Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Art of Being Gay - 16. Pansies

Roy and Chad attend a sporting event and Wes makes a new friend.

Pansies

Chad looked around the arena, once again amazed by its’ size. It wasn’t as big as a stadium, but it was uniquely interesting. The building itself was rectangular and its shape and façade were simple brick and rather ordinary from the outside, except for the dome that rose above it. Roy grinned and pushed the mechanic through the doors first so he would get the biggest impact.

The inside was incredible. It was like an enormous greenhouse with plants growing out of walls and in garden beds jutting out like enormous shelves. That was just the entryway. Huge moosehead ferns hung from the ceiling, which looked like it was made of glass. Chad asked Roy about it, but he just shook his head and kept pushing the other man.

After handing over their passes, Chad stepped past the ticket-taker and into the soft, warm glow of the main arena. The roof was high and arched. Panels of clear glass, a kind of Plexiglas he found out later, let in the rays of the sun. Banks of lights were barely noticeable lined up in between the series of panels. The space had a warm, lush feel about it.

“How do they do that?” Chad asked Roy breathlessly. “It’s freezing out.”

“Some old rich guy from 3M wanted to build an outdoor arena for the winter. All the critics said it couldn’t be done, but somehow he managed it. Look over there,” Roy said, directing the mechanic’s attention to the far end of the field of emerald grass glistening in the light.

“Are those orange trees? I can smell them,” Chad said, taking Roy’s hand. “It’s so fresh in here.”

“They’re citrus trees,” Roy said, “All kinds of them.”

“The grass is real,” Chad said, looking over at the field. “How do they keep the ground from freezing?”

“They piped in the leftover warm air from the incinerator. After the steam has cooled off too much, it is pumped underground to keep the soil temperature stable. Behind the stands are more trees and bushes. It’s a gigantic conservatory of sorts, except you can play sports on the field,” Roy explained. “Let’s climb up and get into our seats. Come on Wes.”

The young man followed, looking around with a mixture of awe and distress. It was almost impossible not to be impressed by the arena, a monument to man’s battle with the elements. Yet, it was obvious Wes wasn’t in the mood for appreciation. Roy whispered to him and pointed behind the stands at the palms. Wes smiled and took his seat. His face started slumping again.

The stands filled up about halfway within twenty minutes. Roy and Chad chatted and pointed out little features of the arena. There was a waterfall in the far corner, past the citrus trees. It could barely be heard as the crowd filled the building. A glint of the sparkling water would flash out every once in a while.

Finally, the teams spilled onto the field. It was the Mayhem versus their Chicago rivals, the Dragons. The Minnesota team won the toss and elected to kick off to the Dragons. The ball sailed about twenty meters or so and then the sortie began, with a bone crushing surge forward by the Chicago team.

“Oh my God, look at how hard they hit each other,” Roy said, wincing and grabbing Chad’s arm. “That had to hurt.”

“If I ever say I want to join the Mayhem, remind me of this,” Chad whispered into Roy’s ear. He loved the way the red haired man would shiver when he did that. It was so cute.

Roy shook the mechanic off him. “You are not joining them, ever.” He looked over at Wes who was watching them in despair. “Remember, we aren’t getting all cuddly today.” Chad nodded and moved away an inch or so.

“I don’t know exactly what’s going on, but it’s pretty exciting, right Wes?” Chad said, clearing his throat.

The pierced boy nodded and wrapped his arms more tightly around his chest. “I guess so.” He looked miserable.

“The guys said we should meet them at Wilde’s after the game. Are you up for that?” Roy asked, leaning over Chad to catch Wes’ eye. “Angus was pretty pumped up we came today.”

Wes shrugged. “I don’t know. I’m kind of tired.”

Roy looked at Chad, who shook his head. Ever since they’d picked the young man up, he’d been rather noncommittal about this whole field trip. Given the events at Thanksgiving, they weren’t surprised. Peterson’s sudden departure and Wes’ breakdown had left them all in a state of bewilderment.

That bright, sunny Thanksgiving afternoon after playing in the leaves…

Wes called Peterson’s phone which went directly to voicemail. Chad called Silas, who didn’t know where the other man was, or so he said. It was then things got even stranger.

Tyrell called to tell Roy that Peterson wanted a transfer. The blond man refused to explain why, but he didn’t want to work at the Chaska store anymore. Tyrell couldn’t supply any answers. Roy had accepted the request with as much grace as he could muster. Lonnie would return to work for him. Peterson was gone.

Wes was a mess.

Adam and Gunner took the young man with them as Roy and Chad went to work that evening. There wasn’t time for either man to sort out the events of the day until Friday afternoon. That’s when Chad told Roy about Peterson’s crush.

