Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Art of Being Gay - 18. Do You Hear What I Hear?

And so Christmas season comes, and with it the usual gatherings and the pressures they supply us. In this case, we get one last glimpse of the guys and how others have affected their lives. Come, have a peek into what others are saying about them.

Do You Hear What I Hear?

Tony stomped hard onto the porch floor shaking loose the snow that encrusted his boots. He brushed his green John Deere coat and then banged his Green Bay Packer hat against his jeans, the white stuff flying off the cap. He carefully brushed the last flakes off and put it back on his head. Sure, it was old and stained, but it was his favorite. Tony only then opened the front door and let the delicious warmth and scent of cinnamon apple candles greet him.

“Mom, you got any coffee for your freezing elf?” he called out. In the background there was Christmas music playing, it sounded like The Little Drummer Boy, one of his favorites.

“Come on in,” she called back. “Your dad and I are in the kitchen finishing things up.”

Tony took off his coat and hung it on the peg. He tugged off his boots and put them on the rug next to the radiator. In stocking feet, he padded down the hallway to the kitchen.

“All done,” he said, entering the bright, cheery space. His father was sitting at the table, a cup of something warm in one hand, the other hand laying on his thigh. He looked over and gave his son half a smile. The other side of his face was slumped and waxen.

“Thanks,” he said, licking his lips.

“No problem. The driveway is blown clear with plenty of space for everyone to park,” Tony said, rubbing his hands together.

“You’re a gem,” his mother said, pointing at the coffee maker. “Help yourself. I just made a fresh pot.”

“Don’t mind if I do,” Tony said. “Are you ready for the herd?”

His mother laughed and continued carefully placing the vegetable sticks on the platter around a bowl of creamy tan concoction. Tony knew it was his mom’s famous clam dip. He walked over and grabbed a carrot stick off the neatly aligned pile. “Stop that,” she scolded, slapping his hand.

“Why are you going to so much trouble, Mom? That’s your wedding china,” Tony said. “It’s family and Patrick’s boys will have your good plates all chipped before supper even starts.”

“Evan and Kale are good kids. They know how to behave,” she said. “It’s a special occasion.”

“Yeah, it’s Christmas Eve, so?” Tony said, lifting his eyebrows in return. “You shouldn’t go to so much trouble for us.” Tony wanted to look over at his dad, but he didn’t. He didn’t want his father to think he was directly referring to his stroke. Therapy had started to help, but the man was still having trouble getting his face and arm to work right. He could walk unassisted, which helped. There were plenty of things he couldn’t do right now and sometimes Tony worried his mother was overwhelmed.

“Your brother’s bringing a guest,” she finally said, putting the last floret of cauliflower in place. “I’m not serving Christmas Eve supper on paper plates when we have company.”

“Oh God,” Tony moaned. “I hope he’s not like Scott.”

“I don’t think so,” his mother said. “Sounds like this guy is very good to him. Wes had one of his fits and this man stayed with him the whole time.”

“He better be,” Tony said, taking a drink of his coffee. “That so-called boyfriend wouldn’t even pick him up from the hospital that time.”

“Scott wasn’t the most thoughtful man,” she said, taking out a plastic container from the fridge. “He broke Wes’ heart.”

“He was a disgusting pig,” Tony said. “Dad knows.” Phil nodded his head, catching his wife’s eye.

“He wasn’t that bad,” Marilyn said, placing little pigs in a blanket on a baking sheet.

“Scott didn’t visit him once in the hospital when he had pneumonia. On top of it, he didn’t even tell us about Wes,” Tony scoffed. “He was an asshole.”

“You shouldn’t say things like that,” his mother said, shaking her head. “We don’t have to worry about Scott. He’s out of the picture.”

“Thank God,” her husband said angrily. “Tony is right.”

“Regardless, we’ll be courteous and welcoming to Wes’ guest. He’s a foreign guy, from Australia I think.”

“I’ll have a little chat with him,” Tony said. “My little bro doesn’t need some dickweed fucking around with his head again.”

“Don’t make trouble, Tony.” His mother put the pan in the oven. “And don’t call him your little brother when they get here. You know how much he hates that.”

