Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 485 Words
  • 489 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I don't usually write poetry, so please bear with me as you read this.

Dreams Fulfilled - 1. Chapter 1

When I was just a wee little lad and starting my adventure of going to school
I’d spend my free time doing many different things, although mostly in my mind
I might pretend to be a pirate sailing the ocean blue and raiding other ships
I’d take all of their valuables, put them in a chest, and bury it in a safe place.

I’d also pretend to be a knight slaying dragons and looking for the Holy Grail.
I might even pretend to be one of the very first to set foot in
North America.
As I paddled up rivers, blazed trails through the forests, and climbed mountains,
I’d also make friends with the natives, live off the land, and search for gold.

As I grew older, I’d pretend to be an astronaut who was flying around in space.
I would travel from planet to planet to see what interesting things I might find.
I also liked to play doctor, although not exactly in the way you might imagine -
Instead, I would examine the causes of various diseases until I discovered a cure.

As I got even older, I studied hard, went to a university, and pursued my dreams;
I earned a degree, with honors, with a dual major in microbiology and physics -
I’m now a microbiologist, trained as an astronaut, and performing my job in space.
My mission is to discover if there is life, even microscopic life, on other planets.

My first stop was Mars and I had to determine if it was safe for us to visit there -
I didn’t want to bring back something that would cause a new a disease on Earth,
Because if a harmful bacteria was inadvertently transported during our return trip,
It might cause an unknown disease or plague and wipeout the entire population.

After my time on Mars, I was ordered to investigate a very large asteroid next,

To determine if there’s any life there that might possibly be harmful to humans -
I did this since multiple companies wanted to mine there and extract the minerals
So they could transport them back to earth and use them for various applications.

It seems as if my more mature childhood fantasies have come true, in a way,
Since I’m now a doctor, as well as an astronaut, just not exactly as I’d envisioned.
I’m not curing diseases, but I am doing my part in helping to keep the earth safe,
And to do this I became an astronaut and flen numerous missions into space.

This may just be another one of my fantasies, but I hope I have proved a point:
Explore your childhood fantasies and someday one of them may also be fulfilled.
Don’t give up or listen to the bullies and naysayers that enjoy crushing dreams:
Just do everything that you can and possibly your dreams may also come true.

Copyright © 2023 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 16
Feel free to leave a comment or click on an emoji to let me know what you thought of this.  After reading the poems by real poets, I'm almost embarrassed to have entered this. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a beautiful poem that shows the importance of our dreams, it doesn't matter if you have one or many dreams they carry an importance. They lift us and give us hope for that 'one day' when a dream may come true. I do what I can working for homeless people, in a voluntary capacity, and too often I come across people who no longer have dreams. Their dreams have been taken from them, not necessarily by other people, sometimes it is circumstances beyond their control. One of the first things I try to do is help them rediscover their dreams, if I can succeed in that then I have helped them rediscover life. Life is nothing without dreams. Our dreams are important, thank you for reminding us.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Mancunian said:

What a beautiful poem that shows the importance of our dreams, it doesn't matter if you have one or many dreams they carry an importance. They lift us and give us hope for that 'one day' when a dream may come true. I do what I can working for homeless people, in a voluntary capacity, and too often I come across people who no longer have dreams. Their dreams have been taken from them, not necessarily by other people, sometimes it is circumstances beyond their control. One of the first things I try to do is help them rediscover their dreams, if I can succeed in that then I have helped them rediscover life. Life is nothing without dreams. Our dreams are important, thank you for reminding us.

And thank you for pointing out the impact that dreams can have on one's life.  I wish you all the best with helping the homeless rekindle their dreams, as well as inspiring your own dreams.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..