Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Art of Being Gay - 17. The Snow Ball

Roy plays some bingo, the guys go to a big gay soiree, and Angus ends up at the hospital.

The Snow Ball

Chad came around the corner and ducked behind the customer service counter. Along the back wall was an array of homemade Christmas cookies and candies. He bit into a gingerbread man and relished the bite of the ginger and a hint of lemon in the frosting. Chad sucked on the little red cinnamon candy as he watched Roy and Madeline handle a couple of customers. They both looked tired and harried with the stress of the season.

It was the perfect night to get his boyfriend away from this store and the madness the holiday always brought with it. The mechanic continued to munch on the cookie as he watched them finish with two complaining women. He stepped closer to them. It was almost time to go.

“That’s right, bitch,” Roy said. “I got a ‘do you know how much I spend here?’”

“I had that an hour ago. I saw a guy in shorts, right over there,” Madeline gloated.

“Damnit! I didn’t see him,” Roy groused. “I only need one more though.”

Madeline shook her head. “Sir, can I help you?” she called over to a bewildered looking young man pushing a stroller, a purse slung over his shoulder. He looked up and gave her a tired smile.

“I’m just looking for my wife,” he said, looking around frantically.

“Aha!” Madeline squealed. “That’s a ‘man-with-a-purse’ and ‘I’m only looking for my wife.’” She held up a piece of paper and smugly announced. “And that means Bingo!”

Roy threw up his hands, grinning from ear to ear. “You cheated.”

“I did not,” Madeline laughed. “I’ll take a Nut Goodie.”

“Fine,” Roy said. Chad stepped forward and caught his eye. “Hey there!”

“What are you guys talking about?” Chad asked. He peered at Madeline’s paper. It was a grid with word and the letters B-I-N-G-O across the top.

“We’re playing retail Bingo,” Madeline said happily. “And your boyfriend owes me a candy bar.”

“What’s retail Bingo?” Chad asked. He picked up Roy’s sheet and looked across the boxes. They listed different things you’d experience in a store setting.

“You see certain customer behaviors and you mark a box. Once you get a line, it’s Bingo!” Roy said sheepishly. “It helps relieve the stress.”

“You play games while working?” Chad chuckled. “I thought you were the boss.”

“He knows it helps ease tension,” Madeline said. “And he sucks at it.”

“I don’t suck at it.” Roy blushed. “I work harder at pleasing customers and spend less time looking for a crying baby.”

“Crying babies at Christmas time are an easy find,” Madeline snorted. “I’d like my candy bar now.”

“Fine,” Roy said, pulling one from under the counter. “I knew you’d win.”

“Don’t you two need to get going?” Madeline asked, munching on her chocolate and rolling her eyes.

“Yeah, we need to get a nap in,” Chad said, smiling and wanting desperately to kiss Roy’s pouting lips.

“A nap? It’s almost eight o’clock. What time is this soiree of yours?” Madeline asked.

“I guess nobody really shows up until midnight or so,” Roy answered. “It’s pretty late after a long day.”

“What is this party about?” Madeline asked, her eyes narrowing. “It’s not the Snow Ball, is it?”

“Yeah, why?” Chad asked.

“You’re going to a circuit party?” Madeline’s mouth dropped open. “I can’t believe it.”

“It’s a benefit for AIDS research,” Roy said primly. “I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Our friend Angus had tickets and his friends bailed on him.”

“You aren’t working tomorrow, are you?” Madeline asked. “It takes a couple days to recover from one of those wild orgies.”

“We’re not going to an orgy,” Roy said. “It’s a dance party.”

“With lots of beefy guys taking ecstasy and having sex on the dance floor,” Madeline said. “I don’t see either of you fitting in at a thing like this. It’s at the Target Center. It’s a big fricking deal.”

“Can we get some service here?” A woman’s irritated voice broke through their conversation. “I’ve been waiting forever.”

“Go take your naps boys. You’re gonna need it.” Madeline laughed at them and turned to the counter. Chad watched as she quickly made a notation on another piece of paper.

“Let’s go,” Roy said. “She doesn’t know what she’s talking about.”

************

Roy couldn’t help but smile as he watched Angus bounce around the room like an over stimulated puppy who was about to tinkle. Wes was almost vibrating with excitement, watching and laughing at the ginger haired man’s exuberance. He looked over to drink in the mirth that Chad was displaying as well. The mechanic was holding his sides and tears were coming out of his eyes from the joy. It was good to see the man so happy. What a different guy he was now. Roy couldn’t contain his own heart, which was full and spilling out at the sight.

“So, this big bloke, at least fifty pounds bigger than me and all muscle, had all these guys surrounding him and clapping. He was doing pirouettes and jazz hands and the crowd was eating it up,” Angus said, his eyes flashing with glee. “It was ridiculous and what a laugh riot.”