“I know he’s older, but he’s always been so much smaller. I’ll be careful what I say,” Tony smirked at his father. Phil smiled and chuckled. He picked up his left hand and put it on the table.

“Don’t make trouble,” he said, but his eyes were twinkling.

“I won’t,” Tony said, crossing his legs. “But, I can’t promise the other boys won’t make comments.”

“I’ll have a talk with them,” Marilyn said, rubbing her hands on her apron. “He’s not that delicate.”

“Yeah, he is.” Tony laughed. “I wonder what the guy’s like. If he’s some Swisher Sweetheart, that’ll drive Aaron crazy.”

“Aaron needs to grow up,” his mother said.

“We just like to tease him,” Tony said. “You know none of us care that he’s gay.”

“I know but your brother is sensitive,” Marilyn said with a sigh. “It doesn’t help when you guys are so much bigger. You boys never gave him a chance.”

“He likes different things than we do,” Tony said. “That’s all. We like hunting and crap. Wes always had his nose in a book.”

“Well, be on your best behavior. I don’t want Wes embarrassed in front of his new friend.” Marilyn gave her son a stern look.

“I promise,” Tony said, crossing his heart. “When do they get here?”

“In about an hour or so,” his mother said, looking at the ceramic rooster clock on the counter. “You need to get home and clean up. You’ll be late.”

“We won’t be late,” Tony said. “I’m sure Sue is all ready to go and has Austin in his finest little outfit. Next year there will be two more of us here. Brandy’s due in a couple weeks, right?”

“Yeah. Are you coming to your grandparents tomorrow or will it be too much for your wife?” Marilyn asked. “She shouldn’t do too much. Having a baby takes a lot out of you.”

“We’ll see if we can make it. It’s two Christmases with her parents. If Sue’s up for it, we’ll stop by their house.” Tony put the coffee mug down and went over to his mother. “Don’t stress about Wes’ new boyfriend, okay? I’m sure it’ll be fine.”

“I know,” Marilyn said, hugging her youngest. “I worry about him.”

“I know you do. He’s a big boy living in the big city. He’ll be fine.” Tony kissed her cheek. “You have enough to worry about.”

“I’m right here,” his father said. “I’m not that bad.”

“I know, Dad,” Tony said, going over to give him a half-hug. “You’re doing much better.”

His father smiled that half grin and tapped his hat. “See you in a couple hours.”

“Bye,” Tony said and he walked slowly down the hall. God, he hoped Wes finally found someone decent.

***********

“Chad called,” Maureen said to her husband. “They’ll be here at six o’clock.”

“Oh, right,” Carl said, putting down the newspaper. “How’s he doing?”

“Sounds like he’s fine,” she answered. “Actually, he sounded more chipper than he usually does.”

“Yeah?” Carl said, leaning forward. “So what’s his friend’s name?”

“He didn’t say. Justin said his name is Roy. He seems to like the guy,” Maureen said. She went to the fridge and pulled out a can of Tab, popping the top and drinking from it deeply. “I don’t know how to act. I’m nervous.”

“Me too,” Carl said. He got up and put his arms around his wife, pulling her close. “He’s our son, Moe. We’ll talk to him like we always did.”

“It’s not the same,” Maureen said, pulling away. “I know I should get over it, but people still whisper about it. I know it.”

“No one’s talking about last summer,” Carl said. “But, for the record, I’m anxious too.”

Carl touched his wife’s arm. She looked at him with tears running down her face in black streaks. “I’m ashamed,” she sobbed.

“Come here,” Carl said, pulling her close. “There’s nothing to be embarrassed about. Most people have already forgotten about it.”

“No!” she barked. “I’m ashamed of myself.” Now her face was red. Her nose was running and her chest heaved. “I can’t believe the things I said to him. To our son. I drove him away and it’s all my fault.”

Carl hushed her and held her tight. “No, it’s not all your fault. It’s mine too,” he whispered. “I’ve been a fool.”

“You heard what I said to him,” Maureen cried. “He’s been so distant and so detached and, oh, I was frustrated.”