“I never led him on,” Roy said, shocked and confused. “Why would he think I wanted him?”

“I thought it was just a crush he had on you,” Chad explained. “It must have been more than that.”

“He was with Wes and…” Roy answered, feeling quite confused. “I never saw it.”

Chad wasn’t sure how to explain. “Remember that day when Peterson told you he was gay? I thought he was going to tell you about his feelings.”

“That’s why he wanted to see me alone,” Roy said. “I wondered about all that.” The red haired man pursed his lips. “I thought there was something he wasn’t telling me. Then he got the call from Wes and you came inside and I forgot all about it. He chickened out then.”

“You never noticed how he watched you all the time?” Chad asked. “I was really jealous.”

“No. Well, yeah I suppose I did, but it was Peterson. He was always a bit odd around me,” Roy answered. “Poor Wes!”

“Yeah, poor Wes,” Chad agreed.

“I never would have dated him,” Roy confessed. “You were the one I had my eye on the whole time.”

“I’m glad to hear it,” Chad said, hugging him tightly. “I thought you had feelings for him.”

“Never, well, not like that,” Roy said.

The weekend flew by after that. The store was a madhouse and Roy fielded a barrage of calls throughout Saturday and Sunday. It was only on Monday afternoon the two men recalled the Thursday rugby game. They promised Adam and Gunner they’d go as a kind of field trip for the group. With Peterson incommunicado, they called Wes.

The young man had flatly rejected going to the game. He had talked with Peterson. The blond man told him it was over. According to Wes, the conversation had been short, terse, and to the point. Peterson didn’t feel they had a real relationship. He couldn’t be around Roy and Chad. There was no reason to drag the whole thing out.

Wes drove to Roy’s house and erupted into tears. After they talked for a little bit, Wes admitted he wasn’t that upset about losing Peterson. He was more depressed that of all the guys he’d ever dated, he’d never thought the blond man would just abandon him like that. In Wes’ words, “Who’d have thought I’d get dumped on a holiday by a cross-eyed nerd like Peterson? Only me.”

So, in spite of his protestations, Roy and Chad dragged him out for the game later in the week. Wes had agreed only because he wasn’t given a choice.

“We’re here Roy Toy,” the men heard from down the aisle. Roy looked up and saw Tyrell and Hugo making their way past the other spectators who grunted at their maneuvers around their legs.

“Making your usual dramatic, late entrance,” Roy laughed.

“It wasn’t me today,” Tyrell smirked. “It was bridezilla here.” He pointed at the heavy-set guy behind him. Hugo smiled and slapped his partner.

“I was ready on time. You had to primp,” the big guy said. “Stop calling me bridezilla. We all know who the lady in this relationship is.”

Tyrell winked at the men. “Not last night I wasn’t.”

“Would you please stop it?” the young man following behind groused loudly. “No one wants to hear about you two doing the nasty.”

Chad stood up and extended a hand. “You must be Tyrell. Good to finally meet you.”

“Hi,” Tyrell said, pushing the hand to the side. He gave the mechanic a big bear hug and kiss on the cheek. “No wonder Roy’s been AWOL these past few months. You’re a hottie.”

“Thanks,” Chad said, pulling away. “Are you Hugo?” he asked the man following Tyrell.

“I am,” Hugo said, thrusting his hand into Chad’s. “Good to see you.”

“This is Wes,” Roy said, gesturing to the younger man. “These are my friends Tyrell and Hugo. They’re getting married in January.”

Wes nodded and gave them a half-smile.

“Quiet one, huh?” Tyrell said. “The little bitch behind us is Jamie. He’s Hugo’s cousin and only agreed to come if we have Bloody Mary’s after the game.”

The tall, gangly-looking young man chuckled and shook their hands. “I have to put up with these two so drinks aren’t optional, they’re a necessity.” He was baby-faced and bubbly. Chad noticed he had on a Mayhem shirt and skinny jeans.

“You must be a fan,” the mechanic said to the young man.

Jamie grinned. “I’m a fan of all big men wrestling around in the mud. Well, except watching Tyrell and my cousin do it. They make me a bit nauseous.”

“Have a seat,” Roy said, pointing next to Wes. “Ty and Hugh, get over here. I saved you a couple of seats so we can catch up.”

Chad saw Wes was scowling at Roy. Jamie didn’t seem to bat an eye though. He plopped down next to the waiter and started gabbing with him like they were life-long friends.

“What’s the score?” Hugo asked, settling into his seat.

“It’s early. Nobody’s scored yet,” Chad answered. “This is our first game.”

