Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Goodnight, My Angel - Georgeotown Book IV - 12. GMA XII

“So, you have martial arts practice every Friday night?” Bentley Riff, Carson’s roommate and a junior at GU’s McCourt School of Public Policy was a candidate for president of the Georgetown University Student Association. The previous fall, he had asked CJ to run for the second spot on the ballot. He was not part of the inner circle of friends; his knowledge about CJ’s life was limited.

“Yeah, my buddy Thiago and I have been doing it since high school. Although he’s been slacking off lately.”

“Don’t be an ass, CJ.” Owen reached for another slice. They had invited Bentley, Carson, and a few of the other candidates for pizza and beer. “The man has a baby to take care of now. Let’s see if you don’t slack off a bit when you become a father.”

“Hey, can I ask another question about Brad?” Carson was the newest member of The Squad and had only met the soldier twice: at the wedding, and at the birthday party in New York.

“Shoot.” CJ tried to decide whether his next slice would be a meat-lovers or a veggie-delight. He ended up choosing plain cheese.

“So, he lost both legs and that’s pretty fucked already. But did he have any other serious injuries?”

“Scrapes and scratches all over. Burns on the side of the body closest to the explosion. A couple of broken fingers, and shrapnel embedded in various parts of his body. The day I got there, he was in surgery. They were removing metal from his abdomen. The doctors worried more about that than his legs being gone!”

“What happens next with him?” Gina was one of two non-candidates present. Although she was about to graduate, she had campaigned for Bentley and CJ’s slate of candidates and served as the main contact with the GLBT community. Everyone seemed to think having CJ on the ticket all but guaranteed getting that voting block. The ticket’s endorsement by the Student of Color Alliance, the umbrella organization for groups serving students of color at Georgetown, was also credited to CJ and his impassioned presentation in front of them.

“He flies back to the states, gets admitted to Walter Reed, and starts rehab as soon as he’s able to. I guess at some point he’ll get artificial legs. I’m not sure what else happens. Haven’t had time to check up on it yet.”

Although most of them were drinking beer, Bentley accepted Owen’s offer of wine. “Ozzie, this stuff is incredible.” CJ had agreed to open a bottle of his treasured Liston Verdelho for the evening; he wanted the man to experience what he thought was the best offering from the family’s vineyard. “So, your family sends you guys a couple of cases every month, but it’s not sold in the United States otherwise?”

“Nope, we don’t make enough for export. My brother wants to expand production. He’ll end up running the business when our dad retires, so maybe one day.”

“Well, I may be inviting myself over a lot next school year if you guys drink this all the time. And the soundtrack doesn’t hurt. This is the stuff my parents played while I grew up. I’m surprised you like country music.”

“That’s CJ. He has the most eclectic taste in music ever. All this stuff’s older than him.” At the moment, Garth Brooks’ “We Shall be Free” emanated from the speakers. “Brooks became a favorite when CJ discovered the artist’s sister was a lesbian and he co-wrote a song for her. It’s one of his anthems. He plays this all the time.”

”Hey, CJ! One final question about the election. When we win, I’d like to have a few meetings of the executive committee over the summer. Are you available?”

CJ looked at Owen who shrugged. “Yeah, I guess. This will be the last summer Ozzie and I have free together. He starts work at the end of August, beginning of September. We’re traveling some. We’ll be gone most of June for sure. And we’ll spend a weekend or two with friends on Fire Island at some point. But otherwise, I’m pretty sure we’ll be around. We can meet here or use my dads’ place if you want.”

“I gotta pee.” Carson stood but did not move. “Hey, even if you’re out of town, the rest of us can meet. I know you guys skype with Ozzie’s family in Australia all the time. We could do the same.”

“Go to the bathroom, Carson. We don’t need you having an accident the way Wingnut did last time he stayed over.” CJ shook his head remembering how he had ignored the dog while lost in his studies, and ended with a puddle in the middle of the kitchen. “On the way back, grab me another beer from the fridge, please. If I’m spending the next two days at Lauinger Library studying, I may as well get a buzz tonight.”

 

“Daddy!” Gamon Mookjai slipped away from CJ and Owen and ran to his father. Chatri looked tired. His clothes were rumpled, and dark circles had sprouted beneath his eyes. His wife, Helen began experiencing contractions the previous day, and they had dropped their son off at CJ and Owen’s place on the way to the hospital.

“No running, Gamon.” Chatri leaned down and picked up the three-year-old. “Did you have fun spending the night with your uncles? Thanks for looking after him, guys.”

“I helped build a castle! With Legos!” His head tucked into his father’s neck, the kid went from sounding excited to sad. “Uncle CJ said I can’t have any. ’Cause I’m too little.”

“Yeah, but I promised I’d buy you some as soon as you’re old enough.” CJ and Owen had kept close tabs on the kid, afraid he would try to eat one of the plastic bricks and choke.

