Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,403 Words
  • 2,538 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Coquina Hotel - 1. Chapter 1

Sitting at the table drinking my coffee, I couldn’t help but let my mind drift back a few years ago. At least it felt like a few years ago; it was ten years since I was in this city. Leaving wasn’t on my mind then, but I had no choice. I was in a relationship. Well, I thought it was a relationship. It turned out it was a one-sided relationship. While I was faithful, my partner was having the time of his life. I really couldn’t blame him, I was five years older than him and about 60 pounds heavier, actually I was fat. He only stayed with me because I had money. Catching him with someone else in our bed was the last straw. I packed my bags and left, his laughter ringing in my ears. Now ten years later, I’m back. I have since taken stock of myself. I lost the extra pounds, added a few muscles in the right places, and I was a new man.

When I completed my studies in the Hospitality field, I was employed by a hotel which was a part of a large chain. I was one of the staff assigned to worked the front desk. Initially, I was assigned the night shift as the new guy. After working the night shift for three years, I was assigned to the morning shift. When I reached the age of 35, I was contacted by a law firm concerning my inheritance. I was puzzled why I was being contacted now. My parents had died several years ago due to an accident, and I had no other relatives. Being the only child, I had collected on my parents’ life insurance which allowed me to finish school.

As instructed by the law firm, I met with them on the appointed day. What they told me I couldn’t believe. My grandparents had left a trust fund for me that I could collect when I was 25. Additionally, there was a trust fund my parents had established when they were alive and a settlement from the insurance company that insured the truck involved in the accident that resulted in the death of my parents. The result was, I was a very wealthy man. I never told my partner about the money, I had it invested, and I lived off the money I had left from the insurance and what I earned at the hotel. As it turned out, I was glad I kept this knowledge from my partner.

During the ten years, I was away from this city, I had invested my money in the hospitality business. I started with a small ten-room hotel on the coast that had seen better days. I read about the hotel in an article written in a magazine catering to the hospitality profession. The article’s theme was hotels of the past that once were rated as the best of the boutique hotels of that era.

I looked at several they had listed, but I kept coming back to this small hotel. It had ten rooms on two floors and was located on the coast. Something about being situated on the coast piqued my interest. I booked a flight to the coast, rented a car, and drove to where this hotel was located. It was an eight-hour drive from the airport. When I got close, I stopped at a motel and registered for two nights.

In the morning, I asked the motel clerk the best way to get to this hotel. “You talking about the old Coquina Hotel?”

“Yes, I read about it, and I wanted to see it.”

“When you leave the parking lot, turn left for about 5 miles, then turn right toward the ocean. I think there is still an old sign. You can’t miss it, it will be on your right, and it sits on a rise.”

It wasn’t the best direction, but I had a feeling I wouldn’t have any problems finding it. Following the directions that the motel clerk gave me, he was right. There was an old sign, and it wasn’t hard to find the hotel.

The hotel was run down and needed a lot of work. Work wasn’t a problem for me, but it needed to be rebuilt. I walked around the site. The back faced the ocean, and what a view. The view alone would be worth the land. Sitting on an old piece of stone wall, I was mesmerized by the sea. It gave me a feeling of calm and peace. I had to have this place. With that decision, I drove back to the motel.

Entering the motel office, “Did you find it?”

“Yes, and there is still a sign. Who owns that property?”

“I think the town or county owns it. They took it several years ago for taxes. The people who owned it didn’t want it and let it go for taxes.”

I drove to the town and City Hall, which wasn’t hard to find. The building had a statue of Lady Justice on the dome of the building. Parking, I entered the building looking for the directory. The office I was looking for was on the second floor. There was an elevator, but I decided to take the stairs. It was slow, and when I reached the top, I realized I was out of breathe. At that moment, I decided to lose weight and get in shape. Thinking back to Joseph, maybe it would have been different if I wasn’t so fat.

Walking into the city planning office, I told the receptionist I was here to discuss the taxes on the property known as the Coquina Hotel. She called someone and asked me to take a seat, and someone would come for me.

I sat there for approximately 15 minutes when a young man showed up. He spoke to the receptionist, looked at me, nodded back to the receptionist, and headed in my direction. I stood as he approached, “My name is Brad Turner. You are here concerning the property known as the Coquina hotel?”

“Yes, my name is Roger Larson, and I’m interested in purchasing that property. I understand that the City owns it for tax delinquency.”

“That is correct. If you come to my office, I’ll get the records for that property.”

