Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Rides - 17. Central Committee

p align="center">Prompt 409
The Storm
The storms have been coming... What do you do to prepare for such a storm?

“That fucking cunt! She blames the shortages on the weather, and defends rationing by the Committee, claiming it’s done for the common good. Horse shit! If resources were properly allocated, there would be no shortages. Instead, she and those she favors, are well supplied, remain warm, and lack for nothing. The rest of us? We suffer.” It was cold outside; I was tired, filthy, and in a bad mood. “The bitch’s all nice in public, talking about how much she cares for everyone, but all she really cares about is herself. We work, and we pay taxes, which line the pockets of the puppets she has surrounded herself with.”

“Quiet, lad.” My father was helping me pull the sled; piled high with bags of coal, we’d liberated from the abandoned mine. “You’re next in line to rule our clan, can’t have our future leader being arrested. The very rocks have ears these days. What if someone hears, and reports you? Be happy we’ll be warm, when the storm hits us.”

“But, da, it’s not fair.” Over the past fifty years, winters had grown longer, growing seasons shorter and our ability to speak our minds had all but disappeared. “We toil from dawn to dusk, the leeches benefit from our efforts, yet we struggle to remain alive.”

“Aye, it may not be fair, Cailin, but it is what it is. Hurry now, lad; we must finish the preparations, before the tempest reaches us.” Alastair MacDougall, my father, was a strong man, he held the thick rope in his gloved hands, and steadily pulled the sled―his step never faltered. Crossing the northernmost section of frozen Loch Etive, we approached our village. Da had told us of the times the sea loch never froze, when he was a youngster. Now the ice was thick enough to walk on.

Ma, my wife, and the rest of the women, were back at the compound. They were cooking whatever game my brothers, uncles, and cousins had brought in from the hunt. As extremely fierce storms approached, we congregated at the ancestral compound of our leaders. We all then rushed, to complete as much of our emergency preparations as possible, before the power grid faltered, and electricity was cut. The old, cast iron, potbelly stoves, used to keep the living quarters warm, would also reheat the precooked meals.

While the men worked at sealing all openings, which might allow the cold gales to sweep into the large house, the children were busy readying the big communal room. It would serve as sleeping space, during the worst of the weather, for all unmarried men and women. Wedded couples, and infants, would fill the rooms on the second floor. Above that, the space would be sealed off; there would be no need to waste fuel heating the upper two levels. But there was one final task only the leader and his heir could perform. I dreaded it.

“If we’re trapped inside, for an extended period, there’s not enough food stored in the basement for the entire clan to survive.” My father’s face was somber as he spoke to me. I pray to the Gods I never need to have the same conversation with my son. “We’ll try to hold out as long as possible, but if the time comes, you must be strong. The survival of the next generation, of MacDougalls themselves, will depend on you performing your duty.”

“Is there any other way, da?”

“No there isn’t. I’ll sharpen the blades when we get inside. If it comes to it, I’ll take care of your mother, and any others who step forward. We want the bitch, and her puppets, to see what their greed has led to. It will be up to you, to make certain my head, and all the other ones, are sent to the capital.”

© Copyright 2015 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

That was a somber snippet of a view into a grim world with a mysterious female villain..

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hmmm, are you gonna expand this at some future point. There is a lot more to this story that I would like to know.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/15/2015 08:59 PM, drpaladin said:
That was a somber snippet of a view into a grim world with a mysterious female villain..
Yeah, a bit different from my previous prompt response. The prompts are supposed to inspire us to create something, I try to do that. I don't believe in searching through old prompts to find something to fit a preconceived idea, I try to either fit the current prompt into what's floating around in my mind, or allow the prompt to inspire an entirely new story. This one was a combination of both.

 

Hope you enjoyed, and thanks for leaving me a review.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/15/2015 09:27 PM, dughlas said:
Hmmm, are you gonna expand this at some future point. There is a lot more to this story that I would like to know.
Not sure bud... I've taken a prompt response before and expanded it so it wouldn't be unheard of.

 

However, at the beginning of the year I used the prompts to test out different ways of telling a story; now I'm using them to test out different genres.

 

If you look at my last few prompt posts, they're all very different. I don't want to be pigeonholed into any one type of story right now. Maybe I'm trying to prove to myself I'm talented enough to tackle anything (Maybe I'm just delusional :rofl:)

 

Hope you enjoyed it though, and thanks for leaving a review!!!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I love it. Took you only few words to drag me into this world. Would like to read more about it. JAR

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/16/2015 03:36 AM, JohnAR said:
I love it. Took you only few words to drag me into this world. Would like to read more about it. JAR
Thanks. Capturing someone's imagination is always a treat. Nothing planned right now, got plenty on my plate and fleshing this story out would require a lot of research in a lot of different areas.

 

Get me a publishing contract, with a big advance, so I can travel to Scotland, and do some of that research. I'll put everything else on hold.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/17/2015 02:36 AM, aditus said:
Jump in, jump out. A brief view into a harsh world. *thumb up*
Cold temperatures, dictatorships, climate change, Scottish clans, sense of community, hunger... got all that in, but forgot to include any gay characters!

 

Thanks for reading and reviewing, Adi.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/17/2015 09:07 AM, Bucket1 said:
Gruesome
You inspire me, buddy! :lol:

 

No, seriously... after the little story I did about the gym bunny, you made a comment about the inner workings of my mind. It inspired me to try writing even more varied stories.

 

Gym Bunny was a farce, Melvyn Ford was touching, Damn Uncle was silly, Evil Twin was surprising, and now Central Committee is gruesome. Throw in Summer and all the other ones, and I don't think you can pigeon hole me as being limited to writing just one genre.

 

Maybe I'll concentrate in one area eventually, but until then, I want to prove I can be creative, not formulaic!

 

Goes without saying, I love hearing what you think about my ruminations! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Well that was different.
I would love to hear more of this tale as it is quite compelling.
Unfortunately, I doubt the bitch and her puppets would give a flying fig (heard that line uttered by a character played by Cloris Leachman years ago and I love to this day) about the losses suffered by her subjects. I doubt even the severed heads of those who sacrificed themselves would be enough for them to feel any contrition for what they have allowed to happen. Reading this, I am reminded of Marie Antoinette's proclamation "let them it cake".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/05/2015 01:47 PM, Reader1810 said:

Well that was different.

I would love to hear more of this tale as it is quite compelling.

Unfortunately, I doubt the bitch and her puppets would give a flying fig (heard that line uttered by a character played by Cloris Leachman years ago and I love to this day) about the losses suffered by her subjects. I doubt even the severed heads of those who sacrificed themselves would be enough for them to feel any contrition for what they have allowed to happen. Reading this, I am reminded of Marie Antoinette's proclamation "let them it cake".

This is one of the short pieces which could morph into a longer tale. I definitely don't have the time for that right now, but you never know. Whether I expand it or not, Kate Winslet gets to play her in the movie version! :rofl:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..