Jump to content
    BDANR
  • Author
  • 214 Words
  • 761 Views
  • 4 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Loving Fiercely: How I Resist - 6. Chapter 6: Queer is...

Another piece I performed at an event for Trans Day of Remembrance.

Queer was laughing at gay jokes your straight friends made when you knew they weren’t funny

Playing hetero for friends you knew were toxic but stayed when there was no one else

Queer was being someone’s entertainment

Being everyone’s Margaret Cho or Wanda Sykes to mask the scars on your flesh

Our lives have become everyone’s punchline as we are assaulted on the streets

Queer was staring back at the eyes around you whenever you opened your mouth cuz the pitch in your voice was too high or too low.

Having to blend when you’re meant to transcend.

Being queer was being silent.

 

Queer is...taking pride in letting people go because you decided to choose you over them.

Creating families and resistant communities in a world that tries to break us

Queer is having that person next to you who already knows what it’s like and will never need an explanation

Queer is those awkward moments in the locker room cuz you knew were staring too long

Or laughing with your friends about that horrible date you had with that guy from Okcupid

Queer is cherishing the moments you loved and accepted yourself without a second thought

Queer is knowing you might fall, but getting right back up

Queer is...

Thank you for reading. Please respond if you have any thoughts or feelings that come about from this piece.
Copyright © 2017 BDANR; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another good piece. For too many of us still, queer is trying to find a way to survive in neighborhood/city/state/country that wants us dead. Growing up instinctively twisting language (as subtly as possible) into gender-neutral phrases.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

You know, when I saw the title of this, I assumed it was going to be about Queer politics, or the politics of embracing a queer 'identity' in rejection of a Gay one. But wow. What a subtle and beautifully challenging thing you have done here.

 

You've used 'queer' as a re-captured tool of oppression (in the hands of the majority who would deny us everything), and turn it on them to say 'yes, I was perverted to buy into your ways and means of keeping me alone and isolated from others like me.' Really brilliant.

 

The second half was more like what I was expecting, but it was calm and cool, and not too politically pointed. 

 

I'll have to read this more than once. Thanks for sharing!        

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Fae Briona said:

Another good piece. For too many of us still, queer is trying to find a way to survive in neighborhood/city/state/country that wants us dead. Growing up instinctively twisting language (as subtly as possible) into gender-neutral phrases.

You are definitely right, Fae Brown. It's definitely assumed by, I want to say more privileged gays, that there's a rainbow on the other side when you become an adult. But that's definitely not the case for a lot of us. It was nice to write about some pleasant aspects of what being a queer person could be, while understanding this isn't really everyone's reality and we got a long way to go. 

 

Thank you for reading and offering feedback!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, AC Benus said:

You know, when I saw the title of this, I assumed it was going to be about Queer politics, or the politics of embracing a queer 'identity' in rejection of a Gay one. But wow. What a subtle and beautifully challenging thing you have done here.

 

You've used 'queer' as a re-captured tool of oppression (in the hands of the majority who would deny us everything), and turn it on them to say 'yes, I was perverted to buy into your ways and means of keeping me alone and isolated from others like me.' Really brilliant.

 

The second half was more like what I was expecting, but it was calm and cool, and not too politically pointed. 

 

I'll have to read this more than once. Thanks for sharing!        

I completely understand why that was what you were expecting. Sometimes I get so used to using queer as a blanket term for the LGB community, I forget it's use as a recaptured tool of oppression. If I can be honest, if I had more time with the piece back then, I do wonder if I would've been more inclined to expand on what queer identity is. But I do like that I did a piece that talked about shared experiences, combating the isolation we've all dealt with or continue to deal with.

 

You're welcome and thanks for reading!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..