“Sounds like quite the party,” Chad said. “Do you think tonight will be like that?”

Angus finally settled down enough to answer, “Probably. I mean, we Aussies know how to party, but there are always a few who let their hair down and really go for it. Even here.”

“We can get pretty wild too,” Wes said, touching Angus and that seemed to make the big guy glow even more, calming him.

“Yeah, I’ve seen you Americans do some pretty freaky stuff too. There were lots of Yanks who flew in for the event in Sydney who got pretty wild,” Angus said, moving closer to the smaller man. “Like you did last night, for example.” Angus growled pleasantly at Wes. In turn, Wes looked up at the rugby player and almost purred in response. Roy thought it looked strangely familiar. It brought him back in time, a sad time, but with some wonderful memories.

Angus and Wes’ behavior was so like Blackie and Snowball. It was strange to compare them, but they were so strikingly similar. After they sent his father away to prison, Roy had been so lonely, missing his dad and feeling left out. He’d forgotten about that time so long ago.

At first, he told everyone at school about his father being locked up. Kids being kids, they had at first been quite nice about it, but that didn’t last. Some of the other boys mocked him and made jokes. It didn’t take long for Roy to completely shut down and pretend his father had gone away on a trip.

That was the beginning of his greatest sadness. He moped and lay around until Kendra finally had enough. She got him a dog, a mutt, with an all-black coat and white on the paws and nose. Roy named the dog Blackie, and shook off his funk. Having a new friend made things seem much less lonely. He and that dog would go everywhere together. At first.

Soon, the blues returned and Roy would lay on the couch staring at the television. Blackie did too. It was like the excited little puppy soaked up all Roy’s sadness and wore it too. When Roy was happy, the dog would bounce around and yap. Then, Roy would remember his dad was gone, probably forever, and he’d feel like all the joy in the world was also gone. The poor puppy would nuzzle his nose into Roy’s armpit and close his eyes. They would just wallow together in the loneliness.

Roy remembered the day his mother came in and felt him for a fever. He wasn’t sick, not physically, but she spoke to him quietly, like he was. After he finally told her what was making him feel so lost and dead inside, she acted. His mother was always such a decisive person. She left and he could still feel how numb and dead he’d felt inside. Blackie cuddled even closer, whining a little bit, seemingly feeling what he felt.

When Kendra returned, it all changed. She came in with a box and sat on the floor by the sofa. “We’ve got Blackie a friend,” was all she said as the box came open under her fingers. “He’s too sad. That puppy needs some companionship.”

A cat, all white with little speckles of red on its face, came bouncing out of the box. The cat was older, fully grown and immediately started looking about the room taking stock of the place. Roy lifted his head and watched. So did Blackie. Both of them silently watched as the cat sniffed and inspected the plants, the chairs, even Roy’s shoes.

“This is Snowball. He’s joining our family,” his mother announced. She picked up the box and left the room. Roy remembered thinking this was silly. Blackie already had a friend, him. What would he do with a cat?

Blackie watched the feline prowling around and then looked at Roy. He yipped and then jumped off the couch to follow the cat around. Snowball turned and looked at Blackie. The cat seemed to have such scorn and indifference about the puppy, twice as big, but shy. When Blackie got close, the cat lifted a paw and bopped him on the nose. The dog pulled back in surprise. Snowball pounced at the dog and hissed as he chased the scared puppy around the room.

Roy sat up in horror. “Look at them,” his mother said from the doorway into the living room. “What a pair.”

“Mom, he’s being mean to Blackie,” he whined.

“They’re playing,” she said. “Look at that.”

Sure enough, Blackie had turned the tables. He stopped, looked back at the cat and lunged at him. Snowball flipped around and started running around the living room; magazines flew as he leaped across the coffee table. Blackie scurried to follow until he’d cornered the cat.

Snowball hissed, arched his back, and then promptly whacked the puppy on the nose. It was like he was saying, ‘you’re it.’ Blackie turned and ran, the cat chasing him with a loud meow.

Roy started giggling. It felt good. Round and round, the dog and cat chased each other until they both tired. Snowball jumped onto the piano and curled up. Blackie curled up next to it, guarding the room from the cat.

“What do you think?” Chad asked, poking him in the ribs. Roy smiled, he missed out on the end of the story. He looked at Angus and Wes, their interactions so familiar. Angus bounced around. Wes would touch his arm or shoulder and the man would relax. Then Wes would start giggling or squirming. The ginger haired man would whisper in his ear or tickle him. Wes would beam at him and settle down. Some living things were just better when together.

Chad threw his arm around Roy’s shoulders. “Have you decided what we’re going to wear tonight?”

