Jump to content
    Caz Pedroso
  • Author
  • 1,707 Words
  • 5,261 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Help! My Lover's an Alien - 1. Chapter 1

Lor looked up from writing his latest report as Piet approached; the engineer was grinning and Lor just knew his patience was about to be tested.

“There you go,” Piet said, as he handed over Lor’s personal comm unit.

Lor strapped it on his wrist while Piet made himself comfortable sitting on the edge of the station Lor was using.

“So what did it do— or not do— this time that made you decide to fry it?” Piet asked, pretending rather pathetically to look at his comm unit, as though it was just a throwaway question.

Lor gritted his teeth. It was the second time he had had to get Piet to repair his comm unit in the last 128 cycles. He didn’t want Piet to know that his magic was slipping out of his control. He was a master level mage, the highest level of their people, and the youngest to ever reach said level. He couldn’t let it get out that he was a possible danger to anyone, including himself.

The comm unit had just been the latest casualty since they started this mission. The first had been a light that sat beside his bed, then a pair of his favorite pants that he happened to be holding during a flare up— it got turned into a skirt— and lastly he had managed to dye his own hair green. It was lucky for him that all this happened in his room, and he looked in the mirror before he went out. Add to that the two times he had fried his comm unit, and he was starting to get very worried. The only person he told anything to was Minister Mora; as his superior, the other being had to be aware of what was happening with his crew.

He sneered at Piet and adopted his trademark cold mask. “What my comm did, or did not do, is none of your business. If you could remove yourself from my station, I need to finish this report before the final mission briefing.”

Piet jumped down and hurried off; people always did when Lor used that voice. Piet was probably worried he would be next instead of the comm unit.

Lor shook his head and returned to his report. Once he was sure he was unobserved, he removed his comm unit and secured it with a strand of magic twisted in the fabric just under his waistband, making sure it didn’t touch his skin. He hoped that would protect it if his magic flared up again and that no one would notice.

He was just finishing his report when the call went out ship-wide that all crew were to report for a briefing.

Sighing, he closed the program he was using and strapped his comm unit back on his wrist as he headed out the door.

****

There were seven of them, including Lor, sitting round a long table. Minister Mora sat at the head with his mate, Ziel, at his left and Lor at his right. Also on Lor’s side of the table was Piet— who was trying to keep his distance. On the other side were the twins, Dyra and Dyla, with their mate, Ver, sitting between them.

Mora stood to take his place by the screen on the wall. “Right, let’s start with a ship’s report. Piet, how are the engines holding up?”

Piet looked down at his data pad. “Engines are fine, and we are good with keeping this speed up until we enter Earth’s airspace.”

Mora nodded his thanks and looked at the twins. “Dyra, how long until we reach Earth’s airspace, and Dyla, are the comm systems ready?”

One twin nodded. “Yes, the comm system is fully operational, and we are only waiting to get into comm range. Dyra?” She looked at her twin.

“We will be in comm range in two cycles and will be in Earth’s airspace in four cycles.”

Mora nodded his thanks again before turning to the last person. “Ver, are the weapons fully functioning but ready to go off-line? We don’t want any mistakes to lead to any misunderstandings.”

Ver nodded. “Yes, sir, everything is ready and fully functioning. I have coded the weapons to turn on and off at a voice command by yourself, Second Lor, or myself.”

“That’s good then,” Mora stated. “And of course Ziel.” Mora smiled at his mate. “How are the kitchens holding up? Will the food we have stored last until we are ready to leave for home?”

“The food will be fine. Of course, it will only last if we keep Ver out of the storage cabinet.”

Everyone but Lor laughed as Ver blushed.

“So, as everything is taken care of, now onto this mission. As you all know, we are being sent because the Earth made contact with us via a space probe ten rotations ago. We managed to make contact via the probe, and over five rotations, we learned a lot about them as a species. Then, four rotations were spent organizing this mission.

“Earth is run by one central government and policed by the military who answer to said government. The president is the head of the government, but all decisions are made by a majority vote. As it’s all in the briefing pack, I won’t go into any more detail.

“Now to go over a few things. Please remember that two rotations are the equivalent to one Earth-year, and four cycles equals one and a half Earth-hours. So for example, Lor, how old are you?”

“I am sixty rotations, sir,” Lor replied.

“That means Lor is thirty Earth-years old, which is considered young even by their standards.

