Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Rides - 23. Stocking Supplies

p align="center">Prompt 433

First Line
Where did all that come from?

“Where did all that come from?” Jessie didn’t wait for a response, he wiped the grease off his hands on the rag sticking from the back pocket of his shorts, and moved towards the truck to lend a hand unloading it.

“Publix,” replied Aitor grinning. “The boss changed his mind on the way to St. Augustine. He decided it was a groceries kind of day.”

‘Humpf! The way the two of you eat, I’m scared we’ll run out of food.” Lars stripped off the t-shirt he was wearing, and used it to wipe the sweat off his fur covered chest. “I want to make a few more runs this week. We can rotate who goes so no one gets stuck here all the time.”

Six months after stumbling into the Guana River Environmental Station, and deciding to make it their home, the three men were busy turning it into a secure compound, and stocking supplies. With hurricane season approaching, they’d been spending less time fishing and hunting, concentrating on scavenging the nearby city instead, in search of essentials.

Following the celebration on the beach the previous November, Lars had laid out a plan to ensure their existence in this new world. The deadly virus released in Saudi Arabia during Ramadan had wiped out most the planet’s population. Small pockets of survivors―due to natural immunity or isolation during the days of the pandemic―found themselves trying to cope with isolation, and conditions most twenty-first century humans were ill-prepared for.

They had established communications, via shortwave radio, with several communities. The group in Key West had invited the two Europeans, and the young man from Texas, to drive down the peninsula and settle in the Conch Republic. Jessie had been quick to point out the small island’s isolation might be great for security, but it made replenishing supplies difficult. They had declined, but promised to visit at some point.

“Okay, that works for me.” The young American grabbed three cases of canned vegetables and followed his partners inside the building. “I’d like to look for fuel tomorrow. The chances of a storm this early in the season are small. I know that from growing up in Abilene, and seeing a few of them blow through the state. But when we do get hit, I want to have a couple of tank trucks full of diesel on hand.”

“You guys can go tomorrow.” Lars held the door open with his foot to let the other two men walk inside the structure. “Maybe we’ll set up a schedule and do certain runs on specific days. I’ll reserve one day a week for medicals. I’m not happy with the amount of meds we have on hand.”

“Why did I have to marry an anal retentive doctor?” Aitor shook his head and rolled his eyes, as he added the cases he carried to the stack by the wall. “You need to forget about trying to create a hospital here.”

Jessie snickered, enjoying the banter between the men he’d grown to love. “Maybe we could turn the old gas station down the road into one. It’ll just mean dragging back more stuff.”

“Shut up, Tex!” The swarthy Spaniard smacked Jessie’s butt on the way back to the truck for another load of canned good. “Doc has to realize he’s not home in Sweden sometime soon. He needs to get used to living without nice, clean medical facilities in Allah’s World.”

Wanna read more about the guys?
© Copyright 2015 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/05/2015 01:24 AM, Kitt said:

Woo hoo! More Jessie, Aitor and Lars! Looking forward to it!

LOL

 

Trying to get the wheels spinning again :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Jesse, Aitor and Lars - nice peek into their lives to see how they are doing.

 

I must admit, I didn't catch on until I read Lars' name (Aitor had me pondering :huh: but, in my defence, it was very very early in the morning when I first read AR. Damn birds! :angry: Or maybe, I should be thanking them? :yes:

 

You didn't hear it (thank goodness), but I might have squealed just a little bit :blushing: when I realized who I was reading about.

 


Nice treat. Thanks Carlos.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/05/2015 03:06 AM, Reader1810 said:

Jesse, Aitor and Lars - nice peek into their lives to see how they are doing.

 

I must admit, I didn't catch on until I read Lars' name (Aitor had me pondering :huh: but, in my defence, it was very very early in the morning when I first read AR. Damn birds! :angry: Or maybe, I should be thanking them? :yes:

 

You didn't hear it (thank goodness), but I might have squealed just a little bit :blushing: when I realized who I was reading about.

 

 

Nice treat. Thanks Carlos.

Thanks 1810. i couldn't hear crap. They've been mowing the lawn and using the blower so I turned on the AC and closed the windows.

 

I've been wanting to dust off the guys for a while. I thought they were great characters who suffered a bit from my inexperince at the time I wrote Revenge.

 

They may show up again sometime in the future...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Yes. I definitely want to see more of these guys. Thanks for a small glimpse.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/05/2015 03:30 AM, drpaladin said:

Yes. I definitely want to see more of these guys. Thanks for a small glimpse.

It's been almost a year since their story was first published. I left them laying on the beach at the end of November and I figured it was time to check in with them and see how they were doing. Thnks, Dr. P :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Yes please! More Aitor, more Jessie, more Lars! You're getting the picture...
Nice prompt too. It was great to see them again.

 


ps: will be back with a 'like'

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/05/2015 06:46 AM, Defiance19 said:

Yes please! More Aitor, more Jessie, more Lars! You're getting the picture...

Nice prompt too. It was great to see them again.

 

 

ps: will be back with a 'like'

I'm glad to see people remember the guys! A couple more prompts to try and get in the swing of writing different stuff, and then I'll figure out what the next project will be.

 

Dreamt about CJ last night, damn kid doesn't want to leave me alone!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..