "Jesus fucking Christ, you just don't get it, do you? Oh yes, Mom will NEVER figure out who paid for a Coach bag. That's subtle."

Stunned, he felt his ears get hot. Twice he blinked before he could react. Holding up both hands he took a step back. "Fine. Bad idea on my part."

He turned around without waiting for Peter's response. Either he followed, or he found his own way home; after that scene, Jason didn't really care which Peter chose. Weaving his way around people in the crowded mall, he resisted the urge to look back.

With all that’s happened, Jason knew he needed to accommodate Peter's mood swings. Hell, that he was able to walk around the mall without problems was more than he hoped for when he first saw Peter in the hospital. But being cursed at in a packed mall tested his limits.

All he wanted was to do something nice for Amanda. That he had money to spend on presents, and a family to give them to, was because of her. How could Peter not understand? Did he really think Jason was trying to steal his mom?

Lost in his thoughts, he didn't realize how fast he was walking until he nearly plowed into a young woman moving slowly. He let the retort die on his lips when he saw the wheelchair and its gray haired occupant she was pushing.

Jesus, he needed to get a grip on himself. It was Christmas, a little holiday cheer and understanding was in order. Darting his way toward the railing, he looked down at shoppers walking on the floor below. Most looked lost in thought as they scurried about, searching for the perfect gift.

The only other time Peter cursed at him was that night. It provoked a bad reaction from him then and it did it again today.

His heart skipped a beat. Last time he stormed off, Peter ended up in the hospital. No, this different. They were in a crowded mall and no one was after them. He needed to relax.

Closing his eyes for a moment he took a deep breath. Getting irritated wasn't going to make it easier to survive the holiday. It also wouldn't help Peter deal with his problems. Fuck, why did he walk away like a spoiled child again? Didn't really matter why, he shouldn't have done it. So much for being understanding.

The feeling of a presence to his right interrupted his thoughts. Opening his eyes without lifting his head, he saw the tops of Peter's boots just to his right. When the silence dragged on, he looked up and frowned.

Peter glared at him, his hands in his pockets and his body taut.

Jason stared at him for a moment, then turned, shaking his head slightly. Whatever was bothering Peter, this wasn't the time to try to figure it out.

Ten minutes of fighting the throng of shoppers, up two flight of stairs in the parking garage and dodging cars circling for spaces - all in silence - they arrived at Jason's car. Jason occasionally stole a quick glance to see if Peter's expression thawed, but he was as stoned faced as when he approached Jason by the railing.

Repressing the sigh he felt, well not totally, he felt his breath come out louder than he planned, he slowly backed out of his spot. Two cars jockeying for his spot made it impossible to leave. Rather than roll down his window and scream at the dumb asses to move, Jason just stopped. If they weren't going to let him out, fuck 'em. He would sit here until someone blinked.

After horns blared a third time, the car blocking him from backing clear of the spot gave in. Moving quickly to make his escape, Jason heard Peter whisper, "asshole," under his breath.

Was that for him or the people in the other car? Probably him, he decided.

"What fucking morons."

No, not him. Relieved, Jason gave Pete a small smile.

"I mean, what the hell?" he continued. "Why didn't they fight it out with tire irons for your spot? Lord knows there were NO other spots in the whole freaking mall where they could park."

Glad Peter's anger had another outlet, Jason shrugged. "We're gone, that's all that matters."

This time the silence felt less angry and more embarrassed. Jason considered apologizing, but for what? He only walked away so he didn't yell back. And he wasn't sorry for suggesting they buy Amanda a gift. Okay, maybe a little sorry. Things might have been different if he suggested it before they went to the mall.

"Sorry, Jason."

"Pete, I'm sorry."

They both spoke at once, stopped and laughed. Peter recovered first.

"I don't know why I was such an asshole to you in the Mall." Rather than look at Jason, he stared out the window. "You were trying to do something for my mom and I turned it around onto me."

"It's okay, Pete." It really wasn't, but he didn't want to fight about it.

"No, Jase, it's not okay." Peter put his hand over Jason's where it rested on the stick shift. Such a little thing, one they had done since their first date, it still made Jason smile. "Not only did I embarrass you in public, I belittled you for thinking about my mother. If anyone deserves special attention it's her."