“We’ve been to a couple of them,” Tyrell said. “Jamie drags us out every chance he gets. He doesn’t miss a match.”

“What have you been up to?” Roy asked. “Is the wedding all set?”

Tyrell nodded to Hugo. The big guy grinned and answered. “We have the DJ, the venue, the caterer. All that’s left is the flowers and the invitations.”

“He wants us to get married in January surrounded by pots of pansies,” Tyrell rolled his eyes. “Can you think of anything more ridiculous?”

“What’s wrong with pansies at a gay wedding?” Hugo asked.

Chad didn’t know what to say, but Roy answered quickly. “I love it. I always thought calling us ‘pansies’ was a compliment not an insult. Pansies are pretty tough flowers. One year, I had a bowl of them that survived the winter. Why not?”

Chad looked at him in surprise. “They’re not the usual flowers for a wedding.”

“No,” Hugo continued. “In the language of flowers, they mean ‘forbidden love’. For a white man to marry his black male lover, I think it’s appropriate.”

“I looked up ‘pansies’ and the word means ‘thoughts’,” Tyrell said. “I don’t know where you got that information.”

“All the decorations are white. I wanted the yellows, purples, and blues to stand out,” Hugo said. “It will be beautiful and besides, I don’t like cut flowers. The plants at a wedding should be living, like our love.”

Tyrell grimaced at his fiancé. Then, he patted the other man’s hand. “Whatever you want my dear.”

“So, it’s settled,” Hugo said, looking pleased.

“Let’s move down a few rows,” they heard Jamie say to Wes. “If I hear any more wedding talk, I’m going to puke.”

“Hey!” Hugo barked. Jamie just smiled at them and took Wes by the elbow. “I know all about rugby. I can explain it to you.” Wes stood up and followed giving the four men a little shrug. The two of them walked down toward the front rows jostling the spectators as they walked past. A few grunts and snarls were expressed in their wake.

“So is that the kid Peterson was seeing?” Tyrell asked quietly. “He’s really cute.”

“He is. Peterson really fucked him up,” Roy said. “I feel bad for him.”

“Peterson won’t talk about it. All he said was he couldn’t be around you,” Tyrell said. “Did you two…?”

“No. I didn’t even know he felt that way,” Roy said. “Chad told me after the fact.”

Tyrell shook his head. “I don’t know what is up with that man. I’ve worked with him for ten years now and I never had a clue. It’s so strange.”

Roy and Chad didn’t respond. Neither knew what to say to that. Tyrell rubbed his chin until Hugo elbowed him to continue, nodding at the other men.

“Peterson’s changed,” Tyrell said slowly. “He’s more like his old self, before his mother died, but somehow he’s more cheerful now. What did you guys do to him?”

Chad shrugged and Roy looked surprised. “We didn’t do anything except be his friend. We went on our little jaunts and he tagged along. He seemed happier since he started dating Wes. That obviously wasn’t what did it.”

Tyrell shook his head. “No, it wasn’t a guy. I’ve known Peterson for ten years and now he’s suddenly gotten friendlier. It’s so weird.” He paused and looked down at the two young guys, standing at the edge of the field. “I feel bad for that guy, Wes.”

“Well, Jamie will have him distracted for the day,” Hugo said.

“Did you have this planned out?” Chad asked Roy. The redhead smiled.

“I told Tyrell how rough Wes was taking it and he suggested they could help.”

“Jamie’s quite the little slut so he won’t know what hit him,” Tyrell chuckled.

“He’s not that bad,” Hugo said. “Jamie’s getting used to being out.”

“He’s worked his way through half the rugby team already,” Tyrell snickered. “I’m sure Peterson will be the last thing on the boy’s mind by the time your cousin finishes with him.”

Chad and Roy grinned and looked down at the two younger men. Jamie was chatting and wildly gesticulating with his arms, pointing out at the field. Wes kept nodding like a bobble head doll, trying to keep up with him. It was hilarious to watch.

“When I first met this one, he was as ‘friendly’ as Jamie,” Tyrell kidded, poking Hugo in the ribs.

“I was never that bad,” Hugo said.

“I remember when you weren’t exactly unfriendly,” Roy laughed, wagging his eyebrows at his friend.

“I was a virgin until Hugo swept me off my feet,” Tyrell said. “I was a babe in the woods.”

“That’s not what I recall,” Roy replied. “In fact, there was that time…”

“Never mind that,” Tyrell interrupted. “That’s all water under the bridge. You were always at least a few men ahead me in any tallies.”

“Wow!” Chad said. “I didn’t know I was the last in a long line of suitors.”

