Jump to content
    Carlos Hazday
  • Author
  • 5,267 Words
  • 13,582 Views
  • 42 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Spring - 3. Long Time Comin'

Friday, 3 April 2014

“Shit!” Chipper stared at the text message on his phone.

“You got that right,” CJ reached up to turn on the dome light. “Guess somebody’s getting shackled and drawn.”

“What’s going on?” There was a hint of concern in César’s voice.

CJ looked toward the front of the car before turning his eyes to his friend. “Chipper, you tell ‘em. I’ll reply to Brad and let him know we’ll call when we get home.”

“I guess CJ and I got the same message. Brad says his mom grounded Patrick, and he’s not allowed to come to Washington over spring break.”

“Why’d she ground him?” Harley sounded confused.

“I don’t know. He doesn’t―” Chipper’s reply was interrupted by a new chirp coming from CJ’s phone. “Was that from Brad?”

“He sent a K after I told him we’d call. Damn, that sucks. I was looking forward to spending time with them, even if we were in school that week. Not that it matters much right now, but I wish our vacations were at the same time.”

“Do you think Brad will come down by himself?” Thiago had remained quiet after leaving the restaurant. “Or is he grounded too?”

CJ shook his head while staring at Thiago. “Doesn’t sound like it. He just said Paddy was.”

“Paddy? Is that Patrick’s nickname?” It was obvious Harley was still utterly confused. “I didn’t know that.”

“He doesn’t like it. We found out about that in New York, so we never use it. His dad and his brother do. Just not in front of him anymore.” Chipper had turned in his seat and looked at Harley and CJ over the center console. “Ask Brad if he’s grounded too.”

“Could this be because of the suspension from a couple of months back?” Thiago was also looking at his friends in the back, his previous question remained unanswered but he didn’t seem to care.

“Maybe he had another run-in with his cousin,” suggested Harley, his tone at the end almost sounding like a question.

“It could be his grandfather getting him in trouble,” CJ's fingers tapped away at his phone. “The man’s nasty.”

“What… The… Fuck…” Brett’s words were loud and slightly slurred. “You guys are as bad as a bunch of girls.”

“What the hell are you talking about, Jarhead?” César took his eyes off the road momentarily to stare at his husband.

“Them!” Brett pointed over his shoulder with a thumb, bringing the chatter from the boys to a stop. “Bunch of gossips. They tell the guy they’ll call, but then they can’t wait to get their questions answered and start rattling off all sorts of wild ideas. Hmmm… I wonder if Tom knows?”

He reached for the phone he’d stuck in the cup holder while being helped into the SUV, but César stopped him by placing his hand over the marine’s. “And what are you doing now?”

“I was gonna call Tom. He’ll tell us what’s going on.”

“No, you’re not. You’re being as bad as you claim the kids are. But you sound like an old gossipy queen instead of a girl. We’ll find out what’s going on soon enough. And the way things go around here, it’ll probably be from CJ. You watch. He’ll know everything before Tom hears the first word of it.”

Muffled chuckles came from the back of the vehicle, and Brett moved his hand from the console, leaning back on the seat.

“Go to sleep, Papa. I know it’s past your bedtime. We’ll be home soon.” CJ’s suggestion earned him a one-finger salute from his drunk father and high fives from his friends.

 

Saturday, 5 April 2014

“Morning, Dad.” CJ leaned over to kiss César, patted the man on his back, and kept walking toward the refrigerator.

“Hey! I didn’t hear you coming down.” The man was leaning over, his elbows on the counter, the Washington Post spread in front of him. He looked at his son, his hand reaching for the steaming mug beside the newspaper. “The other guys still asleep?”

‘Yeah. That’s why I’m being quiet. I’ll wake them up when we’re ready for breakfast. Gotta have some coffee first.”

“So, what did ya find out?”

“About Patrick?” CJ poured himself a mug, took a sip, and shuffled over to sit next to his father. “He got grounded because he was suspended from school again. This is different than the other suspensions from the hockey team and school. Brad could come down to visit if he wanted to, but he says he’ll stay in Boston. Patrick didn’t want to talk to us. He wouldn’t come out of his room when Brad went to get him.”

“I’m guessing his mother dropped the hammer on him last night?”

“Yep. Brad told us he sent the text message as soon as it happened.”

“Does Tom know?”

“No, they’re calling him and letting him know today.” CJ reached under the financial page his father was staring at, and slid the other sections of the Post toward his seat, looking for the sports pages. “And before you ask, we didn’t say anything about the house next door.”

“Good. I’m not sure when Tom will want to tell them. He and JP are coming over for dinner tomorrow night. I also invited Rachel, the attorney I mentioned the other day, so they can meet her.”

“Who’s cooking?”

“I am. Why?”

“I’ll make dessert. I saw a recipe the other day I want to try.”

“You want to experiment on our guests?”

