Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Art of Being Gay - 1. Signs

The character sketch for Chad can be found in my prompts found here in a vignette called "The Truck."
http://www.gayauthors.org/story/cole-matthews/dinnerisprompt-lyateight/8

Signs

Chad looked up at the cracks in the ceiling and thought the shape of the stain right above him looked an awful lot like Greenland. The late evening sun was just peeking through the worn, lime green curtains he’d tried to close but couldn’t. He supposed they had shrunk from years of washing. There was still the faint smell of stale smoke that wafted out of the mattress he was laying on whenever he moved. His few things were put into the rickety pasteboard stand-alone wardrobe and scarred wooden dresser missing two drawers.

“What the hell am I doing here?” he asked the spider busily spinning a web in the corner.

It had been quite the day so far. In the wee hours of the morning he’d put his few clothes and personal items into the back of his 2000 Chevy Silverado and headed north from Council Bluffs. By the time he reached Minneapolis, his courage had begun to ebb. Downtown Minneapolis was a massive sea of asphalt and skyscrapers and any green space looked as cramped and overwhelmed as he felt.

Uptown was worse. It was also crowded but with shiny, young, hip people who stared with contempt at his truck and his jean jacket. He’d be turning forty next month and looked it. These people were dressed so strangely, men in Capri pants and women in dresses that looked like flour sacks. The rents demanded in the neighborhood were ridiculous compared to home. Studio apartments in Council Bluffs were around $500 a month and here they topped a thousand bucks without parking. Chad felt out of place and more alone than he ever had, even after That Night.

Later in the afternoon, he climbed into his truck and headed south ready to go back home to Iowa. Along the way, he saw this house in Chaska. It was set back from amongst the rows of identical townhouses and single family homes into a copse of trees. It looked as secluded as he felt and there was a sign that said “Rooms for Rent.”

He took the sign as his sign he might have found a place to find himself. So, here he lay on a borrowed bed in a room that had seen better days trying to figure out why he was here. Chad thought again about his reasons for coming here and the voices returned to remind him.

“How could you embarrass the family so bad,” his sister Shelly cried. “I mean, if you chose to be gay, at least be quiet about it. Don’t make everyone look at us that way.”

“I don’t know what to say to you. Do you know what this will do to your son? I don’t care much about how it appears. But, this isn’t how I raised you. Now your son will bear the burden of your behavior.” That was his mother. She at least talked to him. His father’s silence was deadly as it filled up a space in his heart with a bubble that wouldn’t burst. It pressed on him and wouldn’t deflate.

“I always knew there was something wrong with you Chad,” his ex-wife Eileen laughed. It wasn’t a pleasant laugh either. “Justin is sick about it, what you did. You’ve always been a selfish man. Now we know why.”

Chad pulled his mind away from the tape that played over and over in his head since That Night. Sometimes his boss’ voice or one of his friends’ comments would join this family’s scolding.

The only voice that calmed him, sustained him, and gave him some measure of courage was his son’s. Chad’s mother was wrong. Justin supported him from the beginning. Even the day after, Justin hugged him and smiled at him.

It was his son’s advice that he took to come up here to the Twin Cities and ‘find himself’. Like some flower child or new age therapy patient, Chad accepted the premise and fled his home.

How would he figure out how to be gay out here in the outer suburbs? That part hadn’t resolved itself but he couldn’t live in the city. It was too close, too crowded, and most of all there was no real space to breathe.

Chad knew gay people lived in Chaska, he’d met one, once. If there was one, there had to be more. It wasn’t like in Council Bluffs where there weren’t any happy gay people, not like on T.V. and the movies. The gay people in Council Bluffs were pathetic, lonely, isolated beings without a life to call their own.

Like Peggy, the rail thin tattoo artist and her ‘roommate’ Jeanine. Peggy had a voice like a man and always seemed grouchy and sore about something or another. Chad supposed Jeanine, who worked as a cashier at the IGA grocery store, seemed a little happier even though she appeared really tired all the time.

There was Steven, the Methodist church organist. He lived alone, had a huge garden, and stayed mostly to himself. Once in a while, he’d duck into the same local bar Chad hung out in for a brew. Not that Steven drank beer. He drank vodka soda with a twist of lemon. Chad knew only one other salient fact about Steven’s sad, solitary existence. Every month on the third Thursday, a truck would park down the street from the organist’s house. It would stay there throughout the weekend until Sunday morning.

Chad stopped and thought about it. It was weird. Those were the Sundays when Steven’s organ playing would be the best. Usually it was technically good, if boring. But on those Sundays, the organ would take on a new life. He’d bang and tease a little extra kick to the hymns, such as they were. Still, Chad couldn’t imagine a duller, more lifeless existence.

