Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 531 Words
  • 2,727 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Lottery - 7. Chapter 7

I remember the first day that our chickens laid eggs. The boys came rushing in with a pan holding twelve eggs. By the end of the week, our chickens were very prolific. We were getting enough eggs for breakfast. With the help of the boys, I expanded the chicken pen. I wanted to give them plenty of room. Charlie was the first to tell us that there were peeps in the yard. It seemed one of our chickens hatched a few eggs. I had a mash feeder placed in the pen for the chicks.

“The septic system for the dorm was finished. The first floor was finished, now for the construction. We watched every day as more and more of the building was constructed.

By the first of October, the dorms were finished and ready for occupancy. Everyone selected a room and dorm buddy. The girl stayed in the house.

I had them write their name over the door to their dorm. There were no doors, just a curtain to draw closed. There were two chests at the end of the beds and a hook to hang their suits. When everything was finished, and the boys all had moved in, we had an official opening. I invited all of the people who helped with the construction and who came to take care of the kids. We had a pig roast with homegrown corn on the cob. The boys had made banners and streamed them in the dormitory. ”

“Dale did have his license, so he was now responsible for driving the food truck. We still made a trip to DC once a week. Dale posted a schedule on the board at both parks.

We had invited the mayor and council to the farm for them to see what we have accomplished. We had lunch in the dining hall. Our chefs outdid themselves. The dining hall was more than I expected. The dining table was in the center, but there were computer stations for the kids to use along the outer walls.

 

On the following Saturday, we had an open house, and we served grilled hamburgers and hotdogs. Mom and Dad were here. I had accomplished my goals. Now I needed to focus on the lottery again. I have college expenses in the future to cover.

 

EPILOGUE

I continued my winning streak, which provided enough money to send all of the boys to college. Dale is still with me, and we continue making our trips to the parks. I don’t think the dorm will ever be empty. Our token lady went on to college and married one of the boys. They now have a family and visit quite often.

 

Life has been good to me. I have used my gifts to help a lot of kids. But even if the sun shines every day, there are days when it’s gloomy. Mom and Dad passed away a few years ago, I miss them, but I was glad I could make their last years happy. Life goes on, and now Dale is beeping the horn. I guess he’s ready to leave. I wonder what potential surprises we’ll find tonight.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 30
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

10 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I wish more people were like Jeff.Did we ever find out the girl's name?

No just that she was Carl's sister

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, mikedup said:

Thanks for another awesome and entertaining story really uplifting

You are welcome. I hope you enjoy mob next story

  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Chris L said:

FANTASTIC and heartwarming! "I prefer feel good stories" too! 😉

Me also, I like stories where they end on a happy note.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Like most everybody above, thanks again for another good read of a feel good type story.

I had to binge read this story. Got behind for awhile...On to the next one...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/6/2020 at 9:15 PM, Buz said:

Like most everybody above, thanks again for another good read of a feel good type story.

I had to binge read this story. Got behind for awhile...On to the next one...

That's ok But, you have read it, an author's wish granted

  • Like 2
Link to comment

You do a great job writing stories about helping others and taking kids off the streets. It could have been longer, but I enjoyed every chapter! Thanks. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/10/2020 at 3:07 PM, JeffreyL said:

You do a great job writing stories about helping others and taking kids off the streets. It could have been longer, but I enjoyed every chapter! Thanks. 

you are welcome

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Kev said:

Absolutely loved this story ...:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

You are welcome. I enjoyed writing this story but I enjoy the comments more

Link to comment

Another Great story! I am working my way thru to catch up with your latest one. 

By the way. Do you have a past experience with food trucks? Authors usually like to include things they are familiar with in their stories, and this is the second one so far that food trucks have been a big part of and a few more they have been mentioned in. I have a friend that use to bartend at a restaurant I frequented for a couple of years, and he bought a new food truck and got into the business. But I haven't heard from him in a couple of years now.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..