“I picked out some things,” Roy answered, feeling the excitement in the room. “It’s supposed to be all white, right?”

“Yeah. All white with some splashes of red,” Angus said.

“You have to let us pay for those tickets,” Chad said. “That’s a lot of money.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Angus said, putting his arm around Wes. Roy could swear the young man cooed at the contact. “Adam and Gunner already paid for the tickets. They bailed so you guys get to reap the benefits.”

“If you’re sure,” Chad said. “What time are we meeting?”

“No one goes until around midnight,” Angus said, shifting and looking at Wes. “We’ll get dressed and meet you there.”

“Sounds good,” Roy said. Chad was smirking at him. He looked at the mechanic with a questioning glance. He just shook his head and mouthed, ‘later’ to him. Roy nodded.

Angus and Wes left after they chatted about their outfits for the evening. Roy wasn’t sure about how this would work. When they agreed to go to the Snow Ball, he’d thought it was a little affair at a hotel or something. The rugby player told them it was a benefit for AIDS research and “The Aliveness Project” so it was a good cause. As it turned out, the gala event was being held at the Target Center where the Timberwolves basketball team played. It wasn’t a small gathering. As Madeline had said, it was something akin to a circuit party with dancers, lots of people flying in from all over, and it was quite the production.

Roy had never attended a circuit party before, but he’d read about them. They were huge events with pretty wild stuff going on. He was a bit nervous.

“We lost you for a moment there,” Chad said after closing the door. “What was going on in your head?”

Roy shrugged, unable to respond at first. It was at that moment Timmy jumped up on the kitchen table and mewled at him, looking him in the eye. Roy petted the cat and sighed.

“I was thinking about pets,” he said. “And how this little guy brought us together.”

“I’d like to think I had something to do with it,” Chad laughed. He moved closer and kissed Roy’s neck. “I was there too.”

“Yeah,” Roy groaned in response. “You were definitely there too.”

They didn’t get much of a nap before they got ready. However, they did relax, at the end.

************

Roy shivered and Chad’s arms pulled him tightly to him. The line was long, but moving rather quickly. They weren’t exactly dressed for the cold, icy night. Roy had on white jeans and a long sleeved white silk shirt. He had on a red bow tie. Chad was wearing white bib overalls and a red undershirt. They were both trembling from the chilly wind that passed through the crowd.

Roy looked back at Angus and Wes. They were turning a little blue. The younger men had opted for far more revealing clothes in honor of the party. Angus had some little white shorts cuffed in red with a white tank top. He had a red rose pinned to one of the yokes of the top. He was shaking quite visibly.

Wes had even less on, if that was possible. His shorts were a little longer than the Aussie’s, but instead of a shirt, he had white fur cuffs and a fluffy collar around his neck. His torso was bare and from his nipple rings hung little tufts of mistletoe. He was hugging himself to ward off the shakes.

“You should have worn coats,” Roy said, watching the two try to cuddle off the chill.

“You’ll be sorry once you get inside,” Angus answered, teeth chattering.

“I doubt it,” Roy said, grinning at the two of them.

In fact, most of the people in line were also attired in rather skimpy outfits, all trembling and bouncing to keep warm. Many of the younger men were also sucking on lollipops, which Chad found odd.

“It won’t be long now,” Angus said, rubbing his hands together with Wes’. “Another five minutes, tops.”

“I see you brought your fathers with you,” a guy said, poking Angus in the ribs. He was wearing an all-white singlet, cut deep down the sides with his asscheeks practically hanging out.

“They’re friends,” Wes said coolly, even as his teeth clanked together.

“Oh, it’s cool,” singlet boy said quickly. “I have my own daddy issues.”

Roy watched as the young guy took the sucker out of his mouth and offered it to Wes. “Wanna lick of my pop?”

Wes shook his head and pulled Angus closer. Angus smiled at the young guy and shook his head too. The young man shrugged and started chatting with his other friends.

“Nice bottom,” Roy heard and then felt as the guy in front of them caressed his butt. He was dressed in white spandex, the top revealing a tightly muscled chest that was cleanly shaved smooth.

“That’s mine,” Chad snarled at the man, brushing him away. “Keep your hands to yourself.”

“Touchy!” the man squealed. “You’re going to have a long night trying to protect those assets.” He threw back his head and laughed. The other two men with him did as well.

“I don’t know about this,” Chad said into Roy’s ear.

“Don’t worry about it,” Roy said. “I’m not letting anyone sample the goods except you.”

“Want some party favors?” they heard someone ask. Roy and Chad turned to see a stunning blond man dressed in a white fur coat and a cherry red speedo. He had his hands thrust into the pockets of the coat and grinned at them luridly.

“I’m not sure what you mean?” Roy said.

