Jump to content
    BDANR
  • Author
  • 192 Words
  • 1,392 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Loving Fiercely: How I Resist - 10. Chapter 10: What if You Knew Their Names?

Today was the Day of Caring at the homeless shelter that I work at. If there are two things I've gained from serving vulnerable and marginalized people is their resilience and gaining a better understanding of their struggles. This is a poem I created to fight against the stereotypes that plague this community.

Would you call a homeless man a bum if you knew his name?

Tell him he’s lazy, deserving of this difficult fate?

You’d never know the work he does to turn it around

Fighting against a system that always puts him down

 

Would you call a woman a tramp if you knew her name?

Having sex for money so she’d have a bed for sleep

Would you hold it against her? Would you hear her pleas?

Used constantly by men who don’t care if she lives

 

Would you call a man a bum if you knew his name?

Write him off as a crazy when screaming on the streets

You’d never know this isn’t the life he chose

Horrified by the voices that will not go

 

Would you call her a crackhead if you knew her?

Agitated, antsy, never finding peace

Using a drug to find a way to cope

Numbing from a world that gives her no hope

 

Do we need to justify

these names we use toward our own?

 

Can we look past the surface and see

A human being like you and me?

Thanks for reading.
Copyright © 2017 BDANR; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is an amazing poem. I am inspired, called, stirred up in it. In it I hear legions of others who are voiceless as well as nameless. In it I hear the insistent call of people like you, who care. This should be required reading. Everywhere. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

This is an amazing poem. I am inspired, called, stirred up in it. In it I hear legions of others who are voiceless as well as nameless. In it I hear the insistent call of people like you, who care. This should be required reading. Everywhere. 

What a heartfelt affirmation! Thank you so much, Parker. It felt good to create something like this. I love what I do and I have a lot of passion for who I serve.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I lived on the street, in decaying buildings, filthy rooms, found food in dumpsters and shelters, sold myself for drugs or money, or my pimp/lover did, for seven years. People don't want to see you or know your name.   Would it make a difference?  No, i truly don't think it would. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

I lived on the street, in decaying buildings, filthy rooms, found food in dumpsters and shelters, sold myself for drugs or money, or my pimp/lover did, for seven years. People don't want to see you or know your name.   Would it make a difference?  No, i truly don't think it would. 

You'd know much better than I would, Jimmy... I'm not sure what the solution would look like. I can't say I was able to correct my own assumptions until I moved to a city where there's more homeless than anywhere else I've ever been. It took just having conversations in order to correct my mindset for the better, but most wouldn't do even that as you've mentioned.

 

Thank you for your honesty and your feedback <3,

Bryant

Edited by BDANR
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, BDANR said:

You'd know much better than I would, Jimmy... I'm not sure what the solution would like. I can't say I was able to correct my own assumptions until I moved to a city where there's more homeless than anywhere else I've ever been. It took just having conversations in order to correct my mindset for the better, but most wouldn't do that, sadly.

 

Thank you for your honesty and your commentary <3,

Bryant

i mean this generally .. to some people it would i'm sure .. it would to me but i think even if my life had been different it would to me, at least i hope so.  But to the majority sadly i dont think so. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This is heartbreaking and completely understood. I’m HIV+ and have to navigate system for meds. I have a home and some money being disabled. I can speak up and make lives miserable.

 This segment is judged from moment seen. Never given an opportunity. When given assistance, ones assisting are overloaded with cases.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..