Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Solcar - 7. Camelot 795

p style="text-align:center;"> Prompt 366 – Creative
Tag – List of Words
corn, hay bale, scarecrow, tractor, skinned knee

Colton’s smile was so broad and bright one almost needed sunglasses to look at him. He sat beside Tony, riding a tractor over a newly planted cornfield on the family farm. An entirely new experience for the man from Brooklyn he was falling in love with. They had traveled to Donnellson to celebrate the Iowan’s twenty-ninth birthday with the farmboy’s relatives. His parents had been pushing to meet the new guy in his life, who he could not stop talking about for the last couple of months. So, when Tony asked what he wanted to do for his special day…

Tonight, there would be dozens of friends and family members to help him celebrate. Uncles, aunts, cousins, and high school friends and teammates. He came out while a starting pitcher for the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, but this would be the first time any of these people saw him with a significant other. Appropriately, it was on May tenth, a rebirth of sorts. It was his birthday, and he would be publicly re-born as half of a couple.

The previous evening he had shared with Tony one of his favorite things to do growing up on the farm; they had slept on blankets in the barn loft. There had been one definite improvement over all those other times in his youth; before falling asleep, they had made love against a hay bale.

•••

“This search for the Holy Grail is such bullshit; who really gives a crap about finding a cup some carpenter supposedly used hundreds of years ago?”

“Please, master, lower your voice. The castle walls have ears, and if your comments made it back to the archbishop…”

“Fuck the archbishop! Then again, don’t,” added Sir Gareth as he softly laughed. “The man has been fucked so often, and by so many, a dragon could probably fly through his arse. Most certainly after taking on Lancelot so often. The size of the equipment on that man’s unbelievable. Did I ever tell you he once tried to bugger me? I threatened to slice it off with my sword!”

“Excuse me, my Lord, but you are not exactly small yourself. From the day I became your page, people have noticed I walk a bit differently. I hear their comments each morning after I leave here.”

“Are you complaining, boy?”

“No, my lord! Never! I was scared the first time but having you penetrate me is always the highlight of my day.”

“I still do not understand why I must spend a year on horseback, escorting a maiden, chasing after something which probably does not exist!”

“King Arthur requires it of all his knights, Sir Gareth. You are aware he expects all who sit with him at the Round Table to undertake the quest at least once in their lifetime.”

“Well, I still do not have to like it! At least you are allowed to travel with me; I am quite certain I could not survive without you alongside me for such a long period. I have become very fond of you in the past few years.”

“As have I, my lord. If you will excuse me for now, Merlin expects me in his quarters quick like. He is attempting to teach me a new spell which may at times assist us during our travels.”

“Then run along, my little sorcerer’s apprentice; you should not keep the Wizard waiting. Please do not return to me this evening looking like a scarecrow, with a skinned knee or a blackened eye once again.”

“I shall try my best, My Lord Sir Gareth of Twain,” shouted the smiling young man as he scampered away.

 

“Was King Arthur pleased with my Lord’s plans for his quest?”

“He appeared so. At least he did not scowl more than usual. His majesty needs to get laid to improve his mood; Lady Guinevere should really put out more than twice a year. The idiot is so bewitched by the conniving wench he refuses to avail himself of any of the court maidens. Oh well, his problem. My bollocks would explode if they were drained only on my birthing day and on day one of each year.”

“Please, sire, the walls, remember the walls.”

“Yes, yes, the listening walls. Was your training with Merlin successful today? Did you master the spell you thought would assist us during our travels?”

“Aye, my lord. I need to practice, but I do have the procedures memorized now.”

“Very well, then you shall perform a demonstration of this magical spell for my amusement right now!”

“As you command, my lord. The spell makes use of these funny yellow seeds, something Merlin called Magic Maize, obtained from a mighty wizard. Someone named Hank Morgan of Connecticut, often referred to as The Boss. By chanting the correct words and then placing a seed under the tongue, one is magically transported to a secret cave where one will rest until the period called for in the incantation expires.”

“This sounds like a dangerous spell, boy; could you not perchance remain in that cave until the end of time?”

“No, my lord. According to this Hank Morgan of Connecticut, the seeds would only allow you to sleep until the year they came from.”

“Best be careful then; I desire you back in my quarters by the time the Cathedral’s bells ring Vespers.”

“As you command, my lord.”

 

“Merlin, you useless fool. How is it you are unable to reverse an enchantment cast by the son of Harry the Potter, a simple sorcerer’s apprentice?”

“Not a simple apprentice, Sir Gareth, not a simple apprentice at all; an extremely powerful one destined for great things.”

