Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 923 Words
  • 2,763 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Lottery - 2. Chapter 2

“It was about 10 o’clock that night when Mr. Wilkins called, “I’ve spoken to the owners. They suggested they would like to split the difference.”

“At the end of the third day, I owned a farm. I went to Alexandria to contacted an architect and a company to install a chain-link fence around the property. The property was fenced, but I wanted a security fence. The architect firm assigned one of their junior staff to work with me on modifying the farmhouse while still trying to keep some of the rural charms. At the end of 9 months, I had my sequestered farm. The chain-link fence was installed with a gate that had an automatic opener and closer. I replaced the septic system with a larger one, including a larger drain field. I added a formal dining room, utilizing the space above the dining room to build my bedroom with an en suite bathroom. On one end of the dining room, I had a glass conservatory built leading to a swimming pool with a pool house that included the pumps and filters and a storage area for towels and lawn equipment. I also had two showers installed on one end of the pool house.

“Now, I was ready to put my secret plan in action.”

“I drove to several car and truck dealers in Wytheville. I need a specially designed van. I wanted a food truck. On the internet, I found a company that handled units by Custom Concessions. I showed the unit to several dealers. The Ford dealer said he could get me a unit but suggested I get the 14-foot unit. He said the price differential was wasn’t that much, and I’ll appreciate the extra length. I bought the 14-foot unit; the salesman said it would take a few days to have the unit delivered and prep. He’ll call me when the unit is ready to be picked up. This allowed me to register the unit and have it listed on my insurance. Now I had to figure out a way to pick up the unit and not drive my car.

I had been talking with Mom and Dad, telling them about the farm. Mom called and said Dad and her wanted to visit if that was okay. I sent them plane tickets and told them I’d meet them at the airport.”

Mom and Dad stayed for three weeks. During that time, I cleaned up the chicken coop and repaired the chicken fence. When we were in Alexandria, I contacted the architect who worked on the house. We set a meeting for the week after Mom and Dad would leave. I wanted to start working on converting the barn into a dorm.

Spending time with Mom and Dad was my priority while they were here. That didn’t mean I didn’t work on my special project. Dad asked what I was going to do with the food truck. I explained my project, including the barn renovation. I had his and Mom’s support; they even volunteered to help source the foods I would need.

While Mom and Dad were visiting, I needed to go shopping, “Mom, there’s a store in Woodlawn about 23 miles from here. I think they might be the store I’m looking for to supply my food truck as well as my home. I’d like you to come with me. I could use your input.”

The store was a country store that appeared to sell a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, probably from the farms in the area. I asked about meats, they said they have some, but their inventory depended on when the farmers were butchering. I did manage to get a couple of pounds of sliced ham and cheese. Mom went and picked up some buns and fruit. “Mom, a bushel of apples?”

“Yes, they keep well and are nutritious.”

I would need to get pint cartons of milk. At the dairy section, “I need several pint cartons of milk. Do I need to pre-order?”

“No sir, but if it’s a significant amount, you can give us a call a few days before, and we’ll have it ready for you.”

I thanked him and proceeded to the checkout register with Mom. Now, as soon as the food truck arrives, I’ll be ready to make my DC run.

Arriving back at the farm, dad helped to unload the car. “You know you may need a pick-up for your shopping. This car is pretty full, especially with the bushel of apples.”

“A few days before Mom and Dad had to leave, the food truck arrived. I parked it at the farm. I would load it and planned on making a run right after Mom and Dad left.

Driving Mom and Dad back to the airport, we talked about my farm plans, particularly the barn. “Jeff, if you want to convert that old barn into a dorm for the street kids, I think you would be better off razing it and building a dormitory. I noticed that the barn was in bad shape, many of the wooden floorboards were rotten, and the roof had a lot of holes. You’d probably pay more for a refurbishing than a new building.”

“I have a meeting with the architect later this week, I’ll discuss that with him.”

I gave a lot of thought to what Dad said. He has good judgment, and he spent a lot of time walking around the farm. He probably knows that barn better than I do.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 16
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I really like when good people do good work, cause sometimes the returns are way awesome. So I am expecting a bushel of Way Awesome coming please.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter and an interesting beginning to this new story

Thanks, 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Buz said:

I really like when good people do good work, cause sometimes the returns are way awesome. So I am expecting a bushel of Way Awesome coming please.

I think I can deliver that bushel for you

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

I think I like where this is going. Some ultimate paying it forward (anonymously), and if properly structured a Legacy Trust could fund this, if not indefinitely, then certainly for a generation from income after taxes without depleting capital. 

I've seen suggestions for this in real life. If it comes to fruition through 'The Giving Trust'.

I'm with you on that. Now to win that Lottery

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter with a great idea in rescuing Street kids. I'm glad he's decided to use his money for a good cause.

Yes, at first you may think he is being selfish concerning his relatives, but he took care of his mom and dad, and now he has shown he has a heart.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

As soon as you mentioned pint sized cartons of milk I had an idea what Jeff was going to do.I'm just curious what kind of regulation hoops he's going to have to jump through.Strange you have street kids out there alone and the government is doing nothing for them but I bet as soon as Jeff tries to help them they'll try to get involved.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

As soon as you mentioned pint sized cartons of milk I had an idea what Jeff was going to do.I'm just curious what kind of regulation hoops he's going to have to jump through.Strange you have street kids out there alone and the government is doing nothing for them but I bet as soon as Jeff tries to help them they'll try to get involved.

It is strange. You read a lot about Children's Services, yet there are still a lot of children on the streets. It doesn't add up. I offer solutions in my story.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Chris L said:

Have wheels, will travel. This sounds like a wonderful idea. Wish I could be a part of it!

In our dreams we can be a part of anything and everything we want 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well I nearly made it but had to have just one more chapter... It says that I never commented so I am taking it that I have never read this one before... Loving Jeff, but don't tell Adam as I do not want them fighting for me:thankyou:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Kev said:

Well I nearly made it but had to have just one more chapter... It says that I never commented so I am taking it that I have never read this one before... Loving Jeff, but don't tell Adam as I do not want them fighting for me:thankyou:

Okay I won't tell Jeff.  I think you will be reading this story all the way through.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..