“We’ll talk later,” Tyrell said with a wink. “Your man has quite the sordid past.”

“Really?” Chad laughed. “I’d love to hear it.”

“Tyrell!” Roy snorted. “What’s in the past should remain there.”

“Alright,” Tyrell said. “Did someone score? We haven’t watched any of the game yet.”

The four men chatted easily and pretty much ignored the game. By the end, Chad felt like Tyrell and Hugo were old friends. They invited them to go out afterwards, but the soon-to-be-married’s had an appointment with a florist. Hugo wanted to go get his cousin, but Chad told him not to bother.

“We’ll make sure Jamie gets home,” Roy said. “Wes looks a lot happier now. It seems to have worked.”

Tyrell and Hugo left the stands.

The crowd all got up and started to leave.

Roy and Chad sat quietly watching them disperse.

Wes and Jamie were laughing and talking with the rugby players. They could see Angus had his arm around Hugo’s cousin and Wes was play punching him. Happy voices drifted up into the stands. Apparently even losing to the Chicago team couldn’t wipe the smiles from their faces.

“Are you ever going to tell me about That Night?” Roy asked, taking Chad’s hand and lacing his fingers through the other man’s.

“I thought the past was the past,” Chad said, his voice low and gravelly. “I’ll tell you about it, if you tell me the real story about you and Boyd.”

Roy turned and looked at Chad’s sad smile. “How did you know?”

“I know you. I know there was more to it than that. You loved him once, didn’t you?”

Roy nodded slowly, unsure exactly how to answer. “I did. I loved him so much. He loved me too, I think. That’s why he gets so upset now.”

“You were young,” Chad said. “It’s allowed.”

Roy sighed and patted his hand. “Sometimes I thought I’d never find love again. I fucked up my one shot with Boyd. In the end, karma would make sure I never had a second chance. Then, I met you. It’s like fate is giving me another shot,” Roy said. “Whatever it was that brought you here, I’m happy about it. No matter how awful it was, That Night gave me another chance to know love.”

Chad sighed. “You know, it’s not that great a story. I try not to think about it.”

“I want to hear it anyway,” Roy said. So his boyfriend began to tell the tale…

Chad couldn’t stop staring at him. The guy was tall, muscular, dressed in a red plaid shirt with cowboy boots and hat. His legs were slightly bowed, probably from riding horses, and his face was impassive as he drank from the long­ necked beer bottle.

He was a stranger. The man was so alluring. He had a swagger he’d noticed when the other man returned from the bathroom. There was also a glint in his eye when Chad bought him that beer. It was a knowing look, one that Chad had never explored before. From time to time, he’d see other men look at him with a look like that. How did other men, men who liked men, know about him, what fantasies he kept secret?

There seemed to be a hidden language, a knowledge of which he was ignorant, between these other men. Chad tried to ask Silas about it, but the English teacher only shook his head. Silas always had this hungry look in his eyes when he talked with him. It was off-putting, especially since he couldn’t mouth the words to express how alike they were.

This stranger, leaning against the bar, had a look that was starving and predatory. Chad’s legs felt weak, his heart was racing. It was like he was a teenager again; hormones had his nerves on full alert. The man came walking over and Chad shifted from foot to foot.

“Do you have a place to go?” he growled into Chad’s ear. “I don’t have much time.”

Chad wanted to shrug him off like the other times this had happened. He wasn’t ready to give himself up before. This guy was different. He realized he’d nodded in response and started walking toward the front door. The stranger was following him.

Chad turned and saw a grin on the man’s face. He could also see Silas staring at him, open-mouthed, his eyes angry. He quickly averted his face and pushed through the door.

The lights of the parking lot were bright that night, brighter than normal. Everything stood out in sharp lines and contrasts. The cool night air tasted sweeter. The breeze felt more delicious as it brushed against his arm hair. All his nerve endings were on fire. He knew he shouldn’t do this. If he did, it would end his life as he knew it.

“My name’s Chad,” he whispered. He touched the stranger’s sleeve. The man grinned, his teeth white and sharp in the glow.

“You have a place,” he answered, voice rumbling with urgency. “I need to get back soon.”

“The trailer,” Chad said, pointing across the vacant lot toward the construction site. “Follow me.”

The stranger never said his name. He followed along as they trotted across the ruts and tufts of weeds. When they got to the door, Chad almost turned and left. The stranger came behind him, pressed his front against the mechanic’s back and kissed his neck.

“I have condoms,” the stranger hissed in Chad’s ear.

That’s all it took. Chad pulled the keys out of his pocket and unlocked the door. He stepped back to open it and felt the white hot bar of the other man’s arousal press against his rear. It was breathtaking.

