Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Solcar - 10. Sydney 1825

p style="text-align:center;"> Prompt 372 – Creative
Tag – First Line
“Wait. You want me to do what now?”

Wait. You want me to do what now?”

“I want you to hire your brother Mario and his friend Troy as managers for Prime.”

“I’m not sure, Colt. Mario doesn’t graduate from college until next month, and I know he wants to travel some before he starts working.”

“Not a problem, he can start at the end of the summer. Troy’s bored with his job at the catering company. We know he’s good after what he did for us last year. Hell, people are still talking about how our three events were fabulousthe best of the Christmas 2014 season.”

“I guess, but would he want to work at a bar?”

“Tony, Prime’s no longer just a bar. It is the bar in all of Manhattan right now. And you’re working so many hours we barely see each other. That’s not what I thought would happen when we moved in together.”

“I know, Colt, I know. But losing two managers, one right after the other, has me a little shy about relinquishing too much control. I still can’t believe one was stealing and the other sexually harassed every employee―male, female, gay, or straight.”

“Babe, it’s now April; you’ve worked hard the past few months to fix all the problems. You can’t keep this pace forever― it’s time to get help.”

“You’re right as usual, Mr. Mann. I have to run. Would you please call Troy and set something up so we can get together? I’ll call Mario later on.”

“You got it. Now go make sure New York City’s in crowd gets properly liquored up to start their weekend. I’m going to read for a bit, and I’ll see you there at 10:00 pm.”

“You and that small leather-bound book of yours… Love you, babe.”

● ● ●

Most on the vessel despised the captain. He had worked his way through all the men without any regard for us, content to satisfy his urges by buggering all crew members and the majority of the convicts on a regular basis. The majority of us walked away from his cabin in pain due to the considerable size of his endowment. As soon as I was able to leave the ship without being noticed, I did. I lost myself amidst the crowd milling around the wharf and made my way to the center of Sydney.

I had to distance myself from the monster before I gave in to my hatred. He deserved to die for what he did. He took away what was most precious to me as we left England. Those events would remain with me for the rest of my life, but it was time to start anew. Let us see what this new world has to offer.

 

“I’m certain it’s your best option, Sinclair,” said my father-in-law as he handed me fresh bread and a chunk of cheese. He had once again managed to visit me in jail. “It would give you a chance to start over.”

“I guess it won’t be any worse than my current situation.” Life in Britain was hard. Farmers replaced by machines moved to the cities, where they crowded into every available space. Many of them, and plenty of us city-born, could not find jobs―hunger was a constant companion. At the end of the day, we are another day older; that is all you can say about the life of the poor. People steal things to survive, I did, and that is why I am imprisoned once again.

“I can arrange for you to have a place as a hand on the Poseidon. It is one of the better ships making the voyage from Portsmouth to Port Jackson―the Captain’s an old acquaintance.” My father-in-law knows plenty of people in the city. He has protected and helped me regularly since his daughter died while giving birth to my son. “The prisons are full. Being a repeat offender, you’ll be transferred to a Hulk soon, and eventually wind up in one of the ships making the voyage anyway. Transported as a convict.”

With the jails at capacity, prisoners were kept in old, rotting prison ships called Hulks. These were usually old naval or merchant vessels unable to go to sea anymore but could still float safely in the harbour.

“But what about the lad? I shall not abandon him.”

“At fourteen, he’s old enough to be a cabin boy. My friend has agreed to take him on in that capacity.” I was thirty-two and had no future in England; my boy and I could start over half a world away. There, I could hope for a better life for the two of us.

“Please make it so, sir. I promise to work hard once we arrive in the new land, and I shall take care of your grandson to the best of my abilities.”

 

Sometimes, all our planning and all our efforts are for naught. The captain was approached by a wealthy merchant seeking a place for his young nephew. The rapscallion had tempted more than one man into sodomy and gathered a reputation that meant trouble for his relatives. On the ship, his cravings would be satisfied by the randy sailors; in London, the uproar would diminish. The social standing of the family would be preserved. When the lad was older and learned discretion, he could return to England.

They had already put out to sea when Sinclair discovered his son had been returned to the dock. His position was given to the errant nephew in exchange for a few coins. Sinclair Duncan was headed towards the Southern Hemisphere while his boy remained in England. As the tears flowed, he wondered if he would ever see his son again.

● ● ●

Wiping away the tears, Colton closed the small leather-bound book. He was very aware the end was near. This was to be the last year of his punishment, the last year of his exile, and the last loss. But he could not lose Tony. He would not lose Tony...

I hope you found this chapter enjoyable. Thank you for reading.
http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thankyou.gif
Copyright © 2014 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Aahh, Carlos you would be a bastard if you weren't such a good writer. You started with a boy losing his family and now we seeing a man losing his son - and not even knowing if the son got back to his grandfather in safety. But at least the son didn't fall into the hand of the captain.