“You know, party favors, some Molly maybe?” the man whispered to them, looking over at Angus and Wes. “I bet you boys are ready for some E.”

“He’s got good stuff,” the singlet boy said, gesturing with his lollipop. “It makes the whole party so much better.”

“No thanks,” Roy said. Chad looked at him and scowled.

“What is he talking about?” the mechanic asked.

Angus leaned in, “I think he’s offering us ecstasy, the drug.”

“I don’t do drugs,” Roy said more loudly than he meant to. “I mean, if you want to it’s fine.”

“I’m not taking anything,” Chad said quickly.

“I better not,” Wes said, looking at Angus closely. “It does weird things to me.”

“No thanks,” Angus said to the fur coated dealer. “We’re all good tonight.”

“Suit yourself,” the man said and moved on down the line. Roy noticed most of the people seemed to be happy the man approached them. They giggled and enthused as they exchanged things inside the man’s voluminous coat, moving in for an embrace.

“Thank God, we’re almost in,” Wes said. The men handed over their tickets and stepped into the warm, humid air of the arena. The entryway was all flocked in white, with silver Christmas trees lined along the entire walls. They were decorated with red balls that glistened in the pale lights that glowed from below. The pounding beat seemed to shake the trees, giving them life. Roy could feel the pulse begin to pass through him.

“It’s pretty loud,” he shouted into Chad’s ear.

“Yeah,” the mechanic shouted back. “We’re not even in the main room yet.”

“What?” Angus yelled, touching Chad’s shoulder.

“It’s loud,” Chad hollered back.

Roy looked to see hands all over Wes. Two young guys were flicking at his mistletoe while another was nuzzling his neck.

“Angus, Wes needs some help,” he shouted, gesturing to the ginger haired man.

Angus turned and his face grew red. “Get off him!” he snarled, pulling his date close.

The men looked startled and a little annoyed. Wes looked like he’d just seen a ghost.

“It’s going to be a long night,” Chad said to Roy, his voice reaching a fever pitch.

“Yeah,” Roy said. “Stop that!” he snapped. The guy ahead of them had begun groping his ass, again.

“Dude, go with the flow,” he said, moving closer. “This is a party!”

“Not for you,” Chad yelled, pushing the man away. “Back off.”

“Whatever,” they barely heard as the crowd surged forward. They moved with the throng into the main room and Roy could feel Chad’s gasp.

The arena was filled with dancing lights, flashing and chasing each other. Arising in the center was an enormous ball, almost a cage in glass, with several different levels. These mini-stages inside the huge snow ball were covered in fluffy white materials. Gorgeous men dressed in red g-strings and not much more, writhed and danced to the beat. They would touch each other, simulating a wild coupling, then separate and slide away. They all wore red Santa hats except the one on top. He was dressed in white leather and chained to a post. He seemed to jerk to the deafening pounding of the music. Another man, dressed in a red jock strap, tickled him with a huge red feather on a white stick.

“This is incredible,” Chad yelled into Roy’s ear.

“I know,” Roy hollered back. “My ears hurt.”

It didn’t appear the mechanic heard his last comment. Chad was looking around in a daze as they were pushed by those behind them deeper into the crowd.

The two men looked back to see Angus and Wes pulled over toward the dance floor. They seemed to give into the power of the horde, dancing to the overwhelming throbbing beat of the music.

Roy and Chad found a slight opening in the crowd and slipped through it toward the edge of the multitude. “I can’t breathe.” Roy said, pulling Chad over closer. “I can’t believe it.”

“Wow,” was all Chad said. He looked around again in wonder. Roy felt his heart begin to pound.

“Are you okay?” Chad said, pulling his eyes away from the mass of people dancing and moving almost as one.

“I’m okay,” Roy said, catching his breath. “It’s a bit much.”

“Yeah,” Chad said, taking Roy’s hand. “Don’t let go or we’ll be separated.”

“I won’t,” Roy said, looking into Chad’s eyes. There was shock, surprise, and a good amount of fear in them. “I’ll never let go.”

“Good,” Chad said, biting his lip. “Should we dance?”

“Huh?” Roy yelled.

“Dance?” Chad shouted.

Roy nodded and they moved into the crowd, their hands grasped in one another’s tightly. The crowd pressed around them, pushing them even closer. Roy tried to move to the music, but instead found he was swaying with the mob. There was a tribal rhythm feel to it. The pulsing music was carrying them into a physical void. He could feel hands on him, touching his back, his butt, even his crotch. Instead of fighting it, he became part of it.

Chad was also lost in the beat, his eyes shining now. The fear had dissipated and he kissed Roy, deep and long. It didn’t take long for Chad to jump and pull away.