“In here,” he said, grabbing the stranger’s arm and pulling him inside. He’d barely closed the door when the stranger kissed him, hard, the rough scratch of whiskers brushing his cheeks. The kiss was like lightning, searing him, opening him up. Chad grabbed the stranger’s crotch and squeezed.

“Quick. My ride leaves in fifteen,” the stranger said, unbuckling Chad’s belt. Chad quickly unbuttoned the other man’s pants and was about to kneel before him. The stranger grunted, “No,” and pushed him toward the desk.

“I’ve never…” Chad started, but he couldn’t finish the words. He dropped his pants and assumed the position, his face on the pile of papers in the center of the desk. His breath was making the papers tickle his cheek.

“God, you’re beautiful,” the stranger whispered, touching his backside. Chad heard the sound of a package opening.

The act itself hadn’t even begun when he heard voices. The stranger pulled away, Chad started to push himself up. The door opened and the light came on.

“What the fuck?” he heard his boss say. “Chad? What the hell?”

Chad heard the stranger race past his boss. Chad tried to turn and reach for his pants. He fell. The red face of his boss was all the humiliation he could stand. The tears splashed hot and wet across his cheeks.

Roy kissed Chad on the lips. “No wonder you were such a wreck when I first met you.”

Chad nodded slowly. “It was horrible. My boss fired me. He told everyone about what he’d seen. The whole town knew about me before sundown the very next day.” Chad snorted.

“Wait a second,” Roy said. “You’ve never been with another man before me?”

“No. You’re my first, except for the stranger fiddling with my butt,” Chad blushed. “I hope you’re my last too.”

Roy brushed his cheek. “I was such a baby that night, our first night together. I didn’t know you had never even kissed another man.”

“Nope. You stole my cherry that next morning.” Chad said. “Actually, I was happy it was you. After we made love, the whole disaster of the stranger and that night was washed away. Before then, it bothered me. Now, it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal.”

“I love you Chadder,” Roy said, leaning his head against the mechanic’s shoulder. “Thank you for getting caught and coming up here.”

“I wish it hadn’t been such an awful experience, but in a way I’m glad it happened too,” Chad said.

“Would you two get a room?” they heard, Roy sitting up quickly. It was Wes, standing there laughing at them. Jamie was behind him, his arm curled around Angus’ waist.

“Time for drinks,” the big ginger haired man said with a grin. “I’ve got my groupies so I’m ready to roll.”

Roy and Chad stood up and followed them out. Roy’s hand was clenched firmly in Chad’s. It was like they’d never let go.

********

“Chad and Roy get your arses over here!” Adam called out from the crowded bar at Wilde’s. “You have got to meet these blokes from Chicago. The ‘Drag Queens’ are too funny.”

Roy smiled at Chad and the two of them stood up. “We’ve been summoned.”

The other three men laughed as the pair hurried toward the other rugby players.

Jamie was holding Angus’ hand and wiggling around in the chair. “We should go dancing,” he said. Angus looked at him in surprise.

“We just got here,” the ginger haired man said. “I don’t wanna ditch these guys.” He looked over at Wes who was ripping the label from his beer bottle. “Let’s chill out for a while.”

Jamie pulled the rugby player over and whispered in his ear. Angus blushed and pulled away. “You’re terrible.”

“You guys can go,” Wes said quietly. “I’m fine.”

“See. He doesn’t care,” Jamie said, winking and rubbing Angus’ thigh.

“My legs hurt,” Angus said, pulling away from the young man. “I wanna sit here and relax.”

“You’re no fun,” Jamie pouted. “I’ll see what Brad is doing. I bet he’d go with me.”

“Go ahead,” Angus said, looking at the table. “I’m sticking around here.”

“Fine,” Jamie said. He stood up and sashayed over to the crowd at the bar. He goosed a tall black man who squealed at the intrusion.

Wes cleared his throat. “If you want to go out with Jamie, you should. I really am fine.”

“No. I’m worn out,” Angus said, looking over at the bar. “Besides, he’s already found another victim.”

The two men sat in silence, neither one looking at the other. The uneasiness stretched out, filling the empty space, and finally Angus had to break the quiet before it consumed him.

“I’m sorry about what that guy did to you. I would never do something like that to you, I mean to someone,” Angus stammered. “It was a pretty shitty thing to do.”

Wes looked up and smiled. Angus was watching the television above to his left. It was an infomercial about stocking caps. “He’s pretty weird. I should have known,” Wes said.

“I wish,” Angus said. “I, um…” Now the ginger haired man was staring above Wes’ head. Wes turned and saw it was a car commercial with some singing dogs.

