Jump to content
    Drew Payne
  • Author
  • 596 Words
  • 1,509 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The World Out There - 12. Twelve

The last witness the prosecution called was Gemma Clarke, Rhys Clarke’s mother. She was wearing a black trouser suit and white blouse as she strode into the courtroom, Liam was surprised by how much she resembled Rhys. She had the same pale skin, the same blonde hair, though hers was worn a neat long style, that day tied back into a ponytail at the back of her neck, and she even had the same strong profile to her face.

She had addressed the courtroom from the witness box with a voice as strong as her presence. She told the court, from questions promoted by Mr Spencer, how wonderful and loving her son was. She told them how Rhys had been her life and had brought light into her life, and how losing him had turned off that light. Lastly, she told them how well Rhys had been doing at school and how he’d been a model pupil. She knew no reason why Liam had killed him, though she called Liam “that Andrews boy”, Rhys had never hurt anyone, he’d had so many friends at school.

Mrs Stewart-Graham’s first question, in her cross-examination of Gemma Clarke had been straight-to-the-point.

“Mrs Clarke, you said that your son was a model pupil.”

“My Rhys was the best.”

“Then why was he disciplined so much for bullying?”

“Remove the jury now!” The judge’s voice boomed out across the courtroom.

Again the jury filed out of the courtroom, a very uncomfortable silence fell over the whole room as they did. It was only broken, after all the jury had finally left there and the door was closed on them, by the judge shouting back at Mrs Stewart-Graham.

“Mrs Stewart-Graham I warned you about this! This line of questioning is totally unacceptable!”

“Your honour, the witness opened up this line of questioning when she claimed her son was a ‘model pupil.’ I have evidence that he was disciplined, multiple times at school, for bullying other pupils.”

“My Rhys was a good boy and that little bastard knifed him to death because he was jealous of my Rhys!” Gemma Clarke shouted out from the witness box.

“Mrs Clarke!” The judge shouted back. “You are a grieving mother but there is no excuse for that kind of language and behaviour in my court.”

“Sorry, your honour,” Gemma Clarke mumbled.

“As for you, Mrs Stewart-Graham,” the judge then turned his attention onto her. “I will not have you blackening a victim’s reputation in my court.”

“But the jury needs to hear this. Rhys Clarke wasn’t the perfect angel he has been portrayed in this courtroom,” Mrs Stewart-Graham protested.

“I have spoken on this, and you will not undermine me,” the judge told her. “Change your line of questioning or stop asking questions of this witness.”

“Yes, your honour,” Mrs Stewart-Graham said, though there was a heavy tone of anger in her voice.

“Bring the jury back,” the judge commanded.

The jury were then brought back into the courtroom, but it seemed to take an age for them to file back into the jury box as they awkwardly took their seats. When they were all finally settled, the judge said: “Right! Mrs Stewart-Graham, continue your cross-examination.”

“This witness has told us far more than we need to know. I have no further questions for her,” she replied before sitting down, as Gemma Clarke glared back at her.

Liam felt that exchange had been important in some way, but he didn’t know how. He hoped the jury did, but he didn’t dare look at them.

Copyright © 2021 Drew Payne; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Sad 5
  • Angry 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is one biased Judge, who it appears doesn't want to here the truth or let the jury here the truth. Poor Liam stands no chance with this Judge. It evident this Judge doesn't believe in Innocent until found guilty.

Edited by chris191070
  • Like 4
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

This is one biased Judge, who it appears doesn't want to here the truth or let the jury here the truth. Poor Liam stands no chance with this Judge. It evident this Judge doesn't believe in Innocent until found guilty.

This judge was based on the judge at the trial I watched but I have added more to him.

I made the judge have the values and judgements of the establishment/society, the prejudices and opinions based solely on the crime a person has committed. Like so many people, the judge only sees Liam as a knife welding killer.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

The judge is giving Liam’s barrister plenty of scope for appeal. And the jury by now must have figured out that Rhys wasn’t a model student, whatever the prosecution may have asserted. But even so, these are scant rays of hope for Liam. 

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

The judge is giving Liam’s barrister plenty of scope for appeal. And the jury by now must have figured out that Rhys wasn’t a model student, whatever the prosecution may have asserted. But even so, these are scant rays of hope for Liam. 

The judge's behaviour and the question of an appeal will be addressed but later. Unfortunately, the jury isn't living in a vacuum, and that will be addressed later. This story is seen from Liam's point-of-view and therefore we find out information as Liam does, so there will be a bit of a lag in this happening because he isn’t at the centre of events in his life.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..