“Ouch,” he bellowed. “What the...?” The mechanic pulled the red haired man close. “I can’t do this.”

“Let’s go back to the edge,” Roy hollered back. Chad nodded and they managed to squeeze their way through the throng away from the writhing bodies.

“Are you okay?” Roy asked, getting past the edge of the bouncing mob.

“Someone grabbed my balls,” Chad shouted in his ear. “This is too much.”

“Let’s go,” Roy said. Chad looked at him strangely, but he pulled him toward a door marked as an exit. The music seemed to get louder until they got through the door and into the back alley. Even outside, the pounding beat made his skin thump. “What happened?”

“I can’t take all those bodies and that music,” Chad said rubbing his face. “I’m sorry, Roy.”

“It’s fine,” Roy sighed. “I understand.”

“I’m not used to things like this,” Chad said, sticking a finger in his ear.

“Me neither,” Roy said. “I’ll call Wes’ phone and let him know we’re leaving.”

“Good idea,” Chad said, watching as Roy scrolled through his contacts.

“I have a message from Angus,” Roy said.

“Really?” Chad said. “What’s going on?”

Roy listened for a minute, his face began to pale. “Oh shit. He took Wes to the hospital.”

“What?” Chad said, shivering in the cold air, his breath outlined in white under the alley light.

“Wes had some kind of reaction, a fit or something,” Roy said. “He’s on his way to the hospital.”

“Holy crap,” Chad said. “Let’s go.”

***************

“They’re putting him in a room now,” Angus said, his face haggard and pale. “He got quite a gash on his head and they’re worried about another seizure. I can’t believe I put him in the hospital on our second date. But, I didn’t know.”

“We didn’t either,” Roy said, patting the chair beside him. They were in the emergency room waiting room at the Hennepin County Medical Center. Angus was dressed in navy blue scrubs over his outfit. They had mercy on the poor man who wouldn’t stop crying as he waited for news of what happened to Wes.

“It’s not your fault, Angus. He should have known all those bright flashing lights and loud music could trigger his epilepsy,” Chad said. “Don’t blame yourself.”

“I was so scared. I didn’t know if someone slipped him something or if he was having a heart attack or what,” Angus said, sounding so forlorn. “They kept asking me how much ecstasy he’d taken or what other drugs were in his system. Apparently, that is what they usually treat from things like this.”

“It happened right away?” Roy asked. “When you guys disappeared into the crowd, we figured you’d just gone into the crowd to dance.”

“Right after we lost sight of you guys, Wes started to shake, like really bad. I tried to get him to talk, but then he went down in a heap and started convulsing. His head was banging against the floor and I tried to keep it from getting any worse. An EMT came up and we kept the crowd from stepping on him. It was awful.” Angus’ voice was thick with emotion. “I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“He’s going to be fine though?” Chad asked.

“They think so. We can see him after they get him set up in a room. He talked to me,” Angus said. “He doesn’t think it’s my fault and is kind of embarrassed. I told him it was okay. Oh God, I’m such an idiot.”

“Relax,” Roy said. “Let it out.” Angus leaned back in the chair.

“What if he doesn’t want to see me again?”

Roy looked at Chad who promptly shook his head. “Why would he do that?”

“I don’t know,” Angus said, covering his eyes. “This is all my fault.”

“It is not,” Roy said sharply. “Don’t say such things.”

“You don’t know how scary it was to watch him shaking on the floor, his eyes rolled back in his head. All I could do is watch and pray he’d stop. My heart just about burst, mates. He looked so vulnerable and I couldn’t help him.” Angus said, his voice quivering. “I feel like I let him down.”

“Angus, you didn’t know. Hell, who could’ve known except Wes? He worked at a strip club and the lights never bothered him there,” Chad said, patting the ginger haired man’s shoulder.

“The club is nothing like that light show at the arena,” Roy said, shaking his head. “I’m sure Wes didn’t know either. Besides, he’s not going to hold it against you, Angus.”

Angus rubbed his eyes, “Maybe you’re right. I hope so.”

Both Roy and Chad reassured him repeatedly. Finally, the big Aussie seemed to calm down. They waited for another hour until a nurse came and told them Wes was in a room and asking for Angus.

The three men made their way over to the west wing elevator bank. Roy was in the lead, Chad following, and Angus was hanging back at the end. When they got to the elevator, Roy turned. “What’s the hold up, Angus?” he asked.

The ginger haired man looked down at the polished floor and kicked some invisible object. “I’m nervous. What if he’s mad at me?”

“You idiot,” Chad snorted. “He asked for you. We’re the ones tagging along.”

Angus looked up as the idea penetrated his brain. He smiled. “He did, didn’t he?”

“Come on,” Roy said. Angus trotted up and got on the elevator first.