From Peter's tone, Jason knew it was better not to suggest they were both to blame. Better to just accept his apology and move on.

"Don't worry about it, Pete. I'm over it already. We can still get her something." Using the red light to turn toward Peter he added, "Just not right now. I'm not sure we could find a parking space, I don't know where the tire iron is in this car."

****

Turning from side to side, Peter appeared to be trying to take in everything as they drove through the wrought iron gate that slowly swung shut behind them. On either side of the long, winding driveway lay the remnants of the near two feet of snow that had fallen less than a week ago.

The curtain of tall pines hid the main house from view, and would for another minute or two. As many times as Jason drove to his grandparent's house, even he felt a bit awed today by the beauty of the property.

"Jase, this is amazing." Peter's voice broke his concentration. "It looks like the cover of a Christmas Card."

He slowed down, so Peter could better take in the sights. "Yeah, it is really pretty right now."

"How long have they lived here?"

"Pop has lived here his whole life." They were nearing the turn where the house would be visible. "His grandfather bought the land and started the house as a wedding gift for my great grandfather."

Rounding a clump of trees, they pulled onto a long, circular driveway set in front of the Victorian Mansion. Five cars were already parked in the driveway.

Just as they did every year, his grandparents had the house covered in decorations. Every window had a wreath with a red ribbon, with a candle centered perfectly behind the glass. Colorful lights circled columns and posts wrapped in thick evergreen roping. More lights were drapped, perfectly, among the shrubs lining the front of the house.

Maneuvering his car between his parent's Land Rover and Uncle Raymond's Bentley, he popped the truck so they could gather their things.

"Geez, Jase." Peter stood staring at the massive wreath hanging just above the door. "That is the biggest damn wreath I ever saw on anyone's home."

Jason shook his head. "They do the same decorations every year. It's like they have it written down that this size wreath goes this many inches from the top of this window. I'm so sure Reggie's in charge of decorating the house. His lack of imagination is staggering."

Smiling, Peter walked over, put his hand behind Jason's head and drew him in for a quick kiss. "That's the gayest thing you've ever said. There's hope for you yet."

"Shut up!" He opened the back door to get the bags of gifts for his family. "I'm just saying they could change things up after twenty years."

Removing a box from the seat, Peter shut the door. "I'll suggest to your grandmother she put her gay grandson in charge of the decorations from now on."

"Ha, ha, ha." Jason tried to frown, but his smile won out. His silent fear that Peter would be uncomfortable at his grandparent's mansion seemed unfounded. "You're just a laugh a minute."

Before Peter could respond, the front door opened, and a gangly teen in khaki's, white shirt and a red and green tie, came flying down the steps. To see his face, you'd think he was six years old and Santa Clause was in the driveway

"Jase! You made it!"

He put the bags down and grabbed his cousin in a bear hug. Same as always, Jason thought. "Hey, KJ. What made you think I wasn't coming?"

"Well, you weren't there last night." Keith looked from the packages to Peter and back.

"KJ, this is my friend Peter." He and Peter agreed they would not announce their status as boyfriends to the younger cousins and were going with, 'friend' as an introduction. "Pete, this is my cousin Keith."

"Hey, Keith." Peter gave him a small wave with his free hand.

"Are you Jason's boyfriend?"

Peter gave Jason an amused, but slightly stunned look; one Jason was sure was mirrored on his face.

"Um," Jason stammered. "Yes, Peter's my boyfriend. How did you know?"

Dean appeared at the top of the stairs, followed by a man and woman and two small girls.

"Uncle Raymond, Aunt Barbara and Mom were talking about it last night," Keith answered. "Uncle Raymond didn't sound happy."

There's a shock, Jason thought, picking up a shopping bag. "KJ, would you carry this."

"What's in it?" The twinkle in his told Jason he knew.

He gave his cousin a wink. "Nothing for you to worry about."

"Hey, Bro." Dean's smile gave Jason a twinge of guilt. Last night was the first Christmas Eve they weren't together. He even missed opening gifts this morning, another first.