“Maureen, sit down,” Carl said, his voice filled with anguish. “This whole thing is my fault. If I hadn’t been such an idiot, he’d never have been so alone.” He pulled out a chair and his sniffing wife sat down. “I knew about him and I gave him some really bad advice.”

“What do you mean it’s your fault?” she asked. “I mean, if someone had said Chad was gay, I’d have laughed at them, you know?”

“Moe, this is my fault.” Carl started crying himself. “I broke him. Our sweet, wonderful son is a mess because of me.”

“No,” Maureen said, patting his hand and pulling out a handkerchief from her sweater pocket. “This has nothing to do with you.”

“Yeah it does,” Carl said. He took a deep breath and looked her in the eye. “When Chad was seventeen, he came to me. He told me he felt certain things, feelings about other boys. I gave him some God awful advice. That’s why he’s been so sad for so long. It’s because of me.”

Maureen sniffed again and took Carl’s hand. “What did you say?”

“I told him it was a choice. He could live a blameless life with a wife and children or he could become one of those sad, lonely men with nothing to live for,” Carl said. He coughed and reached for her hankie. “I didn’t know what else to do.”

“So, all these years you’ve known,” Maureen said after a time. “You never said anything to me about this before.”

“I thought it was fixed,” Carl said. “It wasn’t. It was never right. I know that now.”

“Why didn’t you talk to me?” Maureen said, her face now red and twisted with disgust. “He’s known since he was a teenager?”

“Yeah,” Carl said. “He knew a long time ago and I told him to suppress it, his feelings. I think that’s why he’s become such an unhappy and lonely man these past few years. I didn’t know it would come to this.”

“I always wondered why he was so upset on his wedding day. He looked like he’d committed a crime and not married the woman he loved.” Maureen looked around the kitchen. “No wonder Eileen was always so upset with him. She knew didn’t she?”

“I don’t think Eileen knew he was gay. I think she knew from the beginning Chad didn’t really love her like a man should love his wife,” Carl said. “She could tell.”

Maureen nodded. “I suppose she did. I could tell over the years he pulled away from everyone. Since the divorce, the only times I’ve see him smile, a real one that is, was when Justin was around.”

“Justin was the only thing he had.” Carl choked. “I can’t believe I did this to him.”

“Carl, he’s a grown man. He should have come to us again. It’s not all your fault. I knew he wasn’t happy and I should have said something. It’s my fault too,” Maureen said, pulling her husband close. “We’ll get through this.”

Carl looked up and wiped his eyes. “I know we will. I went and talked with Pastor Larson about it, what we should do.”

“What did he say?” she asked, softly.

“He agreed with me,” Carl said, a sad smile creeping onto his face.

“He did? That’s a surprise,” Maureen said.

“He agreed I was monumentally stupid in giving Chad that advice,” Carl said. “We talked for some time.”

“What did he say we should do?” Maureen asked. “I don’t know what to say to him.”

“He explained what an ‘affirming’ church is,” Carl said. “That’s where to start. We tell him we love him no matter what.”

Maureen took a deep breath and let it out. “I can do that. It’s how I feel anyway.”

“Then we get to know him again. We welcome his friend into our home and make them both feel comfortable,” Carl said. “These last four months without our Chad around have been horrible.”

“I know. I’ve missed him so much,” Maureen said, giving her husband an unsure smile. “Do you think that will be enough?”

“We will do our best and I’m sure he will too,” Carl said. “We raised him that forgiveness is part of being a good person. He’s always been that way.”

Maureen leaned over and put her head on her husband’s shoulder. “I hope so. I really do.”

In the background, the radio played the ‘Carol of the Bells’, its bittersweet minor chords soothed them and reminded them it was a season of forgiveness and a time of letting things go. Even the most painful of transgressions are forgiven and disappear with the fading of the bells. However, the bells could never be unrung or forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpLkynbjl5s

 

*********

Madeline looked up from her computer at the sound of her name. “Kendra! You missed Roy. They left this morning,” she said, looking over her boss’ mother in a rather snazzy looking outfit under a dress coat.