“Were you going to ask me something?” Wes asked.

“No. It’s nothing,” Angus said. He looked down at his hands, picking at his fingernails.

“What’s Sydney like?” Wes asked. Watching the rugby player act so uncomfortable was weird. Angus was a back-clapping, guffaw-spewing type of guy. His behavior was so out of character.

“It’s nice,” Angus sighed. He shifted in his chair, glancing over at the bar. “Did you love him?”

Wes sat back in his chair. “Did I love Peterson? No, I don’t think I loved him. I was rather fond of him, but I don’t have much luck with men. I try to keep my feelings under control.”

Angus grunted at that. “Guy like you probably has lots of dates.”

“Not so many. Say, Angus. Why won’t you look at me when you talk?” Wes asked. He tapped the table. “It’s kind of rude.”

Angus looked up and glowered at the other man. “I can look at you.” Within seconds he was looking at the television again.

“Then why don’t you?” Wes asked. He sighed and started getting out of his chair.

“Don’t go,” Angus said. “I’m sorry.”

“If I’m boring you, I should go,” Wes said, putting his hands on the table.

“I can’t,” Angus said slowly.

“You can’t what?” Wes asked. He could see the big guy’s face was starting to quiver. “What’s wrong Angus? You’ve never been so quiet around me before. We could always talk about work and stuff before. Now you’re acting so strange.”

“I can’t,” Angus said, taking a drink. “I can’t look at you.”

“Is it because I’m such a loser not even Peterson would stick around me?” Wes huffed.

“No.” Angus looked up at him. The guy looked like he was in pain. “If I look at you, I can’t look away.”

Wes stopped moving around in his chair and shook his head. “You’re just saying that.”

“No. I’m scared of you. Before, it was safe. When you were with him, I knew it was safe. Now, all I can think about is how much I like you,” Angus said haltingly. “I can’t stop thinking about you. Ever since I met you, I think about you and how the room lights up when you smile.”

Wes’ mouth dropped open. “Angus, don’t say that.”

“What? When I think about you, the whole world feels like a happier place. Do you know how much I wanted to hunt Peterson down and beat the shit outta him when he ran off. When you cried, I wanted to wrap my arms around you and make it all better,” Angus snarled. He caught himself from moving forward, and slumped back into the chair. “I’m sorry, Wes.”

Wes sat there stunned. “We barely know each other.”

“I know.” Angus wiped his cheeks. “I do this. I scare guys away.”

“You’re a passionate person,” Wes said, touching the other man’s hand softly. “You get so excited and it comes bubbling out. That’s not a bad thing.”

“Can we go out sometime?” Angus asked, his voice a dry husk. “If you don’t want to, I’ll understand.”

“I’d love to,” Wes said. “You’re a very good looking guy and so much fun. I have to warn you though. Men get tired of me.”

“Don’t say that about yourself,” Angus said, leaning forward.

Wes looked at him and nodded. The other guy looked almost as scared as he felt. They both smiled shyly. The room felt a lot warmer all of a sudden. It was like the heat kicked on making both men begin to sweat. It wasn’t the uncomfortable kind of heat. The heat made them want to draw closer and thaw each other’s cold feet.

I want to take this time to thank Valkyrie71 and Huktaunluv for all their work on the story. It couldn't have been done without their suggestions, edits, comments, and a grueling chapter a week pace. I love them both for their help with this story.
On that note, please check out the forum thread for The Art of Being Gay. We are having a blast!!!
http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39364-the-art-of-being-gay/page-11
Copyright © 2014 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 51
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You're a good man Cole! Talk about giving your fans what they want!

Although for half a second I was scared Jamie was going to jump in! That was another one of your usual bait and switch moves which keep the reader guessing and enthralled.

I'm gonna miss the boys when this is over. You've managed to turn a fluffy little piece into a very engaging tale.

 

Stay warm and Mojitos are on me next time!

Link to comment

Oh my God I am absolutely in love with Wes and Angus together! I knew the big guy would just be a big ole teddy bear with Wes. Thank you Cole!!!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 11:10 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
You're a good man Cole! Talk about giving your fans what they want!

Although for half a second I was scared Jamie was going to jump in! That was another one of your usual bait and switch moves which keep the reader guessing and enthralled.

I'm gonna miss the boys when this is over. You've managed to turn a fluffy little piece into a very engaging tale.

 

Stay warm and Mojitos are on me next time!

