Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Solcar - 6. San Francisco 1990

p style="text-align:center;"> Prompt 364 – Creative
Tag – First Line
“That is the last time I am telling you anything!”

“That is the last time I am telling you anything!” said Tony as they walked into their apartment. The warm March afternoon had turned into a chilly evening, and they were both ready to take a hot shower and jump into bed.

“He should have known better than to invite you out after Prime closed.”

“For goodness sake, babe, he’s just a kid! Getting all up in his face, threatening to cut off his dick before you shoved it up his ass, all in front of everyone, was a bit much.”

“Hey, you won’t let me brand you or put a collar on you, so I’ve gotta mark my territory somehow. Now, do your nightly business on the computer while I read for a bit. Half an hour, and then it’s shower time.”

Still smiling, Colton sat on his favorite chair, grabbed the small leather-bound book lying on the coffee table, opened it to a random page, and began reading again.

•••

Marine Corps Staff Sergeant Roy Michaels stood in front of San Francisco General Hospital on Potrero Avenue and shivered. It was due as much to the chilly March weather as to the fear he felt at the moment. Looking somewhat lost, he approached the information desk to the right of the entrance to ask for directions. An older lady looked with understanding and kindness in her expression while directing him to Ward 5A.

Yesterday’s unexpected phone call turned his comfortable, organized world upside down. The caller had a pleasant voice and broke the news gently, taking his time to introduce himself, explain the reason for the call, and suggested the marine should head up to San Francisco as soon as possible. There wasn’t a lot of time left.

His Commanding Officer at Pendleton was understanding, granted him a three-day Emergency Leave indicating if more time was necessary, he should call and request it. Back at the barracks, he packed a small bag, pressed his Dress Blues, and made reservations on the first flight leaving the following morning.

 

He barely recognized the person lying in the hospital bed. A sob escaped him, and his eyes quickly filled with tears as he turned away from the painful sight. A strong arm grabbed him around the shoulders and steered him outside into the hallway.

“Thank you for coming, Sergeant. Why don’t we grab a cup of coffee in the waiting room? I’ll try to answer any questions you may have.”

Unable to verbalize his agreement, Roy nodded. The gentle baritone addressing him was the same voice he had heard over the phone yesterday. The man behind it exuded calm and that somehow made the marine feel safe.

“I’m so, so sorry I didn’t contact you before; I was under the impression there were no living relatives. I discovered your existence last week while reviewing a box full of documents.”

Roy finally looked at the man next to him and was faced with piercing green eyes and a tired-looking face. The man was his height, and they appeared to have similar builds, but the stranger was quite a few years older. His curly black hair was sprinkled with white, as was his neat beard.

“You would think after five years living together as partners, I would have found out there was more to the family than a hateful, bigoted father and an indifferent, uncaring mother.”

The words were not uttered with malice or cruelly, yet they jolted the young marine. The couple referred to was everything the man said and more; a pair of self-absorbed individuals, their parental feelings corrupted by a vile religion and hateful priests.

“There was a Polaroidmust have been taken about a dozen years agothe two of you stood by an ice cream truck, with your arms around each other, and smiles on your faces.”

It was too much for Roy, the quiet sobs became loud, and the tears streamed down his face. When the older man put his arms around him and drew him close, the marine hugged back, put his head on the solid shoulder in front of him, and cried as he had not done in years.

“I brought the picture with me that evening and finally heard about you, Sergeant. And about how he stayed away in order to protect you from the vicious parents. Wasn’t easy finding you.”

For as long as he could remember, Roy had been in love with the Marine Corps. His parents felt joining the military was not proper for someone of their social standing; he saw it as a way of escaping their clutches, The day after his High School graduation, he enlisted.

“We met almost six years ago; I fell in love for the first time in my life. When we found out about the infection, I promised to be there until the end. I think it’ll be over soon.”

 

Retired Staff Sergeant Roy Michaels drove out of Camp Pendleton in Oceanside, California, and headed north toward San Francisco. A deep sadness clouded his expression. He was leaving his beloved Marine Corps. His future as an activist precluded any further association with the military.

His Commanding Officer had been extremely surprised by the young man’s decision not to re-up when his enlistment was over. The CO pointed out Roy’s rapid advance was a prelude to future success and a bright future. Why throw away such a promising career in the military? Realizing there was no way to convince his subordinate to reconsider, he asked for an honest answer as to why he was taking this step.

As much as he loved the Corps, and as much as making a career out of it had always been his dream, Roy could not in good conscience continue to serve an organization that deemed certain citizens less worthy than others. Individuals such as his older, gay sibling who had just died of complications related to AIDS. He had a new direction to follow now, a new goal to focus on; he promised at his brother’s deathbed to spend the remainder of his life fighting on behalf of others similarly afflicted.

•••

That was enough reading for the night. Colton did not want to end up in tears as he did most times he opened the book.