"What's up, Dean?"

The two hugged, then Dean turned and did the same with Peter.

"Hey, Pete. Glad you made it."

"Me too, Dean." If Dean's hug bothered Peter, he didn't show it.

"Does everyone come to the door whenever someone arrives?" Peter kept his voice low. "Or just to see the gay boyfriend?"

Was this a joke, or was he serious? "Keith always jumps on me when he sees me and you know Dean. Aunt Karen and Uncle Dan probably are here because the girls wanted to see what Keith was doing. So I guess this is normal."

Rolling his eyes, Peter flashed him a grin. "Jase, I was kidding. Lighten up."

Without thinking, Jason moved closer before jerking back. As the two locked eyes, he felt himself flush slightly. "Damn."

Although his voice was barely a whisper, Peter must have heard it. "Probably best to wait before we do that."

Jason grabbed a small suitcase and a gym bag from the trunk before closing the top. He managed a soft snort. "Definitely."

"I know a secret." Keith's voice drew both their attention.

Did his cousin catch on to what just happened? Just what he needed, his thirteen-year-old cousin talking about how he almost caught Jason and Peter snogging. "What would that be KJ?"

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a secret."

Peter started to laugh. "Can't argue with his logic, Jase."

"That's not fair." He shook his head as the four made for the front door.

Keith turned serious. "Pop made me promise not to tell you."

Pop had a secret from him, but he told Keith? What's that about? Before he could follow up, his nieces started to hop down the steps. Their white frilly dresses with red ribbons looked so cute with the white leotards and red shoes. The red bows in their blonde hair added another angelic quality to the adorable little girls.

"Careful girls." Karen's warning fell on deaf ears the way the two girls focused on Jason.

Giggling, they both ran the four of five feet between them. He had just enough time to put down his bags before scooping them both up. Planting loud kisses on both their cheeks, he smiled broadly as they each kissed a cheek.

"Pete." Jason turned to his right, still holding the girls. He hoisted the bigger of the two. "This is Kayla, and this is Jenny."

Jenny buried her face in Jason's coat, but her sister was bolder. "Hi. Jenny's only six, she's shy."

Peter gave her one of those smiles that made Jason swoon. So damn cute, was all he could think. "That's okay, Kayla. How old are you?"

Her forwardness had a limit and she hugged her cousin tighter. "I'm nine."

"Nine is very old. Do you watch over your sister?"

"Sometimes." She giggled.

"Not enough," Karen said, taking the last two steps. Her husband was a step behind.

Jason put the girls down. "Merry Christmas, Aunt Karen, Uncle Dan. A hug and a kiss on the cheek for his aunt, a handshake for his uncle.

"Pete, this is Karen and Dan Johnson." He turned and added, "Aunt Karen, Uncle Dan, Peter Gregory."

Not only was there little point in announcing his status, Jason certainly wanted to avoid any mention of it around his nieces.

"Nice to meet you both." Peter shook hands with them, appearing slightly nervous.

"Welcome." The big, genuine smile she gave them both helped ease some of Jason's tension. Keith's news about Uncle Raymond's attitude notwithstanding. "Barbara told us what happened, are you feeling better?"

"Pretty much, yes." Peter nodded. As always when he talked about his recovery, a mask went up to hide his frustration. "Not totally healed, so I can't go back to Martial Arts training and teaching yet, but I'm hopeful to be fine by February."

"Well, we're all happy to see you here." She patted Jason fondly on the cheek. "Especially Jason. I'm not sure when I saw my nephew this happy before."

The two blushed furiously at her comments, Keith giggled, Dean snorted and the girls seemed oblivious.

"Come on, let's get inside." She started to herd the girls back up the stairs.

"Can I grab of one of those?" Dan asked.

"Nah, I'm good, thanks." Jason couldn't stop smiling, walking up the steps behind his family, Peter by his side.

Once inside, Jason took a box from the bag Dean carried and asked his brother and Keith to put the gifts under the enormous fifteen foot tree. They barely took five steps when the rest of the family - Uncle Raymond conspicuously absent - descended on them. Mom and Dad said their Christmas greetings before Mom and Aunt Karen went back to the Kitchen to help their mother.