Why thank you Carlos! I'm glad you enjoyed it!. I do like to keep you readers on your toes. It really is fun. I think those two are good for each other. Now, onto The Snow Ball! ;)
Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 11:15 AM, LitLover said:
Oh my God I am absolutely in love with Wes and Angus together! I knew the big guy would just be a big ole teddy bear with Wes. Thank you Cole!!!
He is a big old koala isn't he? They are adorable. Thanks so much for the review Lilover!
Link to comment

Woo hoo! Big, hunky, adorable, lovable, ginger Angus has finally found his man. Wes deserves this after all the disappointment in his life. Thankfully, Jamie was a red herring and definitely not right for Wes. You didn't kill Peterson off but moving him out will do...and I am even glad he is acting happier back at his old workplace. It doesn't really solve the whole mystery of where Peterson went that day though...but I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

So Chad was a virgin...no wonder their first time was so awkward...at least he's a fast learner :*) . Getting the real story out of Roy shows the trust that they have now...they are so good together. They have both waited a long time for what they have now. This was a feel good chapter, Cole...all my anger has dissipated and I am left with the warm fuzzies...Thanks for a great chapter and delivering the goods...cheers...Gary

Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 12:36 PM, Headstall said:
Woo hoo! Big, hunky, adorable, lovable, ginger Angus has finally found his man. Wes deserves this after all the disappointment in his life. Thankfully, Jamie was a red herring and definitely not right for Wes. You didn't kill Peterson off but moving him out will do...and I am even glad he is acting happier back at his old workplace. It doesn't really solve the whole mystery of where Peterson went that day though...but I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

So Chad was a virgin...no wonder their first time was so awkward...at least he's a fast learner :*) . Getting the real story out of Roy shows the trust that they have now...they are so good together. They have both waited a long time for what they have now. This was a feel good chapter, Cole...all my anger has dissipated and I am left with the warm fuzzies...Thanks for a great chapter and delivering the goods...cheers...Gary

Angus and Wes really give me the warm fuzzies too! I promised a happy ending and we are working towards that quickly. Peterson's freak out at Thanksgiving will be revealed in chapter 18. yeah, Chad really didn't know how tobe gay before he met Rou. He wasn't lying. I'm so glad your anger is gone. Thank you so much for a wonderful review. It's very appreciated Gary!
Link to comment

Well. I don't know. On the one hand, there's this from Wes:

 

In Wes’ words, “Who’d have thought I’d get dumped on a holiday by a cross-eyed nerd like Peterson? Only me.”

I mean, jeez, Wes, if you like someone, you like them, and should the external status markers really matter all that much when you get dumped? I think it's worse that Peterson could barely behave decently half the time, and still wound up dumping Wes. But whatever.

On the other hand? I am so incredibly proud of Chad that he came out of nowhere and went after Roy and got him!!!! GO CHAD! :lmao:MIDDLE-AGED VIRGINS FOR THE WIN! At least in this story :lmao:

Oh and I cackled when it turned out to be a Red Angus.

Link to comment

I'm glad Angus and Wes are going to try--I think it will work for them. What a mean trick, making us think Jamie was going to get Wes! :)

 

Older virgins are rare most times, but if you're from a small town it's not unheard of--I was 23 and a senior in college when I had my first encounter--with my friend I'd known since high school! It was awkward, but he had the experience to make it nice and gentle, going on for several years until he met his future wife.

 

I have never been able to do 'quickies' or casual sex--I need to have that connection and a chance for it to last...the other thing I feel odd in this story is Roy's 'lessons'--okay, Chad should get to know more about the world, but don't try to change him into something more conforming to the gay norm--that can ruin his openness and caring nature. Chad is who he is, and it sets him apart from Roy's previous 'men'...I'd think he'd want him to stay true to himself.

 

Peterson is pretty low--I don't see how you can make me change my mind about what he did...but I'm willing to listen. :)

Link to comment

Who’d have thought I’d get dumped on a holiday by a cross-eyed nerd like Peterson? Only me.”

Yep, that disappointed me too. But then I thought, he is allowed to be bitter. Peterson's behavior was beyond shitty.

Did anyone else think the whole outing Chat thing looked staged? Or did I miss something? :huh:

Anyway, Wes and Angus... Yes!

Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 04:20 PM, Irritable1 said:
Well. I don't know. On the one hand, there's this from Wes:

 

In Wes’ words, “Who’d have thought I’d get dumped on a holiday by a cross-eyed nerd like Peterson? Only me.”

I mean, jeez, Wes, if you like someone, you like them, and should the external status markers really matter all that much when you get dumped? I think it's worse that Peterson could barely behave decently half the time, and still wound up dumping Wes. But whatever.

