Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 830 Words
  • 2,747 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Lottery - 6. Chapter 6

Arriving home, the question of what to do with the girl. Paul solved that problem, he and Todd would move to a tent, and the girl could have their room. Problem solved, I was ready for bed.

Breakfast in the morning was cereal with fruit and orange juice. James arrived with blueprints for the dormitory. I looked them over while James explained them. I agreed and signed the contract. My audience had to see them as well, “We approve, Dad.” I smiled at James.

“That very afternoon before we left, men started to arrive and work on tearing down the old barn. The fire chief called and asked if he could burn it down as a practice for his firefighters. I looked at James. He said it would save me time and money. I agreed. James said they would start on the septic system then.

I made our trip to the park. We waited for several hours. The boys went out to check the streets. My police friend said he would check as well.

“I wasn’t sure he would, so I decided to drive to the park every other day.

The next day was another trip to the barber and a hair salon this time. Then shopping again, stopping off to order pizzas to be delivered. I used the time when I didn’t go to the park to catch up on my paperwork.

The boys kept me up to date on the construction. With James’s help, I order the industrial-sized equipment for the laundry and kitchen. I went and bought 24 peeps and feed. Now the boys volunteered to take care of the peeps. I contacted one of the farmers and arranged for him to plow some of my fields and plant corn. I was amazed at how everything is now being done with machines. This also allowed me to explained what was going on. I couldn’t hide the construction of the dorms.

“I made another trip to the park. There were two boys there. “The policeman said for us to wait and you would be back.”,

I smiled, “Yes, I’ll always come back as long as there are boys who need our help.” I didn’t need to sell my plan anymore. My boys did that. We took three boys home that night.

Things changed in our town. Now all I needed to do was to call the clothing store, with sizes and they delivered. The barbershop sent out two barbers on their days off to cut hair. The local hospital sent out two nurse practitioners to check the kids.

It seemed the community was in full support of what I was doing. As soon as the building is finished, I will turn my efforts toward education.

“I was down to making only three trips a week to the park in DC. Sometimes there would be no one, sometimes one or two. I must have been successful in taking these kids off the street. On one of the trips home, I stopped at a park in Alexandria. Todd was with me, “I’m going to walk around, Dad.”

I heard, “I’m telling you the truth. Come home with us. You get fed, a place to sleep, and a lot of brothers. We even have this swimming pool.”

“As Todd walked around the side of the truck, I saw he had two boys with him. One looked much older. “Dad, this is Jimmy and Dale. They are brothers.”

“Hi boys, Todd, get them a sandwich, milk, and a piece of fruit.”

The one which I suspect was Dale, the older boy, “He says that you have a lot of boys at your place. Is that true?

“Yes, we have a lot of boys. They came from DC. Todd was one of the first boys that came home with me. You’re welcome to come as well. The choice is yours.”

I heard the one called Jimmy, “Dale, I want to go with them. I’m afraid to be in this park. There are too many creeps.”

“I waited to see what they would do. It was Todd who convinces them. “Look, you can always leave if you don’t like it.”

“We’ll be right back.”

They came back with two large suitcases. Driving home, “I can drive, I have my license.”

“Do you have it with you?”

“No, but I can write to them and get a copy.”

“We’ll do that as soon as we can before the weekend is over.”

I think he was surprised when we pulled into the farm. The boys came out to help unload the truck. Since we don’t go every day, we must unpack the food truck.”

“In the morning, I prepared another big breakfast. I say I,, but that is a misnomer. The boys prepared breakfast. We had to eat outside on the picnic tables. There was no room in the house.

By the end of the day, the new boys were incorporated into our family.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Jeff has quickly gained the support of the community, with his plans to rescue boys. I think Dale will be a great help to Jeff as he has a driving licence.

I lived in Virginia for several years and I found the people very warm. They have a compassion to help. or so it seemed to me, being a northerner.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

The community is aware and giving support I'm just worried about some government busybody or some other troublemakers. 

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I'm really enjoying this story and look forward how things are going to develop.  Jeff is going to need to hire some staff now.  There are too many boys just for one to look after, but I'm sure you've already got plans for that.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Terry P said:

I'm really enjoying this story and look forward how things are going to develop.  Jeff is going to need to hire some staff now.  There are too many boys just for one to look after, but I'm sure you've already got plans for that.

Some of the boys are older, one has their driving license. I would think, with the community support, and the boys thinking they have landed in heaven, supervision might not be needed. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Dale being over 16 (drivers license) could be a big help to Jeff in working with the younger children. After all he was responsible for keeping his younger brother Jimmy safe once they found themselves on the street. (perhaps you can incorporate some group discussions where we get some of the children's history).