“Antonio, shower time!”

Dedicated to all those who've lost the fight and to those still fighting.
GET TESTED!
For more information visit
http://www.amfar.org/thirty-years-of-hiv/aids-snapshots-of-an-epidemic/
Copyright © 2014 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow Carlos! You said a lot in so few words, in such a subtle way. No rants, no soapboxes...just humanity exhibited in a sad but powerful way. This Marine is a hero, not because of the military but because of his choice to make a difference in honor of a brother scorned by family. People forget...i never do...and stories like this make me thankful that reminders exist. Kudos for the subject and the style of writing you seem to be refining...cheers..Gary

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/25/2014 05:49 AM, Headstall said:
Wow Carlos! You said a lot in so few words, in such a subtle way. No rants, no soapboxes...just humanity exhibited in a sad but powerful way. This Marine is a hero, not because of the military but because of his choice to make a difference in honor of a brother scorned by family. People forget...i never do...and stories like this make me thankful that reminders exist. Kudos for the subject and the style of writing you seem to be refining...cheers..Gary
Thanks again Gary, I'll share any praise with Kitt for her assistance. She and I talked a bit back and forth about the story and it's subject and as I told her, I've found myself thinking of lost friends recently. As with the Nazi Holocaust, we should NEVER FORGET!
  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

You do such a wonderful job of conveying a lot with a few words. Very well done. :,(

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/25/2014 01:27 PM, Valkyrie said:
You do such a wonderful job of conveying a lot with a few words. Very well done. :,(
Thanks Val! This one was the longest one yet and it was a struggle. It got away from me for a bit and had to read and cut back a few times. I keep trying to make the prose and dialogue as concise as possible while still getting the idea across. I still had to make a couple of changes after the editor went through to clarify a couple of points. I hope it worked.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/25/2014 07:28 PM, JohnAR said:
How could you break my heart with this?

JAR

This one was not easy. I admit to wiping my eyes a couple of times while writing it. Most of the other events in the other chapters, while still emotional, did not have the direct connection to gay males of our generations that this one does.

 

Thanks for the review buddy, it's truly appreciated!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Difficult one, and other reviewers have said all that needs to be said on the subject.

But I'm still trying to figure out who Solcar was in this story: the Marine or the lover of his brother? Both lost what they loved most.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/26/2014 08:36 PM, Timothy M. said:
Difficult one, and other reviewers have said all that needs to be said on the subject.

But I'm still trying to figure out who Solcar was in this story: the Marine or the lover of his brother? Both lost what they loved most.

This was a hard chapter to get through in many different ways. As I already mentioned, it's the longest one so far and up to the last minute I had to make changes to clarify certain things. (Thank you Kitt!)

 

The inability of the reader to identify who Solcar is seems to be a recurring problem and I'll try to fix that going forward.

 

In this chapter it's Roy. Although he doesn't utter a word throughout the story, he is at the center of it.

 

I keep trying different ways of telling the tale and in this case I chose to have narration and dialogue by an un-named character. Maybe I'm pushing my luck trying to be too clever?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

To quote one of my newly-favorite authors, "You're too damn good at playing with the readers emotions, you fucker. I had trouble with the damn fluorescent lights bothering my eyes a couple of times."

Damn fine writing on a damn difficult topic. We've lots too many of our best and brightest--and forgetting 'em isn't an option.

Thanks for reminding me of those lost.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/31/2014 06:46 AM, Robert Rex said:
To quote one of my newly-favorite authors, "You're too damn good at playing with the readers emotions, you fucker. I had trouble with the damn fluorescent lights bothering my eyes a couple of times."

Damn fine writing on a damn difficult topic. We've lots too many of our best and brightest--and forgetting 'em isn't an option.

Thanks for reminding me of those lost.

I hate it when my words come back to bite me in the ass. :P

 

It was our generation, yours and mine, that was hit so hard at the beginning. Been thinking about lost friends and lovers lately and wanted to do a little bit to keep their memory alive.

 

Thanks for readin' 'n' reviewin', Rex!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Wow, you really were able to bring out the emotions in this story. I don't personally know anyone who has died of AIDS. I just remember the stories that I've heard over the years and my heart goes out to those who have lost a loved one to it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/01/2014 05:28 AM, wolfwriter said:
Wow, you really were able to bring out the emotions in this story. I don't personally know anyone who has died of AIDS. I just remember the stories that I've heard over the years and my heart goes out to those who have lost a loved one to it.
Thanks R!

 

As I previously stated it was not an easy chapter to write, I've had to deal with quite a few losses but others my age where literally the Lone Survivor in their group.

 

Had to do something a bit lighter this week while still sticking to the story's theme of loss but definitely not as heavy or as personal.

 

Thanks for reading and thanks for the review.

 

Carlos

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..