“Sure. I think they’ll survive. I haven’t screwed up anything badly in a long time.”

“What are you―”

“Good morning.” Thiago’s appearance made César stop mid-sentence and turn toward the stairs.

“Morning, buddy.” César’s warm greeting earned him a smile from the younger man. “Coffee’s on, want some?”

“I’d love a cup, sir.”

“How about a mug instead?” CJ abandoned the newspaper, moving toward the coffeemaker. “Dude, sit down, I’ll get it for you. Milk, right?”

“Yeah, just a little. Damn, wish I could spend the day with you guys. This going-to-work stuff’s really a pain sometimes.”

“What time do you have to go in?” César lowered his reading glasses while looking at the dark-skinned kid.

Thiago stood a couple of inches taller than CJ, with a leaner body usually disguised under baggy clothes. “I told him we could give him a ride after breakfast, Dad. If he doesn’t have to deal with buses, he can hang out longer.”

“Sure. Not a problem. Do you need to go home first, Thiago?”

“No, sir. I keep my uniform shirt at the store, so I can just go straight to Walgreens.”

“Do you like working there?”

“Yeah, especially when I spend time in the pharmacy. They let me―”

“I’m definitely shoving that thing up his ass.” César’s interruption made CJ laugh. Brett was ringing his bell once again.

“I’ll get him.” CJ was still chuckling as he moved toward the stairs.

César sighed and shook his head. “Sorry for interrupting, Thiago. My husband’s grown a bit too fond of ringing that stupid thing. As soon as they tell him he can put weight on his foot, I’m making it disappear. You were saying about working in the pharmacy?”

CJ missed hearing the rest of the conversation as he bound upstairs. “TIME TO GET UP!” he shouted as he momentarily stopped on the second floor. He was trying to get Chipper and Harley moving but was so loud the entire house had to have heard him. Taking hold of the banister, he propelled himself upwards again, headed for his fathers’ room on the top floor.

 

“Ford made the Ranchero between 1957 and 1979.” Danno walked around the car he was showing off. “This is a '69. Unlike a pickup truck, the Ranchero was adapted from a two-door station wagon, a car truck mixture. They used different platforms over the years and in 1969 it was the old Torino.”

“This is beautiful.” Harley ran a hand over the hood, not paying attention to the dull paint, scratches, and rust bubbles visible all over the car. “Does it have the V-8 engine?”

“Very good, Harley. I knew you were a gearhead, but I’m still impressed.” Danno led them to the doorway connecting Rogo’s with the large warehouse next to it which housed the man’s growing car collection, and his and Trip’s living space. “Have you done much wrenching on anything other than motorcycles?”

“A little. I’ve always spent summers at my grandparents’ place in Wisconsin. They live on a small farm, and Grandpa always let me help him when he was working on engines. The Harleys, his pickup, or any of the tractors.”

“Is this the car you guys went to look at in Richmond the day after my birthday party?” CJ headed to the front corner table where his dads sat with Trip.

“It’s the same model but a different car. That one had too many miles on it for the price they were asking.”

“What happens now with this one?” Chipper had not been around long enough to know what the big man’s process was when he acquired a new old vehicle. “Do you have a good mechanic?”

“Me!” Danno puffed out his chest and slapped his right pec. “We’ll do almost all the mechanical work right here. Once it’s back up to snuff, I’ll send it out for painting and upholstery. This one doesn’t have any dents. So we’ll sand those rust spots down and use fiberglass resin to fill in any spots. Then it’ll go out to be finished.”

“Who’s we?” Harley kept stealing glances at the menu while paying attention to the conversation. “Does Trip work with you on the cars?”

Danno’s loud laughter made patrons in the restaurant turn to look at him. “Nah. Take a look at his nails. You won’t find any grease under them. I’m going to hire someone to help me with this one. I thought I’d have more free time with Adriano being in charge of Rogo’s, but it ain’t happening. You interested in a part-time job, Harley?”

 

Sunday, 6 April 2014

“Morning, Dad.” CJ sounded sleepy as he walked toward the coffeemaker. “Watchu doin’?”

César was once again at the breakfast counter, the mug in front of him sending steamy tendrils into the air. “Hey! Good morning. I’m working on your tax return. I don’t want to have any of the staff at EY finding out more than necessary concerning our family finances, so I’ve always done mine and Brett’s.”

“Why do I need a tax return? I don’t think I’ve ever done one before. And don’t you and Papa fill one out together since you’re married?” CJ stood next to his dad, glancing at the laptop screen and the small stacks of papers spread around it.

“Park your ass.” César smiled at his son, patting the stool next to his. “You asked me about the large deposit we made to your bank account earlier this week. We haven’t had a chance to discuss it and now might be a good time.”

“Okay. Shoot.”