Meredith and her fiancé followed, giving him an annoyed look that quickly morphed into a smile. She gave him a lecture about not telling her sooner, especially when she found out Michele already knew. It did little to mollify her when he explained how Michele cornered him.

Michele was the last to appear, she without a date. She and her last boyfriend split up before Thanksgiving. Jason thought her face was going to split in two from her smile.

"Peter." She gave him a hug like they were old friends. "At some point, I need to pry you away from cuz, and we need to talk."

Peter's bemused look only intensified when he turned to see the agonized face Jason made. Michele knew everything about him. God only knew what embarrassing things she would tell Peter.

"Yes," Peter said dramatically, glaring at Jason for effect. "We certainly do."

Ignoring the smirking pair, Jason moved through the house toward the kitchen. From the snide remarks and hushed giggling, he knew Peter and Michele were a step behind. Part of him was pleased they hit it off; Michele was his confidante for years, his go to person, the sister he never had. She also knew his most embarrassing moments.

And she kept those secrets, he reminded himself. No, she wouldn't say anything she shouldn't to Peter.

The kitchen was abuzz with activity. Along with Barbara and Karen, Ray's wife, Delores was busy at work next to an older grey haired woman who did not dress like the others. Anastasia had been with his grandparents for close to forty years. She had no family to speak of, never married, and was the sweetest person Jason every met. Directing the 'staff', Flora Henry glided about the spacious kitchen, giving directions where needed.

"Wow," Peter said. "This is a kitchen."

Jason winked at Peter when they locked eyes. His smile grew wider when his eyes shifted over Peter's shoulder.

"I presume you are an aspiring chef, Master Gregory?"

Spinning toward the sound of the voice, Peter shot a quick glance back at Jason before extending his hand. "I know my way around a kitchen Mister Henry, but I wouldn't say I want to be a chef."

Dressed in grey slacks, a plaid vest, bow tie and blazer, Raymond Henry looked festive, over-dressed for Jason's liking, but still in the holiday spirit.

"Well said, Master Gregory." He gripped Peter's right upper arm as he pumped hands vigorously.

"Just Peter, sir."

"Then you must call me, Ray. The niceties of decorum extend to all, not just the old." The twinkle in the older man's eye made Jason want to laugh.

How like his Pop to be so excited to meet his friend. His grandfather already told him he had no issues with Jason bringing his boyfriend to the house, much less with Jason being gay. He must have already sized up Peter and found him worthy, because he rarely was this jovial when he first met someone.

Peter smiled, but shook his head. "No, sir. This is your home and I'm a guest. That and you're Jason's grandfather. I can't call you by your first name."

"Merry Christmas, Pop," Jason said before hugging him. It was something Jason wanted to do ever since he received his grandfather's email explaining nothing changed between them and nothing would.

"A very Merry Christmas to you, and Peter as well." Ray inclined his head slightly toward Peter.

"Call him Pop, Pete, that's what Ethan does." Much as he wanted to reach over and hold Peter's hand, he held back.

"Ah yes, the Miller boy." Ray's smile never diminished.

Jason felt a presence behind before he heard the voice.

"Honestly, Ray, don't stand there keeping me from my grandson."

Petite, yet elegant was how Jason always thought of her; dressed for the holiday, she was even more so. The simple white dress with red and green dots reminded him of something June Cleaver would wear. Like everyone else in the kitchen, she wore a dark red apron with green Christmas trees. A single string of pearls circled her neck and this was offset by a matching set of earrings.

Even with heels she didn't reach Jason's head, so he bent down to hug her. "Merry Christmas, Grandma."

She hugged him with an urgency he didn't expect. "Oh, Jason, I am sooo glad you and Peter are here."

Three kisses later, she stepped back from a bewildered Jason to address Peter. He spoke before she could greet him.

"Wow, Jason never told me how beautiful you are."

Maybe it was the sincerity of Peter's voice or the smile on his face, but Jason never saw his grandmother so flushed. The flush of red in her cheeks usually presaged to a stern rebuke, though Jason didn't expect one today. When she recovered, she beamed at Peter, confirming her lack of anger.