When they got to room 337, it was Angus who opened the door and peeked in. “Hello? Wes?”

“Come in,” a voice said, and the three men went through the door. A male nurse was fiddling with the monitors and marking things on a tablet. “He’s sleeping right now. Which one of you is Angus?” he asked.

Angus stepped forward and lifted his hand. The blond nurse reached over and touched Wes’ shoulder. The young man in the bed started awake and opened his eyes. Wes smiled as he saw the big Aussie. “You came.”

“Of course,” Angus said, stepping quickly to his side. “I’ve been here the whole time.”

“Thank you,” Wes said, reaching over and taking his hand. “Thank you for being here.”

“How’re you feeling?” Angus asked quietly. “Are you in pain?”

“No,” Wes said, wincing. “Maybe a little. Sorry I ruined our night.”

“No, I’m sorry for dragging you to that place. I feel horrible,” Angus said. “You scared the hell out of me.”

“I didn’t know it would affect me so badly,” Wes said, closing his eyes. “My medication has always worked.”

“So you forgive me?” Angus asked, clasping Wes’ hand with both of his.

“Forgive you? You’ve been at my side ever since it happened. No one’s ever done that for me except my parents,” Wes said, a tired smile opened on his lips. “I can’t believe you were there for me the whole time.”

“I was so scared,” Angus said, swallowing hard. “I was afraid you’d…”

“I’ve had these since I was a kid,” Wes said, opening his eyes. “Thank you.”

“Feeling better?” Chad asked, stepping closer. “We came as soon as we got the call.”

“He shouldn’t have called you and interrupted your good time,” Wes said, looking over at Roy and Chad.

“We left. It was too much for us,” Roy said. “You need to rest now.”

“I’m fine,” Wes said, his eyes closing with a grin left on his lips.

“We’ll come back tomorrow, Wes,” Chad said. The young man nodded and turned his head.

“I better go too,” Angus said, putting Wes’ hand down on the bed.

“No,” Wes said, without opening his eyes. “Please stay. Say you’ll stay.”

“Of course,” Angus said immediately. “I’ll pull up a chair.”

“Are you his husband or partner?” the nurse asked softly.

“No, we, um, we’re dating,” Angus said haltingly.

“He’s a lucky man,” the nurse said. “I’ll get you a blanket.” He walked out with Roy and Chad. “What a cute couple.”

“Aren’t they?” Roy said. The nurse waved at them and headed down the hall.

“Let’s go home,” Chad said. The two men walked toward the elevator.

“Angus is exactly what Wes needs. Someone he can count on,” Roy said.

“I know. Peterson probably would have already left,” Chad said. “I’m still pretty pissed at him.”

“Peterson never felt that close to Wes. It was pretty obvious from the way he treated him.” Roy walked into the elevator and the door closed.

Chad looked over at Roy who was watching the numbers count down. “You know I’d do the same for you, right?” the mechanic asked. “I’d be there for you no matter what.”

Roy turned and looked at him. “I know you would. I can trust you. I never realized how important that really is before. Do you trust me?”

“I do,” Chad said. “You’d never let me down no matter what the situation.”

Roy took his hand as the doors opened. A nurse with a rolling cart looked up in surprise. Behind her was an older couple. Their eyes immediately dropped to see the two men holding hands. The man’s lips curled and the woman looked away.

Roy and Chad left the elevator holding their heads high. Chad started laughing and Roy joined in.

“I thought their look would burn holes in us,” Roy said, looking down at their hands.

“It was pretty much the look my boss had on his face when he caught me and the cowboy. It was pure disgust and horror.” Chad picked up Roy’s hand and kissed it. “I don’t care much what people think now.”

“Did you talk to him after it all went down?” Roy asked as they walked down the corridor, their heels echoing in the silent hallway.

“My boss? Yeah. He called me a few days later to apologize,” Chad said. “He was pretty tipsy and let his mouth get ahead of his brain. He even offered to hire me back. I was so embarrassed I said no.”

“That’s strange. What was he doing there that night at the trailer?” Roy asked. “Did Silas call him or something?”

“Nothing that elaborate I’m afraid,” Chad chuckled. “It was an after-work drink at the neighborhood bar. When I left with the cowboy, my boss went over and asked Silas where I was going. The little dweeb told him I picked up a guy. He followed us out to see what the deal was. Needless to say, it ended badly.”

“Silas ratted you out?” Roy said, miffed.

“He was pissed. He thought I’d betrayed him by not telling him I was gay. I kept denying it when he asked. We had quite the discussion about it at Thanksgiving. It was heated to say the least,” Chad said, pushing through the door into the parking garage. “I may have pushed him a little. Silas really did come up to apologize. He knew he’d outted me and chased me off.”

“It wasn’t his story to tell,” Roy said. “What an ass.”

