Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 852 Words
  • 1,992 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Coquina Hotel - 8. Chapter 8

For the next few days, I composed advertisements for the Drake. I needed pictures, and Jon had his ideas of the type of pictures. He posed on the bow, I laughed. If I had a Viking costume, I knew he would want to pose in that costume.

They went fishing to see what type of fish lived in the waters close to the Hotel, so he said. For the next two weeks, Jon, Jerry, and one of the boys from the ground crew went fishing. We started to have fish on our menu for lunch and dinner.

A few of our guests began to go fishing. I wasn’t sure if it was the fishing or the boat ride. I did see more seafood on our menus.

Over the next few months, Jon and the boys fished every day. It was Jerry that told me he was selling fish in town. When they had extra that the hotel didn’t need, they took it to town to sell.

“Jon, if you continue to take the boys fishing, we need to hire more boys to work the grounds. I noticed the lawns needed mowing and trimming as well as the bushes.”

“Roge, put Charlie in charge of the grounds and let him hire his help. One of the boys working is his son. I’m sure he has some friends that would like to work as well.”

“I need to put a crew at the motel as well. I was there the other day. The grass needs cut. I saw a motel up north that had a swimming pool. We have nice weather all year, and maybe I should put in a swimming pool as well.”

“You would need lifeguards.”

“You can train them.” Saying that, I headed to my office.

 

The following day at breakfast, “I’m going in town this morning and talk to Jones about building a pool. Is there anything else?”

“Yes, we need a kitchen and a dining room. Instead of menus’ will have a buffet. I’m going to advertise the motel.”

“You’ll have to increase staff.”

“Yes, I’m sure finding staff won’t be a problem. You had no problem finding a fishing crew.”

It was late morning when Jon returned. “I spoke to Mr. Jones, and he will send a man out to the Motel to estimate costs and timing.”

“I’d like to see a sketch of the layout with the pool and dining hall. If you get a chance, ask him to do that as well.”

“I’ll give him a call and leave a message. Maybe I’ll meet the guy he sends out. I can give him an idea where the best place would be for a pool.”

“You may end up with a job. He’ll need someone to supervise the work.”

Jon laughed as we walked to the beach and the boat. Jerry was there, sitting at the end of the pier.

“Jerry, what’s so interesting?”

“Crabs, there are quite a few here. Jon, you were right. Dropping the cleanings from the fish have attracted quite a few crabs.”

I looked, and he was right. I wonder if they were good to eat. I’ll check with Diane. “Jerry, see if you can catch a few. If you do, take them to Diane and asked her if they are good to eat.”

I watched as he tried to snare a few with a net. He ended up getting into the water. He baited the net, dipped it in water in front of him, and waited. One sidled over, and just as he entered the net, Jerry snapped the net out of the water. “Is one enough?”

“Yes, if Diane says there are good to eat, then we can catch more.”

I realize that we need to be selective so we didn’t catch them all and then we'll not have anymore. If we put something on the menu, I knew we must have enough to provide our guests with food items for the hotel and the future.

“Jon, if those are good to eat, how are we going to make sure we always have them?”

“If we keep feeding them, they will be here. I’ll tell the boys to catch only the large ones, the small ones we’ll toss back. You understand we will have tp fish each day to provide food for the crabs.”

I laughed, “You’ll use any excuse to fish.”

 

It has been six months since Burlington Contractors finished the work on the motel. I had asked Jon and George to hire boys for a ground crew and lifeguards. Diane hired staff for the dining hall and created a seven-day menu. Reviewing their applications, I was satisfied that they had a good team.

Jon continued to go fishing, and fish became a regular item on our menu. Diane had the kitchen prepare fish nuggets to be delivered to the dining hall at the Motel for their buffet. Crab became a Sunday special, much to the delight of Jon as this ensured that Drake would continue to be going fishing with Jon and his crew.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 13
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great progress, at both hotels, more variety and fun for all the guests and staff, the pool will most definitely become an important part of the family

  • Like 4
Link to comment

What I love about this story is the partnership and ease between Jon and Roger. They have a great spirit about them and combines as a couple. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

How about a small gym and sauna to go with the pool? Look at me I'm acting like I'm his business partner LOL

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I love crab meat... not sure why. Never tried lobster though. Great progress for the hotel and it seems to be growing which is good.

If all goes well, today will be the day. My son has the afternoon time slot for the operation so as you can imagine I'm clawing at the walls. Worry worry... I'm 600 miles (maybe exaggerated) away, wishing that I could be closer but with covid even if I was we could not go to the hospital!🤬Only one person is allowed in to see him, even his kids can't.

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great progress, at both hotels, more variety and fun for all the guests and staff, the pool will most definitely become an important part of the family

Yes, not everyone wants to swim in the sea

  • Like 3
Link to comment
20 hours ago, drsawzall said:

A great lesson on how to build a successful business! 

It's done one step at a time. Jon has the sea as his play ground.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
20 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Both hotels have become successful. The boat is also making money. So an all round successful business.

Business looks good. Roger is happy

  • Like 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Chris L said:

What I love about this story is the partnership and ease between Jon and Roger. They have a great spirit about them and combines as a couple. 

I'm sure the relationship between Roger and Jon only mimics the relationship between two people who are truly devoted to each other. It happens when one partner puts the happiness of the other partner as a priority.  I think you already know this

  • Like 3
Link to comment
14 hours ago, weinerdog said:

How about a small gym and sauna to go with the pool? Look at me I'm acting like I'm his business partner LOL

Not a bad idea, I'll speak to Jon

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

I love crab meat... not sure why. Never tried lobster though. Great progress for the hotel and it seems to be growing which is good.

If all goes well, today will be the day. My son has the afternoon time slot for the operation so as you can imagine I'm clawing at the walls. Worry worry... I'm 600 miles (maybe exaggerated) away, wishing that I could be closer but with covid even if I was we could not go to the hospital!🤬Only one person is allowed in to see him, even his kids can't.

If you love crab meat you will love lobster.

Prayers for your son. Have faith that all will go well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

If you love crab meat you will love lobster.

Prayers for your son. Have faith that all will go well.

Flaming emergency beds filled overnight so cancelled for third time in one week... if they don't do it soon he'll be the emergency... God I hate hospitals.

  • Like 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..