"My dear Peter, where have you been my whole life." She stepped closer, put both hands on his face and kissed his cheek. Looking over at the smiling Raymond, she added, "Not that you have anything on Ray."

The spark between the two was as bright as ever, leaving Jason to hope he and Peter would be this happy fifty years from now.

Jason remembered the box he had, and the one Peter brought in. "Oh, we brought you stuff."

"Stuff?" Raymond asked, sounding more than a bit amused.

Peter presented her with two pies he made, while Jason grabbed the large white cake box he fished out of the shopping bags.

"We made these . . ." Peter began.

"Peter made them," Jason corrected

". . . for dessert. I hope they're okay."

"Made them, did you?" Raymond arched a bushy white eyebrow at Peter when he turned around.

Jason looked to his grandfather who gave him the barest of nods. When he turned to give his grandmother the box, she gave him a questioning glare.

"What are you two children up to?" She switched her stare from Jason to Raymond and back to Jason. "What is this?"

"A certain someone." He nodded backward toward his grandfather. "Asked me to get a certain pretty young lady he was rather fond of, something special for the holiday table."

Again his grandmother looked bewildered. She finally studied the box in Jason's hand and mouthed the name of the bakery, 'Termini Brothers,' before staring at the two conspirators.

"It usually helps if you open the box, dear." Raymond stepped around Jason, to open the top for her.

"Sfogliatelle?" She looked both pleased and surprised.

Jason noted the entire room was focused on their exchange. Among the smiling throng, Jason made eyes with his mother, who gave him a smile of approval.

"Yes, ma'am." He handed her the box, which she accepted this time. "There are cannolis and cookies in the trunk for everyone else, but these are for you."

Raymond Henry looked so pleased, he almost glowed. "Merry Christmas, Flo. I seem to remember a Christmas many years ago when you were introduced to these. I thought I would find something to remind you of that day, with Jason's help of course."

Flora stared at the box, almost in tears. "That was the Christmas you proposed to me you silly old coot. How could I ever forget that day?"

Practically thrusting the box back toward Jason, she took both of husband's hands and reached up. Bending slightly, Raymond met her lips for a kiss. "Thank you, Ray. You too, Jason."

After she kissed Jason's cheek again, she turned back to the cooking area. "Well, let's get this finished, shall we? People are going to get hungry soon."

"Can I help?" Peter gestured toward the counters.

"Yeah, Grandma, Peter's an amazing cook."

"Oh, heaven's no." She shooed them away. "You, Peter, are a guest. You most certainly may not help. Plus, you already did enough bringing us two pies. And I am sure you had a hand in their little shenanigans no doubt."

Peter ducked his head. "Guilty."

Patting him on the cheek, she turned to Jason. "Why don't you take your stuff upstairs and show Peter where he is staying."

"Yes, ma'am."

Getting closer to the end, comment here or in the forum, not much time left to say your piece :)
Copyright © 2011 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

okay.. So, my comment of 'Tough Christmas' is not true :P How will peter deal with living in the mansion that he had freaked out just by looking at? just a year back? omy! Happy Christmas to both of them! ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow, such a formal Christmas gathering. I never have to endure this when I do X-Mas Eve with Curt's folks. But then again, they have no idea we are a couple. Interesting how the 13 year old cousin already knew about Pete and Jason. My cousin knows my "status" but he's older than I am.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/24/2011 09:36 AM, rckclimber27 said:
Love love love this chapter!:2thumbs:
Thanks RC. I liked this one and the next two quite a bit. But I had a bit of help with the next two that I will be sure to acknowledge properly. Andy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/24/2011 04:03 AM, TrevorTime said:
Wow, such a formal Christmas gathering. I never have to endure this when I do X-Mas Eve with Curt's folks. But then again, they have no idea we are a couple. Interesting how the 13 year old cousin already knew about Pete and Jason. My cousin knows my "status" but he's older than I am.
OMG, my family has no money but my lord, ours was a big to do replete with the entire family gathering at grandma's house. Of course my grandparents house was a small little starter home they never moved out of, but it was a palace to us. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/24/2011 12:23 AM, Frostina said:
okay.. So, my comment of 'Tough Christmas' is not true :P How will peter deal with living in the mansion that he had freaked out just by looking at? just a year back? omy! Happy Christmas to both of them! ;)
Peter may surprise you with his reaction to Chateau Henry. It's what happens the day after Christmas that could be a problem. Or then again, maybe not.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/25/2011 04:22 AM, Simonjames30 said:
Aww really love the fact that most of Jason's family are accepting Peter :)
Well most of them at least. 0:)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I can finally leave you a review!!! :) I started reading Second Shot not so long ago, when there were 38 chapters written and I have been wating to leave you a review since the firsts chapters... but I had lots of problems getting an account in here. Since I began reading the first chapter I couldn't stop reading and I was kind of useless until I could finish reading everything. There's so many things I would like to tell you but I think that my words won't manage to express how much I have loved reading your story. I love Peter and Jason and all the other side characters. You write about them like they are real people and that's why I think I feel like I actually know them.