“It was a pleasure looking after him, mate. They played with the Legos while I fixed dinner, and then we watched a Disney movie.” Owen grinned at the kid, whose head bobbed in agreement. “He can come hang with us anytime. And now that we have a car seat, I’ll even offer pick-up and drop-off service.” After Thiago’s son was born, they purchased a child carrier thinking ahead to when any of their friends having kids would ask them to babysit. “Stop rolling your eyes. Not everyone gets the same offer.”

“How are the mother and the new rug rat, Pad Thai?” CJ’s use of the quasi-derogatory nickname earned him a slap to the head from Owen.

“You’re still the same twerp I met all those years ago at the gym.” Chatri may have been berating his friend, but he smiled throughout. “Both fine. Helen’s napping, and the baby’s in the nursery right now. Come on, time for you guys to meet your new nephew, and for Gamon to meet his brother.”

“So, Gamon means from the heart. What did you end up naming the new one?”

“Right hand’s son,” Chatri replied, smirking.

“What?”

“That’s what his name means, you doofus. We named him after Helen’s father. Come on, let’s go see Benjamin Mookjai.”

 

Owen’s graduation from George Washington University coincided with Gina’s commencement exercise at Georgetown. He had already told CJ he did not want to make a big deal out of the milestone. It was his third degree, and he did not need to don a cap and gown again. Their friend’s graduation was another matter.

Gina Nichols was the first one in her family to graduate from college. Due to distance, cost, and the fact she would be flying home to Alaska two days after the ceremony, she had no relatives to help celebrate her accomplishment. CJ and Owen decided to compensate by making a big deal out of it.

On Friday night, they threw a party at the Prospect Street townhouse with her as the guest of honor. “Captain Davenport, Mr. Abelló, thank you for doing this. You didn’t have to, and I appreciate it more than you can imagine.”

“Actually, Gina, we didn’t have a choice. CJ told us he was throwing a party and told us what we needed to order. I’m surprised he didn’t tell us we had to get out of our own house for the night.”

“Jarhead! Stop being a jerk.” César shook his head in apparent disbelief. “Don’t listen to him, Gina. He’s being ornery.”

“What Dad means to say is: Papa’s being an asshole. Again!” CJ blew out a perfect smoke ring and brandished his cigar to emphasize the comment.

“CJ’s language might be a bit more colorful than what I had in mind, but he’s right. It’s our pleasure to have you and your friends here. When CJ and Owen mentioned most of the guests were going to be members of the GLBT group at GU, neither one of us hesitated. We figured being this close to campus, our place was convenient.”

“Everyone can drink as much as they want, and there’s no need to drive.” Owen took a sip from the twenty-five-year-old El Dorado rum Abuelo Abelló sent him as a graduation present. When he googled the brand, he was surprised to discover how rare and expensive the Guyana product was. He told CJ it was not to be shared with anyone outside the family; he was unsure they could replace the limited edition bottling. “And we figured this was as safe as space as anyone could find, what with it being a gay household. Well, except for Ritchie, but he’s used to us and our friends by now.”

“I don’t think he pays much attention to sexual orientation.” Gina repeated a remark she had made before. “But I was impressed the one friend he invited tonight is gay. I wish more high school kids were like your brother. Bullying would be history if we could all be as accepting as he is.”

“I hope you don’t become a stranger now that you’re graduating, Gina. You’re welcome to stop by whenever you want after you return from Alaska.”

“That won’t be a problem, Dad. Ozzie and I plan on having her over to our placeand by default hereas often as possible in the coming year.”

 

CJ was gratified when his prediction about Brad having a strong support system proved accurate. The day after his friend arrived at Walter Reed Medical Center, his mother, stepfather, and brother traveled to Washington and remained for a week. Ethan and Sean came from New York for a visit, and so did Chipper as soon as his exams were over at the University of Miami. Chipper’s sister, Cristina, called and sent flowers. Even CJ’s grandparents reached out to offer support.

Brad had lost his legs, and the recovery would be long and arduous. However, of most importance, he was alive.

Mann Ramblings and Reader1810 once again helped me polish this chapter. My thanks to both.
Copyright © 2018 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 61
  • Love 44
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



11 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

I agree. Loved this chapter

 

Glad you liked it. Five more days and you get the next one!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
5 hours ago, tesao said:

What a nice surprise - a bonus chapter (or maybe the second half of the original that was split in two) !   This excellent chapter was also a welcome breather from last week’s heartbreaking installment,  so the structure worked out very well. Thank you.

 

Both! Instead of expanding these scenes or rolling them over to the next chapter as I've done before, I decided on a between-Fridays treat. These were meant to ratchet the drama back and set us up for a couple of 'play' chapters.

 

5 hours ago, tesao said:

 CJ And Owen continue to drop very broad hints - albeit to disparate audiences - about impending parenthood (I mean, I’ve never known anyone to buy a car seat to be able to ferry their friends’ children around), and no one seems to be catching on. Someone must be wondering. 

 

Oh, I don't know... I mean, they have Gamon and now Benjamin Mookjai and also Fabricio Baravento. And before the summer of 2019 is over, there'll be another baby around. The cast is multiplying like rabbits!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..