Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 5,134 Words
  • 2,073 Views
  • 30 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2016 - Winter - Rewind: Pre-2016 Themes Entry

Bill's Christmas Gift - 1. Chapter 1

Bill Mason slowly climbed the old wooden stairs to the porch. His arthritis was acting up with the change in the weather; the snow was due any minute. The sun was going down, as darkness came early this time of the year. As he reached his front door, Misty, his gray cat, came up and rubbed against his leg.

“Hello, old girl. You ready to come in and get warm?” Bill smiled as he unlocked the door and entered the house.

Misty slipped passed him and padded down the hall toward the kitchen.

Bill took off his coat and hat, and slipped his feet out of his boots and into a pair of slippers he kept by the door. He paused to turn on the lights of his small, four foot tall Christmas tree before he made his way to the kitchen.

“Okay, I’m here. I’ll get you some food.” Bill watched as Misty sat by the food bowl and licked her paws.

Bill took one of the cans of cat food and opened it. Misty was a finicky eater, and he had learned long ago that dry food would be ignored by his cat. Bill smiled as he remembered how Misty had swatted the food around the floor like it was a package of toys instead of food. Instead, he could smell the fish in her preferred canned food. He poured it into Misty’s dish. She looked at him for a moment, then turned and began to eat.

Bill tossed out the can and put a cup of water into his microwave. While the microwave heated his water, he spotted the calendar hanging on the wall with a sticker over every day reaching Christmas. Tonight was Christmas Eve and he wished things could be a bit more festive here, but dreaming about it was all he would do. When the microwave beeped, he took out his cup and slipped a tea bag into it, added a splash of milk, and then made his way back to the living room.

The living room was semi-dark as he entered. The deep, dark blue pile carpet was his gift to himself this year. He couldn’t handle the cold floor, and carpeting made the room seem warmer. It matched the old couch he still had sitting by the window. He turned on the lamp as he stood looking at the rich oak paneling. It matched the rest of the wooden tables and he remembered when each of them had been bought so many years ago by Johnny. He sat in his rocker and set the cup beside him. Bill debated whether to play some music on his stereo or watch television. The television won out, because he had the remote next to him, so he turned it on and found A Christmas Carol just starting. A smile came to his face as he glanced outside and saw the snow beginning to fall.

It had been a good day. He had checked on his neighbor, Mrs. Alice Wilson, and made sure she was ready for the snow. She was actually a few years younger than himself, but he had been taught by his parents to always check on your neighbors, and Alice had hurt her leg earlier. He knew people at their age didn’t heal as fast anymore. On his way home again, he had seen Ralph and Tony Maycomb. The boys had promised to come over and shovel if it snowed. He knew their parents wouldn’t allow them to take any money, but he had made some cookies for them.

He looked around his cozy room. It had been years since he had anyone share his place. The house had belonged to his parents, and he was an only child. While everyone he had grown up with seemed to marry and find jobs elsewhere, Bill found himself staying at home with his parents. Of course, life would change quickly for him. When Bill was just nineteen, his father was killed in a bus accident. His mother put on a brave face, but it was only nine months later that she had been diagnosed with cancer. It attacked her so quickly that she was gone within a year. At first, it was hard to be in the house all alone; however, the longer he was alone, the more he liked it. Truth be told, Bill had been happy alone, but then he had met Johnny Trenton on his twenty-fifth birthday.

Bill remembered going out to the diner for dinner. There was only one table left and the waitress asked if he would mind sharing a table.

“Really, you don’t mind?” The waitress looked greatly relieved.

“No. Not a problem, ma’am. I’m willing to share.” Bill figured a stranger wouldn’t want to talk, so he could enjoy his meal and slip back home.

The waitress smiled and walked away. A moment later, she returned with a tall, sandy blond male. His dark green eyes seemed to twinkle.

“Thanks for sharing your table.” The man reached across to shake hands with Bill.

“Um, sure.”