“Easy one first. Brett and I have always prepared separate returns. Even if we had been married before, federal law wouldn’t have recognized it, and we wouldn’t have been able to file jointly. When the Supreme Court ruled last year, that was the big deal behind their decision. The federal government was required to treat same-sex couples the same as different-sex ones. This will be the first time we do a joint tax return.”

“Got it. And mine?”

“What’s going on with you is a bit more complicated. I’ve set money aside for you for a long time. It was in separate accounts, but still under my name. See, I didn’t want your mother and stepfather to know there was a chunk of cash sitting around. I had no reason to suspect they would have done something, but I didn’t want them to realize Brett and I could afford to put so much away for you.”

“But they still know you guys are rich. I heard comments about it.”

“True. But unless they did some serious digging, they have no idea how wealthy Brett is. Anyway, once they relinquished parental rights, I started to shift things around and transferred all those accounts to a trust fund under your name.” César paused a moment, looked at CJ, and smirked. “I wonder if Colonel Dickhead realizes he doesn’t get to claim you as a dependent any longer. His tax refund may be smaller than he expects this year. Hell, he may have to cough up some cash on April fifteenth.”

“You guys haven’t told him?”

“Hey, not my job.” César raised his hands in a sign of surrender and smirked. “If the idiot’s not smart enough to figure it out…”

“Okay, so, back to that amount Papa mentioned was the annual limit for not paying gift taxes. I got the same last year too?”

“That and more. No need to bore you with the details, you’ll start seeing the statements from now on. The problem’s now all the income on the investments gets reported under your name and social security number, so you have to pay taxes on it.”

“Is that why Papa said I should spend the money in my bank account?”

“That what he said?” César glanced up from the computer screen and shook his head. “He can be such an ass. That money’s not for spending. We’re still going to pay for all your expenses, no matter how much you have in your account.”

“Papa said you wanted me to invest some of it.”

“I want you to invest all of it! I had the bank place it in your account to start this conversation, but we’ll be moving it to a brokerage account soon. You should be involved in the process though, so we’ll do it whenever you’re up to speed.”

“So, I have to learn how the stock market works?”

“Maybe not so much learn as understand. We do a lousy job of teaching finances and economics to our children. They grow up ignorant of how to handle money. Maybe that’s one reason so many people get in trouble with credit cards.”

“I don’t have one of those. I read the bank regulations. I can’t get in any kind of trouble. Even if my account has overdraft protection, there’s still a limit on how much I can spend with my debit card.”

“Hold that thought. Back to the financial education. If you’ve heard the term death tax used, and you know the truth, you’ll realize there’s no such thing. One reason estate taxes were instituted was as a way of preventing the creation of a wealthy aristocratic class. The colonists had enough of them and after independence, they wanted to avoid the mistakes of the past.”

“This isn’t going to be one quick conversation, is it?” CJ stood and stretched his arms toward the ceiling. “I think I need to finish waking up before we talk any more. You want a coffee refill?”

“Yeah.” César slid his mug over. “And no, this isn’t going to be quick. What I want to do is walk you through your return and show you what you’re paying taxes on and where the income came from. We can worry about the details of the investments once you have a good grasp on what you own.” As CJ poured coffee for both of them, his father reached for a previously opened envelope and slid it toward his son.

“What’s this?” CJ fingered the envelope giving his father a questioning look while picking it up.

“That’s your new American Express card. Brett and I realized the limitations of only having a debit card when your bank balance isn’t very large on a day-to-day basis. We ordered it when we agreed to let you travel to New York on your own. It might make life easier.”

CJ blew into the envelope’s open end, pulled out the piece of paper inside, and stared at the card stuck to the tri-fold with his name printed on it. “Hey, I thought American Express cards were green or gold. How come this one’s black?”

 

CJ was peeling and coring apples for the dessert, while his dads, Tom, and JP sat in the living area having a cocktail. Dinner wasn’t for another hour or so, but César had everything ready to go, so he’d relinquished his place in the kitchen. CJ wanted to get the crisp in the oven so he could join the conversation but was paying attention to what was said across the large open area. He had a bottle of dark rum―one of the ingredients―on the counter, and after splashing a generous amount over the cut fruit in the bowl, took a surreptitious sip for himself.

“So you didn’t find out until yesterday?” Brett’s gaze shifted between Tom and JP. “Thanks to CJ, we heard about it on Friday night.”

“Hey! Don’t blame me.” CJ wiped the small dribble running down his chin with the back of his hand trying to hide the evidence of his rum shot. “Brad texted me. How was I supposed to know they hadn’t told Uncle Tom yet?”

César turned to look at his son. “I call bullshit. Playing innocent doesn’t work for you, buddy. I’m sure there wasn’t a doubt in your mind you and Chipper were the first ones to find out.”

“Chipper knew about it on Friday too?” JP may have sounded surprised but he was smirking nonetheless.