“I didn’t come to see him, dear,” Kendra giggled. “I need to pick up a few things before tonight.”

“Brave woman coming out on Christmas Eve for some light shopping. It’s been a madhouse today,” Madeline said. She scanned the woman and waved her finger up and down. “Are you going to church?”

“Not tonight.” Kendra laughed. “I have a date.”

“A date?” Madeline asked, astonishment very apparent. “Aren’t you a married woman?”

“Not anymore,” Kendra said. “We signed the papers last week. It was Del’s idea. He’s never getting out of prison. He told me it was time to move on. I finally agreed with him.”

“Good for you,” Madeline said. “What changed your mind?” She paused and tapped her fingers on the counter. A bright expression crossed her face. “It was Roy wasn’t it?”

Kendra nodded. “It was. Seeing him find a good guy made me realize I was waiting around for nothing. I can’t waste the rest of my life with a husband in prison. I’m moving on.”

“So, you have a date on Christmas Eve?” Madeline asked, smirking at her openly. “That’s different.”

“Stan’s parents are gone and his sister’s in California. Since Roy’s going down to Iowa, I figured why not? He’s making dinner for me at his apartment,” Kendra said. She had a twinkle in her eye.

“Where did you meet this guy?” Madeline asked, leaning over the counter.

“Believe it or not, online. He accidently friended me on Facebook and we started talking. We met for coffee and he took me out for dinner and a movie. He’s quite nice,” Kendra said, blushing. “I was so nervous, but he’s easy to talk to.”

“Third date? I know what that means.” Madeline laughed.

Kendra turned redder and put a finger to her lips. “You don’t need to tell Roy about that.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it,” Madeline said. “Have a good night.”

“What are you doing tonight, dear? You’re not alone are you?” Kendra asked.

“I’m going to my brother’s for an evening supper and then tomorrow at my parents,” Madeline said.

“That sounds nice. Well, I’d better get the flowers and ice cream and skedaddle,” Kendra said. “Merry Christmas.”

“And to you as well,” Madeline said.

She watched as Roy’s mother disappeared into the aisles of the store. Most of the crowd had already come and gone. The store was emptying out with a few harried men rushing about grabbing things from shelves. The roar of the crowd was gone. For the first time that day, Madeline could hear the music playing in the background. It was ‘Do you hear what I hear?,’ one of her favorites.

Madeline sighed and quickly gathered up the papers around her area. It was almost time to close up. As she looked at the figures on the computer, a line from the song caught her attention. She paused, listened, and thought about what comfort that one phrase gave her.

“The child, the child

Sleeping in the night

He will bring us goodness and light

He will bring us goodness and light.”

It made her shiver a little, thinking how true that was. Each child brought with them the promise of happiness and joy. A tear fell from her eye as she thought about her own little gift. She wondered where he was. No doubt, he was giving his family goodness and light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad7KU9bCTAM

**********

To: dsmith@minnemart.com

From: hpeterson@minnemart.com

Roy,

I don’t know how to do this, but I know it burdens me. Hopefully you’ll forgive me.

I’m sorry about Thanksgiving. I’ve spoken with Wes and explained. I think he understands. We’ve made our peace. He said I should write this because you’ve been such a good friend. I hurt you as I did him.

When I found out you and Chad were together, I thought it would bother me. It didn’t. In fact, seeing the two of you together felt right. You are a special couple of guys and I was happy for you.

What I couldn’t get past was how empty it felt when Wes touched me or looked at me. It was like I was playing a part I’d never even auditioned for. You and Chad are a matched set with deep devotion, that’s obvious. Every time I looked at you and saw what love really was, it made me uncomfortable.

When I saw Silas and remembered our weekend together, it brought back emotions I thought I’d gotten over. I met him after I’d broken up with Matthew and tried so hard to get past the heartbreak. It didn’t work. All those feelings came back and I couldn’t handle it. I panicked and in the end hurt all of you.

I got home and curled up on the bed. I felt so empty and yet in so much pain. It doesn’t make sense, but that’s how I felt. I also thought I was the sorriest person in the entire world unable to feel the closeness others feel. If I couldn’t have that with someone as wonderful as Wes, there was no hope for me.