“My name is Johnny. Nice to meet you.” Johnny smiled, and Bill noticed the dimples when he did.

“Bill.”

“So, figure out what you are having? Never been here before. Food any good?”

Bill blushed. He didn’t know this attractive man and couldn’t figure out why he just kept talking.

“I just figured I’d get a steak and potato to celebrate.”

Johnny looked over and cocked his eyebrow. “Celebrate?”

“Oh.” Bill blushed again. “Forget I said anything.”

“What are you celebrating?”

“My birthday,” Bill whispered.

“You shouldn’t be doing that alone. Where is your family? Your friends?” Johnny set down the menu and looked closely at Bill.

“I have no family.”

“Well, where are your friends?”

“Just figured no one would care to go out,” Bill said quietly, his eyes trained once again on the menu before him.

“Well, you aren’t spending the rest of the night alone,” Johnny announced rather loudly.

Bill looked up, startled.

“If no one else is celebrating with you, I am.” Johnny looked him in the eye and then seemed to look him over.

That became their first date. Johnny insisted they have dessert and he walked Bill home. Their conversation ended with a promise to see each other the following day. It began major changes in both their lives. Johnny was supposed to be staying in a room he was renting, but within a month he had moved in and become a vital part of Bill’s life. They had lived together for nearly twenty years, the best years of his life, ‘til cancer had taken Johnny from him. He missed Johnny every day, but he’d never gone looking for another partner. Now that he had turned seventy, he was just happy to have his health.

Bill realized it would just be another night of him alone with the television, even if it was Christmas Eve. He sipped his tea and watched Scrooge lose the woman he loved to his love of money. Bill shook his head and leaned back into his chair, falling asleep.

He woke with a start to find the room dark and the television playing some movie he didn’t recognize. Misty was curled up on his lap and opened her eyes to look at him when he moved. He gently stroked her.

“Sorry, Misty. Just scared myself.”

He reached for his tea to find it had gone ice cold.

“Guess I was out longer than I thought.”

That was when he noticed the tree. It wasn’t his little table top tree, but a real nine foot tree set up near the front window. It was fully decorated with lights, garland, and ornaments. The bright white lights shone in the darkness, while the colored lights blinked off and on. The bright blue twinkling light on top was one he remembered fondly. The dark blue garland on the tree matched the star on top. The deep, rich smell of a pine tree filled the room.

“Where on earth did that come from?” Bill’s voice held a note of wonder as he stared at the tree across the room.

He scooted Misty off his lap and shuffled over to the tree. The ornaments on it were ones he and Johnny had picked out while he was alive. He spotted old favorites like the bicycle rider that Johnny had bought for the tree after he had taught Bill how to ride and given him a bicycle that Christmas. Then he spotted the glass bear he had bought for Johnny for their fifth year together. The memories they stirred up brought a tear to Bill’s eye. The ornaments had been stored up in the attic, and he hadn’t had the heart or the strength to go up and get them down for years now. The fact that someone had set up a beautiful Christmas tree and decorated it with his prized ornaments made Bill smile, but it also made him wonder who had done it.

It was then he noticed the smell of garlic and oregano that filled the air. He hobbled to the kitchen to find a full meal had been cooked. There were two large pans of lasagna, garlic bread, a salad, a roasted chicken, corn, baked potatoes, and even two different pies sat cooling on the counter.

Bill found himself completely at a loss. He didn’t have any family and no one really came over, so he was at a loss to explain all the food. In many ways, Bill was living the life he had before Johnny had ever come into his life. He stood staring at it all and wondered what he should do.

Just as he was about to sit down, he heard a knock at the front door. Bill pulled down his sweater and tried his best to walk calmly to the door. He was nervous as hell, wondering who could be at his door on Christmas Eve.

Bill reached the door, and when he opened it, he was truly surprised. Before him stood most of the neighborhood. The whole Maycomb family stood there, Mrs. Wilson was holding a pot, and Christine and Maggie were there, as well as a few of the other neighbors. They all stood smiling, some holding containers, others with packages.