“Harley and Thiago did too.” Brett seemed to enjoy throwing the other guys under the bus. “We were all riding together in the Caddy.”

“But they didn’t get a text. Only Chipper and I did. And how the heck do you remember anything, Papa? You were drunk.”

César turned again, looking at his son over the back of the couch. “How about you concentrate on what you’re doing, finish it up, and stop shouting? When you get done, come join us if you’re so interested in what we’re talking about.” With a grin on his face, the man turned back to Tom. “So what are you going to do?”

“I’m taking a couple of days off and flying to Boston. I spoke to the kids’ mother yesterday after Patrick called me. Hilary thought it would be a good idea for me to head up there. She said I can spend as much time as I want visiting with the boys over their vacation.”

“That’s nice of her.” Brett took a sip from his cocktail before finishing his thought. “Are you planning on getting in touch with any family members while you’re up there?”

“Hell, no! All I need is my father getting involved in this shit.” Tom ran his hands over his almost non-existent hair, a worried expression on his face. “What’s got me even more scared is she said she wants to talk to me alone while I’m in Boston. I need another beer. Anyone else?”

“I’ll get it for you, Uncle Tom. I’m done here anyway. Anybody else want something?”

“You’re done when you clean everything up.” It wasn’t the first time César admonished his son about cleaning up after himself while cooking. “In the meantime, bring over the open bottle of wine that’s in the refrigerator. JP and I can use a refill. And bring Papa a beer too.”

 

“CJ, you have to share the recipe for this. It’s fantastic.” Rachel Stout, César’s real estate attorney friend, had an easy smile she was quick to share. Somewhere in her early to mid-thirties, she had short hair and wore minimal makeup―typical lesbian, CJ thought. She’d donned thick-framed black glasses at one point, to read something JP handed her; they failed to hide her sparkling eyes. The boy thought she was pretty, but she was a female and failed to elicit any sort of sexual interest in him.

“Sure. It’s real easy to make. I’ll print it out before you leave. Pears, apples, sugar, cinnamon, and rum is all you need. Oh, and butter, a little flour, and rolled oats for the crust.”

“Hope mine turns out this good. I’m not all that in the kitchen. So, guys”she looked at Tom and JP“I’ll prepare an engagement letter tomorrow morning, and send it to you for signature. I’ll start the paperwork on the title search and check up on the appraiser and inspector names the realtor gave you. That was pretty nice of him, considering he’s not representing the sale.”

“Well, he did handle the property we just sold.” JP smacked his lips after taking another bite of the dessert CJ had prepared. “And he’s become a friend. He’s sort of dating one of our close buddies. This is good, CJ.”

“Damn gay mafia. I’m surprised you’re allowing a girl in your midst.”

“We gotta have a token.” Brett’s comment made them all chuckle.

“Forgive my husband. I often wonder if he and our sixteen-year-old son switched brains. CJ’s so much more mature.”

“Jerk,” replied Brett. “But now that you’re in, Rachel, we’ll have some more work for you. We’re doing a major remodeling job in the basement this summer and would like you to take a look at the contract before we sign it. Plus, we’re looking at a piece of property we might be interested in buying and developing. We’ll need help with it too if we decide to proceed.”

“What piece of property?” CJ sounded miffed. “This is another one of those things you guys are holding back from me, ain’t it?”

 

Monday, 7 April 2014

“Is that another of your dads’ shirts?” Harley pointed at the t-shirt CJ wore underneath his open sweatshirt―a black Daytona Harley-Davidson one with a flame-winged skull and Biketoberfest 2011 on it.

“Yeah!” CJ spread his hoodie apart and looked down at the graphic on the shirt. “Not sure which one of them it belongs to. They keep all of theirs together in the same section of the closet. I just go up there now and then and steal a couple each time.”

“As soon as you and I are old enough―and you get your own Harley―we’re gonna have to go to Daytona. Either in March for Bike Week or in the fall for Biketoberfest. I can’t wait until I can bring mine from Wisconsin. I’m hoping my dad will let me after this summer. Can you imagine how much fun we’ll have at the rallies when we go to them? Hey, are you doing Rolling Thunder again this year? I was thinking―”

Harley was off on one of his soliloquies again and CJ had to smile. “Sorry to cut out on you bud. I gotta get home so I can take Papa to his doctor's appointment. I’ll Kik ya tonight.”

For the second week in a row, CJ sought and received permission to miss his two afternoon classes. He left Walls, headed home, and after eating lunch with Brett, drove his father to the doctor’s office. The physician removed the staples holding the skin together after the marine’s surgery and gave clearance for putting pressure on the injured ankle. Brett was allowed to walk, albeit with the help of crutches. He could dispense with the bandages since the incisions were almost entirely healed, but was required to continue wearing the soft cast protecting the repaired fracture.

