Jump to content
    Drew Payne
  • Author
  • 878 Words
  • 1,430 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The World Out There - 13. Thirteen

When it came time for Mrs Stewart-Graham to present Liam’s defence, she had stood up and in her clear voice said, “We call our first witness: Mrs Nicola Webb!”

She was his Form Teacher. In puzzlement, Liam had watched her walk into the courtroom. What did she know about him, beyond his name? She had barely spoken to him in all the time she had been his Form Teacher. Most days she hadn’t even looked at him.

Mrs Webb wore her usual clothes of a colourful blouse and a plain skirt. That day, her blouse was turquoise with a loose and floppy bow at her neck and a black and pleated skirt. Her hair was held back in a ponytail that seemed to sprout out from the back of her head, but she had worn her hair like this every day at school that he could remember. The biggest change in her was that she was very pregnant. Her swelling belly and unusually large breasts pushed out against her clothes and had changed her walk into an ungainly, but still fast, waddle.

She was so pregnant: had it been so long since he’d last seen her since the last day he had gone to school? It didn’t feel that long.

Under Mrs Stewart-Graham’s precisely worded questions, Mrs Webb told the courtroom that Liam had never been in trouble at school, that he never got a detention, that he never fought or even raised his voice in class. (She seemed to have forgotten about the detention he got for punching Rhys Clarke, when he tried to fight back) Mrs Webb had answered all Mrs Stewart-Graham’s questions, but her voice sounded weak and soft in that courtroom. It wasn’t the sharp and loud voice she used in class, especially when she was telling them off.

When it was his turn, Mr Spencer rose to his feet and asked Mrs Webb, “What was the defendant’s favourite subjects at school?”

“I don’t remember,” Mrs Webb replied, her voice sounding even weaker.

“What were his worst subjects?” Mr Spencer asked her.

“I don’t remember,” she replied.

“What were his best subjects?”

“I… I don’t remember,” her face flushed deeply as she spoke,

“You don’t remember anything about the defendant, do you Mrs Webb?”

“Liam was one of those quiet pupils who sat in the middle of a classroom and didn’t cause any trouble,” Mrs Webb protested. “He didn’t fight or get into trouble or anything like that. He was just quiet.”

“Yes, Mrs Webb, he was very quiet,” Mr Spencer replied. “And still waters often run very deep. I have no further questions to ask you.” He then just sat down, leaving Mrs Webb to walk out of the courtroom with a very embarrassed air to her. She didn’t look towards Liam once.

Next Mrs Stewart-Graham called Janice Thomas. Liam recognised that name - it was his social worker. But he had only met her twice: the first time, she’d wanted his mother to sign some of her paperwork; the second time, she had been shouted at by his mother, but his mother shouted at a lot of people. Janice Thomas had shouted back at her, which didn’t often happen, and didn’t silence her for a moment. Janice Thomas was no Miss James.

Janice Thomas was a short and plump woman with very long light brown hair. That day, she wore her hair in a loose bun on the back of her head, and she was dressed in a dark blue jacket and pale tan trousers. She seemed very confident as she walked into the courtroom. She certainly didn’t seem intimidated by it.

Again Mrs Stewart-Graham’s questions were carefully worded and to the point. Janice Thomas told the court that Liam had not caused any problems at Rokeby House: he had been a “model child” there, whatever that meant. She also told them that Liam had never been in trouble with the police before, not even for petty crime. Janice Thomas went on to explain that, in her experience, children involved in violence had a history of petty and escalating crime, that they’d had numerous involvements with the police, and Liam had none of that.

Mr Spencer’s cross-examination of her had been short. He had started by asking her, “How many times did you visit the defendant at Rokeby House?”

“Twice,” Janice Thomas replied, her confidence obviously slipping.

“Didn’t you meet the defendant’s mother more times than you met him?” Mr Spencer said, a smirk curling up the edge of his strong mouth and exposing some of his perfect white teeth.

“Miss Duffield is a very demanding woman,” Janice Thomas replied, a nervous edge now to her voice. “She’s Liam’s mother.”

“You only met the defendant twice, so how are you qualified to give evidence towards his character?”

“I read all the handover reports the Rokeby House staff wrote about him,” she protested.

“And how many of those staff are trained mental health nurses, psychologists or social workers?”

“Well, none of them but…”

“So they are hardly qualified to assess how dangerous the defendant is,” he said, interrupting whatever she was going to say. “I have no more questions for you, Miss Thomas.” He added before quickly sitting back down again.

Copyright © 2021 Drew Payne; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Angry 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor Liam, it looks as if the defence witnesses are being torn apart by the prosecutor. At least his lawyer didn't upset the judge this time.

Everyone in the courtroom apart from his lawyer and the jury has already decided that Liam is guilty of murder and this trial is a waste of time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Poor Liam, it looks as if the defence witnesses are being torn apart by the prosecutor. At least his lawyer didn't upset the judge this time.

Everyone in the courtroom apart from his lawyer and the jury has already decided that Liam is guilty of murder and this trial is a waste of time.

Mrs Stewart-Graham wasn't very "respectful" to the prosecution witnesses either and she lives to upset the judge (during this trial).

I won't be too sure that the jury hasn't yet decided that Liam is guilty, Liam can't what's happening outside the court room and he can’t read people’s faces yet.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Drew Payne said:

Mrs Stewart-Graham wasn't very "respectful" to the prosecution witnesses either and she lives to upset the judge (during this trial).

I won't be too sure that the jury hasn't yet decided that Liam is guilty, Liam can't what's happening outside the court room and he can’t read people’s faces yet.

I fully expect the jury to either come back with no verdict, thus causing the trial to fail or for them to find Liam guilty. Which would mean a retrial or an appeal.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

I fully expect the jury to either come back with no verdict, thus causing the trial to fail or for them to find Liam guilty. Which would mean a retrial or an appeal.

That's fascinating. I know where the trial will end and I know what's happening outside of the trial (which Liam has been shielded from), and your take on it is fascinating. Thank you :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..