“What’s all this?” Bill stood dumbfounded before them all.

“Bill, you try and take care of the whole neighborhood. You cook for some of us, watch the kids, and do other odds and ends for all of us. You never let any of us help you. So this year, we realized you would be here alone again for Christmas.” Terry Maycomb stepped forward as he talked, and he took Bill’s hand.

“Hurry it up, Terry. It’s cold out here,” Maggie commented, as she tried to pull her coat a little closer.

“Yeah, Terry. Just get on with it!” his wife commented, trying not to laugh.

“Geez, you guys are all so willing to talk now,” Terry commented, shaking his head before turning back to Bill.

“Dad, hurry up. I wanna eat,” Ralph called out.

“All right already.” Terry shook his head and laughed. “Your friends decided this year you would have company. We all did what we could to make sure this year, you would have the holiday you deserve.”

Bill stood with tears in his eyes. He had never expected anything like this. As he watched, people came in and helped set up more food. Some of the neighbors had brought over some chairs and tables. Gifts were slipped under the tree, Christmas music was put on, and people came over to wish Bill a happy holiday.

“Thanks so much for checking on me earlier,” Alice Wilson said quietly. “I was so afraid I’d spill the beans about the party tonight. I do hope you like the meatloaf. Danny always said I made a good one.”

“I’m sure it will be scrumptious.” Bill gently patted her arm.

“Do you like the tree?” Maggie asked as she kissed his cheek. “Christine and I picked it out. Of course, the Maycomb boys did the decorating.”

“How did they know where my ornaments and all were? How did you all get in anyway?”

Maggie laughed. “You watch those boys all the time. You’ve told them all about your life. We all know that you and Johnny stored your ornaments in the attic. While their parents were busy cooking, Officer Renolds—“

“You mean Danny,” said Officer Renolds, as he came past and winked at Bill. “The boys can’t be charged with breaking and entering. They had a key and I was with them.”

“Yeah, the cop was with them,” Maggie said rolling her eyes. “Anyway, they set it up and knew just where to look from you. As for the key, well, you gave copies to a few of us, in case you ever got into trouble, and someone had to get in to check on you.”

Bill smiled and shook his head. He was overwhelmed by the kindness being shown to him by his friends and neighbors.

Bill glanced around the room, his smile firmly in place as he shook hands, and felt more alive than he had in years. He was given a plate with a sampling of food from everyone.

“Here.” Mary Maycomb passed Bill a plate full of food. “You haven’t had a chance to move or eat, and this party is for you. I put a little bit of all the food everyone made on there. I wasn’t sure exactly what you would like. I hope you don’t mind?”

“I’m grateful.” Bill smiled and began to sample the food.

Bill stood and looked at his guests as they mingled and looked at the different ornaments. It was nice to see so many people and hear laughter and conversation fill the house once more. He felt everyone had to be there when there was another knock on the door.

“Did you invite someone else?” Bill asked Terry.

“Not that I know of.” Terry made to head to the door, but Bill stopped him.

“I’ll get it.” Bill headed over to the door and opened it. For a moment, Bill almost passed out. The man at the door could have been Johnny’s twin. He stood looking into a pair of emerald green eyes, set into an all too familiar face with dark blond hair. The man before him smiled and Bill immediately noticed the dimples and felt like his knees were about to give out.

“I’m sorry to interrupt. I’m looking for Mr. Bill Mason.”

“I’m him,” whispered Bill. The voice wasn’t as deep as Johnny’s, but everything else was close enough to give Bill pause. It was like looking at a photograph of Johnny when he first met him all those years ago.

“Oh. I’m glad to meet you, Mr. Mason. I’m Tommy Dunmore. I understand you knew my great-uncle Johnny.” Tommy reached out to shake Bill’s hand.