“I’m in a good mood.” Brett smiled like he hadn’t in a while, carefully climbing into Defiant’s front seat. “Damn, it feels good to sorta walk again. Let’s go out for ice cream.”

CJ laughed as he ran over to the driver’s side and opened the door. “Dad’s right. You’re such a kid, Papa. But I’m up for some ice cream. Where do you wanna go?”

“Oh, I don’t know… How about somewhere far away? In Maryland or Virginia. I don’t have a lot to do right now, let’s get you an hour or two of driving practice.”

“Really? Oh man, that’s awesome! I’ll even pay for the ice cream!”

“Smartass! Start the engine already. We can use the time to talk about something César and I would like your help with.”

“What’s that?”

“It has to do with the family foundation.”

“Okay…”

“History first. My great-grandfather started the Davenport Family Foundation in the nineteen-forties as the family wealth ballooned. My grandfather took over the reins in the sixties, along with his sister. When she died, one of her daughters stepped into her shoes on the board, but grandpa was the driving force behind it.”

“So you have cousins? I thought you’d told me you had no family left.”

“There’s a couple of them. Back to the foundation. Grandpa’s favorite line used to be ‘What have you done today to make the world a better place?’” Brett closed his eyes for a moment and sighed. “I miss that man. Anyway, his niece resigned from the board and her kids weren’t interested in spending time on something which didn’t make them money. She was replaced by a family friend until I took over and eventually brought your father on board. Along with a new attorney who handled legal affairs and took a seat on the board.”

“Her kids were never interested?”

“Not until last year. And that’s when César and I decided to remake the board and move all operations here to Washington. One of them started making noise about it being a Davenport family thing and why was I adding Abelló to the foundation’s name. We had him checked out, discovered some things about his finances, and got scared. I had a bad feeling about this guy.”

“Like what?”

“Bad credit. Back taxes. A couple of instances of alleged embezzlement. He never went to jail, but I was concerned he would try to siphon off money for his own purposes. So we decided to change the board and get more actively involved.”

“Okay. That makes sense. You hire new people for the board and make sure this guy can’t get involved.” CJ kept his eyes on the road as they drove further into the Virginia countryside.

“We don’t hire board members, kiddo. They’re volunteers. We cover any expenses they may have, but they don’t get paid a salary. We may have to revisit the issue at some point since the new board will be more involved. In the past, we just discussed the organization we were thinking of supporting and then wrote a check.”

“So, who’re you guys going to appoint then?”

“So far Martha Edwards and Prescott Harding have been offered seats. We want one more. Preferably a woman. You'd get a seat but you have to be eighteen to do it. Get ready for it in two years.”

“And what do you want me to do now?”

“You have to realize your dad and I are thinking way ahead. To when one day you take over. We’d like you to convince Thiago and Chipper to sit on an advisory board.”

“Sure, I’ll talk to them. But why?”

“Our grants will be directed primarily to organizations supporting the gay and military communities. Plus education. We want to continue our annual gifts to Florida and Berkley. But we’d like the next generation to recommend other possible beneficiaries.”

“You know I’m going to push for anything that helps fight bullying. Chipper and Thiago will follow along with me.”

“Don’t worry, Ben Cohen’s organization will continue to receive donations for the foreseeable future. What we’d like to hear is what else you and your friends find compelling enough you’d be interested in supporting. We can discuss how much each one gets after we agree on the beneficiaries.”

“I’ll talk to them tomorrow and see if they’re interested. Remember, Chipper and I will be in New York most of next week. If you want to talk to us together it’s gotta be in the next couple of days.”

“Nah, it can wait. We’ll have them come over after you guys return.”

 

Tuesday, 8 April 2014

“Is he spending the night? CJ and Chipper stood waiting for their bus outside Walls.

“I don’t know. Doc said he’d leave money on the kitchen counter for me so I could order pizza. All I know is he’s taking Dash out for a nice dinner to celebrate his thirty-third birthday.”

“Fuck that! I already texted Papa to let him know you were coming home with me and staying for dinner.”

“That’s right, he’s home. I keep forgetting he’ll be out of work for a while. Hey, maybe we can talk about what he wants with this foundation thing you mentioned. There’s the bus.”

The twenty-minute ride from the Foggy Bottom area to Georgetown was spent mostly in silence, both boys busy on their phones. As their stop on M Street approached, they rose and stood by the door, ready to jump off. Once on the sidewalk, they headed to the corner of Wisconsin Avenue, where they waited for the light to cross in front of the PNC Bank branch there.

“It’s so weird to think my dad used to work here.”

“Yeah, the bank was the first place the dads took me to when I moved up here last year. And then we met Doc for lunch. Funny how shit happened between them so soon afterward.”

“Must have been weird for you.”

