Jump to content
    Geron Kees
  • Author
  • 6,595 Words
  • 2,252 Views
  • 49 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Is That A Monster in the Closet, Charlie Boone? - 7. Chapter 6

"Welcome back," Murcha said, as they took seats aboard Lollipop. "That was cutting your exit too close." The ship had left the bay of the terminal station, and now floated serenely in a high planetary orbit.

"It may have worked to our benefit," Pacha said. "By leaving scant seconds before impact, it may appear to our friends that we were obliterated by the explosions."

"They'll be on their way up here next," Onglet said. "I hope they're not looking for trouble."

"Can they hurt us?" Charlie asked, from his pylon seat.

"Not in the least. Their technical level is well down from ours. The missiles they employed used chemical explosives."

Charlie smiled at that. "That is primitive!"

"They must have a fairly decent cryptological capability, or they would never have breached the barrier around Erenar," Illia stated.

"It may have taken them some time to do that, too," Murcha returned.

Onglet chuckled. "Here they come."

The ship's main display showed a section of the pearly barrier below them. As they watched, the section became dull, then opaque, and then a round, black hole appeared. The acorn ship rose up through the hole, and then the hole closed again.

"They have turned towards us," Murcha said.

The alien ship approached their own, and they saw the unmistakable winks of more missiles being launched from the lower region of the ship.

"That's not nice!" Kippy said, slapping the armrest of his seat.

"They will be unable to penetrate our screens," Onglet said.

Indeed, the six missiles came within ten thousand miles of their ship, and then detonated against the Moth protective barrier. The light show was impressive, and Charlie instinctively held up a hand to shield his eyes, even as the display cut the illumination down to something easy to watch.

"Second stage fusion devices," Onglet said then. "Not a threat to our defenses. Shall we respond?"

All eyes turned to Charlie, who blinked in surprise. "What? I don't want to shoot at them if they can't hurt us."

Pacha tchick-tchick-tchicked. "A warning shot across their bow may make them vacate the system in a timely fashion."

Charlie laughed at that. "What about it, Onglet? Can you give them a scare?"

"It would be my pleasure, Charlie."

They heard a small tzzing from somewhere belowdecks, and four dark, ghostly vortexes leaped out at the alien ship. They crossed the interval in a few seconds, and looked to just graze by the alien vessel before disappearing into the darkness beyond.

The alien acorn suddenly turned, and began to diminish in size. Quickly.

"I think that gave 'em something to think about," Mike said, laughing. "Gravity vortexes aren't no joking matter."

Charlie leaned back in his pylon seat and closed his eyes. He felt a touch on his arm, and opened them again. Kippy smiled at him. "Tired?"

"Yes. I feel relieved, though. I think we got this done the way it was supposed to be done."

"We'll know shortly."

Murcha had provided seats so that everyone could sit in a large circle, and now that the enemy craft had fled, they felt free to go and do just that. Kippy took Charlie's hand and led him to the soft circular sofa, pushed him down into it, and sat next to him, making sure he was right up against his boyfriend.

"Let me know if you feel crowded," Kippy said, putting an arm around Charlie's shoulders.

Charlie smiled. "I'm good."

In fact, there seemed to be a lot of romance and good feelings in the room. Ricky and Adrian looked much like Charlie and Kippy, sitting quite close together and smiling and talking. Mike and Bobby held a similar pose, with Pacha leaned back in the sofa on Mike's free side. Frit and Pip were sitting side by side with their legs crossed over, laughing over something, while Keerby sat nearby and grinned.

Kontus and Ragal had taken up positions on either side of their little guest, who, now that the scary part was over, seemed quite animated and happy. The small alien had a small voice as well, and spoke in a tongue that did not yet translate through their Kifta translators. Ragal seemed able to talk to the little guy already nonetheless, albeit hesitantly, and Kontus seemed quite satisfied to sit and watch and learn.

Pacha raised a small hand of his own, and Mike cleared his throat loudly. Bobby grinned at that, and laid his head on Mike's shoulder. Kippy sighed at the sight, and cuddled even closer to Charlie. Charlie just sighed happily.

"If I may," Pacha began. The conversation slowed, and then stopped as everyone turned to look at the little koala. "There are important questions that need to be answered." He turned immediately to Keerby. "What of the time discontinuity you were worried about?"