“Yeah, but I forgive him. I’ll never trust him, but I’m not going to hold a grudge,” Chad said.

“No,” Roy said, opening his SUV door. “You wouldn’t. You’re better than that. One of the reasons I love you.” Chad smiled back and climbed in.

A huge thanks to Carlos for suggesting a circuit party as a scene for these guys. He also gave me specifics about these exciting parties. I hope I did his description proud.
Don't forget to comment or chat at the Art of Being Gay Forum Thread
http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39364-the-art-of-being-gay/page-12#entry493632
Copyright © 2014 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 44
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wes and Angus are lucky to have found each other. Angus is a sweetheart and Wes is such a doll! Although Chad's coming out may have been awful for him it lead him to Roy, so I doubt he would take any of it back. (Except maybe if he could spare his son any discomfort). That party seemed pretty intense. No wonder poor Chad and Roy felt out of their element. Lol. Thank you for another great chapter!

Link to comment
On 12/13/2014 11:58 AM, LitLover said:
Wes and Angus are lucky to have found each other. Angus is a sweetheart and Wes is such a doll! Although Chad's coming out may have been awful for him it lead him to Roy, so I doubt he would take any of it back. (Except maybe if he could spare his son any discomfort). That party seemed pretty intense. No wonder poor Chad and Roy felt out of their element. Lol. Thank you for another great chapter!
Thanks so much Litlover! It was a bit much and quite intense. Those guys are quite lucky to have found each other. I'm glad you are enjoying the story.
Link to comment

Aww, the description I've read of circuit parties sounded like fun! And this one sounded totally hellish. I guess the grass is always greener... Sigh. And Wes is a doofus, surely he should've known better! But it's nice that Angus had a chance to prove himself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hey Cole...I was emotional reading this chapter...I just got home from a wonderful evening and was delighted to see a new chapter up. What Chad and Roy have is so beautiful...I don't think I would ever tire of hearing about them. What you are doing with Wes and Angus echoes that and it hit me in the heart...the concern of Angus for Wes...and Wes asking for Angus at the hospital. These are two wounded men that deserve to feel that need from someone else. Not to be philosophical but so many of us get wounded and sometimes it's a hard thing to come back from. It takes finding that right guy that you can count on no matter what...and our foursome have that with their partners. Wes and Angus are at that new, delicate stage but Roy and Chad(sigh) are solid and not afraid to say how and what they feel...that is a huge development in the long dance of commitment. Thank you for making me even happier tonight...I love you for it (yeah, I've been drinking). Tonight you rock! Cheers...Gary

  • Love 1
Link to comment

That was fucking priceless! Cole, you da man!

 

You captured the feel of the party perfectly, how 'outsiders' would react to the excess, how a good man like Angus would react to someone close to him getting hurt and how much Chad has evolved since he Arrived in town all scared and lost.

 

Perfect setting to show the two couples mesh even closer.

 

Thnks for the great read!

Link to comment
On 12/13/2014 04:27 PM, Irritable1 said:
Aww, the description I've read of circuit parties sounded like fun! And this one sounded totally hellish. I guess the grass is always greener... Sigh. And Wes is a doofus, surely he should've known better! But it's nice that Angus had a chance to prove himself.
Thanks Irri! I'm glad the description of The Snow Ball came through well. I've attended raves in the late eighties but never a circuit party. I have Carlos' excellent vision to guide me. Things don't always turn out as we think! :)
Link to comment
On 12/13/2014 08:20 PM, Headstall said:
Hey Cole...I was emotional reading this chapter...I just got home from a wonderful evening and was delighted to see a new chapter up. What Chad and Roy have is so beautiful...I don't think I would ever tire of hearing about them. What you are doing with Wes and Angus echoes that and it hit me in the heart...the concern of Angus for Wes...and Wes asking for Angus at the hospital. These are two wounded men that deserve to feel that need from someone else. Not to be philosophical but so many of us get wounded and sometimes it's a hard thing to come back from. It takes finding that right guy that you can count on no matter what...and our foursome have that with their partners. Wes and Angus are at that new, delicate stage but Roy and Chad(sigh) are solid and not afraid to say how and what they feel...that is a huge development in the long dance of commitment. Thank you for making me even happier tonight...I love you for it (yeah, I've been drinking). Tonight you rock! Cheers...Gary
I love you too Gary, and I'm not drinking! Haha! I'm glad it worked. I wanted to show another facet of gay life and how our relationships develop. That seems to be working. Many of us are wounded and it does take special care to feel and grow that bond. The guys are on parallel paths. Different sights but similar roads. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the very insightful review. It's much appreciated. :)
Link to comment
On 12/13/2014 11:20 PM, Carlos Hazday said:
That was fucking priceless! Cole, you da man!