“It was! I mean, I’d met them both before but I had no idea what was going on with their relationship. All I knew was Dad and Papa were like an old married couple. They’d been together for ages, and I’d never heard them argue. I figured all their friends were the same way. Turned out your father and Doc were broken up right after, and by the end of the year so were Dragon and King.”

“Think about it, CJ. It’s not that strange. I know about fifty percent of marriages in the US end up in divorce, so two break-ups out of four couples is average.”

“I know, I know. I talked about this with Dragon the other day. But I was young and naïve back then. I thought all the uncles would be together forever and ever.”

“Dude, your dads ain’t normal. Think about it. They’ve been together since the night they met. And based on how I see them act with each other, I’m pretty sure neither one has ever cheated on the other one. Even Uncle Tom’s been divorced. And you, lucky fuck, you walked right into their perfect life and settled right in.”

“Yeah, but it hasn’t been perfect. You know I’ve had a couple of disagreements with them. Including the big blow-up after my trip to Chicago.”

“Right. And like you didn’t win that one? Cap blows up because you got laid. And then he has no problem with you and Owen fucking all over Australia. Sounds phat to me.”

“Screw you, asshole. We didn’t fuck all over Australia.”

“Yeah, my bad. You only fucked in Sydney, I know. But I bet by the time you’re old men, the two of you will have fucked all over that country and a few more.”

“What are you talking about?” CJ stopped walking and stared at Chipper in disbelief.

“I’m talking about the fact you and Owen will end up together. I see the way you smile whenever we talk about him and you don’t think anyone’s paying attention. It’s gonna happen. Even if it’s a long time comin’.”

Whether you're reading this chapter right after it's published or after time has elapsed, your likes and comments are welcome!
C. A. Hazday
  • Like 81
  • Love 22
  • Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



On 04/15/2016 10:16 PM, spikey582 said:

I liked that little "stinger" there at then end of the chapter. Is that the right word? You do a good job of frequently referring back to unresolved plot points to keep them fresh in our minds. The Owen situation is interesting cause we don't really have much of an idea how much they're even talking anymore. Reading the day in day out routine, and since Owen is on the other side of the world it can be easy to forget about him. Do they still talk regularly or is CJ's attempts at keeping distance limiting their communication?

 

Besides that, there is a ton of setup going on in this chapter, and with the way you add characters I wonder if every offhand reference to anyone is setup for a potential future plot. For instance, Brett's cousin (who sounds like a wonderful human being by the way), will we be seeing him jump in to try to get some money out of the Foundation at some point? Or is that just a settled matter to explain the dads increased involvement in the Foundation? I'm always on my toes with this story.

 

I will say, after that little cliffhanger, that must be at least a somewhat important plot point about Patrick. My thought is that the boy isn't long for Boston after this. Things just really don't seem to be going well for him up there, and perhaps a change of scenery away from all of his father's nightmarish relations might be a good thing. Perhaps in a newly acquired house in Georgetown for instance? Or perhaps I'm way off?

 

I'll leave it for you to surprise me Carlos.

Have I told you I love your reviews and comments in the discussion thread. You seem to grasp significant details even when all I provide is a whisper of a comment.

 

Unfortunately, I can't discuss most of what you bring up since it would give away what's coming very easily.

 

I've been binge watching 5 seasons of Game of Thrones this week (the reason I've not been around a lot) and the show reminds me of my own story because of all the damn characters and abundant number of plots.

 

I'm trying to wrap a few which have been building from the start during Spring, you'll get answers starting the next chapter.

 

As for the number of characters, I'm actually trying to keep them under control. I went overboard in Summer and Autumn but I've been trying to introduce new ones only when absolutely necessary these days. I think I may have named all the main ones already. Even if some have not had a large impact on the story yet.

 

Thanks, Spikey!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

At first, I wasn't too happy with Patrick's resultant punishment due to his suspension - as evidenced by my comments in the forum. However, having had a few reflective moments since then, I see that it was a necessary outcome to ensure that future story line dictated "dominos" fall into a logical and realistic pattern. I'm looking for a particular pattern so I will be watching carefully as the dominos fall.
I hadn't really thought much about the ne'er do well relative of Brett's but has spikey hit upon something in his theorizing? I could see him trying to causing trouble...foolish man.
I have to admit, I had forgotten about Owen somewhat. Something else to ponder.
Excellent chapter Carlos! :thumbup:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 04/16/2016 01:59 AM, Reader1810 said:

At first, I wasn't too happy with Patrick's resultant punishment due to his suspension - as evidenced by my comments in the forum. However, having had a few reflective moments since then, I see that it was a necessary outcome to ensure that future story line dictated "dominos" fall into a logical and realistic pattern. I'm looking for a particular pattern so I will be watching carefully as the dominos fall.

I hadn't really thought much about the ne'er do well relative of Brett's but has spikey hit upon something in his theorizing? I could see him trying to causing trouble...foolish man.

I have to admit, I had forgotten about Owen somewhat. Something else to ponder.

