Jump to content
    Drew Payne
  • Author
  • 1,401 Words
  • 3,148 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The World Out There - 1. One

His room was quiet today. Usually he would have his radio on, filling the room with noise and music and sound, chasing away the silence, but not today. He couldn’t take the risk of hearing the radio news, not today.

He sat on the window’s wide, wooden sill and stared down at the street below through the window’s dirt smeared glass. He was only four floors up, but already the people in the street seemed small, like little animated dolls. Everyone down there seemed to be hurrying along the pavements or rushing across the narrow street. Did those people have somewhere where they had to be, or were they hurrying away from something? Liam stretched his back against the stiffness pulling at the base of his spine from sitting there so long. He arched his back again and stopped. He wasn’t Liam anymore - he was Leo Brown, and he had to remember that.

For the last four weeks now, his world had been reduced down to this one room, but at least he was safe here. For the time being, he was safe here.

Liam turned his head and glanced at his room. No… Leo did, not Liam, but Leo. It was a small but functional room, tucked into the eves of the building. It was barely two and a half times bigger than the old single bed pushed against one wall, and was dominated by the bay window, with its wide wooden window sill that pushed out from the building’s roof. Light would flood in through it during the day and sitting in it gave him a view of the street below, which always seemed busy with activity.

This room was so tatty and even smaller than his one at Nurton Cross, but everything was so different than it had been at Nurton Cross.

His room was on the fourth floor of a run-down Bed & Breakfast hotel, south of Waterloo station. His floor was probably the attic, tucked in under the building’s roof. There were three other rooms on this floor, but at least there was a loo and shower room too. He would hear people in the other rooms, but he didn’t know who any of them were. He barely left his room. He only left it to use the loo and to go out once a day to buy his food for that day. There was a small supermarket three streets away, and he could shop there without the need to speak to anyone. He only wanted to leave his room for the shortest time each day possible. He didn’t like it here, but at least he felt safe here, or he had.

Donna, his resettlement worker, had found him this room but he’d had no choice in it. She’d met him on that first day and taken him here in her old car, barely speaking to him on the long journey. When she’d shown him the room, she’d handed him the radio she had bought for him, and then left him alone. She’d barely stayed two minutes in his room. He’d been told that she was there to help him adjust to his new life, but she seemed to want to spend as little time with him as possible. Did she know his real name? She did call him Leo all the time, but she always said it so purposefully, as if forcing herself to remember it. He hadn’t seen her since she had brought him here four weeks ago.

Before he’d left Nurton Cross, she made him fill out the forms to make sure he got his benefits and told him she would find him a room in a temporary accommodation. A week before he was due to leave, she told him she’d found him this room, but that was all she told him about the room. He knew nothing about this until Donna brought him here on that first day. There was no chance he could return to living with his mother, and nobody had even suggested that.

The more he thought about it, and he had plenty of time to think, because there was nothing else to do here, the more he was certain that Donna knew who he was.

He stood up from the window sill - the old wood had become uncomfortable. His buttocks and the back of his thighs had become numb. He stretched his back again and slowly walked the few steps towards the armchair. He then sat down onto it. The armchair’s seat sank down under him, the metal springs in it squeaking as it did. It always did this, but he ignored it. He rested back into it.

He had only taken a journey away from this room twice since he’d moved here, and both times it had been to visit his Probation Officer, Bryn.

He’d been able to catch a bus directly to and from Bryn’s office, which was housed in gleaming office block up at Euston. He’d thought that buildings like that one had only been built in Docklands, not the Euston Road. It seemed to be completely made from glass - huge floor-to-ceiling windows right across the whole building. He’d felt intimidated when he’d entered the building. He was greeted by a large white and sparsely furnished reception area, with a woman dressed in a security guard’s uniform sat behind a glass and metal desk. He’d had to walk up to her and tell her his name before he was allowed to ride the lift up to Bryn’s office. As he’d done so, his heart had been pounding inside his chest. He had to remember his new name and say it right.

Bryn’s office was small and in a sea of similar offices covering the same floor. He’d had problems finding it - they were all the same in that criss-crossing landscape. Bryn was sat behind a Formica desk which was strangely empty, his dark hair cut so short that it seemed to bristle over his head. He wore a very tight white shirt, with his strong muscles very visible underneath. The man’s sheer physical presence seemed to fill the small space. Liam had sat on an uncomfortable plastic chair - not just the chair making him feel uncomfortable - as Bryn reeled off his questions in a cold and unfriendly tone.