I love Solcar's resolution to not lose Tony, but how will he manage? Or maybe Troy will be the one to lose when Solcar is picked up by his brother?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/22/2014 01:42 AM, Timothy M. said:
Aahh, Carlos you would be a bastard if you weren't such a good writer. You started with a boy losing his family and now we seeing a man losing his son - and not even knowing if the son got back to his grandfather in safety. But at least the son didn't fall into the hand of the captain.

I love Solcar's resolution to not lose Tony, but how will he manage? Or maybe Troy will be the one to lose when Solcar is picked up by his brother?

Hey Timmy

 

to quote Mann - "If I answered those questions it would be cheating!" :P

 

Just remember that where there's a will, there is a way. You'll have your answers in about 10 days or so.

 

Thanks for reading and ro the review, buddy!

 

C

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I must admit I am a little stymied by this one. I thought that Solcar's pain repeated every five tears...so if Sinclair was Solcar, how did he have a 14 year old son? I must have missed something. The beginning with him and Tony was a little stilted...is that because he was nervously setting up the beginnings of a plan to save Tony?There seemed to be a one -sided purpose behind that conversation. All I care about is that Solcar manages to beat his punishers at their own game,whether through diplomacy or trickery...I don't care. Being an activist doesn't warrant such punishment. not even for you, Carlos :P Cheers...Gary

 

Lightbulb moment: I realize now that he is being put into lives that already exist...am I right?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/22/2014 02:37 AM, Headstall said:
I must admit I am a little stymied by this one. I thought that Solcar's pain repeated every five tears...so if Sinclair was Solcar, how did he have a 14 year old son? I must have missed something. The beginning with him and Tony was a little stilted...is that because he was nervously setting up the beginnings of a plan to save Tony?There seemed to be a one -sided purpose behind that conversation. All I care about is that Solcar manages to beat his punishers at their own game,whether through diplomacy or trickery...I don't care. Being an activist doesn't warrant such punishment. not even for you, Carlos :P Cheers...Gary

 

Lightbulb moment: I realize now that he is being put into lives that already exist...am I right?

ROTFLMFAO!

 

Bells ring and lights flash all over! Give the man a cigar! You got it! He inhabits somebody for 5 years and after there's pain and loss he moves on to the next one and leaves them to deal with the aftermath.

 

You gonna hate me now, ain't ya?

 

And thanks for the stilted comment. Completely valid. I had the Sinclair portion written ahead of time and the wraparound was done this morning after the prompts were posted. I had an idea of what I wanted to happen but had not written a single word of it. Maybe I need to drink more coffee before tackling those pesky prompts.

 

Oh hell yeah! I'm ALWAYS on the side of the activists LOL

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I love that you vary the type of loss (lovers, brother, fathers), but I am not sure yet about your explanation. Does this mean Solcar's punishment is not only to suffer but make other people suffer?

JAR

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/22/2014 11:35 AM, JohnAR said:
I love that you vary the type of loss (lovers, brother, fathers), but I am not sure yet about your explanation. Does this mean Solcar's punishment is not only to suffer but make other people suffer?

JAR

About time you posted your story LOL....

 

Your question will answered soon. But we all now that collateral damage is often ignored by those in power. Not saying that's the case but you never know. Thanks for noticing the variety. I try to make sure there's a gay theme but I don't want to write the same story over and over just changing the place and the names.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I really hope that Solcar and Tony can stay together. I need to thank Gary for the lightbulb... I hadn't realized that he was inhabiting others' and living their lives for five years, either. :facepalm: I'm not the brightest bulb sometimes...lol Now I have that song from Les Mis stuck in my head. I suppose that's better than "Dominque", which was stuck in my head for like a week after binge-watching Season 2 of American Horror Story. LOL

I look forward to the next installment. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/25/2014 03:48 AM, Valkyrie said:
I really hope that Solcar and Tony can stay together. I need to thank Gary for the lightbulb... I hadn't realized that he was inhabiting others' and living their lives for five years, either. :facepalm: I'm not the brightest bulb sometimes...lol Now I have that song from Les Mis stuck in my head. I suppose that's better than "Dominque", which was stuck in my head for like a week after binge-watching Season 2 of American Horror Story. LOL

I look forward to the next installment. :)

LOL! You're the first one to catch the reference to Les Mis! Because of another story I'm reading the soundtrack has been playing around my place on and off for the past couple of months. Couldn't resist using that line since it seemed to fit right in. Are you and I going to have a song off? LOL

 

I kept dropping hints about a thousand lives in 5,000 years and taking over someone is the only way to accomplish that. I wonder if anyone else figured it out but didn't leave a comment.

 

You'll find little nuggets stuck in most of my stories....

10 down 2 to go. By the middle of next week it should all be a bit clearer. Not promising complete clarity though. :P

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 12/03/2014 03:01 AM, aditus said:
Oh no! Don't you dare! :evil:
:P

 

I've been surprised but pleased at how the readers leaving comments came to identify with the two guys. I mean, John begging for a HEA ending? If I can do that on a somewhat consistent basis I'll be a happy puppy.

 

Thanks adi!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..