“Your uncle?” Bill took Tommy’s hand and just stared.

“Is everything okay, Mr. Mason?” asked Ralph Maycomb. “Mom said it’s cold and you shouldn’t stay in the doorway.”

Bill looked at Ralph and nodded. “Uh, come in, Tommy.”

“Oh, I interrupted a party. I’m sorry. I will come back another time.”

Bill grasped Tommy’s arm. “No. Come in and join us. My neighbors wanted to surprise me for the holiday so they put this together. Take off your coat and get something to eat.”

Tommy smiled and slipped off his coat.

Almost immediately, Bill was surrounded by his neighbors as they asked about Tommy, shared gossip, and joked. Bill moved from group to group, but always he searched out Tommy, confounded to see the young man standing there, while thoughts of Johnny filled his mind.

“Who is Tommy?” Maggie asked as soon as she pulled Bill away from the crowds again.

“He is part of Johnny’s family.” Bill’s eyes sought out Tommy where he was presently standing, talking to Terry near the kitchen.

“You seemed so surprised to see him.” Maggie looked at Tommy and then back to Bill. “He looks like Johnny.”

“How would you know what Johnny looks like?” Bill turned to stare at Maggie.

Maggie smiled and pointed to the picture on the end table next to his rocking chair. In it was a picture of Johnny and Bill standing on the beach. Johnny’s bright smile was all Bill still saw when he looked at the old photo.

As the night moved on, some of the neighbors went off home. There were fewer and fewer people and Bill finally got to talk to Tommy.

“So, you are Johnny’s great-nephew?”

“Yeah. My grandmother Teresa was Johnny’s sister. We understand she stopped talking to Johnny when he moved here. I’m out to find out what happened.”

“I never knew Teresa had children. She didn’t even come to Johnny’s funeral when I told her he died.”

Tommy looked upset. “Do you know why they stopped talking? I only found out about him from a photo of them when grandma was young. She never mentioned him, but I did find a letter to her with this address and your name.”

“Because your uncle was in love with me,” Bill whispered.

“What? That can’t be right.”

Bill looked at Tommy, anger building in his face.

Tommy held up his hand. “Let me explain. Actually, that might make sense. Grandma had four children, three girls and a boy. The oldest were Aunt Sarah and Aunt Beth, they are twins and both are lesbians. They had a really rocky relationship with grandma; she barely spoke to either of them. Then there was my father, and the baby was Aunt Barbara. To be honest, Grandma doted on Aunt Barbara and Dad, and everyone knew it.”

Bill looked at Tommy and then laughed.

“What’s so funny?” Tommy looked strangely at Bill.

“Johnny always told her that people were born gay. She always said it was his choice. He only told her, for her sake, she better not have any gay children.”

“So she cut him out of her life. He never knew of her children or us?” Tommy seemed upset as he asked his questions. Tommy kept making fists and biting on his lower lip.

Bill couldn’t help but think of Johnny. Whenever Johnny got upset, he always bit his bottom lip. Bill wondered if that was a trait that could be passed along from family member to family member.

“What happened to my uncle? How did he die?” Tommy sat looking at Bill, his hand slightly trembling.

“My Johnny died almost twenty years ago. Cancer took him, something else he said ran in his family.” Bill sighed and touched the ring he wore from Johnny, absentmindedly.

“Cancer does run in the family. Grandma had breast cancer. Aunt Sarah had a bout with breast cancer, as well. I know Aunt Tilda was there to look after Aunt Sarah the whole time.”

“Aunt Tilda?” Bill asked, unsure who that could be.

“Sorry. Aunt Tilda is Aunt Sarah’s partner. They’ve been together for nearly thirty years, I think.” Tommy looked at Bill and then down at Bill’s hand. “You were his husband?”

Bill let out a little snort before slowly shaking his head no.

“We couldn’t marry.” He turned to look at the snow that was still slowly falling, illuminated by the street lights. “I was his partner, though, in every way that mattered. When he died, I was the only one at his side, even though I let his family know he was dying.”