Unless it was the high school English teacher, Silas Morgan.

Silas was a regular at the Steam Engine, their little neighborhood bar. A better example of a bitter old queen could not be found. Silas’ tongue was as sharp as a razor blade though it cut much deeper. He was only a few years ahead of Chad in school, went to college, and came back to teach. Each year he worked with kids, Silas became more harsh and dismissive. Chad talked to him once in a while until his negativity finally became too oppressive to bear.

“You know dad, gay means happy too,” Justin said to him. “You don’t have to be miserable all the time.”

That’s why he was here, Chad decided. His son talked him into going someplace else to discover his gay side. He’d run from it, hidden it away, and all to no good use. In the end, it had come bursting out in a blaze of disgrace that poisoned all his relationships and distanced himself from his community.

Chad heard and felt his stomach growl. The little microwave with neatly stacked cans of soup and vegetables on top of it beckoned him. He resisted them. It had been a long, rough, soul sucking day. Chad put on his shoes and grabbed his wallet and keys. He’d seen a little café up the road. Maybe he could have a modest meal there.

*************

Chad whistled to a Garth Brooks song playing on the radio. He drove around the old section of town, finding his way through the streets lined with old oak trees. The man was about to get onto the highway back to the rooming house when he saw the sign. It was the second of the day and this one was just as promising.

“Minnemart is now hiring stockers and warehouse personnel. Apply in person.”

He needed work. He had no contacts here with construction companies or mechanical servicing firms. Maybe a mindless job would give him the time and energy to figure his shit out. It was worth a shot.

Chad turned into the parking lot of the big box store. The light poured out from the gigantic front windows drawing him in. He put the Silverado into park and stepped out into the light that bathed him in promise. Eating a steak and baked potato had calmed him, made things not quite as daunting. He headed into the store.

Behind the service counter was a woman with fading brown hair. She was tall, almost as tall as he was, and was talking with a man with shortly cropped red hair. His face was animated and his arms flailed about. The woman laughed and he chuckled along with her. They looked happy. That was a good sign.

“Can I help you?” the woman asked as he approached.

“I saw you were looking for help,” Chad said. “Could I get an application from you?”

“Sure thing. My, you are a big guy aren’t you?” she said ripping a preprinted sheet from a pad. “I like ‘em big.”

The other man scowled at her then looked quickly back at his clipboard.

“Are you single, married, looking for some fun?” she asked chewing on some gum quite vigorously.

The man ignored her though his face was slightly pink. Chad guessed he was embarrassed by her forward talk, but it didn’t bother him.

Chad’s instinctual impulse was to flirt back making her blush and stutter. Then, he remembered why he was here. It wasn’t to continue his life of lies. It wasn’t to pretend to be a single man on the hunt for a woman. This response would change everything. He was sure of it. Chad thought about his son’s comments and questions to him. He needed to be brave and show his son that courage doesn’t come from comfort. Courage comes from facing adversity dead on.

“Sorry ma’am. I’m gay,” he said. The words hung there in the air. It was the first time he’d ever said them to a stranger. He had to admit it to his boss, his ex-wife, his son, his parents, and all his shit-kicking friends. When he’d done it then, devastation followed, well except with Justin. Now, he laid his soul bare to a stranger and it felt liberating, though his breathing accelerated as he waited for a response.

She sighed. “Well, that’s too bad. I guess this one’s for you, boss.”

The man looked up at Chad. His expression remained blank, though the pink of his cheeks grew rosier. He never said a word but a tiny smile graced his lips. Chad thought that smile made his whole day worthwhile. First day in a new town and he’d already found a like soul. His chest constricted.

“Fill that sucker out and bring it back. We’ll call people later this week for interviews.” The woman looked completely disinterested in Chad now. She was punching buttons on her computer.

“Do you have a pen?” Chad asked.

“Oh sure honey,” she grinned at him. “Here you go. My name’s Madeline by the way. Hope you get the job.”

“Thanks,” Chad said. He walked over to a small table with two chairs and began filling out the application. It didn’t take long. He’d only had one job his whole life, well, since he was in high school. He worried that might be a problem. What if Stan blackballed him, gave him a shitty reference.

It’s only Minnemart, he reasoned. No reason to start trouble with yourself.

He returned the application to Madeline and Chad noticed the man had disappeared. She thanked him again and he went back outside. It had been a long day and his bones ached, urging him toward his lonely, single bed. Chad drove back to the boarding house slowly though. There was much to take in.