Excellent chapter Carlos! :thumbup:

Did you know there’s a little park in Miami, on Calle Ocho in the heart of Little Havana, called Domino Park. A few thatched small pavilions with tables for playing dominos, always full of Cuban men smoking cigars. Kind of appropriate you bring falling dominos. Those have been there from the start and you’re entirely right about each needing to fall in order.

 

You forgot about Owen? Def may get angry with you when she reads that! :P

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 04/16/2016 02:24 AM, Defiance19 said:

There's so much to get to in this chapter.

Harley gets a job with Danno I think that's brilliant.

It seems unfair to punish Tom by not sending Patrick down from Boston. I guess it's good that she asked him to come up but it Irked me that she used that as punishment. Patrick's defending his father smarter to spend time with him and they talk about it no? If she wanted to be harsh missing a game or two, taking his privileges away works. Maybe Paddy would be better off in DC. He'd have CJ to help him deal. But that would mean he left Bradley. Wishful thinking on my part I guess. Can you tell this bothered me? I think I like little Paddy..

 

I get the reasoning but I find it interesting that Brett asked for Thiago and Chipper be considered as part of the advisory board. There's so much time yet and I guess this means the posse is solid and not going anywhere. You know that means You will be writing CJs story for a hell of a long time. Hehe.

Always, when there's tons of money involved people will remember that they are family. Didn't do a damn thing to help but when they feel like they're going to miss out on a cut they show up with all sorts demands and expectations. I see problems coming.

 

So, remember when I said Owen and CJ will drive off into the sunset in Defiant? Now I'll deal with what comes in between and just wait..... Thanks Chipper.

By the way. I'm missing the dad's bedtime recap routine.

I got worked up way to early in the day but it was a great chapter. Thanks Carlos...

:rofl: You did it again, Def.

 

Why is it I'm not surprised you'd find comfort in the words of a fellow New Yorker?

 

You're not alone disliking Patrick being grounded, can't wait to see the reactions if I have one of the kids spanked by their parents. You damn bleeding hearts! :)

 

Brett and Cesar have both spoken highly of Chipper and Thiago before, I'm sure that admiration had something to do with the invitation to get involved with the foundation.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 04/16/2016 04:50 AM, WildcatLes said:

Thanks Carlos for another interesting chapter.

This chapter does not have the usual amount of drama, but you introduce some new shifts in situations to make things interesting.

It is great to watch CJ mature and develop a wider circle of friends. The addition of new characters helps to keep things refreshing.

Thanks, Les. It's a balancing act trying to maintain a good rhythm so some chapters end up being a tad slower. This one had a lot of 'technical' stuff about money and the foundation I tried to make interesting even if it was a dry subject. But it's all important to what comes nex :D

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Obviously, lots of setups here for future plot developments. One point kinda sticks with me, though--the Dads have already started the financial education (a wise move), but they're also planning CJ's future with the foundation and giving him an American Express. While their trust has been justified so far, is it safe to assume they're also gonna monitor his spending? And although they're heavily involved in the foundation, did they take it too far by assuming CJ will become involved and eventually take over, rather than asking how CJ felt about it and giving him a choice? I've no doubt of CJ's answer, but at the same time, asking feels like something they'd have done. Or am I mis-reading the situation?
Regardless, I'm loving the story, and it's delivered in your usual efficient writing style, with realistic dialogue between the characters--and I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with some of the plot openings you put in.
Good job, buddy!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 04/16/2016 07:03 AM, pvtguy said:

I, too, am intrigued by Tom's visit to Boston. Perhaps his ex might see that the boys need some serious father time and allow them to move to D. C. It sets up a good confrontation with her family.

 

I like the way you are doing financial education, too. Responsibility and altruistic values combine to provide service to those needing assistance.

 

You're doing a great job. I'm looking forward to many more chapters!

 

Tony

Thanks, Tony.

 

There's obviously a lot of stuff happening 'off-camera' I don't relate, but the idea of a teen having money thrown at him without teaching him how to manage it seems absurd. I've associated with a few spoiled rich kids and their lack of common sense has surprised me.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 04/16/2016 07:51 AM, avidreadr said:

Lots of good development in this chapter. I personally think Tom's ex should give some thought to getting out of Boston to keep her kids away from the bigotry. Maybe that's why she asked Tom to come up to Boston.

Harley working with Danno on cars? The kid's going to go nuts.

 

I like Chipper's observation at the end that Owen and CJ will eventually wind up together, but maybe not immediately. It is what I see happening. CJ is mature, but he's also smart enough to know, and has mentioned several times, that he's not ready to go steady with anyone.

 

One of my favorite stories and I always look forward eagerly to reading new chapters. Thank you.

Thanks for the kind comments!

