Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 852 Words
  • 1,909 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Coquina Hotel - 9. Chapter 9

I started to advertise in more magazines. I advertised under the name of the Hotel Coquina and Motel Coquina, offering fishing as an activity. As bookings began to increase, I bought another car to provide transportation between the Motel and the airport. My staff had increased, and I was becoming well known in town. It seemed I was a very successful man and Jon, being my partner, was just as successful.

I received a letter from Mr. Metendorf. The Lodge was taken off the market. They reconfigured the Lodge to provide apartments which they sold. Reading the letter, he seems to indicate he was satisfied with the outcome. I told Jon, and he just smiled.

Including seafood on our menu started a new business for the residents of the town. I noticed a few old fashion rowboats on the water with men and boys fishing. I told Jon he was in charge of that enterprise. He hired two boys to clean their fish for a fee. The increase in fish offal increased the number of crabs. A pleasant surprise was the presence of shrimp. The method of harvesting crabs didn’t work for shrimp, so the boys used nets to catch the shrimp. I was waiting for one of the boys to bring me a lobster. Jon just smiled when I mention the idea of getting a boat was paying off.

An excellent result was that we had fresh fish on the menu for lunch and dinner and various dishes containing fish. Diane created a fish pie that was in the dining hall at the Motel. The quantity of shrimp and crabs did not support a standing menu item. When we had sufficient quantities, we offered them as a special.

Jon wanted to build another pier and extend it further out into the sea. One night he showed me a drawing. He had measured the depth of the sea at various distances from the shore. He already knew we could go as far as the first pier he built. He wanted to double the length.

In conversations with Mr. Jones, they came up with a scheme to float a pier. They would drop guide posts far out into the ocean. The problem, they could only go as far as the height of the post. The new pier would extend one and a half times further into the ocean than the original pier. They did add to this new pier a cross piece so that it looked like a T, if you looked at it from the Hotel grounds.

Jon was happy when it was finished, the boys were happy, and the town folk was happy. It seemed everyone appreciated the additional pier.

A few of the town men had rowboats. Jon put pegs into the sand, which allowed them to pull their boats up onto the sand and tie them off. Those that had motorboats had to use the pier.

Jon was smiling every time I looked at him. There was no question that fishing was an added attraction to our business. We posted signs at the Motel and in town highlighting the piers and that the Hotel would buy any edible fish. As a result, we now had fishing gear for rent and a car from the Motel to the beach.

“Roge, if this keeps up, we are going to need to extend the beach.”

“Why?”

“I was thinking of providing beach cabanas for the guests. We could provide towels, drinks, and even some snacks.”

“And how we would arrange to get these items to them? You can’t have the kitchen staff running back and forth.”

‘’Give me a few days, and I’ll think of something.”

I kissed him and headed back to my office. No matter how hard I tried to concentrate on the books, my mind kept going back to Jon’s suggestion. I had to do the books, so I decided it was Jon’s project, not mine.

Over the next few weeks, I’d find Jon talking to the boys. One of the boys brought a magazine with him to show Jon.

At dinner that night, “Roge, if I find a way to provide cabanas and offer drinks and snack foods, you would go for it?”

Looking into his eyes, I’d promise him everything. “You have a solution?”

“Yes, the cabanas we can buy. I can put a cabinet with a flat board on the top in the cave and have a cooler in the cabinet for cold drinks. We can store some snacks, and the boys can come to the kitchen to replenish the snack inventory.”

He was so happy I couldn’t say no. The downside would be the money it would take to build the cave cabinet and purchase the cabanas. “Okay, go ahead.”

Jon was never demonstrative in front of people, and he was now. He got out of his seat and gave me a kiss that promised something special tonight.

“Jon, wait. Finish your meal.”

He would take a bite, look at me, and smile. He was like a kid that got his favorite gift.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 14
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Roger doesn't seem to be able to say no to Jon. Everything thing Jon wants improves the businesses, sometimes you need to spend money to make money.

Roger made the right decision not buying the mountain hotel.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

A great synergy between Roger and Jon - both improving the properties in their own ways yet being a methodical check and balance for each other as well. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I love these two fellas...

It would be nice to have a project that turns into a money spinner. Some people just have the ability to spin gold... I once thought writing would do it, but too afraid of rejection to ever put anything out there. Tried one or two but didn't have the courage to try again.

thank you:kiss:

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great story, I think that they should buy a mini bus for the hotel instead of a car to pick up their guests. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

if they keep growing the businesses, they will be employing most of the local community!

Great job!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
23 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Roger doesn't seem to be able to say no to Jon. Everything thing Jon wants improves the businesses, sometimes you need to spend money to make money.

Roger made the right decision not buying the mountain hotel.

Yes and you are right. You have to spend money to make money

  • Like 2
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Chris L said:

A great synergy between Roger and Jon - both improving the properties in their own ways yet being a methodical check and balance for each other as well. 

A true partnership. Jon and Roger working to gather, each within their expertise

  • Like 2
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Kev said:

I love these two fellas...

It would be nice to have a project that turns into a money spinner. Some people just have the ability to spin gold... I once thought writing would do it, but too afraid of rejection to ever put anything out there. Tried one or two but didn't have the courage to try again.

thank you:kiss:

If you don't try, you will never know if something is possible or not. We learn from rejection as well acceptance.  How's your son holding up?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, mikedup said:

Interesting developments, the more they add on and expand the more popular it becomes

I wonder what the original heirs to the property are thinking

  • Like 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Bft said:

Great story, I think that they should buy a mini bus for the hotel instead of a car to pick up their guests. 

Yes. but think of the impact on the customers.  It would work for the Motel but the Hotel needs tol be a little classier

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, drsawzall said:

if they keep growing the businesses, they will be employing most of the local community!

Great job!!

At least teenagers

  • Like 2
Link to comment
12 hours ago, CLJobe said:

If you don't try, you will never know if something is possible or not. We learn from rejection as well acceptance.  How's your son holding up?

He seems okay, but being prepped for an operation and then having it cancelled four times in a week is so unfair. I worry that unless they act soon then he will be the one that is the emergency. He is literally confined to his room as walking even to the lift makes him black out. Nurses have had to save him more than once. Being all these miles is living hell at the moment, I just want to be there for him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

With all the construction going on in Roger and Jon's version of 'The Batcave' I'm surprised they haven't come across either a hidden room behind a wall or a grotto with undiscovered treasure. Surely back in the day, pirates would have looted ships transporting gold and silver coins.  🪙

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..