 

Reading this story has made me smile, laugh and cry. Reading about Jason and Peter's insecurities, meeting Peter, coming out, Peter's stay in the hospital and dealing with the consequences of it has been an incredible experience. I'm glad that even if some don'tt accept them, they are now secure in their love and what they want from they lives. I must say that reading of their fight and then knowing that Peter has been beated up was extremely emotional and so sad. It made me think a lot of all those that have suffered similar things and made me wish that some day people can learn to accept others that are different from them. Some of the things you wrote made me think a couple of friends I have and all the hiding that they have to deal with just because there's still persons that can't understand.

 

I feel like I definitely didn't manage to express how much I love this story and have enjoyed reading it. So I'm just going to end this review thanking you for writing such a beautiful and wonderful story and for sharing it with all us.

 

(Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes you may find but English is not my native language )

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/25/2011 02:41 PM, ddz008 said:
I can finally leave you a review!!! :) I started reading Second Shot not so long ago, when there were 38 chapters written and I have been wating to leave you a review since the firsts chapters... but I had lots of problems getting an account in here. Since I began reading the first chapter I couldn't stop reading and I was kind of useless until I could finish reading everything. There's so many things I would like to tell you but I think that my words won't manage to express how much I have loved reading your story. I love Peter and Jason and all the other side characters. You write about them like they are real people and that's why I think I feel like I actually know them.

 

Reading this story has made me smile, laugh and cry. Reading about Jason and Peter's insecurities, meeting Peter, coming out, Peter's stay in the hospital and dealing with the consequences of it has been an incredible experience. I'm glad that even if some don'tt accept them, they are now secure in their love and what they want from they lives. I must say that reading of their fight and then knowing that Peter has been beated up was extremely emotional and so sad. It made me think a lot of all those that have suffered similar things and made me wish that some day people can learn to accept others that are different from them. Some of the things you wrote made me think a couple of friends I have and all the hiding that they have to deal with just because there's still persons that can't understand.

 

I feel like I definitely didn't manage to express how much I love this story and have enjoyed reading it. So I'm just going to end this review thanking you for writing such a beautiful and wonderful story and for sharing it with all us.

 

(Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes you may find but English is not my native language )

Well first, thank you. That was nice to read. Grammar mistakes?? :blink: Didn't notice any :) I am glad you feel like you know the characters, that was my hope all along. I tried very hard to keep them as real as possible - Anyta has been a huge help with that. Thank you for leaving this review. There aren't too many chapters left so you made it before it ends. :) Andy
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Loved this chapter - the writing was so witty:

 

Jason let out his breath when they separated. "Doesn't really matter."

Was that for him or the people in the other car? Probably him, he decided.

"That's the gayest thing you've ever said. There's hope for you yet."

Was this a joke, or was he serious?

"KJ, this is my friend Peter." He and Peter agreed they would not announce their status as boyfriends to the younger cousins and were going with, 'friend' as an introduction. "Pete, this is my cousin Keith." "Hey, Keith." Peter gave him a small wave with his free hand. "Are you Jason's boyfriend?"

Really great details/accenting of a point: "Best day ever." "Rather than look at Jason, he stared out the window."