 

Once agsin, I find myself unable to discuss some things for fear of letting details slip out. You bring up 3 different plots: one will be resolved within a handful of chapters, one will get somewhat clarified at the same time, and the final one will just have to wait for quite a while. But I'll try to advance it a bit sometime soon.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 04/16/2016 12:45 PM, skinnydragon said:

A subtly great chapter Carlos!

I say 'subtly' because while, on the surface, we have the usual daily problems and further development of stuff we sort of knew about, you have set up some powerful drama yet to come.

 

The Patrick affair is one of those, I believe.

CJ's wealth, of which we were aware, has suddenly become an instrument.

What could possibly be important about Thiago and the pharmacy?

The new 'piece of property' they might buy.

The advisory board.

 

Just a few of the pieces you hint at.

At least you have resolved a few things.

Harley gets a job (probably), Brett finally becoming mobile and Chipper's prescience :)

 

All told, a solid and power-packed chapter disguising itself as daily hum-drum!

Thanks for this, Carlos!

Thank you, Dragon! (btw, that was good advice you gave CJ, even if Def cringed it was you doing so LOL)

 

Believe it or not, four of the five items you list are all related and tightly wound together. It'll take a while to resolve them all but before the end of Spring you'll see where we're headed.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 04/16/2016 02:32 PM, LadyDe said:

Too keep from repeating what everyone else has said, I'll just say 'Ditto' :2thumbs: I really agree with the need for financial education in this country. It's so easy to fall into debt and damn near impossible to get out of it. (don't rant, don't rant). With all the plot points and set ups in this chapter, I'm anticipating this story is going to be rather long. It's like you decided to give us an outline of what you have planned. Was this a test to see if we're paying attention?? :lol:

AND you're going to let Harley work on classic cars?!! Well, it was nice knowing him, cause he's going to be in 7th heaven and forget about his boys. :lmao:

LOL

 

Feel free to rant, after all that's what I was doing too!

 

My placement of hints within throwaway scenes and dialogue lines has been noted before. You MIGHT be right about there being a few of those in this chapter. Some will get wrapped up soon, I've tried to steer the story in certain directions which will become apparent in the next few chapters.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/16/2016 09:39 PM, Robert Rex said:

Obviously, lots of setups here for future plot developments. One point kinda sticks with me, though--the Dads have already started the financial education (a wise move), but they're also planning CJ's future with the foundation and giving him an American Express. While their trust has been justified so far, is it safe to assume they're also gonna monitor his spending? And although they're heavily involved in the foundation, did they take it too far by assuming CJ will become involved and eventually take over, rather than asking how CJ felt about it and giving him a choice? I've no doubt of CJ's answer, but at the same time, asking feels like something they'd have done. Or am I mis-reading the situation?

Regardless, I'm loving the story, and it's delivered in your usual efficient writing style, with realistic dialogue between the characters--and I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with some of the plot openings you put in.

Good job, buddy!

Great point, Rex.

 

The dads are assuming CJ will once day control the family wealth and the foundation, he is after all their sole heir. With the dads in their thirties, that won't happpen for a long time, educating CJ however, is important if he's going to do so. I think they may be showing him the way instead of forcing him to travel any particular road. The kid's learned a lot from them already and I think the exchsnge of knowledge will continue for a long time.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

This chapter is like a frozen lake...not much happening on top but underneath is a different story. Sorry I'm late...

 

Nice work C!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 04/23/2016 10:54 PM, Mikiesboy said:

This chapter is like a frozen lake...not much happening on top but underneath is a different story. Sorry I'm late...

 

Nice work C!

Stop apologizing! The fact you take the time to read and leave a comment is more than good enough, it's awesome.

 

I think most readers realize I rarely drop things on them out of the blue. You're right, this chapter had a lot going on, some of which won't develop entirely for a bit.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Thanks Carlos!

 

Everyone has already analyzed the subtleties s enough, so just two comments:

 

"I was young and naive back then", says the sage not yet seventeen year old CJ. LMAO

 

What's with everyone trying to make some "happily ever after" shit with CJ and Owen? Now even motorhead is in on the game; good thing he'll be working soon ;) .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/21/2016 10:38 AM, said:

Thanks Carlos!

 

Everyone has already analyzed the subtleties s enough, so just two comments:

 

"I was young and naive back then", says the sage not yet seventeen year old CJ. LMAO

 

What's with everyone trying to make some "happily ever after" shit with CJ and Owen? Now even motorhead is in on the game; good thing he'll be working soon ;) .

Hasn't every teen thought they know it all at some point in time? Only to later realize they didn't? I'm certain that in time, CJ will change his tune!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Another great chapter, I'm glad that Brett made a somewhat full recovery after the helicopter crash. I know he's still got a ways to go before he can say he made a full recovery. I'm liking the idea of making an advisory board so the boys could be involved in the family Foundation. I can't wait to read about CJ going back to new York. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..