Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 866 Words
  • 2,717 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Lottery - 5. Chapter 5

“We left a few minutes before 2 pm, which meant we’ll arrive between 5:30 and 6. “When we get to the park, I’d like you boys to check to see if any boys are there. If not, we will move to another place. If you see anyone walking the streets or hanging around a place to eat, and they look hungry, let me know.”

Arriving at the park, the boys left the food truck, I waited. A policeman walked up to the window and wanted to see my permit. I told him I didn’t have a permit. He said I’d need a license to sell food from the truck. I told him I didn’t sell food, “I am here to feed the boys who are living on the street.”

Just then Todd came back to the truck with a boy, “Dad, this is Roger, he’s hungry.”

“Come and give him a sandwich, a carton of milk, and a piece of fruit.”

Then Bob came back with two boys, “Dad, these boys were on the street, begging for something to eat.”

The policeman just looked as the boys were given the food. “Do I still need a license?”

“No, since you aren’t selling, I think you’re okay.”

“Thanks, but you can do something for us. I’ll be here each day at about 6 pm. If you see any of the street kids that need food, send them this way.” He smiled and left. I didn’t know what the results of my words were until the next day.

Todd and Bob worked the area looking for street kids. By the time I was ready to leave, we had served eight boys, not as many as I would have hoped. Maybe I need to change my spot. Todd told the boys about the farm. As I expected, there was some hesitancy on their part. Eventually, they came with us.

Arriving back at the farm, the boys took the new kids under their wing.

The next morning I prepared an elaborate breakfast. I noticed the new boys had showered, and their clothes were a contribution by the boys.

“There were happy faces around the table. “Todd, show the new guys around, including where they can wash their clothes.” I knew they would be shown the pool as the first thing.

“Paul, measure the boys. We need to buy them clothes. I’ll take them this weekend to get their suits, haircuts, and shoes.”

At 2, Paul and Abe joined me on the truck. I restocked the sandwiches, stopped, and picked up a few more cartoons of milk, and we were on our way. As I drove to the park, I saw a line of boys with two police officers.

The officer who was there the night before just smiled, “Do you have enough?”

“I laughed, “I’ll always have enough.” The boys started to hand out the food. A few boys came back for a second sandwich. Paul began to talk to the boys about coming home with him. I was hoping that the tents were up.

We took the boys in the food wagon. They had to sit on the floor. I still didn’t have room for all of them. I gave those extra sandwiches, “I’ll be back tomorrow for the rest of you. Stay in the area, so I’ll be sure to get you.”

Arriving home, the boys took over. The next morning after breakfast, I loaded the new boys in the truck, haircuts and then clothes shopping, this time, I had help. The sales staff pitched in, and in no time, the boys had everything except their suits. The next stop was the men’s store where my original boys got their suits. Again we were helped by the sales staff, lots of smiles.”

“Driving home, I placed an order for 15 large pizzas. They said they would deliver, that was fine with me. I dropped the boys off and headed to the country market. I needed to restock.

When I arrived home, it was evident my refrigerator wouldn’t hold everything. I used the fridge on the truck, some of the items I placed in the basement where it was cool.

“I had a production line going. The boys were making sandwiches. Some were grilling hot dogs. One was heating baked beans. I told him to put them in the oven, giving him a metal pan to hold them. I noticed everyone was smiling. I couldn’t wait until the dorms were finished.

Arriving at the park, there were the boys from the night before and one boy with a girl. Abe went to talk to them. Meanwhile, we were handing out sandwiches, milk, and a piece of fruit. I counted the boys and decided I would take them all. I had room, provided, they sat on the floor.

Abe told me the girl was his sister, and he was afraid for her. I realized exactly why he was worried. So we headed home with a full truck. “Dad, stop! A kid is running after us.”

“I stopped. Abe jumped out and helped him aboard. Now we were loaded. He sat on Abe’s lap while he ate a sandwich.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 19
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow talk about an explosion of needy kids , I think that he will need s second dorm room for girls, great guns for the boys stability at last

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Certainly, the officer was suspicious but once he was convinced of the help the kiddos were getting, he was full on-board to help as well. So glad there are those that look past the letter of the law regarding loitering and look at the heart of the law which usually has room for compassions. Can't wait to see how fast a dorm can be built and what the road ahead holds. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Wow so many needy kids, I'm glad Jeff is helping them.

Once the word gets out, kids will come

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Chris L said:

Certainly, the officer was suspicious but once he was convinced of the help the kiddos were getting, he was full on-board to help as well. So glad there are those that look past the letter of the law regarding loitering and look at the heart of the law which usually has room for compassions. Can't wait to see how fast a dorm can be built and what the road ahead holds. 

All it takes is one rotten apple to spoil the lot. I think most cops are compassionate.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Just now, Philippe said:

As he heard the heavenly voice “Build the sandwich, they will come!”

Yes, and they did come

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

If a cop saw a homeless kid, that kid is getting taken to the station and picked up by a social worker.    That said, I like the meal distribution.  Can you flush out some of the kids (1-2) with maybe a personality, developing a bond, or a physical description?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, GanymedeRex said:

If a cop saw a homeless kid, that kid is getting taken to the station and picked up by a social worker.    That said, I like the meal distribution.  Can you flush out some of the kids (1-2) with maybe a personality, developing a bond, or a physical description?

In the real world, maybe. In stories, that will depend on the author.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

God! You have a way with words... I always fall in love with your guys but now you are making my eyes water at the same time. Loving it!:glomp:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Kev said:

God! You have a way with words... I always fall in love with your guys but now you are making my eyes water at the same time. Loving it!:glomp:

Thank you, have you ever wonder how I k now so much about these boys

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..