Next up, meet Roy. He's given up on love. You can find a taste of his past in the prompt "A Kiss Goodbye."
http://www.gayauthors.org/story/cole-matthews/dinnerisprompt-lyateight/7
This story will be posted chapter by chapter before the next chapter is written. I'm trying to be more spontaneous and let the story unfold. Let me know what you think!!
Copyright © 2014 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 57
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I remember loving this prompt and was hoping you'd do a follow up. Chad is so lucky as most kids feel quite the opposite of Justin (initially). This story will force me to take a closer look at Minnesota and Iowa geography because I have no idea where any of those places are except for Minneapolis of course.

Can't wait for more

Link to comment

Loved the first chapter, Cole. :)

 

I give Chad a lot of credit - he's so brave starting all over in a new town where he knows no one. Well, now he knows Madeleine and Redhead Guy. :)

 

Now I have to go read your other prompt. :P

Link to comment
On 08/10/2014 04:29 AM, C.K. said:
I remember loving this prompt and was hoping you'd do a follow up. Chad is so lucky as most kids feel quite the opposite of Justin (initially). This story will force me to take a closer look at Minnesota and Iowa geography because I have no idea where any of those places are except for Minneapolis of course.

Can't wait for more

Justin is a pretty special kid. His relationship with Chad is very close. They are friends I think, as well as father/son. Justin will be an integral part of the new story. He'll be far away but ever present. Thanks so much for the review CK! :)
Link to comment
On 08/10/2014 05:05 AM, Lisa said:
Loved the first chapter, Cole. :)

 

I give Chad a lot of credit - he's so brave starting all over in a new town where he knows no one. Well, now he knows Madeleine and Redhead Guy. :)

 

Now I have to go read your other prompt. :P

It's scarier coming out to yourself than anyone else I believe. Stepping out from the familiar closet as a mature adult takes some getting used to. After all, closets can be stifling but also cozy and safe. I'm so glad you're enjoying it Lisa. Thanks!
Link to comment

Excellent 1st chapter of this story. It looks like the characters will be quite interesting. Cannot wait for more!

Link to comment

Awesome first chapter, Cole! :great: Not everyone is blessed with having the kind of relationship Chad and Justin have together. I can't wait for the next chapter. I so want to know what happened...that night!

Link to comment
On 08/10/2014 07:30 AM, JimP said:
Excellent 1st chapter of this story. It looks like the characters will be quite interesting. Cannot wait for more!
Thanks Jim! They will be interesting and in Chapter 2 you'll see some quirkiness as well. I appreciate the review. :)
Link to comment
On 08/10/2014 07:36 AM, huktaunluv said:
Awesome first chapter, Cole! :great: Not everyone is blessed with having the kind of relationship Chad and Justin have together. I can't wait for the next chapter. I so want to know what happened...that night!
Haha! Thanks Huk! We probably won't hear about that night soon, but Ty's coming. I'm writing the second chapter tomorrow. Coming to you soon! :)
Link to comment

I've often wondered....just why is it so important to anyone as to what anyone's sexuality has to do with them as a person. Frankly, most people spend very little time having sex...sure we all think aout it during our day but really it is not the only thing that defines us...gay or straight or anything in the middle.

It makes me upset that a grown man, Chad, felt that he had to leave his home, family and friends in order to find himself. Shame on those who make it intolerable for Chad, making him feel that he must leave everything in order to find himself and happiness.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now....LOL...eagerly awaiting the next chapter and hoping that we get to ultimately see the butterfly emerge from his cocoon....Great beginning............Mike

Link to comment
On 08/10/2014 11:52 AM, dughlas said:
Off to a good start. I'm curious to see where you lead us.
Thanks Dghlas! I hope you enjoy what comes next. Roy will add add a certain flair to the story. That's for reviewing and reading! :)
Link to comment
On 08/10/2014 12:16 PM, flamingo136 said:
I've often wondered....just why is it so important to anyone as to what anyone's sexuality has to do with them as a person. Frankly, most people spend very little time having sex...sure we all think aout it during our day but really it is not the only thing that defines us...gay or straight or anything in the middle.

It makes me upset that a grown man, Chad, felt that he had to leave his home, family and friends in order to find himself. Shame on those who make it intolerable for Chad, making him feel that he must leave everything in order to find himself and happiness.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now....LOL...eagerly awaiting the next chapter and hoping that we get to ultimately see the butterfly emerge from his cocoon....Great beginning............Mike

Identity is an interesting concept. Chad has never thought of himself as gay until now. It's a part he's kept hidden. Now he has to face that part of his feelings. Do others hate him for that part or resentment because they never really knew him? I'm not sure.

 

Chad doesn't know what being gay means. I love your analogy of the butterfly and cocoon. It's very apt.

