Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Rides - 22. Silver Anniversary

p style="text-align:center;"> Prompt 425

First Line
“I never thought it could be like this.”

“I never thought it could be like this.” I held Terry’s hand, looking up at his emerald eyes, smiling. Strolling through Mallory Square just before sunset was something we never grew tired of doing. Sidestepping tourists and street performers was second nature to us. We walked the half dozen blocks from our place on Caroline Street almost every day to watch the magnificent spectacle of the sun setting on the Gulf of Mexico.

“Pretty cool, eh? Twenty-five years together.” Bending his head down, his luscious soft lips sought mine, quickly pulling away after teasing me with an almost kiss. His hands, dark from the sun, calloused from handling equipment and pulling ropes on the boat, gently cupped my face. He leaned in once again, and his kiss lasted long enough to make my body tingle.

“Happy twenty-fifth anniversary, babe.” I ran my fingers through the hair on his chest, seeking out my name, inked above his heart. The once dark fur was snowy these days but still thick and luscious. Tracing the script the tattoo artist used always gave me a thrill. As usual, I gave the gold ring dangling from his left nipple a tug when I was done.

“We almost didn’t make it to the first one.” The memories his word stirred made me cringe. He saw it in my face and wrapped his muscular arms around my body, drawing me against him. I turned my face sideways, placing it against his solid breast, while he rested his chin on top of my messy curly hair. Flicking my tongue out, I licked a drop of salty sweat precariously clinging to the pierced brown nub.

“Don’t remind me. I was such an ass.” We met at forty; I was carrying enough baggage to fill steamer trunks. Failed relationships, dead-end jobs… alcohol, drugs, and sex helped me get through the days. I had a fifteen-year-old kid I did not understand. Terry was supposed to be a one-night thing. A fuck. A hot stud with a big piece of meat that made me squirm. I almost let him get away.

“I wouldn’t say you were an ass. Maybe an assling?” Two weeks after he turned me into a quivering mass of gelatin, thrusting into me for almost an entire night, we ran into each other at a biker joint on Duval. I was working the bar, slinging two-for-one cocktails during happy hour. I was horny, and the thought of a repeat performance from the stud got him his first beer on the house. It worked. He stuck around until my shift was over, then followed me home. As he left my tiny house the next morning, he met my child.

“Jerk!” Not really. He was never a jerk, although I had been. Terry was stable and reliable; I was not. He became a regular visitor and overnight guest. Whenever he was not in my bed, other men found their way there. I refused to accept he was anything more than a good time. Until I woke up one morning, hung over, if not still drunk, to find him with his arms wrapped around my kid. He went from being a fun fuck to a perverted pedophile.

“Maybe, but you still love me.” He was right. I did love him. Although that morning so many years ago, I was ready to kill him. I told him so, running towards the bedroom to get my gun. Did not make it too far. I was tackled from behind, dropped to the floor, and sat on until I quieted enough to listen to what they both had to say.

“I can always change my mind…” My teasing made him smirk. I did change my mind that day. I heard how Terry was acting like a father to my child. A child I never mistreated but often neglected. Who had to deal with the parade of men running through our house. Who was desperate for me to settle down with one, so we could have some sort of normal family life. Whatever the fuck normal meant.

“What time’s the kid getting in?” They forced me to face myself that steamy Saturday in the middle of July, and I did not like what I saw. After calming down, I promised to try to make some changes. I did try. It was far from easy, but they helped, and my life slowly found some balance. A month before the one-year anniversary of our first meeting, Terry moved in. A couple of houses, and twenty-four years later, we are still together.

“May I remind you the kid’s the same age we were when we met? Married with two boys of his own? Their flight arrived a half hour ago. They should be at the house already. Let’s go home.”

Edited 29 October 2017 to correct spelling and grammatical errors.
© Copyright 2015 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/03/2015 02:39 AM, aditus said:

Yeah, well...wish to be there some day.

Mallory Square or 25th Anniversary? LOL

 

My parents have been married for 59 years, my best friend for 27, my older brother for 21, and I know a bunch of couples, gay and straight, who've been together for over 20 years. Not easy, but it can happen.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/03/2015 05:49 AM, Parker Owens said:

Perfect. A beautiful sunset day of a story. Congrats on an awesome setting-piece!

