Jump to content
    FrankD
  • Author
  • 2,558 Words
  • 3,364 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fourth Down - 15. Chapter 15

It was raining as we got to the airport a good half hour before my parents’ fight came in. So Dale and I went to the coffee shop inside the building while we waited for them to land.

“Do you think this weather will delay them? I ask.

“It shouldn’t, “He replied while taking a whiff of his coffee, enjoying the aroma coming from his cup. “I don’t think the rain is coming down hard enough for that.”

“I guess you’re right.” I say with a sigh, before taking a sip of my own coffee.

“You alright Babe?” Dale asks, seemingly noticing my nervousness.

“I’m fine.” I tell him, though I doubt I am convincing anyone.

Over the last few days I have been meeting up with the new prosecutor, to talk about the upcoming court case about what I should expect, if there was anything else I could add. They even asked me some questions, like whether or not Mayon and I were ever in a relationship, whether or not I initiated things, explaining to me that these questions could be asked of me by the defense if I was ever to take the stand. Fortunately Mr Peterson was there as well, taking what he called an advisory role. Both he and Dale offered me comfort when I was starting to feel overwhelmed. Mr Erichson, the new prosecutor, was rather sympathetic to my cause. He said that he hated that part of the prep work needed to get victims ready for court. They also mentioned that while Mayson was being cooperative at the moment, there was still the possibility that he could stop, and try and make things harder.

“You sure?” Dale asks, reaching across our table in the coffee shop and squeezing my hand reassuringly.

I smile at him, feeling comforted by just his touch. “Yea. I guess with everything the last few days with the prosecutor, and thinking about Mayon, has been messing with me a bit.” I reveal.

During the meetings, there were a few more details about Mayson, that were revealed to us, apparently Mayson is gay, according to his so called parents who have not once gone to see their son. He is on medication for apparent depression, which could be related to losing both his legs. It just feels as if he has no one in his corner, and that saddens me for some reason. By all rights I should hate him for what he did to me. And while part of that is true, I just can’t help but feel sorry for him. He must feel so alone.

“You have such a big heart, Baby.” He says after I tell him what has been running through my mind in regards to Mayson. “Mayson did a monstrous thing to you. His current situation should not negate his crimes. Hopefully he’ll get the help he needs, but that is not going to happen if he manages to escape justice.” He says.

“You’re right.” I smile solemnly at him.

Just then I notice on the arrivals board behind Dale’s head, that my parents’ flight should be here in about five minutes. So we both finish our coffees and are soon at the departure gate for their flight just as the doors open, allowing the passengers to spill out of the doors.

“There they are.” Dale says pointing at two vividly red haired people making their way through the crowd, and sure enough, it is my parents.

Upon seeing us, a great big smile forms on my mother’s face and they both beeline for the both of us. Taking us each in their arms in greeting, with my Mother giving both Dale and I a kiss on our cheeks.

“How was the flight?” I ask, as we begin making our way out of the airport.

“It was good.” My mother says. “There was this lovely couple in the row in front of us with such a beautifully well behaved baby. The precious thing kept smiling at us, when it was being burped after a feed.”

My mother has always loved kids, especially babies. She would always go gaga over the new ones who were brought to Sunday Services. She has also always looked forward to being a grandmother, and I always felt a little guilty that I wouldn’t be able to give her any.

“Hunter.” She says gently as she links her arm in mine. “I know exactly what you’re thinking Baby, and you’re wrong. Just because you’re gay does not mean you can’t have kids, and me talking about the child was not meant to imply that I was hinting at being a grandmother. You know I have a soft spot for the little ones.” She smiles at me. “Whether or not you choose to have children is completely up to you. Don’t let anyone pressure you into something you don’t want or need.” She adds, as she gently squeezes my arm to emphasise her words.

I just kissed her temple in response. I also notice Dale giving me a gentle smile as he’s placing their luggage in the trunk of his car.

Once we get home we are greeted by the wonderful aroma emanating from the kitchen.

“Ooh Dale, is that oxtail I can smell?”

“It sure is.” He smiles, as he takes our coats to hang them up. “Hunter and I prepared it this morning before class.”

“What he means is; he did most of the prepwork, while bossing me around to clean up after him.” I smile

“Well if I didn’t, you’d be just trying to distract me. Like this.” He says, as he wraps his arms around me.

“Would that really be so bad?” I teasingly ask.

“Only if you wanted us to starve to death, but otherwise no.” He says, giving me a quick peck on my lips.

“Well it smells absolutely delicious.” She says, smiling at our display of affection we have for each other.

