Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 694 Words
  • 2,021 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Coquina Hotel - 10. Chapter 10

I would watch from the garden behind the hotel as Jon, and the boys cleared the beach of rubble and driftwood. They started to layout the area for the cabanas. I wondered about a pool.

Over the next few weeks, I watched as the beach to the right of the cave began to take shape. They built a boardwalk from the cave to the area where the cabanas were being erected. Then I saw several of the boys digging out the sand in front of the cabanas. When I asked Jon, he said they were building a saltwater pool.

“Jon, where did you get the idea of building the cabanas and saltwater pool?”

“In one of your magazines, there was an advertisement for a resort. They had a picture of chairs and cabanas around a pool. We could do that here as an added attraction.”

Smiling, I kissed him. I watched as the pool became a reality. But Jon wasn’t finished, he had his chairs and beach umbrellas, but he also had a fountain in the form of a fish blowing water into the air in the middle of his pool. His pool had a unique feature. When the tide came in, it filled the pool to a predetermine high watermark, and when the tide when out, the pool drained back to its original height. I thought that was quite clever. What surprised me was the number of local people who came to see his beach resort. I did have a sign stating, Jon’s Beach, posted at the entrance to the road leading to the beach.

I’m finding that Jon is more than just a good-looking man. He’s got a brain and is committed to the Coquina Hotel enterprise and me. Now with his beach resort, we had to hire more help, a bartender and pool boys. I was becoming a significant employer in the area, and fortunately, I was hiring a lot of young people who were not University material. Working young people don’t have time to loiter or get in trouble. No matter where I went in Town with Jon, we would be surrounded by teens. If he saw a young person who looked hungry or needed new clothes, he would feed them and then hire them to work on his beach.

From my roost in the back of the hotel, He had boys crabbing, washing and cleaning client boats, raking the sand at his resort. I noticed that the boys worked 4-hour shifts. This meant that for the 12 hours the resort operates, he had three boys employed per 12-hour cycle. No boy worked more than five days in a week.

Our lives became routine. I was busy with the hotel and motel. Jon was busy with the beach and supporting me. Life was good, I was happy, Jon was happy, and our employees were happy. What could go wrong?

Six months later, that question was answered. Jon received a letter from his brother telling him that his mother was ill and would like to see him. There was only one solution, Jon had to go home. There is an old saying that bad news comes in threes. It wasn’t long after Jon left that I got a note from Andy that Joseph was seriously ill and in the hospital. The prognosis was not good doctors are saying he only has a few weeks left. Joseph’s recklessness has caught up with him. I phoned Andy to find out about Joseph’s status. Unfortunately, within the time his letter reached me, Joseph had died. I felt that death. Joseph wasn’t a bad person, and he had only one thing going for him, his looks. He lived off his looks and sex. I felt his death as if he was a part of my family. I arranged for Andy to handle the funeral and send the bill to me. Joseph was a young man. It didn’t matter what he did or didn’t do. Joseph was Joseph, and who knew the devils he had to live with. He was at rest now, free of whatever drove him to do what he did.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 6
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting chapter, they do say that there are only 2 certainties in life death and taxes , it was sad but then he lived his life at the edge and he paid the price

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Interesting chapter. Unfortunately death comes to us all, but it came to Joseph early because of his recklessness.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Chris L said:

"Jon is more than just a good-looking man. He’s got a brain" .... now THAT's a man I want! 🤣

If he hasn't any brothers, we're gonna have to arm wrestle for him!!😁

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I love that Roger is with Jon. One thing different about Roger as compared to your previous characters is the others characters interacted with the boys whether as a teacher or employer etc.Here he only says the boys that implies he lets Jon do all the dealings with them.Jon having to go back home may be a opportunity to fill the void with the boys will feel while Jon is away

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Jon being the link with the boys will draw the boys to him when he gets back to try to compensate for his loss as they will feel it too. It is surprising what kids can sense. I love how roger is letting Jon take the reins and involve the kids. He is not only giving them the feed and help that they need, he is giving them a sense of self worth by being involved in something worthwhile and having a job that pays. 

Love it!!! Not many get a chance like that these days. With so many losing jobs because of the shitstorm that we are in its good to feel a little normality. :thankyou:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 8/28/2021 at 6:52 AM, mikedup said:

Interesting chapter, they do say that there are only 2 certainties in life death and taxes , it was sad but then he lived his life at the edge and he paid the price

There I another saying of only two things in life, death and taxes

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 8/28/2021 at 7:22 AM, chris191070 said:

Interesting chapter. Unfortunately death comes to us all, but it came to Joseph early because of his recklessness.

Yes, and it didn't have to happen. He was reckless

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Just now, CLJobe said:

Yes, and it have to happen. He was reckless

 

21 hours ago, Chris L said:

"Jon is more than just a good-looking man. He’s got a brain" .... now THAT's a man I want! 🤣

I think you have that man.  Be glad for what you have, you are one of the lucky ones.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
18 hours ago, drsawzall said:

If he hasn't any brothers, we're gonna have to arm wrestle for him!!😁

absolutely and I hope he' in shape 😀

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
15 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I love that Roger is with Jon. One thing different about Roger as compared to your previous characters is the others characters interacted with the boys whether as a teacher or employer etc.Here he only says the boys that implies he lets Jon do all the dealings with them.Jon having to go back home may be a opportunity to fill the void with the boys will feel while Jon is away

Roger is out of his element in dealing with boys. Jon is comfortable with the sea, a natural split of responsibility

  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Kev said:

Jon being the link with the boys will draw the boys to him when he gets back to try to compensate for his loss as they will feel it too. It is surprising what kids can sense. I love how roger is letting Jon take the reins and involve the kids. He is not only giving them the feed and help that they need, he is giving them a sense of self worth by being involved in something worthwhile and having a job that pays. 

Love it!!! Not many get a chance like that these days. With so many losing jobs because of the shitstorm that we are in its good to feel a little normality. :thankyou:

You are right, it will take some time for a semblance of normality to return.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I met Joseph on one of my trips to Europe. I was sitting at a bar across from my hotel when he approached me.  The bartender told him to leave me alone.  That was like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

Joseph's family was from Turkey, according to the bartender. His family lived in the south and Joseph ran away from home.

On my second trip to Europe, the bartender told me Joseph had died of AIDS 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..