Keerby looked startled at the sudden attention, and smiled a little shyly. "Well, it's passed. We have managed to preserve the main timeline."

Pacha nodded. "And?"

Keerby looked hesitant, and Frit and Pip laughed. Frit poked Keerby in the ribs. "He means what does that mean!"

"Oh." The elf looked embarrassed. "Well, as I said, this was to be an instant where a singular event could only go one of two ways. In this instance, I believe it was that we kept the Tarvil from being taken away, which points to the pivotal action being him living or dying."

"Obviously, he lived," Pacha reminded.

"Yes, and that was apparently the course of action needed." Keerby smiled at the small alien next to Ragal. "At some future date, this little guy is going to be important to the welfare of the universe."

Kontus looked amazed. "This small creature? Are you sure?"

"Well--" Keerby shrugged "-- yeah. Again, it might not be just something he does, but something he does in connection with others."

Adrian squeezed his eyes shut. "One guess who these others might be."

"Not necessarily," Keerby replied. But then he grinned. "But highly likely."

Charlie smiled at the elf. "Thank you for coming along with us and keeping time at bay. We couldn't have done this without your help."

Keerby blushed. "Actually, this is the most fun I think I've ever had. If you ever need me again, just let me know."

Kippy shook his head. "Amazing, how so many things needed to happen just so we could be here to keep those creeps from capturing this guy."

"We all had to be here," Keerby pointed out. "Every one of us had some part in this, even if we have no idea what it was. But the end result was that the Tarvil was saved."

Ragal raised a hand. "I must say something. We must not call our new friend 'the Tarvil'. Rather than being his name, it is a highly derogatory term in his native language, and not one we would wish to use with a friend. His name is Casperkupratonnagalish, but he said we can call him Casper for short."

Kippy laughed. "Good thing! I think we'd sprain our tongues with the full name." He leaned forward, drawing Charlie with him, and smiled at the little alien. "Hi, Casper. I'm Kippy. And this is Charlie."

Casper's large gray eyes watched Kippy solemnly, but a trace of a smile tugged at his thin, small mouth. "Kipp-eee. Cher-lee."

Kippy looked delighted. " A little practice, and you'll have it down pat."

Names were traded all around, and Casper repeated each with grave intensity.

"Serious little guy, isn't he?" Mike asked.

"He is young," Ragal offered. "Perhaps not as old as yourselves."

Kippy's jaw dropped. "A kid! And those creeps were chasing him around, trying to kill him!" He crossed his arms and fumed. "We should have shot their legs off and left them on one of those metal roadways on the planet. One big truck coming along would have taught them a few manners!"

A round of amazed laughter circled the sofa, and Charlie leaned against his boyfriend and kissed his cheek. "Temper, temper."

Kippy pouted, and then shook his head. "That's awful." His eyes moved to Casper again, and he managed a smile. "I'm just glad we could help."

"There is another matter of importance," Pacha said. "The alien leader said that Casper escaped their ship, and came down in one of the space elevators, and that they could not follow him that way."

Charlie nodded, remembering. "So?"

Pacha's muzzle twitched in a smile. "How was that done? We were only able to do it because our shipminds were superior and able to overpower the mind running the terminal station, which allowed us to board. And then we were only able to come down in the elevator car because Illia took charge of that system." Pacha turned and offered another Kift smile to Casper. "So how did our little friend manage that trip?"

Charlie was not alone in turning to stare at Casper.

Pacha continued. "There is also the matter of our sudden loss of communication at the storage tanks with Murcha, Onglet, and Illia, when they say that they could hear us, but we could not seem to hear them. I suspect that was an illusion, and that we simply were made not to hear."

Ragal held up a hand. "I agree. As to how our new friend gained access to the space elevator, I have been communicating with Casper, albeit slowly, and have been told something of his escape. I have concluded that his powers are not simply those of illusion. He seems to have a way with machines, as well."

Frit laughed. "Just like Grandpa Max!"

Charlie smiled at that, recalling how the older elf had made contact with Murcha when the Moth spacecraft was first parked in Charlie's backyard, and convinced the shipmind to allow them aboard. "So when will we have the full story?"