“I see.” Tommy sat quietly at Bill’s side.

“You look so much like him,” Bill said, as he watched Tommy closely.

Tommy looked up, tears were rolling down his cheek.

“Why are you crying?” Bill reached out and took Tommy’s hand, squeezing it gently.

Tommy shook his head. “I’m just like my great-uncle. I‘m gay and in love. I’m getting married next month to the man who makes my life worth living. We met in college in our freshman year. By the time we graduated, we knew we had found our soulmates. Dad and Mom are crazy about him. Hell, they refer to Duane as their other son. The whole family is excited for our wedding. Well, almost everyone. Grandma refuses to come to the wedding. Now, at least I know why.”

Bill nodded and sat back in his chair. It surprised him how the world had changed so much. Johnny and Bill had been deeply in love, but there was never a chance that the two of them could be married or accepted as a couple. In fact, his sister and parents had pretended that Johnny hadn’t even existed, which was hard to accept, as he had watched the man he had loved with all his heart be taken from him by the same thing that had claimed his mother. Bill considered cancer a sort of wasting death, something that took the strength and vitality leaving only a shell. He knew it was a painful way to go. He purchased the plot next to his parents and buried Johnny there. There was one spot left for himself. For a long time, he had simply wanted to follow Johnny into the grave, but he knew Johnny only wanted him to go on and live a full life. Bill was surprised he had lived as long as he had.

“Can I ask a favor of you?” Tommy reached forward and took Bill’s hand in his own.

Bill came back to reality as he looked at Tommy. “You can ask.”

“Would you come to my wedding? I want my family to meet Uncle Johnny’s partner. You shouldn’t be forgotten.”

Bill was surprised, and it took him a moment to find his voice. “I’d be honored.”

Bill sat back and smiled. Earlier this evening, he had thought he would be all alone this Christmas. Instead, his neighbors had gotten together to give him this party. Then, Johnny’s family finally reached out and accepted him after all these years. Perhaps this was Johnny’s final gift, a family for his twilight years.

“Bill?”

Bill looked up to see Mary standing there with her sons at her side. He stood up slowly and reached out to give her a hug.

“We didn’t want to leave without saying good night. We were helping take out the garbage and all, but it is really getting late. The boys need to get to bed. I promise they will be over early to dig you out.” Mary smiled and watched as both her sons thanked Bill for the party.

“Promise, we will be here early,” Ralph said as he followed his mother to the door.

“Your neighbors really seem fond of you,” Tommy commented as he watched Maggie and Christine packing up food and placing it into Bill’s refrigerator.

“I never knew they cared so much about an old man.” Bill smiled as he watched Christine go and begin to gather up any plates or cups left lying around.

“Mags, grab another garbage bag for me,” Christine called out from the living room.

“I can take care of that, Chrissy.” Bill shook his head as he watched her march over to him.

“We threw the party for you. You didn’t think we would leave you the mess, did you?” Christine rolled her eyes and grabbed a few more paper plates and headed back to the kitchen.

Tommy laughed. “They really do take care of you, don’t they?”

“He usually takes care of all of us,” Maggie shouted from the kitchen.

“She is being a little generous there.” Bill blushed deeply.

“I should get going. Duane is going to be worried sick if I don’t get home soon. I just realized how late it is.” Tommy shook his head as he looked out the window at the falling snow.

“I wouldn’t think about driving anywhere if I was you,” Christine announced as she walked in carrying her cell phone. “Just got a warning that all streets are closed to non-emergency personnel. Seems this storm is worse than they thought it might be, and some areas are already buried under a foot or more of snow.”

“You really shouldn’t head out in that mess, Tommy. Stay here. I have plenty of room.” Bill looked out at the deep snow and then back at Tommy, who smiled and nodded his consent.