“Now you were all sent a file with what we have learned about humans. It included their military, a bit of anatomy, and some basics on languages. Titles are important; we will be meeting with Ambassador Marston and his wife, Mrs. Eve Marston, who have been sent as representatives of the president. They are going to host us for a welcoming meal at one of their military buildings where we will be staying, and then we will be given a brief tour.

“Have you all been given the spell for translation?” Everyone nodded. “Good, keep it activated at all times. Lor, you’re still okay casting it for Ziel?” Lor nodded. “Right, the last thing is to remind you all that we are guests of the humans. Please, as far as possible, respect their customs, please watch what you say and do, and please do not start any trouble. I do not want to be telling your families why I have had to leave you behind in a human prison.”

Warning! Approaching Earth’s airspace!” came the voice of the computer, echoing though the room.

“Okay, stations everyone,” Mora called, and they all filed out of the room.

****

Lor watched as the Earth grew bigger on his private view screen. He could feel his magic trying to come to the surface. It was as though something was calling to it, and whatever it was, was on Earth.

Sighing, he turned his attention back to his room. They had each been given a small amount of time to change into their guard uniforms. Earth was a lot cooler than their home planet so their uniform consisted of a long-sleeved top, thick pants, and a cloak with a detachable hood. He had donned his cloak and was just settling his hood when his comm unit went off.

“Lor, report to the minister,” came Piet’s voice.

“Received,” Lor said, before checking his hood again and heading out of the room.

****

“Minister,” Lor said as he approached Mora.

“Ah Lor, I wanted to ask you a personal favor before we arrive on Earth. I want you to stay with Ziel at any time he is not by my side.”

“Of course, Minister. I’m sure Ziel will want to stay with you most of the time though.”

“I may have to attend meetings where Ziel cannot accompany me. I will expect him to stay with you.”

“Yes, Minister,” Lor said and took his seat just as the computer warned they were now approaching the landing site.

****

As they disembarked the ship, they moved into a sort of formation. Mora and Lor were at the front with Ziel in the middle of them, the twins Dyra and Dyla came next, and Piet and Ver brought up the rear.

They were met by a short male and an even smaller female. The couple were followed by a younger male; all of them were smiling and looked welcoming.

“Welcome,” the lead male said once he was near enough to be heard. “I’m Ambassador Victor Marston, but please call me Victor. This is my wife, Evelyn, and my son, Vance. I hope your stay on Earth will be all you expect and that we will have the chance to get to know each other. We have asked the military guest suites where you will be staying to prepare a meal. Do you wish to go there now? I was hoping to give you a tour of the military building after you’re refreshed.”

Mora nodded and shook the hand of the ambassador. “I am Minister Mora and this is my mate, Ziel. Next to him is my second-in-command and head guard, Lor. Behind us are Dyra and Dyla, and behind them are Piet and Ver.

“We would be honored to share a meal with you and your family.”

The ambassador seemed relieved and led the way out of the landing area and toward a large glass building. After passing through the security checks, they were led out and got their first proper view of the compound that would be their home for the next two Earth-months.

A road stretched out in front of them and to the left and right were two large buildings. The ambassador and his family led the way past the one on the left and to a smaller building connected to it.

“This is the guest building,” the ambassador said. “It should have everything you need from the specifications you sent us; however, if we have missed anything, please let me know.”

Copyright © 2015 Caz Pedroso; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 08/11/2015 05:12 AM, LitLover said:

Really good first chapter Caz. I like the premise. I can't wait to see where you take this :)

I am so glad you like it. This is my first time writing Sci-Fi but the prompt called to me.

 

The story is set to post every day, so you won't have long to wait. ;)

 

Hope you enjoy the rest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great job on a first chapter, Caz. I am intrigued. Nicely written, and I'm looking forward to more... cheers... Gary

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/12/2015 03:50 PM, Headstall said:

Great job on a first chapter, Caz. I am intrigued. Nicely written, and I'm looking forward to more... cheers... Gary

Thank you, this comment means a lot. Hope you think the rest is the same. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

interesting start :yes: , I'm looking forward to meeting Dillon and see what's in store for them :) .....a nice introduction to Lor as well ....a nice chapter overall Caz :hug:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/05/2015 09:50 AM, Victor Gutte said:

interesting start :yes: , I'm looking forward to meeting Dillon and see what's in store for them :) .....a nice introduction to Lor as well ....a nice chapter overall Caz :hug:

Thanks I am so glad you liked it.

 

:hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/4/2020 at 1:34 AM, Normischell said:

I think this is the 6th or 7th time I have read this. It’s one of my favs. 

Thank you. I had a lot of fun writing it. 

Thanks for reading and commenting :hug: 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..