That’s when I saw the picture of Matthew and me. It dawned on me I had that feeling once. I threw it away in a fit of anger and despair. Then I realized I’d done the same to you guys.

I’ve never really had close friends before. I know I’m different and I make people uncomfortable. You accepted me though. We had some great times together. I miss that. Maybe you’ll forgive me and let me back in.

I keep writing this in different ways, but Wes told me how I said it didn’t matter. He said I should open up my heart and let you look inside. That’s what I’m trying to do.

Can you forgive me?

Merry Christmas. If you want to share this with Chad, go right ahead. He’s like the brother I never had. I wish you both much happiness.

Sincerely,

Horace Peterson

The next chapter is the concluding episode in this story. I can't thank you enough for reading, liking, commenting, and discussing it on the forum thread. If you'd like to, please come and visit it here.
http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39364-the-art-of-being-gay/page-13#entry494587
Copyright © 2014 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 55
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter! Nice to see the holiday spirit work its way in...and especially gratifying to hear from Peterson. Not certain it's fully mitigated my anger at him, but hes made peace with Wes, and hes trying with the guys. Guess I want him to grovel a little more--but if Wes is happy, guess I should be too.

Great job! And looking forward to Angus meeting the family!

Link to comment

I don't buy into Christmas anymore and I gave up celebrating it years ago. And yet, ou left me wanting more, and not because I was being greedy but because it was so beautiful and made me feel at peace. Cutting and pasting it so I can add it to my little collection of stories I read every year.

Link to comment

When I started to read I thought 'Who's Tony?' Did I miss a chapter? :huh: And then I read on and everything became clear. Very nice, Cole, you got me. :funny: So, there seems to be a Christmas all around. And why not, everyone deserves their very own miracle. Thank you.

Link to comment

You outdid yourself here Cole. Wes is loved and protected, and wait till they get a load of big sweet Angus!. The guilt that Chad's dad must feel for that advice...well forgiveness is a part of life and Chad life is finally full...with Roy. And Kendra is getting laid! Thank you for that gift although I don't actually want to picture it.Madeline's secret child? Is it a secret waiting to burst or just an insight into a nice woman who cares about those around her? Peterson is on his way to redemption. It was am asshole thing to do but emotions rule us at the worst of times. Such a feel good chapter to savor while we anticipate the HEA promised in the finale. truly one of the very best stories I have read. Very, very satisfying food for the soul...cheers... Gary

Link to comment

I too wondered who Tony was, but pretty soon it was so woderful to see the love the family has for Wes, and Chad's parents were a real revelation! I still blame his dad for the bad advice, but mostly because he never talked about it again, leaving his son to be unhappy all those years was just wrong. I am glad he can do right now...something I never got with my own father.

 

The only disappointment in the whole thing for me were the links to the two best Christmas carols of the modern age--it would have been better to do the first as an instrumental--vocal versions of it ared almost always bad, as here. The second carol was also disappointing by the choice--both should have left us to find our own favorites, or do them in our heads as I usually do. I grew up in the era of good Christmas music (60s) and heard far better versions of both during every holiday--like so many artists these days, they take classic songs-especially the Star Spangled Banner, and put their own 'stink' on it: alas, the term is far more accurate at describing the results. :) I'm not religious, but have to admit that the Yule Season has produced some wonderful music through the centuries.

 

One more chapter...man, I'm gonna miss these guys!

Link to comment

When I started reading, I kept asking "who's Tony? did I miss something?" I actually went back a chapter and then just shook my head and read the chapter. So happy that Wes has such strong family ties. And they are going to adore Angus!!! You go Kendra, whoo hooo. Madeline's thoughts about her child were bittersweet. Chad's parents were a surprise. :o So so glad they've seen the light and will welcome Roy into their home. Chad misses his parents and this will be the best Christmas gift ever. Lovely chapter Cole.