I followed him to his office, another short staircase, definitely the elevator next time. He called someone, and soon a young lady brought in a folder. He opened the folder, scanned the information, “According to this document, taxes have not been paid on that property for 15 years. I understood that the previous owners didn’t want the property and let the county take it for taxes.”

“That is my understanding as well.”

“You are willing to pay the back taxes for ownership of the property.”

"Yes, I want to rebuild the old hotel.”

“According to these papers, the propert was put on auction ten years ago with the proviso the hotel became operational. There were no bids. You are willing to meet those conditions?”

“Yes, as long as the taxes reflect only the land and not the building or what is left of the building.”

“But you intend to operate a hotel there?

“Yes, the original hotel can not be operated as is and must be rebuilt. That in and of itself will cost a rather large sum of money.”

“You understand that if you obtain the land as it was first placed on auction and did not follow through with the ultimate condition of operating a hotel on that property, you will lose your investment and any taxes you have paid.”

‘Yes”

“When the property was placed on auction, the opening bid was set at 50,000. You would have to meet that.”

“Yes, I’m able to do that.”

“I’ll have our lawyer draw up the papers. We will need a cashier check for 50,000 dollars. Let’s meet this week on Friday at 1:30.”

I stood up, we shook hands, and I almost danced down the stairs. This was going to happen.

I drove back to the motel and told the owner that I would be closing on the property of the Coquina Hotel on Friday. He congratulated me and wanted to know what my plans were.

I told him as soon as I conclude the deal, I will look for a contractor to renovate the old hotel.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 43
  • Love 11
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Welcome back, this story looks like it going to be another awesome coaster ride, I look forward to reading it

  • Like 3
Link to comment
15 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great start to the new story, I look forward to reading more about Roger and the Coquina Hotel.

I hope you will enjoy this story

  • Like 3
Link to comment
15 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Welcome back, I am hooked and looking forward to many more chapters!!

Thanks, this will be a short story  no way another 170 chapters 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Not to be redundant but welcome back.I don't know much about these things but I assume Roger can negotiate how much time the city will give him to rebuild it before opening.

Thanks, Since the condition of the sale was that he must rebuild it was assummed he would start very soon. No city could push him to rebuild more than his desire to have it rebuilt.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

Welcome back.  Looking forward to another adventure. 

Thanks.  It will be hard to top Adam but I'll try

  • Like 3
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Kev said:

I have missed you my friend!!! Not sure we'll fall in love with Roger like we did Adam but I am willing to give our relationship a try 🥰🥰🤣 Loving the story so far... Always wanted to work in the hotel business, it was the first job that I had after my break down and coming out and I LOVED it... well the owners were a bunch of tossers but the hotel was great (think they are knocking it down now) ...

Busy weekend and then have the start of the week off... will try to keep up, but one of my kids is having a heart opp next week and could have to head down south if they need me.

Welcome back, we have missed you:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Thank you. My prayers and I'll pray everything goes well

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Nuzzulinu said:

Bentornato, non vedevo l'ora di un'altra avventura, grazie-

Grazie

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mikedup said:

Welcome back, this story looks like it going to be another awesome coaster ride, I look forward to reading it

Thanks, but this will not be a coaster ride, maybe more like a bumper ride.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Andre Delport said:

I have a feeling I'm going to love this story. Hotels and hospitality are my background. Looking forward to more.

I hope you do enjoy it. I look forward to your critique  and please do that. This is not may background.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It was difficult to create a story after Adam. This is a short story which I hope you will enjoy.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Cal, I won't repeat what everyone else already 'wished' you, other than to say I'm looking forward to this story from a favorite author. ✒️

IMHO Roger should have consulted a lawyer, who would have told him to haggle over the taxes due because most governments that seize properties for unpaid taxes after a year will negotiate, sometimes more than 50%. As for the proviso that Roger must agree to operate a hotel (motel, Inn etc) on the property or see it seized again? The city is almost as bad as loan sharks or a NYC tenement owner . They're just trying to grab the 'Occupancy' tax (10-30% or more) that they skim oops take on top of municipal services taxes. 

The joke comes to mind... 'How to become a Millionaire in the hospitality industry? Start as 💰 Billionaire and buy a money pit 💸.' 

Cynical? Moi? No, just seen it before, but I won't bet the proverbial farm on it, as you have a knack :wizard: for turning things around. :read:

:whistle:

Tony C

:thankyou:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A lovely soft natural opening. Almost feels lazy. Very easy to get settled into and I'm liking the reality of the characters you are starting to introduce. Lovey stuff :) 

Thank you!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..