Ragal smiled. "As I said, I am pretty good with languages. Once I have a good handle on Casper's, I'll train the translators, and it will be easier for all of us to talk."

Pacha's muzzle crinkled in another almost smile. "That will take a little time, will it not?"

Ragal's smile widened. "A little time, yes."

The Kift looked satisfied. "Then I suggest we head to Engris, where we can all take a little time to rest."

"And visit the market!" Adrian said, smiling.

"And buy goodies!" Pip added

"Ooh!" Frit cooed, grinning.

Keerby nodded. "A couple of keepsakes might be fun, to go with my suit of many colors."

Mike leaned against Bobby, and kissed his cheek. "Take a quick jaunt to the spirit dome with me, to see your grandma?"

Bobby's eyes glowed. "Sure!"

Kippy's unhappiness with their former adversaries faded as if by magic. "Ooh! We can see Billy and Will!"

Kontus looked happy. "I can work on selling some of those trinkets I picked up at the Tower of Arimides."

Ricky looked over at Charlie and grinned. "I'm starting to feel like a pro at this outer space adventuring stuff."

Charlie nodded, feeling a certain peace settle over him. "Yeah. Me, too."

Pacha waved a hand at them. "Everyone, wish to go to Engris!"

And so they did.


* * * * * * *

 

The inn was quiet. The courtesy expected of all on Engris extended to every aspect of life there, and there simply was no reckless activity. There were many establishments on Engris that set a fine table and offered beverages of the stimulating variety, but the activity was well-policed by the owners of these places, and patrons were not allowed to wander away drunk, high, or otherwise too impaired for their own good. That was not to say that there were not those on Engris who enjoyed going off on the occasional tear, but they were wise enough to do it aboard their own ships or in their own homes, and stay in afterwards to recover. Others would head back to normal space to find such entertainment, and not return until it was well behind them. Engris was a state of mind as much as a place to live and do business, and those lucky enough to be allowed to land there or live there had learned to guard that right jealously.

They all felt the need to rest after their adventure, and Pacha had suggested getting rooms at an inn where they could have some privacy and relax. Much as they liked the company of Murcha, Onglet, and Illia, neither Pacha's ship nor Lollipop were really comfortable enough with such a crowd aboard as they had now. Here at the inn, Charlie and Kippy could have their own room, as could the others, and they had slept a wonderful couple of subjective nights together wrapped in each other's arms, with no cares at all to bother them. There in no-time they could relax and reinvigorate themselves, without thought or worry about what might be slipping by them back on Earth. It was a much needed rest, and they had decided to stay over another subjective day or three before heading home.

"Just as long as I don't miss Halloween," Kippy reminded, as they relaxed after the evening meal. Rick and Adrian had the adjoining room on one side, and Mike and Bobby the one on the other. The six of them had joined up for an evening of talk and general bullshit, and were kicked back in the seating area of their rooms, two grand sofas that faced each other across a generous coffee table, and a few satellite chairs placed about. The inn was one that let you design your own accommodations, and the boys had made certain that each suite had a place that would allow all of them to visit together.

"You're not going to miss Halloween," Charlie said, sighing. "Keerby said he could have us back less than two minutes after we left. Then you'll be bored, waiting for Thursday evening."

"I'm never bored, Charlie." Kippy grinned and waved a hand around the room. "With this bunch? It's like sitting in the front row at the circus with the lions and the elephants just ten feet away."

They all laughed at that, and Ricky turned and kissed Adrian's cheek playfully. "Hear that? I'm a lion. What are you?"

Adrian was not about to be cast as an elephant. He turned and looked his boyfriend over carefully, and then smiled. "I'm the lion tamer. So watch your manners, Richard Travers!"

Charlie joined the others in oohing over that, and laughing. Ricky's eyes grew large, and then he grinned. "Gonna whip me with your big whip?"

Adrian tried hard not to laugh. "I will if I have to."

Ricky sighed, and extended both arms, as if to have the cuffs placed on him. "Take me away and do your wickedest."

Mike, sitting with his arm around Bobby, gave the boy a squeeze. "You're gonna learn all sorts of strange love rituals from these Yanks. Better watch yourself."

Bobby smiled, but pretended to be affronted. "Let me remind you that I'm a Yank, too."