Link to comment
On 12/19/2014 01:02 AM, Robert Rex said:
Great chapter! Nice to see the holiday spirit work its way in...and especially gratifying to hear from Peterson. Not certain it's fully mitigated my anger at him, but hes made peace with Wes, and hes trying with the guys. Guess I want him to grovel a little more--but if Wes is happy, guess I should be too.

Great job! And looking forward to Angus meeting the family!

Thanks Robert! I'm not sure Peterson has even forgiven himself yet. I'm glad the holiday spirit came through. I appreciate the wonderful review! :)
Link to comment
On 12/19/2014 01:40 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
I don't buy into Christmas anymore and I gave up celebrating it years ago. And yet, ou left me wanting more, and not because I was being greedy but because it was so beautiful and made me feel at peace. Cutting and pasting it so I can add it to my little collection of stories I read every year.
What a wonderful review, Carlos! I'm so thrilled you found it so moving. Thank you! :)
Link to comment
On 12/19/2014 02:49 AM, aditus said:
When I started to read I thought 'Who's Tony?' Did I miss a chapter? :huh: And then I read on and everything became clear. Very nice, Cole, you got me. :funny: So, there seems to be a Christmas all around. And why not, everyone deserves their very own miracle. Thank you.
I got the who's Tony from both Huk and Val. But you know me, I'm full of misdirection! Lol! Christmas is a time of miracles and good will. Thanks Addy! :)
Link to comment
On 12/19/2014 03:26 AM, Headstall said:
You outdid yourself here Cole. Wes is loved and protected, and wait till they get a load of big sweet Angus!. The guilt that Chad's dad must feel for that advice...well forgiveness is a part of life and Chad life is finally full...with Roy. And Kendra is getting laid! Thank you for that gift although I don't actually want to picture it.Madeline's secret child? Is it a secret waiting to burst or just an insight into a nice woman who cares about those around her? Peterson is on his way to redemption. It was am asshole thing to do but emotions rule us at the worst of times. Such a feel good chapter to savor while we anticipate the HEA promised in the finale. truly one of the very best stories I have read. Very, very satisfying food for the soul...cheers... Gary
Food for the soul has to be one of the most touching comments I've ever received. I strive to do that. I'm glad the little taste of each man's background worked. I hoped to finish off their back stories. As far as Kendra, I did promise a HEA for them all and Kendra deserved it too. I will tell you a secret, just keep it to yourself. Madeleine's little bundle of joy is an Easter egg. Thank you so much Gary! Merry Christmas!
Link to comment
On 12/19/2014 05:18 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
I too wondered who Tony was, but pretty soon it was so woderful to see the love the family has for Wes, and Chad's parents were a real revelation! I still blame his dad for the bad advice, but mostly because he never talked about it again, leaving his son to be unhappy all those years was just wrong. I am glad he can do right now...something I never got with my own father.

 

The only disappointment in the whole thing for me were the links to the two best Christmas carols of the modern age--it would have been better to do the first as an instrumental--vocal versions of it ared almost always bad, as here. The second carol was also disappointing by the choice--both should have left us to find our own favorites, or do them in our heads as I usually do. I grew up in the era of good Christmas music (60s) and heard far better versions of both during every holiday--like so many artists these days, they take classic songs-especially the Star Spangled Banner, and put their own 'stink' on it: alas, the term is far more accurate at describing the results. :) I'm not religious, but have to admit that the Yule Season has produced some wonderful music through the centuries.

 

One more chapter...man, I'm gonna miss these guys!

Sorry to hear about your own father. I think things have changed and for Chads parents, it isn't something they could stand, not having a relationship with their son. Wes' family is more supportive than he even realizes. I think that happens too.

 

Sorry about the music selections but you should just ignore if you want. I wanted to give readers something to listen to while reading. Anyway, thank you so much ColumbusGuy, I'm glad you've enjoyed the story. I've had such joy with these characters :)

Link to comment
On 12/19/2014 11:37 AM, LadyDe said:
When I started reading, I kept asking "who's Tony? did I miss something?" I actually went back a chapter and then just shook my head and read the chapter. So happy that Wes has such strong family ties. And they are going to adore Angus!!! You go Kendra, whoo hooo. Madeline's thoughts about her child were bittersweet. Chad's parents were a surprise. :o So so glad they've seen the light and will welcome Roy into their home. Chad misses his parents and this will be the best Christmas gift ever. Lovely chapter Cole.
Reuniting Chad 's family is a gift. So is Wes getting to introduce a great guy to his family. My feeling is Wes' brother are going to love a big lug like Angus. They'll approve of him. Madeline's little baby is a little nugget I wanted to include. Kendra deserved her own little HEA.