“Well, your fridge is packed to max now, Bill. We are going to head home. If you need anything, call us. Don’t try to go out.” Maggie hugged Bill tight.

“If you need anything at all. Got it?” Christine hugged Bill next.

The two girls put on their coats and headed out into the deep snow, arm in arm.

“Are you sure you don’t mind if I stay?” Tommy asked, as he scanned the road to where his car was buried under the fast falling snow.

“It’s Christmas Eve. I wouldn’t send my worst enemy out there, never mind a member of Johnny’s family.” Bill walked over to the Christmas tree and picked up one of the gifts he had been given. “Here. I’m pretty sure these SpongeBob lounge pants will fit you. I’m pretty sure I have an old tee shirt upstairs you can sleep in.”

“SpongeBob?” Tommy giggled as he looked over at Bill.

“A gift from the boys. I’ve seen more of that yellow sponge over the years, watching it with them as they grew up. At least someone will get some use out of those pants.”

Tommy smiled.

“Come on. I’ll show you to the guest room. I might have to dig around a bit in my linen closet, but I know I have a spare toothbrush and anything else you might need. Johnny always made sure we had spares, though we rarely had guests. Just something I’ve kept up through the years.”

“Just let me call Duane.”

Bill left Tommy to make his call. Misty seemed to appear out of thin air as he entered the kitchen. She leapt to table and sat looking at him.

“We’re going to have company tonight, Misty. Johnny’s nephew found me.”

Misty sat looking at him for a moment, and then made her way over and rubbed against him.

“Thanks for being such a good kitty, Misty. At least, you didn’t cause any trouble during the party.”

Misty sat back down and began to clean her front paws.

Bill walked over and put a fresh cup of water into the microwave for tea.

“Duane is relieved that I’m staying. He was worried about me trying to drive home.” Tommy walked in and sat down, the box still in his hand.

“I’m just fixing myself a cup of chamomile tea. Johnny started me on it years ago. Still can’t fall asleep at night without one.”

“Would you mind if I joined you?”

“Not at all.” Bill filled up a second mug with water. As the microwave pinged from the first cup, he set the second one into the microwave, and then brought all the fixings to the table.

“Can I ask you something, Bill?” Tommy nervously twisted the ring on his finger.

Bill looked at Tommy and nodded.

“Were you happy together? I mean, you and Uncle Johnny. Did you have a good life together?”

Bill stood there for a moment.

“Yes. We were like anyone else. We fought, we loved, we talked, we ate, and we slept. We were like anyone else you see in your life, nothing special, just an ordinary couple. The main thing was, we loved each other. We could have fights, but we also knew how to make up. We did stupid things for each other, like leaving notes or gifts for the other one in their lunchbox or on their pillow. He made my day just by being in it.” Bill paused and could feel the tears rolling down his cheek. He wiped them away, walked back to the counter, and took his mug out of the microwave.

“That is all Duane and I want. To live together and make each other happy.”

Bill sat down and made his tea. It took a while before he felt in control of himself enough to speak again.

“The only thing I can tell you is be honest with each other. The more you talk and explain what you want from each other, the better it will be.”

Tommy got up and walked to Bill’s side. He leaned over and kissed his cheek. “Thank you. I just needed to know that things like my marriage are possible. I know it won’t be easy, but Duane brings out the best in me.”

Bill smiled.

The two men drank their tea in silence. When they finished, they put the cups in the sink.

“Come on. I’ll show you where you are sleeping and where the bathroom is.”

Bill led the way upstairs and opened the door to the guest room. He turned on the light and looked around the sky blue room.

“All yours, Tommy.”

Tommy walked in and set the box on the bed. “Just need to use the bathroom.”

Bill pointed to the last door on the right of the hallway. “That’s the bathroom. I’ll say good night to you here.”

“Good night to you too, Bill. Thanks for everything and Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas to you, too, Tommy.”

Bill nodded and headed into his bedroom. He was about to close his bedroom door when Misty slipped in and jumped up on the bed.