 

 

 

And I could so identify with the self-talk and reasoning-in-his-mind, that Jason was doing when Peter was being difficult. Sometimes, even when someone is unjust or unthinking, someone you care about, you just have to let it go, sometimes to acquiesce is the best choice.

 

 

Closing his eyes for a moment he took a deep breath. Getting irritated wasn't going to make it easier to survive the holiday. It also wouldn't help Peter deal with his problems. f**k, why did he walk away like a spoiled child again? Didn't really matter why, he shouldn't have done it. So much for being understanding.

"It's okay, Pete." It really wasn't, but he didn't want to fight about it.

Really enjoyed the whole scene when Peter met the family. Families are so funny:

Peter's bemused look only intensified when he turned to see the agonized face Jason made. Michele knew everything about him. God only knew what embarrassing things she would tell Peter. "Yes," Peter said dramatically, glaring at Jason for effect. "We certainly do."

"My dear Peter, where have you been my whole life." She stepped closer, put both hands on his face and kissed his cheek. Looking over at the smiling Raymond, she added, "Not that you have anything on Ray."

Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I was waiting for the money issue to rear its ugly head again. Wonder if it'll ever be fully resolved (or at least, w/i the timeframe of this story). In a way it'd be realistic if it wasn't. That sort of ingrained aversion to taking perceived handouts can take years to reevaluate. As the "poor half" of a 5 yr. relationship, I know you don't just magically wake up one day having made complete peace w/ someone else spending their money on you.

 

Good chapter. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/27/2011 06:44 AM, Sara Alva said:
I was waiting for the money issue to rear its ugly head again. Wonder if it'll ever be fully resolved (or at least, w/i the timeframe of this story). In a way it'd be realistic if it wasn't. That sort of ingrained aversion to taking perceived handouts can take years to reevaluate. As the "poor half" of a 5 yr. relationship, I know you don't just magically wake up one day having made complete peace w/ someone else spending their money on you.

 

Good chapter. :)

Much like you - though perhaps not as well as you - I am trying for realism within the context of the story - so to hear you find it so is good to hear. I don't want to delve too much into the money issue because even if the boys make it, they have a whole life ahead of them that I couldn't possibly write about. Which is my way of saying we'll never know if it is truly resolved, but there will - of course be a resolution of some kind at the end. Thanks Sara!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/27/2011 06:13 AM, IfNotNow said:
Loved this chapter - the writing was so witty:

 

Jason let out his breath when they separated. "Doesn't really matter."

Was that for him or the people in the other car? Probably him, he decided.

"That's the gayest thing you've ever said. There's hope for you yet."

Was this a joke, or was he serious?

"KJ, this is my friend Peter." He and Peter agreed they would not announce their status as boyfriends to the younger cousins and were going with, 'friend' as an introduction. "Pete, this is my cousin Keith." "Hey, Keith." Peter gave him a small wave with his free hand. "Are you Jason's boyfriend?"

Really great details/accenting of a point: "Best day ever." "Rather than look at Jason, he stared out the window."

 

 

 

And I could so identify with the self-talk and reasoning-in-his-mind, that Jason was doing when Peter was being difficult. Sometimes, even when someone is unjust or unthinking, someone you care about, you just have to let it go, sometimes to acquiesce is the best choice.

 

 

Closing his eyes for a moment he took a deep breath. Getting irritated wasn't going to make it easier to survive the holiday. It also wouldn't help Peter deal with his problems. f**k, why did he walk away like a spoiled child again? Didn't really matter why, he shouldn't have done it. So much for being understanding.

"It's okay, Pete." It really wasn't, but he didn't want to fight about it.

Really enjoyed the whole scene when Peter met the family. Families are so funny:

Peter's bemused look only intensified when he turned to see the agonized face Jason made. Michele knew everything about him. God only knew what embarrassing things she would tell Peter. "Yes," Peter said dramatically, glaring at Jason for effect. "We certainly do."

"My dear Peter, where have you been my whole life." She stepped closer, put both hands on his face and kissed his cheek. Looking over at the smiling Raymond, she added, "Not that you have anything on Ray."

Thanks!