Thanks so much LadyDe! I'm happy you've been loving it! :)

Link to comment

Wow, this is a really moving chapter Cole. Still not sure I fully understand Peterson, but I"m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at least. And Wes's brother needs to wash that hat... :lol: I really love the situation with his mom caring for his dad and the after-effects of the stroke... I hope Chad's parents can atone for their wrongs enough to recover from the guilt of the past. What a terrible thing to have to live with.

Link to comment
On 12/19/2014 04:37 PM, Irritable1 said:
Wow, this is a really moving chapter Cole. Still not sure I fully understand Peterson, but I"m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at least. And Wes's brother needs to wash that hat... :lol: I really love the situation with his mom caring for his dad and the after-effects of the stroke... I hope Chad's parents can atone for their wrongs enough to recover from the guilt of the past. What a terrible thing to have to live with.
I hope you see in the last chapter how Chad's parents atone for their past sins. Peterson is such an interesting character to me. His personality and situation is so common and yet we struggle with his issues. I'm really trying to show, not tell, these characters which is always difficult.

I'm not sure the Tony's of the world ever voluntarily wash their hats. They take pride in them being as grungy as they are? Hahaha!!!

Thanks Irri! I'm glad it was moving. :)

Link to comment
On 01/06/2015 05:19 PM, Suvitar said:
Truly wonderful chapter. So much love and understanding.
Thank you Suvitar! I wasn't sure about this one either. I was compelled to complete their stories. The boys couldn't tell the tales of their background, not rightfully. I needed their loved ones to do it. I'm glad you liked the treatment. :)
Link to comment

I, too, was wondering if I missed something when I read about Tony. Tony who? lol Wes is so lucky he has such a wonderful, loving, and accepting family. :)

 

After the snippet with Wes' family, the rest made me cry. Well, except for Kendra -- you go, girl! :D

 

I cried for the child Madeline never knew, I cried for Chad's parents b/c they love him so much, and they know they made a big mistake. I have a feeling this Christmas there will be sad, but also happy tears in that house.

 

I even cried reading Peterson's letter!!!! If you can believe that! So obviously, he's been in contact with Wes more than once. It was a brilliant idea to write the letter to Roy and spill his guts.

 

I think this was my favorite chapter, Cole. It was so raw and so emotional. I know I'm gonna cry again at the end b/c I don't wanna say goodbye to everyone! :(:(

Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 09:06 AM, Lisa said:

I, too, was wondering if I missed something when I read about Tony. Tony who? lol Wes is so lucky he has such a wonderful, loving, and accepting family. :)

 

After the snippet with Wes' family, the rest made me cry. Well, except for Kendra -- you go, girl! :D

 

I cried for the child Madeline never knew, I cried for Chad's parents b/c they love him so much, and they know they made a big mistake. I have a feeling this Christmas there will be sad, but also happy tears in that house.

 

I even cried reading Peterson's letter!!!! If you can believe that! So obviously, he's been in contact with Wes more than once. It was a brilliant idea to write the letter to Roy and spill his guts.

 

I think this was my favorite chapter, Cole. It was so raw and so emotional. I know I'm gonna cry again at the end b/c I don't wanna say goodbye to everyone! :(:(

Lisa, this review is so poignant to me. This chapter is so moving to me. It's about how love, family, and connections transcend the other things. There is so much love around, so awkwardly conveyed, and yet we need to see it. Peterson is flawed, but he is trying. Chad is struggling, but he's doing his best. Madeline mourns yet she also forgives herself as she needs to.

 

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love it and even though the next chapter is the 'heart' of the story, this chapter is the soul.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..