 

Thank you for enjoying this chapter and your comments. It's fascinating stuff. :)

Link to comment

When you've got child support "pun intended", that's a little extra umph. LOL In support of his dad, Justin gave some good advice. If he'd stayed put, he would've wound up like some of the other gay citizens sad and miserable. At least he's taking his chances. Can't wait to see Roy join the plot. :)

Link to comment
On 08/12/2014 05:07 AM, joann414 said:
When you've got child support "pun intended", that's a little extra umph. LOL In support of his dad, Justin gave some good advice. If he'd stayed put, he would've wound up like some of the other gay citizens sad and miserable. At least he's taking his chances. Can't wait to see Roy join the plot. :)
Hahahaha! That is a good pun! Very apt! Next chapter we will truly meet Roy. Oh, and Roy's mother too. She's...well you'll find out.
Link to comment

Yes I want to know about Chad: how he figures things out. The thing is I want to know more about Steven, the Methodist church organist too. So even if he isn't the main character, you might let me know in passing?

Very promising first chapter.

Link to comment
On 08/21/2014 05:44 AM, aditus said:
Yes I want to know about Chad: how he figures things out. The thing is I want to know more about Steven, the Methodist church organist too. So even if he isn't the main character, you might let me know in passing?

Very promising first chapter.

Thanks Addy! You will get to know a lot about Chad and i think we'll find out more about Steven too. Who knows!
Link to comment

Roy! Oh no, not Roy, Cole. :o He was whiny. He had no self-esteem. What are going to do to poor Chad, Cole? Hasn't he suffered enough? :/

 

Unless . . . Roy has grown a pair since we last heard about him. Please say you've given him a backbone. Please?

Link to comment
On 08/23/2014 10:09 AM, Ron said:
Roy! Oh no, not Roy, Cole. :o He was whiny. He had no self-esteem. What are going to do to poor Chad, Cole? Hasn't he suffered enough? :/

 

Unless . . . Roy has grown a pair since we last heard about him. Please say you've given him a backbone. Please?

Hahaha! Oh, Ron, do you have so little faith in me? :) Chad's going through a rough time. Roy had his own issues, well, has issues. I hope you enjoy what's to come!
Link to comment

I was waiting for this story to be complete before I dove in but I got curious. Dammit...you got me on this first chapter. You gotta love a guy who talks to a spider. I didn't read the prompt for this character so I am going in blind but I already have the details. For some reason, I am not worried that this will be a depressing journey although Chad is in a bad place right now. It just has a uplifting feel already...a forty year old man accepting who he is with the solid support of a loving son...having the guts to move and start over...I'm in. I have the song lyric "don't bring me down, don't BRING..ME..DOWN" rolling around in my head right now, maybe because it seems like that is what Chad is doing...those negative voices of family and friends will destroy you " if you let them, but don't you let them" (hey...another song in there now) ...leaving those voices behind. I am definitely getting carried away but one more thing...I am kind of tired of reading about kids...I am interested in reading about this forty year old and HIS journey...Cheers...Gary

Link to comment

LOL I could have started with the exact same sentence as Headstall did :read:

 

Poor Chad! Starting his life again and only his son is supporting him and he had to leave him behind. Chad seems like a very pleasant man so he shouldn´t have trouble finding new friends.

Link to comment
On 09/26/2014 02:23 AM, Headstall said:
I was waiting for this story to be complete before I dove in but I got curious. Dammit...you got me on this first chapter. You gotta love a guy who talks to a spider. I didn't read the prompt for this character so I am going in blind but I already have the details. For some reason, I am not worried that this will be a depressing journey although Chad is in a bad place right now. It just has a uplifting feel already...a forty year old man accepting who he is with the solid support of a loving son...having the guts to move and start over...I'm in. I have the song lyric "don't bring me down, don't BRING..ME..DOWN" rolling around in my head right now, maybe because it seems like that is what Chad is doing...those negative voices of family and friends will destroy you " if you let them, but don't you let them" (hey...another song in there now) ...leaving those voices behind. I am definitely getting carried away but one more thing...I am kind of tired of reading about kids...I am interested in reading about this forty year old and HIS journey...Cheers...Gary
Thanks Gary!!! This story will not be sad or negative or have horrible things happen. It's going to be lots of fun, some things happy, some uncomfortable, but nothing down. It's my tonic. I'm glad you're hooked.
Link to comment
On 09/26/2014 04:08 AM, Suvitar said:
LOL I could have started with the exact same sentence as Headstall did :read:

 

Poor Chad! Starting his life again and only his son is supporting him and he had to leave him behind. Chad seems like a very pleasant man so he shouldn´t have trouble finding new friends.

Chad has had his troubles but they are in the past at this point. He needs some guidance and new experiences, but they will be fun ones. Well, he will have a few bumps along the way. Thanks Suvitar!!!
Link to comment

Your writing is very vivid and captivating. Nothing to chew on or stumble over, a smooth and catchy read so far. Great job!

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..