“Guess you were feeling left out, Misty.”

The cat circled and settled down in the middle of the bed.

Bill slowly undressed and got into his pajamas.

He sat and looked at the picture of Johnny that he kept by his bedside.

“Johnny, this is probably the best Christmas I’ve had since you passed, my love. I miss you so much. Your nephew looks just like you, and he seems to have found someone to love like you did me. I’m sure I’ll meet his Duane and the rest of your family soon.” Bill paused to wipe the tears that were flowing down his cheeks. “The neighbors all came over and put up a tree. Johnny, they used our ornaments. I haven’t seen them in years. The whole place feels so different tonight. Like a special present I just didn’t know was there, and opened by accident. I felt loved again for the first time—well, since you left me.”

Bill picked up Johnny’s picture and kissed it.

He got up and slowly changed into his pajamas and climbed into the bed. Misty got up and unceremoniously curled up around Bill’s head.

“Night, Misty. Merry Christmas.”

Copyright © 2016 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 6
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2016 - Winter - Rewind: Pre-2016 Themes Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



What a beautiful story of love and family. Bill treats his neighbors like family. And they, in turn include him in their celebration. Hopefully they can make this an annual event!

 

The treat was Tommy. A new connection to Bill's other family! And Bill will get to meet more of them at the wedding.

 

The bonus for me was that there were no magical creatures involved! (I like the Science Fiction and Fantasy genres, but reality has its place too. This season is already overwhelmed by fairytales: virgin births, magic lamps, flying reindeer, elves that spy on you to detect bad behavior, etc.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

For a short while I wondered if he had fallen asleep in his chair and had a wonderful dream which would end with his neighbor finding him dead the next morning. But I'm glad it was all real, although I'm not at all fond of surprise parties. At least he now knows who to leave his house to.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/23/2016 11:15 PM, Sasha Distan said:

Who makes tea in the microwave!? That had me reeling for a long time!

Welcome to America, where everything is made in the microwave. Hope you enjoyed Sasha.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 12/24/2016 03:25 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Just what my sad heart needed! Lovely.

Glad you liked it. Just like hope, especially at this time of the year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/23/2016 10:50 AM, Timothy M. said:

For a short while I wondered if he had fallen asleep in his chair and had a wonderful dream which would end with his neighbor finding him dead the next morning. But I'm glad it was all real, although I'm not at all fond of surprise parties. At least he now knows who to leave his house to.

Thank you for the review, Tim. I've done the magical and wasn't after sadness, so this was a story of hope and love.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/23/2016 09:08 AM, droughtquake said:

What a beautiful story of love and family. Bill treats his neighbors like family. And they, in turn include him in their celebration. Hopefully they can make this an annual event!

 

The treat was Tommy. A new connection to Bill's other family! And Bill will get to meet more of them at the wedding.

 

The bonus for me was that there were no magical creatures involved! (I like the Science Fiction and Fantasy genres, but reality has its place too. This season is already overwhelmed by fairytales: virgin births, magic lamps, flying reindeer, elves that spy on you to detect bad behavior, etc.)

Thank you for the review, droughtquake. I just wanted a story of hope and love. I figure there had been enough magical in my other Christmas tale.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/23/2016 05:23 AM, Ivor Slipper said:

Really enjoyed this great 'feelgood' story.

I glad you enjoyed it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/23/2016 06:11 AM, Daddydavek said:

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for reading. Glad you enjoyed it Dad.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This made me smile and cry at the same time.

 

It was in part a wonderful story of how Bill finds he has more friends and family than he thought he had.

 

The other part that made it sad for me was not only was the love of his life dead, but Jonny didn't get the chance to meet his nephew and the other members of his family that still cared.

 

A wonderfully written piece, from one of my favourite authors.

 

:hug:

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Ok, now that I wiped my tears away, I can review.