Children need each other for support and 'olders' like Jeff for protection and Hope.

:hug: :heart:

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great guns  A really broad range of ages of the boys ,it is uplifting that the community has began to help where they can

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great guns  A really broad range of ages of the boys ,it is uplifting that the community has began to help where they can

Yep, street boys have no age, they range from the young to teens.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Help me out here ... what is "bought 24 peeps and feed" mean? I can find no definition of peeps anywhere. Luv the story but my lack of understanding threw me for a loop there. I thought maybe we're talking about chicks so they'd be suppled in eggs etc. Just a guess though. Oh great, now i'm going to get "he's definitely from the city" LOL!!! LOL!!! 

*Just read the next chapter and a great guess - peeps are chickens I guess. Cluck cluck cluck! LOL!!! 

Edited by Chris L
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Chris L said:

Help me out here ... what is "bought 24 peeps and feed" mean? I can find no definition of peeps anywhere. Luv the story but my lack of understanding threw me for a loop there. I thought maybe we're talking about chicks so they'd be suppled in eggs etc. Just a guess though. Oh great, now i'm going to get "he's definitely from the city" LOL!!! LOL!!! 

*Just read the next chapter and a great guess - peeps are chickens I guess. Cluck cluck cluck! LOL!!! 

Peeps equal;s chicks, depending on what you called them growing up. Because they can't digest regular chicken feed, they are fed a mash, usually ground corn and wheat.  I never laughed at anyone from the city or the country, we are what we have been exposed to and chick is a word properly used.  But we always called them peeps, don't know why. My dad was a farm boy.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, GanymedeRex said:

I like Dale, so far.     

He's a good kid. He'll be with Jeff for a long time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Liking that the town is rallying round to support him... Glad there is an older boy that can drive, maybe there can be more trips. Great story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Kev said:

Liking that the town is rallying round to support him... Glad there is an older boy that can drive, maybe there can be more trips. Great story.

Have your ever notice that when someone is grateful, they become attached to you in a relationship of thankfulness and gratitude? It happens a lot among these boys.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/7/2020 at 7:39 PM, GanymedeRex said:

@CLJobe stories seem to have a lot in common with those of @quokka

At least ClJobe stays going in the same direction. I really like some of quokka's stories, but the main characters would be going in a great direction and all at once they would just drop whatever project they were working on and change complete direction. And a big percentage would have some kind of accident with a head injury and lose their memory. Got how I could usually predict a chapter in advance when that was going to happen. I just gave up on him. I am not trying to be too critical; I loved his settings in Australia, and the places were very easy to follow on Google Earth, which I love to do. It is just his style. I probably read 15 - 20 of his stories.  

  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

I agree with you @pickuptoy@quokka has some nice imagination but he retells the same story repeatedly. There's never any action and the characters have odd traits and plot twists.  My favorite story of his is one where these brothers settle and se

6 hours ago, pickuptoy said:

At least ClJobe stays going in the same direction. I really like some of quokka's stories, but the main characters would be going in a great direction and all at once they would just drop whatever project they were working on and change complete direction. And a big percentage would have some kind of accident with a head injury and lose their memory. Got how I could usually predict a chapter in advance when that was going to happen. I just gave up on him. I am not trying to be too critical; I loved his settings in Australia, and the places were very easy to follow on Google Earth, which I love to do. It is just his style. I probably read 15 - 20 of his stories.  

tup a farm in Australia. It was brilliant.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, GanymedeRex said:

I agree with you @pickuptoy@quokka has some nice imagination but he retells the same story repeatedly. There's never any action and the characters have odd traits and plot twists.  My favorite story of his is one where these brothers settle and se

tup a farm in Australia. It was brilliant.

I really liked that farm story too. But he had some really other good stories that I read and liked, but changing directions in the story completely was too much. From building resorts and houses and just walking away from them focusing on something else. They were very good and interesting stories until he would do that. I need to go back and read some more of his work now. It has been over 2 years maybe 3 since I last read one. 

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 10/27/2022 at 10:48 AM, GanymedeRex said:

I agree with you @pickuptoy@quokka has some nice imagination but he retells the same story repeatedly. There's never any action and the characters have odd traits and plot twists.  My favorite story of his is one where these brothers settle and se

tup a farm in Australia. It was brilliant.

Aussie Pioneers…

That story has a bit of significance to my ancestors, who came to Western Australia, when the Swan Colony was young. Great great grandfather was a Barrister in London, before immigrating to WA with his young family.

With no call for Barristers in the Swan Colony (Western Australia) in those days, he and his family travelled about 80 kilometres inland and leased some land and took up farming.

Farming continues for five more generation on my branch of the family.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..