“What’s your mobile phone’s number?” Bryn asked.

“I don’t have one,” he said.

“What?... Oh, right,” Bryn replied.

Bryn’s whole tone had been cold and distant towards him. It was obvious Bryn knew his real name and his history.

The worst part of those days had been the forty minute or so bus ride there and back. As it pulled up to the Bus Stop, the bus was bright, shiny red and modern on the outside, not what he remembered. When he boarded it, he found it was equally bright inside, dominated by yellow handrails. His eyes had hurriedly searched for somewhere to hide but there wasn’t any. Even the back seat of the bus was open and bright. He hurriedly sat himself down on an empty seat, tipped his head down and pulled the hood of his hoodie over his head as far as it would go.

This bus was so much cleaner and smoother and modern than he remembered them being. He could have enjoyed traveling on them, but he felt so exposed. He expected someone to recognise him and call out his old name. The other passengers there seemed to be staring at each other. Then he saw the CCTV screen, sat under the electronic display boards, that announced the name of the next stop. It was showing him images of the bus’s interior, the images of different passengers appearing on it in rotation. Then his own image appeared, in side on profile, sat on his seat, only a brown turf of hair sticking out from under his hoodie, his fringe escaping its covering. His very face was up there on that CCTV screen where anyone could see him and recognise him. He was so open and exposed there.

No one spoke to him or even seemed to say anything on that bus, he was able to leave it in silence when it reached his stop, but that didn’t ease his nerves. He only felt safe when he was finally locked away in his room again.

Copyright © 2021 Drew Payne; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 5
  • Fingers Crossed 2
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Intriguing 🤔 

I guess “Leo” is an ex-con currently in some kind of witness program?
I can hardly wait for the next chapter(s)!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, RoyKing said:

Intriguing 🤔 

I guess “Leo” is an ex-con currently in some kind of witness program?
I can hardly wait for the next chapter(s)!

Oh, spoilers.

I didn't want to say anymore but all will be revealed but only as the story goes on. This is a slow burn of a story, I am currently writing chapter twenty and I'm just over halfway through the story.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 6/24/2021 at 6:08 PM, chris191070 said:

Interesting start to the story. Look forward to finding out more about Leo.

Thank you. More to come soon.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I’m hooked into Liam-Leo’s mystery. Great start. 

Thank you. That's high praise.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Had to stir up my memories of the U.K. for this story. Euston is familiar.

I think Liam aka 'Leo Brown' is in a 'relocation' plan, but for witnesses not criminals (although we may find out he may have been unwillingly dragged into a criminal act). His fear of being identified, is revealed in his bus trip to see his 'Probation Officer', when his face is shown on CCTV.

Liam thinks about not being able to go back to his Mother and Nurton Cross (where his former 'room' was larger than his current B&B room).  IF Liam had been in gaol / jail, his cell would have been barely half the size of his current bolthole. 

It seems a sad tale as it begins, but I hope things get better for Liam.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Had to stir up my memories of the U.K. for this story. Euston is familiar.

I think Liam aka 'Leo Brown' is in a 'relocation' plan, but for witnesses not criminals (although we may find out he may have been unwillingly dragged into a criminal act). His fear of being identified, is revealed in his bus trip to see his 'Probation Officer', when his face is shown on CCTV.

Liam thinks about not being able to go back to his Mother and Nurton Cross (where his former 'room' was larger than his current B&B room).  IF Liam had been in gaol / jail, his cell would have been barely half the size of his current bolthole. 

It seems a sad tale as it begins, but I hope things get better for Liam.

This story is about redemption but that is a long way down the line.

I am fascinated by your take on this opening chapter, I worried that I had given away too much information here.

Thanks for your feedback and happy reading.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Doesn't seem like witness protection, more like a renaming of a child convicted of a serious crime, a bit like John Venables/ Robert Thompson (2 10 year old boys who abducted and killed a 2 year old boy). 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Paqman said:

Doesn't seem like witness protection, more like a renaming of a child convicted of a serious crime, a bit like John Venables/ Robert Thompson (2 10 year old boys who abducted and killed a 2 year old boy). 

@Paqman, oooh spoilers.

I've just posted Chapter 22 so it's not really a spoiler to say your right. But so much of this story is how he got where he is now and who he is.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..