Thanks Parker. The atmosphere of the place was one of the things I wanted to capture. Didn't want the story to get too long so I edited some out but I'm happy you still get a sense of place.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I really liked this one Carlos.
A bit "quieter" than what I've come to expect from you - didn't know you had such a sweet side. :)
I really enjoyed this one and it is nice to see such longevity in relationships in this day and age.
With regard to my original comment, you should do more of this - you do it well. :thumbup:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Loved it Carlos.. The vibe felt so right. There are glimpses in your other works, but I'm always pleasantly surprised when you turn out tender pieces like this. Well done...

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/03/2015 11:49 AM, Reader1810 said:

I really liked this one Carlos.

A bit "quieter" than what I've come to expect from you - didn't know you had such a sweet side. :)

I really enjoyed this one and it is nice to see such longevity in relationships in this day and age.

With regard to my original comment, you should do more of this - you do it well. :thumbup:

Thanks 1810. And yes, this is the one I messed up the posting of a while back.

 

Me? A sweet side? Are you trying to ruin my reputation? I've tried to use prompt responses to test new styles of telling a story, or different genres. I refuse to be a one-trick-pony, at least until I become famous. :P

 

Sappy love stories are not generally my cup of tea, I prefer ones more grounded in reality, as you can tell by most of Autumn (ignore Brett's wealth.) Or things like Trooper Tales, which make me chuckle with silly, corny lines. Sometimes, however, the hamster in my head decides to start dancing to a different tune and I just dance along with it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/03/2015 01:40 PM, Defiance19 said:

Loved it Carlos.. The vibe felt so right. There are glimpses in your other works, but I'm always pleasantly surprised when you turn out tender pieces like this. Well done...

Thank you, defiant one. Contrary to popular belief, I do believe in romance! :yes:

 

This one was an attempt to provide a sense of peaceful space, physical and emotional, which I hope came through.

 

And if I did it right, it works as either a gay or straight love story. (Come on Spielberg, give me a call!)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

You should consider doing more first person narratives. You've packed a lot into this short, and the narrator's voice is very relatable, even with his past character flaws. Well done.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/05/2015 03:44 AM, Mann Ramblings said:

You should consider doing more first person narratives. You've packed a lot into this short, and the narrator's voice is very relatable, even with his past character flaws. Well done.

Damn! Thanks, Mann. I'll keep this in mind for the future. You know what's been taking up most of my time, and that's well entrenched in another format. But I'll try first person again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/26/2016 at 5:57 PM, Sasha Distan said:

So sweet, so adorable, so perfectly everything you could want from a short. love love love.

Damn, if it gets you to read my stuff and leave me reviews I'll have to drop links around more often. I read it today for the first time since I posted it and realized I need to take a red pencil to a spot or two, but I'm kinda proud of it. Thanks, m8

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Mancunian said:

Sweet and easily relatable to real life, it shows how life can be if you really want it. Thanks Carlos.

Thank you!

I've preached about newer authors using prompts as a way of practicing and experimenting, and this is a perfect example.

Not sure if you noticed, but I never named or identified the narrator's sex/gender. My goal was for readers to decide if it was a man or a woman. Being vague at times is a useful tool; I may have used it again in subsequent stories. :)

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, Mrsgnomie said:

This was cute and funny and packed in one hell of a punch! Thanks for dropping the link. 

I've been going to the Florida Keys since I was a kid; one of my first drives after getting my license at 16 was in my dads business van with a few friends and a cooler of beer in the back. I tried to capture Key West's quirky characters and atmosphere. Thanks for reading, Liebe. (That chapter where she emulates your bully handling's coming up next month.) LMAO

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

I've been going to the Florida Keys since I was a kid; one of my first drives after getting my license at 16 was in my dads business van with a few friends and a cooler of beer in the back. I tried to capture Key West's quirky characters and atmosphere. Thanks for reading, Liebe. (That chapter where she emulates your bully handling's coming up next month.) LMAO

🤣🤣🤣 can’t wait! 

Edited by Mrsgnomie
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Mrsgnomie said:

🤣🤣🤣 can’t wait! 

I'm telling the whole world you were responsible for her mishap. I can't believe you brag about that. But then again, you know how she turns out. :P

People are gonna wonder what the fuck we're talking about!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..