On the other hand? I am so incredibly proud of Chad that he came out of nowhere and went after Roy and got him!!!! GO CHAD! :lmao:MIDDLE-AGED VIRGINS FOR THE WIN! At least in this story :lmao:

Oh and I cackled when it turned out to be a Red Angus.

Yeah, I think Wes may have a little self esteem issue. But, then many people do. Yeah! For Chad getting some! I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter Irri! And I'm glad you like red angus. That's a win and a win! :)
Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 06:46 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
I'm glad Angus and Wes are going to try--I think it will work for them. What a mean trick, making us think Jamie was going to get Wes! :)

 

Older virgins are rare most times, but if you're from a small town it's not unheard of--I was 23 and a senior in college when I had my first encounter--with my friend I'd known since high school! It was awkward, but he had the experience to make it nice and gentle, going on for several years until he met his future wife.

 

I have never been able to do 'quickies' or casual sex--I need to have that connection and a chance for it to last...the other thing I feel odd in this story is Roy's 'lessons'--okay, Chad should get to know more about the world, but don't try to change him into something more conforming to the gay norm--that can ruin his openness and caring nature. Chad is who he is, and it sets him apart from Roy's previous 'men'...I'd think he'd want him to stay true to himself.

 

Peterson is pretty low--I don't see how you can make me change my mind about what he did...but I'm willing to listen. :)

Thanks so much Columbus Guy! Chad did have a wife and kid, but you are right. Not experiencing anything at all with another man is somewhat rare. I think That Night Chad just couldn't resist. I recall feeling that way before meeting Ran.

 

Such an interesting review! Thanks :) We'll see about Peterson.

Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 06:48 PM, aditus said:
Who’d have thought I’d get dumped on a holiday by a cross-eyed nerd like Peterson? Only me.”

Yep, that disappointed me too. But then I thought, he is allowed to be bitter. Peterson's behavior was beyond shitty.

Did anyone else think the whole outing Chat thing looked staged? Or did I miss something? :huh:

Anyway, Wes and Angus... Yes!

Did it look staged? That's not good. Maybe the next chapter will clear that up. Thanks for the review Addy! :)
Link to comment

Gotta love it when it suddenly feels much hotter.... A big sigh of relief at Angus and Wes getting together....ahhhh! And I would just like to echo Carlos's remark...you've managed to turn a fluffy little piece into a very engaging, enthralling tale!

Link to comment
On 01/05/2015 10:37 AM, charlieocho said:
Gotta love it when it suddenly feels much hotter.... A big sigh of relief at Angus and Wes getting together....ahhhh! And I would just like to echo Carlos's remark...you've managed to turn a fluffy little piece into a very engaging, enthralling tale!
Thank you for the kind words! It did start as a comedy and became more. The characters did it for me! I take no credit for that. Haha! I appreciate it Charlie! :)
Link to comment
On 01/06/2015 05:29 AM, Suvitar said:
Loved the ending, it was so sweet
Thanks Suvitar!! I'm glad you liked the ending. I wanted to portray how awkward it is for guys in the presence of attraction. I don't think with these guys it's just physical either. That makes it much, much harder. I appreciate the review.
Link to comment

Wes doesn't deserve Horace!!! What a shitty thing to do to Wes. Nice, so he's happy back with Tyrell, fine, but he treated Wes like shit, always hot and cold and indifferent. Who needs that?

 

I'm glad Angus confessed his true feelings to Wes. Angus would never treat Wes like Peterson did. For a while there, I thought Jamie was going to try for Wes! I think Jamie would be a blast to have as a friend, but not as a b/f! lol

 

And a big OUCH to Chad!!! I really think Morgan was the one who threw Chad under the bus by telling his boss he was in the trailer with some guy. How humiliating for Chad.

Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 04:04 AM, Lisa said:

Wes doesn't deserve Horace!!! What a shitty thing to do to Wes. Nice, so he's happy back with Tyrell, fine, but he treated Wes like shit, always hot and cold and indifferent. Who needs that?

 

I'm glad Angus confessed his true feelings to Wes. Angus would never treat Wes like Peterson did. For a while there, I thought Jamie was going to try for Wes! I think Jamie would be a blast to have as a friend, but not as a b/f! lol

 

And a big OUCH to Chad!!! I really think Morgan was the one who threw Chad under the bus by telling his boss he was in the trailer with some guy. How humiliating for Chad.

Thanks Lisa. I felt it was important to make a point. Just because we find a cute, interesting gay guy, doesn't mean we love them. They may not be right for us. In fact, the perfect person may be someone who grows into the role.

 

Anyway, Angus is at the plate. Chad had a history with Morgan and will he get past it, for his own sake.

 

Great points Lisa! As always, you make me think which I love!!!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..