And it was, Dad even had seconds, complementing Dale for his cooking skills. After dinner I had to send my dear Mother off to rest, as she kept trying to clean up. Dale and I kept reminding her that she was the guest.

“Nonsense, I am family, and Dale made such a wonderful meal, it is only right that your Father and I clean up.” She said, trying to push us out of our kitchen.

“No Mom, both of you do a lot as it is. Now both of you go to the lounge, we will be done with this shortly.” I try to say, but my Mother is holding her ground, and my Father is just standing there, seemingly being entertained by our interactions. Seeing that we are not going to get anywhere, I gently picked her up, and took her over to the couch. “I love you Mom, but Dale and I have this. You relax.” I say as I gently placed her down upon the couch and gave her a kiss on her forehead.

Once the kitchen was done, we all sat together in the lounge area just catching up.

***

“That conversation with your Mother about the baby really got to you, huh.” Dale says, once are snuggled under our covers, in our darkened room.

I look over to him, his eyes gently sparkling in the moonlight spilling in from the window. “How could you tell? I ask him.

“You just looked so sad in that moment, like you do when you feel like you are letting those around you down.” He says, as he gently cups my face, while lovingly looking into my eyes.

Sighing I tell him how my Mother would talk about being a grandmother. How she loves children. “Honestly, she would make a wonderful grandmother.” I say. “I just feel bad that I may never be able to give her that.”

“Would you want to have children.” He gently asks.

“I do.” I say. “But I just don’t see how that would be feasible.”

“We have options.” He says to me. “We could get a surrogate, or we can go the adoption route.”

“We?” I ask, the thought about being a parent with Dale excites me.

“Yes ‘We’” He says gently, laughing. “I see us in this for the long haul. Old age and all that jazz.” He adds smiling.

I can’t help but kiss him at this. “I would love that. And, thank you.”

“For what?” He asks.

“For being the best boyfriend in the world.” I smile, placing another kiss on his beautiful lips.

“For you? Anything. Now let's go to sleep.” He says, snuggling into me.

***

The next morning, I am awoken by the smell of bacon wafting throughout our apartment. Mmm Dale must be cooking breakfast for us. I smile hugging the body closer to me.

Wait. If Dale is in bed with me, who is cooking breakfast. My smile only widens realising it has to be my Father. Growing up he used to make the best Sunday breakfasts. I have not had one of his breakfasts for the longest time it feels.

“Something smells good.” Dale says sleepily, as he slowly wakes up. “You should really be in the kitchen if you are cooking, Hon.” He says as he snuggles further into me.

“It’s not me who is cooking.” I say.

This causes him to sit up in bed, his dark hair going every direction, looking somewhat confused and adorable.

“My Father is cooking us breakfast it seems.” I say to his confused state.

“How do you know this?” He asks as he lays down next to me, looking at me with sleepy eyes. “For all we know it could be your Mother.”

“Listen.” I say. As we both strain our ears, listening for tell tale signs of who might be cooking. We could just hear 70s rock, the kind my Father loved, playing softly, and someone whistling in time with the music. “That’s my Dad. He likes to listen to music while cooking, especially 70s stuff, and that’s him whistling.” I say.

“So that’s where you get it from.” He gently teases.

With that we get out of bed, and greet my parents in the kitchen. Mom is nursing a cup of freshly made coffee at the table, in her pink fluffy robe, while my Father is dancing around the kitchen as he cooks, causing both Dale and I to smile at his antics as we got ourselves some coffee.

“So Dale, what are your parents like?” My Mother asks as we sit with her at the table.

“Mom likes to cook and bake, while she is not working. She also likes to dote on my nephews and nieces.” Dale says

“Oh sweet.” My mother gushes. “How old are the little ones?”
“My sister, Claudia, has three children with her husband Max, and they have twins Alicia, and Alexandra. They are both two years old now. Then there is my brother Thomas, and his wife Mary. They have two boys, Jeffery, and Jullien, also twins believe it or not, born around the same time as their cousins. And just recently they had a daughter, Evelyne.”

“Sounds like they have their hands full.” My mother says pleasantly.

“They do, but they are sweet children, and I am looking forward to officially meeting little Lyne.” He says.

“Ok breakfast is ready.” My Father says, as he places a dish full of food in front of each of us.

We continue talking about Dale’s family all through breakfast. Both Mom and Dad are happy with the fact that Dale’s Father is involved in my case, and is looking out for me.

“Well I look forward to meeting them tonight.” My Father said, as he tried to gather the plates for the dishwasher. To which I preempted him by taking his empty plate, and taking it to the kitchen.