 

You captured the feel of the party perfectly, how 'outsiders' would react to the excess, how a good man like Angus would react to someone close to him getting hurt and how much Chad has evolved since he Arrived in town all scared and lost.

 

Perfect setting to show the two couples mesh even closer.

 

Thnks for the great read!

I'm jumping up and down and yelling! I was very anxious about whether I'd captured your excellent description accurately enough. It feels like I did! Yeah!!! That makes my day. All the guys have changed. I'm so pleased it worked. Thanks so much Carlos for the suggestion and the fantastic help. This was your chapter. :)
Link to comment

So it starts with some harmless bingo, then a big party later in the evening and boom the drama begins. I have to admit I get claustrophobic just thinking of it. Well at least now we know Wes and Angus finally found their right man. Who needs P... :pissed:

Cats chasing dogs and vice versa? Oh yes, saw that thirty minutes ago...I loved it. Great chapter.

Link to comment
On 12/14/2014 08:02 AM, aditus said:
So it starts with some harmless bingo, then a big party later in the evening and boom the drama begins. I have to admit I get claustrophobic just thinking of it. Well at least now we know Wes and Angus finally found their right man. Who needs P... :pissed:

Cats chasing dogs and vice versa? Oh yes, saw that thirty minutes ago...I loved it. Great chapter.

Haha!! I liked the crowds when I was younger. Now, not so much. I wanted one more peek into Roy's past to tie up his character. That memory was fun to portray. Thanks so much Addy!
Link to comment

Loved this chapter too, and I would have freaked at the party also, not due to an epileptic seizure, but because I can't stand intense volume on any sort of music, and that and the lights would have spelled instant headache. The crowds sound like they might have been fun for some innocent groping, but not the rest of it.

 

So glad for Wes and Angus! More please!

Link to comment
On 12/15/2014 07:00 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Loved this chapter too, and I would have freaked at the party also, not due to an epileptic seizure, but because I can't stand intense volume on any sort of music, and that and the lights would have spelled instant headache. The crowds sound like they might have been fun for some innocent groping, but not the rest of it.

 

So glad for Wes and Angus! More please!

Thanks ColumbusGuy! Yeah, too intense is exactly it. There was a time when I was all for it. I wanted the music to run through me but no more. I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)
Link to comment

And I thought this story was winding down! More excitement. Wes and Angus are a great couple. The circuit party did not sound like fun. I love loud music and light shows but I need my personal space most of the time. Hope Wes recovers quickly.

Link to comment
On 01/05/2015 11:01 AM, charlieocho said:
And I thought this story was winding down! More excitement. Wes and Angus are a great couple. The circuit party did not sound like fun. I love loud music and light shows but I need my personal space most of the time. Hope Wes recovers quickly.
It's coming together! We have a couple of pieces yet to finish. I used to like loud music. Now it just hurts my ears! Lol! Thanks Charlie. :)
Link to comment
On 01/06/2015 06:28 AM, Suvitar said:
Wes and Angus really are a cute couple, but so are Chad and Roy :wub: Totally loving this story :thumbup:
Thank you for loving it. I had so much fun with it. These characters just took off and I had trouble keeping up. Hahaha!!! Thanks Suvitar. That means a lot.
Link to comment

Madeline's description of a circuit party really sounded like fun!! :2thumbs: It probably would have been a lot of fun minus all those people! lol Too many people for sure!

 

I'm so glad Angus was there for Wes...I know he's not the type who would just take off at the first sign of well, anything. Not like that db Peterson.

 

The flashback with Roy and Blackie and Snowball made me cry. Roy was such an unhappy kid, with his father behind bars. So sad. Kendra is something else though. First she gets him a puppy and then she gets the puppy a cat! lol I'm glad she (and the pets) were able to put a smile on little Roy's face. :)

Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 06:14 AM, Lisa said:

Madeline's description of a circuit party really sounded like fun!! :2thumbs: It probably would have been a lot of fun minus all those people! lol Too many people for sure!

 

I'm so glad Angus was there for Wes...I know he's not the type who would just take off at the first sign of well, anything. Not like that db Peterson.

 

The flashback with Roy and Blackie and Snowball made me cry. Roy was such an unhappy kid, with his father behind bars. So sad. Kendra is something else though. First she gets him a puppy and then she gets the puppy a cat! lol I'm glad she (and the pets) were able to put a smile on little Roy's face. :)

Thanks so much Lisa. I love how you analyzed this chapter. This is an enactment of the right people being a boon to your life. Kendra's there for Roy. Angus is there for Wes. Madeline is there for both Roy and Chad. Blackie and Snowball were there for each other.

 

I'm thrilled you saw it. Thank you!!!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..