 

What a beautiful story, Wayne. :) It was so heartwarming to see both Bill helping his neighbors and in turn, his neighbors having that party for him.

 

The best part though, was Tommy. Through him, Bill can meet more of Johnny's family -- the family that wants to meet him. :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

A beautiful tale of friendship, sharing and love in many sense of the word. For me that is the Christmas spirit ...

 

Thank you !
:thankyou:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I realy enjoyed this. When Bill first woke up to find his home rearanged I though it might have been something supernatural but I guess he was just a sound sleeper.
His relationship with his neighbors is something to aspire to. Having friends near by is priceless.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

What a sweet and lovely story. I think having the intersection of older and younger gay men is good for the community. Some of us longer in tooth and shorter of nail have some experiences that are important to share. Younger gay men have a vitality and perspective which invigorates. Thank you for showing us that in such a subtle and profound way. Great job!!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

It was heartwarming to see just how deeply Bill has touched his neighbours even without noticing himself. Just being there for everyone. I'm glad they took the opportunity to show him how much he means to them.

 

For him to meet Tommy will hopefully connect him with that part of the family. I think Bill and Tommy can both learn from each other.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/27/2016 02:02 PM, Lisa said:

Ok, now that I wiped my tears away, I can review.

 

What a beautiful story, Wayne. :) It was so heartwarming to see both Bill helping his neighbors and in turn, his neighbors having that party for him.

 

The best part though, was Tommy. Through him, Bill can meet more of Johnny's family -- the family that wants to meet him. :)

I'm glad you liked it, Lisa. I wasn't sure how people were going to take it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/28/2016 06:02 AM, hohochan657 said:

A beautiful tale of friendship, sharing and love in many sense of the word. For me that is the Christmas spirit ...

 

Thank you !

:thankyou:

Thanks for the review. I am glad you enjoyed it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/27/2016 01:11 AM, Caz Pedroso said:

This made me smile and cry at the same time.

 

It was in part a wonderful story of how Bill finds he has more friends and family than he thought he had.

 

The other part that made it sad for me was not only was the love of his life dead, but Jonny didn't get the chance to meet his nephew and the other members of his family that still cared.

 

A wonderfully written piece, from one of my favourite authors.

 

:hug:

Thank you for the review, Caz. I just wanted to show that sometimes the best family is the one we make for ourselves. For Bill it was his neighbors and now the family of his partner. Ties of both family, community, gay, and straight. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/28/2016 08:42 PM, jfalkon said:

I realy enjoyed this. When Bill first woke up to find his home rearanged I though it might have been something supernatural but I guess he was just a sound sleeper.

His relationship with his neighbors is something to aspire to. Having friends near by is priceless.

In some respects, Bill is based on me. I can sleep like the dead, as long as you don't touch me the house could come down and I'd never wake. His friendship with friends and neighbors is something to aspire to. Thank you for the kind review.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/29/2016 03:03 AM, Cole Matthews said:

What a sweet and lovely story. I think having the intersection of older and younger gay men is good for the community. Some of us longer in tooth and shorter of nail have some experiences that are important to share. Younger gay men have a vitality and perspective which invigorates. Thank you for showing us that in such a subtle and profound way. Great job!!!

Thank you Cole. In many respects, older people are just ignored. Sometimes, just taking the time to say hello opens a door into a wealth of knowledge. Kindness is the gift that keeps on giving. Thank you for the review.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/30/2016 03:59 AM, Puppilull said:

It was heartwarming to see just how deeply Bill has touched his neighbours even without noticing himself. Just being there for everyone. I'm glad they took the opportunity to show him how much he means to them.

 

For him to meet Tommy will hopefully connect him with that part of the family. I think Bill and Tommy can both learn from each other.

Thank you, Pupp. I don't think most of us know the impression we make on others. The acts of kindness or casual cruelty can do much to those around us, either to help or harm them. Bill is just a kind soul trying his best, and it is coming back to him. Thank you for the review.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..