That evening we gathered at Dale’s childhood home, almost immediately my Mother was in love with the place, and even said as much when they met his Parents’. Both sets seemed to hit it off immediately. Then came a revelation, neither of us expected. It turns out that Dale’s Mother was best friends with my Mother when they were both little girls, until Dale’s Mother had to move away and they lost contact. When they learned of this, both women became even more excitable with our fathers’ just smiling in amusement at their wives behavior. They both took out the baby pictures, which caused both Dale and I to escape to his childhood room. Which was a little bare, as most of what he had was in our apartment.

***

As the court case drew nearer and nearer, so did my anxiety about it grow. I kept thinking what if this happens, what if that happens. Just basically a lot of what if’s. Dale to his merit, tried his best to distract me, which let me tell you, is something he is very good at. As well as just trying to keep my spirits up, whenever he would notice me going into one of my downward spirals. Our parents seemed to hang out quite a bit. Over the week while Dale and I were in class, especially our mothers.

“You’ll be fine.” Dale says as he gives me a chaste kiss, while he fixed my suffocating tie for me. We were standing outside the courtroom we would be using, waiting to be let in.

“I know.” I try to smile at him. He just reaches for my hand giving it a gentle squeeze.

Once they let us in, I was to sit with the prosecution. Dale sat right behind me. Knowing that he was close helped to ease my mind a bit. He sat with our friends and both sets of parents. My team wanted to come to offer their support, but Coach only allowed a select few that he chose to join him in attendance.

A door to the side of the room opened, and I gasped at the broken sight of my former roommate as he was wheeled in and pushed towards the defense side of the room.. His eyes were emotionless and down cast, his hands cuffed to the armrests of the chair he was in. His legs, the orange jumpsuit he was in was tucked in neatly where his knees should be. He looked… empty. His lawyer caught me looking at Mayson, and the look on his face sent shivers down my spine. It was a look of utter hatred. He then turned towards Mayson clearly whispering something to him, to which Mayson just barely nodded in response.

“Please rise, for the Honorable Judge Hawthorne!” Came the order from a muscular man standing next to where the judge would be sitting.

Soon after a short lady with neat brown hair and wearing a black robe, came walking into the room. She was clearly the judge as she took her place in the courtroom. The man then said a few things regarding the case, to which the judge simply nodded.

“Could the defense please rise.” She commanded. The lawyer was the only one standing at the table. “How do we plead?” She asked as she was taking a few notes at her bench.

“Not guilty your Honour!”

Thank you for reading Chapter 15, hope you all enjoyed it ^_^
Copyright © 2021 FrankD; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 4
  • Wow 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The case the defense tries should be interesting.Why should Mayson attorney give Hunter a hateful look?He was the victim.I wonder if the attorney got a convoluted version of what happened.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

And here comes the trial!  I'm sure Mayson is a broken man with his legs gone BUT he has no one to blame but himself!!  I'm so glad Hunter has the support of his family and that of Dale's as well! Great chapter Frank it is a great read!!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Not guilty?!! I was away from GA for a bit, and I am now reading to get caught up. I am loving the relationship between Hunter and Dale, and the support Hunter is getting from both families! I enjoyed reading several chapters, but ending with "not guilty" was a bit exasperating! I am anxious for the trial to start. I can't wait to see what surprises you may have in store. Thanks. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 5/14/2021 at 11:10 PM, mfa607 said:

WOW! Thank you. Looking forward to seeing what happens with the trial!

Thanks ^_^

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 5/15/2021 at 12:57 AM, weinerdog said:

The case the defense tries should be interesting.Why should Mayson attorney give Hunter a hateful look?He was the victim.I wonder if the attorney got a convoluted version of what happened.

Something definitely smells fishy from that side of the room.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 5/15/2021 at 1:50 AM, KayDeeMac said:

And here comes the trial!  I'm sure Mayson is a broken man with his legs gone BUT he has no one to blame but himself!!  I'm so glad Hunter has the support of his family and that of Dale's as well! Great chapter Frank it is a great read!!

Thanks ^_^

Mayson made his bed, now he has to sleep in it. Hunter has a great support system, in his friends and family, as well as his team.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 5/16/2021 at 2:34 PM, JeffreyL said:

Not guilty?!! I was away from GA for a bit, and I am now reading to get caught up. I am loving the relationship between Hunter and Dale, and the support Hunter is getting from both families! I enjoyed reading several chapters, but ending with "not guilty" was a bit exasperating! I am anxious for the trial to start. I can't wait to see what surprises you may have in store. Thanks. 

hehe Welcome back and thanks 😁

 The Defense is up to something, I can just feel it in my bones :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..