Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Rides - 25. Brotherly Advice

p align="center">Prompt 450

Word List
apple – farm – hay – horse - diamond ring

The candy apple red Ferrari came to life with a roar, bringing a smile to Kip’s unshaved face. His beaming smile spoke volumes about the frame of mind he was in. One more tick on the bucket list of the Miami Marlins up-and-coming star. His kid brother, a senior in high school following on the star pitcher’s footsteps, let out a whoop as the Italian muscle car peeled out of the dealership’s parking lot. The teen’s longish, dark-brown hair whipped around his face, as his older brother stepped on the gas pedal, and swung onto the ramp for the expressway.

“Yay! This fucking rocks, bro. maybe I’ll skip college and enter the draft. I could use me a ride like this.”

“You just go ahead and do that, little boy” Kip took a hand away from the steering wheel, slightly lowered his sunglasses, and momentarily peered at the younger guy in the passenger seat. “I’ll make sure you spend your entire career on a farm team in the middle of nowhere. Or I might just cut your balls off instead.”

“Ouch!” exclaimed the kid quickly covering up his groin. “What the fuck, man? What’s your problem?” He furrowed his brow and shook his head, while staring at his older sibling. “The scouts have been smelling around enough. I know I’ll be a high pick if I declare for the draft. I may as well make hay while I can. What if I blow out my arm or something?”

“Then you finish your degree, like I did. With that piece of paper in hand, you lead a normal life.” Kip slowed down enough to ensure his voice was heard above the combined roars of the engine and the wind. “Being a jock can’t be the most important thing in your life, bro. Sports won’t last long, an education will. You have a scholarship, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Take advantage of it.”

“Easy for you to say. You’ve got it all: the bazillion dollar contract, the crib, the wheels, a College World Series diamond ring... All you need is the honey pot to dip into.”

“Yeah, well, had that too for a while. The asshole cheated on me as soon as we got to Stanford, I had to throw his sorry ass out.” A slight note of sadness tinged the ball player’s words for a few seconds. “I shouldn’t complain. In a way, it was a blessing. It kept me out of trouble. The breakup made me spend my free time at the gym or the library. You could say the world gave me onions, so I made onion soup.”

“Bro, you’re sooo weird. But I still love you anyway. When can I drive?”

© Copyright 2015 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Darn it! Out of Likes.... Took the long route through the Forum to get here and got distracted by the view :gikkle:
I will be back later to take care of unfinished business. For now :heart: :heart: :heart:

 

Delightful little Prompt. A life lesson to start the day and then this....
You could say the world gave me onions, so I made onion soup.
:):D:lol::lmao: :lmao: :)
Nice! :2thumbs:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/09/2015 09:39 PM, dughlas said:

Can't go wrong with onion soup ...

LOL... you might want to ask Reader1810 about the soup. Feel free to go off-topic on the CJ discussion thread.

 

Thanks, Dugh. Hope you're feeling better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/09/2015 10:00 PM, Reader1810 said:

Darn it! Out of Likes.... Took the long route through the Forum to get here and got distracted by the view :gikkle:

I will be back later to take care of unfinished business. For now :heart: :heart: :heart:

 

Delightful little Prompt. A life lesson to start the day and then this....

You could say the world gave me onions, so I made onion soup.

:):D:lol::lmao: :lmao: :)

Nice! :2thumbs:

:gikkle:

 

You liked that, eh? Told ya it would work it's way into a story. Gave me the perfect wrap-up for a little vignette.

 

I try to shy away from the obvious, when using word list prompts, and I think this one got me there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nice.. Great advice. I wish more players would heed that and draft later. Some of them can benefit from being a bit more mature also, not that it always helps..
Enjoyed this one...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/09/2015 11:59 PM, Parker Owens said:

Cute. Very clever, and wonderfully spoken. And most of all, true. Great advice from big bro!

Thanks, Parker. I like varying the style and/or theme of my prompt responses, and I always try not to follow the obvious path laid out by the words. A bit more of a challenge that way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/10/2015 03:53 AM, Defiance19 said:

Nice.. Great advice. I wish more players would heed that and draft later. Some of them can benefit from being a bit more mature also, not that it always helps..

Enjoyed this one...

A lot has to do with their age, but sometimes, it's those around them and closest to them who push them for their own selfish reasaons. Never smart to put all your eggs in one basket!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..