“And when do you expect my page and companion to return to me from this magic cave he is supposedly resting in?”

“Utterly uncertain, my lord; it is a powerful spell he did perform. But I expect he shall return no later than the year the seeds came from, 1889.”

•••

Solcar knew he had a limited amount of time to read the contents of the small leather-bound book detailing his lives as a human over the past five thousand years. His sentence would not be officially over until he completed his task. He had placed the little tome in his backpack in the overhead compartment; as soon as his traveling companion had fallen asleep, he reached for it.

Even through the tears caused by the loss so many centuries ago, a small smile appeared on his face. The exuberant sorcerer’s apprentice had brought much joy to his life in Camelot; he wondered if the boy had ever reappeared?

Wizards for Halloween
Something a bit lighter than last week
Due to time constraints this chapter has not gone through any editorial review.
Therefore, more than ever, all errors are the author's responsibilities.
Copyright © 2014 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/31/2014 at 3:27 PM, Irritable1 said:

Ok, that was hilarious, but I still feel bad for poor Gareth.

A little irreverence, a little literary hodgepodge and a connection to Halloween and voila!

Funny thing is that when I started thinking about using Camelot as a setting for an installment and kinda slotted it into place after a "heavy" one, it never occurred to me that it would post on October 31.

And you're right, no matter how funny some of the dialogue and references may have been the underlying loss still brings sadness.

Just wanted to attempt something different, still trying to stretch and train these new literary muscles.

Thank you for reading and thank you so much for the review!

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Love 1
Link to comment

You certainly outdid yourself with the humor...I laughed out loud at the dragon joke. It made the underlying sadness easier to take. This has turned out to be quite a punishment for Solcar. Well written, well done and quite uniquely thought out. Cheers...Gary

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/31/2014 at 6:57 PM, Headstall said:

You certainly outdid yourself with the humor...I laughed out loud at the dragon joke. It made the underlying sadness easier to take. This has turned out to be quite a punishment for Solcar. Well written, well done and quite uniquely thought out. Cheers...Gary

Thanks Gary!

I actually had fun writing this one, kept coming up with silly ideas and it's kinda fun to see which ones ticked different folks' fancy. I even tried to take the edge off the sadness by leaving a glimmer of hope.

Each chapter has been a different experience and each one has helped me get a litter better handle on the overall story. I've revised the initial chapter and plan on doing the same with the second one. Hopefully they'll read a bit better and provide a cleaner vision of the overall tale.

I's always a pleasure to have you read and review my stuff!

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 11/1/2014 at 1:17 AM, JohnAR said:

Mmmmh. Why 1889? Interesting perspective on King Arthur ;-).

JAR

Hah! For once you're the one with the questions and I'm the one with the answers :D

The year is significant in connection with one of the literary references within the story. I'll answer privately so as not to give away here. Would love to see if anyone picks it up.

Arthurian legends take place over several centuries depending on who the author is. The concept of the Holy Gail and Christianity was not initially part of it since it took place prior to the Anglo-Saxons being converted. I took a bit from here, a bit from there and added some things of my own to finish the stew.

I'll take credit for Lancelot's huge penis and all the related activities!

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

“Fuck the archbishop! " After this I was lost. Too many pictures in my head which had nothing to do with your story but everything with current events. I still don't know if I should laugh or vomit.

After a few deep breaths I was back to enjoying the chapter. Thank you. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/02/2014 05:58 AM, aditus said:
“Fuck the archbishop! " After this I was lost. Too many pictures in my head which had nothing to do with your story but everything with current events. I still don't know if I should laugh or vomit.

After a few deep breaths I was back to enjoying the chapter. Thank you. :)

It's so damn nice to hear I can make someone laugh a bit even when there's some sadness, or in your case revulsion, involved. I might have gotten a wee bit carried away with some of the comments and visuals but what the heck. And so far everyone making a comment has focused on a different item so that's good!

 

Thanks for reading and for the review!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Having read Twain's story featuring Hank Morgan of Connecticut as a boy I recognized the reference though I admit I'd forgotten it was published in 1889. Nice touch. I wasn't aware that Harry the Potter was dad to the sorcerer's apprentice. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, dughlas said:

Having read Twain's story featuring Hank Morgan of Connecticut as a boy I recognized the reference though I admit I'd forgotten it was published in 1889. Nice touch. I wasn't aware that Harry the Potter was dad to the sorcerer's apprentice. 

LMAO

Sir Gareth of Twain would have been amazed at how Harry the Potter's son can make mops and water buckets dance. I first read about the Connecticut Yankee in Spanish when I was a kid. Since, I may have returned to the story once or twice. In English. :P

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..