Wow, that took some effort to write that review. Thank you! I really like hearing back - who doesn't right? - partly because I get to hear what folks found note worthy I also get to joust a bit with you all and that is always fun too. :) Okay a small confession but a big shout out. At least a couple of the quotes you pulled out were suggested by Anyta during the revision/rewrites. I won't say which but I spotted them immediately. But most were mine LOL. So THANK YOU Antya, this shout out is for you :D
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Guest Michael123

Posted

IT CANT END :D its so great I LOVE IT!!!!!! i hope there will be an ending allowing there to be a second :D

Link to comment
On 03/05/2011 11:15 AM, Michael123 said:
IT CANT END :D its so great I LOVE IT!!!!!! i hope there will be an ending allowing there to be a second :D
The story will show about 3 more weeks of their lives. That of course will leave room for more, but I am not sure what I could write about after this one ends. The plan right now is to do a short story detailing the trial of Jordan. Beyond that I have other things I am ready to work on. Hopefully you and others will like those too. But until then thank you for reading :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh that was so sweet, but not too sweet. The arguement at the beginning stopped the tooth rot. I loved the choosing a tree bit.

 

I know it is naughty to mentione typos in review but as you have so few I feel justified in laughing my socks off at Peter being 'stoned faced'. I didnt know he was a stoner man :) :)

 

Back to the serious stuff. I very much like the way you introducd the family. It can sometimes be a little overwhelming when lots of people are introduced at the same time but that was sweet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/13/2011 01:17 AM, Nephylim said:
Oh that was so sweet, but not too sweet. The arguement at the beginning stopped the tooth rot. I loved the choosing a tree bit.

 

I know it is naughty to mentione typos in review but as you have so few I feel justified in laughing my socks off at Peter being 'stoned faced'. I didnt know he was a stoner man :) :)

 

Back to the serious stuff. I very much like the way you introducd the family. It can sometimes be a little overwhelming when lots of people are introduced at the same time but that was sweet.

HMM typo? really? I thought that was the expression LOL. Guess I was wrong. The goal here was to begin to show the cracks in Peter's psyche. Show that although he thinks he is fine, he is not. Christmas with the family is important to Jason because he is close to most of his family, including his younger cousins.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

OMG! I don't care how much I love someone- if they yelled at me like that at the mall I would so leave their ass there to find their own way home! I'm glad Jason is a lot more understanding than most of us :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/30/2011 07:14 AM, K.C. said:
OMG! I don't care how much I love someone- if they yelled at me like that at the mall I would so leave their ass there to find their own way home! I'm glad Jason is a lot more understanding than most of us :D
Agreed, I'd have left him to find his own way home too - I think Jason meant to, but didn't make it to the car before Peter caught up. Then again, if you blamed yourself for what happened, you might be a bit more forgiving - maybe? :blink:
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm glad that Peter seems to be getting along with Jason's family so well, that's nice to see. It seems like there are some big issues coming up though judging by Peter's outburst at the mall.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/13/2011 11:46 AM, intune said:
I'm glad that Peter seems to be getting along with Jason's family so well, that's nice to see. It seems like there are some big issues coming up though judging by Peter's outburst at the mall.
One would thing that the outburst is a sign of bigger unresolved issues. Peter's refusal to get counseling, to acknowledge there is a problem stemming from the accident is not helping their time together. Hopefully the end will feel right too. :) Thanks for the comments.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I do read some of the comments other readers make, I can understand them being impatient and wanted Peter to wake up sooner, but I think he woke up at the right moment though smile.png Good thing for me the story is finished and I dont have to wait weeks/ months for the next chapter - I am very impatient lol

 

PS: I still like granddad !!! wink.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/16/2012 07:11 AM, Slytherin said:
I do read some of the comments other readers make, I can understand them being impatient and wanted Peter to wake up sooner, but I think he woke up at the right moment though smile.png Good thing for me the story is finished and I dont have to wait weeks/ months for the next chapter - I am very impatient lol

 

PS: I still like granddad !!! wink.png

I think that if I ever were to meet Pop, I would like him too. So you're allowed to like him :D

 

ALmost finished. I'll be interested to see what you think of the ending. :huh:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..