Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 638 Words
  • 2,510 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Coquina Hotel - 2. Chapter 2

During the next two days, I looked for a job. I didn’t need to work, but I had to keep busy, knowing that it would take a significant amount of work and time to resurrect the Coquina Hotel.

I found a job in a restaurant as a waiter working the night shift. I didn’t mind the hours, and the previous night waiter appreciated not working that shift. It did allow me to work on another project. I knew that being overweight for a gay man who liked younger men was not attractive. I’m sure if I was trim and muscular, Joe would have never cheated. At least I like to think that.

Two doors down from the restaurant was an athletic club, a gym. I guess an athletic club sounds better than a gym. I hired a trainer and began a program to lose weight and build some muscles. I knew this was going to take some time, no overnight miracles.

Friday, I met with Mr. Turner, and this time I took the elevator. I had the cashier’s check, and he had the deed to the property. A few signatures, and the property was mine. As I was leaving, I mentioned I’d be looking for a Contractor as I wanted to get the Hotel operational as soon as possible. He suggested I look at the firm the town uses, giving me their card.

Monday morning, before heading to the gym, I stopped at the office of Burlington Contractors, and since I didn’t have an appointment, they asked that I come back tomorrow at 1:30. Thanking the receptionist, I proceeded to the gym.

After filling out the forms and meeting with a trainer, we established a schedule beginning tomorrow morning.

I returned to the motel. “You’re in a good mood, Mr. Lawson.”

“Yes, I now own the Coquina Hotel.”

“Congratulations, that hotel will need a lot of work.”

“Yes, I have a meeting with the Burlington Contractors tomorrow to discuss the resurrection of the Coquina Hotel.”

I was excited when I woke up. I was anxious to start working on the Hotel. I had a light breakfast and headed to the gym. After my initial check-in, weight, and height recorded, my trainer started me on light workouts. He said we would build up to more strenuous activity in time.

I went and had a coffee and then headed to the library to read up on the Hotel and the area. I spent the rest of the morning reading about the Hotel and viewing photos taken over the years. The more I read and saw the images from the past, the more excited I became.

At 1:30, I met with Burlington Contractors, and it seems word travels fast in a small community. “Hello, Mr. Lawson. I’m Richard Jones, General Manager of Burlington Contractors.”

“Mr. Jones, I’m the owner of the Coquina Hotel property.”

“Yes, Mr. Lawson, we know, everyone in town knows. So how may we help you?”

“I want to rebuild that hotel as it was before it deteriorated. Can you do that?”

“Well, we will need to make an assessment. I’ll send one of my men out there to take a look around. Then we can meet, say in 5 days, and I’ll tell you what we can do and the costs.”

“Okay. But I do want to start as soon as possible.”

“I’ll let you know when we have completed the survey. Then we will have the costs and timing.”

It was hard to wait, and I hoped he would send someone out right away or at least tomorrow morning. I guess I was like a kid on Christmas Eve.

The rest of the week, I kept to my schedule—the gym in the morning, the library in the afternoon, and working in the evening.

short chapter
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 11
  • Fingers Crossed 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 minutes ago, purrbaby said:

I suspect the contractor will be an issue. Just something about his attitude rubs me wrong. 

The contractor probably had an easy life until now. The reconstruction is a big project. He will need help.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

The contractor sounds like he wants an easy life, send Lawson to the closest large town. Maybe if the contractor thinks he'll lose the work he'll get his finger out and do something.

Didn not like his attitude at all, put a stick of dynamite up his arse and maybe he react.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Everybody  in town knows he bought the property?So it's that kind of town. Just from casual conversations with friends over the years I have heard my share of contractor horror stories judging by the comments here it seems many of your readers have also.

The joker contractor that tried to rip off my parents didn't know my father was a retired police officer.  Things did not go well for him.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

With everyone in the town knowing, the contractor probably thinks he dead certain to get the job. He sounded arrogant, he'll need help if he gets the job.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Only a fool goes with the first bid or contractor interviewed.

At minimum, A request for a Proposal (RFP) should be sent out to various contractors...if you don't know any, ask the Better Business Bureau! 

Ask for references!!!

Review the bids and references and THEN make a decision.

Haste makes waste!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Interesting chapter, I think that the contractor thinks that they have the job in the bag, I think that they are a bit of a rip off thinking that they are the only crowd in town , I hope that he asks for some honest references , interesting times

  • Like 3
Link to comment
18 hours ago, Kev said:

The contractor sounds like he wants an easy life, send Lawson to the closest large town. Maybe if the contractor thinks he'll lose the work he'll get his finger out and do something.

Didn not like his attitude at all, put a stick of dynamite up his arse and maybe he react.

Would I do that. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
18 hours ago, davewri said:

Contractor sounds like he thinks  he's the only choice.

Actually he is. The nearest competition is several miles away. Cost would be more a they would have to place a temporary office close by the site

  • Like 2
Link to comment
16 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Everybody  in town knows he bought the property?So it's that kind of town. Just from casual conversations with friends over the years I have heard my share of contractor horror stories judging by the comments here it seems many of your readers have also.

One advantage of a small town, or disadvantage, everyone knows everyone's business.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
15 hours ago, davewri said:

The joker contractor that tried to rip off my parents didn't know my father was a retired police officer.  Things did not go well for him.

I'm sure his reputation suffered as well

  • Like 2
Link to comment
14 hours ago, chris191070 said:

With everyone in the town knowing, the contractor probably thinks he dead certain to get the job. He sounded arrogant, he'll need help if he gets the job.

He is the only one in town and is supported by the town's projects which aren't that many. I think he was waiting to retire and his company sent him to this outpost

  • Like 2
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Chris L said:

Soon the Coquina will be up and running at full occupancy. Who do I contact for a reservation? 

I'll send you the address and you can contact Roger

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Only a fool goes with the first bid or contractor interviewed.

At minimum, A request for a Proposal (RFP) should be sent out to various contractors...if you don't know any, ask the Better Business Bureau! 

Ask for references!!!

Review the bids and references and THEN make a decision.

Haste makes waste!

You realized this is a story and the importance of Mr. Jones will be evident in the next chapter

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, mikedup said:

Interesting chapter, I think that the contractor thinks that they have the job in the bag, I think that they are a bit of a rip off thinking that they are the only crowd in town , I hope that he asks for some honest references , interesting times

I hadn't realized I created a contractor who has caused such a negative reaction.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I hadn't realized I created a contractor who has caused such a negative reaction.

I'm sure the contractor will prove everyone wrong in the next chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

THE MAIN PROBLEM...... SO FAR WITH THIS WORK.... IS WORKING IN THE REQUIRED HOT CHOCOLATE WITH A OBESE MAN THAT IS ON A HEALTHY DIET..........HUMOR SIR.  :) STAN

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Bft

Posted (edited)

I would have thought that Roger would have done a lot of research before buying the hotel, could the town support a second hotel as is there enough business and are there plenty of visitors to the area that he will make money? Will have enough occupancy or to many vacant rooms? 

Edited by Bft
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..