"Oh, I'll break you of that," Mike returned, sweetly. "Have you humpin' like an excited wombat and lovin' every minute of it."

Bobby started laughing, and leaned his head against Mike's. "Charlie, what do they do to these guys in Australia to make them so nutty?"

"You got me. Someone told me they grow guys on trees there."

"More like in them," Kippy said, tossing Mike a toothy smile.

Mike grinned. "There's not a single monkey in Oz, Kipper. Well, outside of the government, maybe."

Someone knocked on the door of their room then, and Charlie jumped up to see who it was. They had specified an old fashioned, genuine Earth-type door with a knob that turned for their room, tired of all the fancy doors they'd been dealing with that slid up, down, to the side, spilt in the middle, or dilated in some strange manner. Charlie grabbed the knob and opened the door, knowing full well that the inn's security was top-notch, and that this was Engris, after all.

It was Ragal. The man smiled at him, and motioned with his hand at the room beyond. "It sounds like you're having fun. May we come in for a visit?"

Charlie blinked. "We?"

Just then, a small brown face peeked around Ragal at the hip. A thin arm came out, and waved timidly. "Hi, Charlie."

Charlie couldn't help smiling. "Casper! What are you doing back there?"

The little alien came out of hiding, and smiled up at him. "Ragal said we would surprise you."

Charlie gaped at the perfect English he was hearing. Well, the perfect translation he was hearing from his translator, anyway. "Hey, wow! That's great!"

Ragal smiled again. "Surprise! I uploaded a new language revision to your ear pieces. It's safe to say that Casper is now ninety-five percent compatible with all the various tongues he will encounter. And I am working on that last five percent needed to get the job completed."

Charlie stepped back and waved the two inside. "Come on in. We're just hanging out. I know the guys will be thrilled to see you both."

Ragal used a hand to gently usher Casper into the room, and Charlie closed the door behind them. Casper was wearing a new suit a soft green in color, and looked comfortable and happy. He had taken well to the tolerant atmosphere of Engris, and had been nothing but smiles among his new friends.

The others clapped when they saw who it was, and waved at Casper, and Kippy asked him how he was doing.

"Good. Ragal and I came to surprise you with talk."

The guys looked amazed, and Kippy clasped his hands together in front of his chest and just beamed. "Oh, that's wonderful! Come over here and sit, and we can talk. I have about a million questions I want to ask you!"

Casper had already grown fond of Kippy, and immediately hastened across the room to jump up onto the couch beside him. His short legs barely reached the edge of the couch cushion as he turned to sit between Kippy and Charlie, and Charlie smiled at the little guy's nimbleness. Ragal took an empty chair, and draped himself over it in a fashion that made Charlie want to laugh. The lanky alien seemed able to bend in places that no human could match, despite the fact that he shared the same basic placement of joints that Charlie and the others had.

"That was really fast," Charlie said, smiling at Ragal. "You're a wizard with words, definitely."

Ragal looked embarrassed. "It's the specialty of my people, Charlie." He laughed. "Someone had to be good at languages. I guess it was us."

"No question there." Kippy's eyes twinkled a moment at Charlie, and then he looked down at Casper again. "I don't even know where to start."

"The beginning is usually a good place," Adrian said drily.

Casper laughed, a pleasant little sound that reminded Charlie of the sound a hamster he'd had as a boy had made. It caused everyone to smile all over again, and Kippy closed his eyes a moment and nodded to himself. "It's wonderful to hear you sounding so happy."

He opened his eyes as Casper spun his tapering head in a little circle. They had learned that this was his equivalent of a nod, the very short neck his species possessed unable to supply the up and down movement that humans enjoyed. "I am." Casper looked around at the others, his large gray eyes solemn. "I want to thank you all again for coming to get me."

Kippy pouted, and put an arm around Casper and gave him a gentle hug. "You don't need to thank us. We just did what we do."

Charlie smiled at that, and patted Casper's hand. "You're welcome, Casper. But it's really like Kip said. We came to help because that's what we thought we needed to do." He tilted his head at Ragal. "There's the man you should be thanking. He started the whole thing."

Ragal shook his head. "Don't you believe it, Casper. It was a group effort, and we were all happy that it worked out for you."

Casper's eyes circled around the room again. "Thank you, group."

Kippy briefly compressed his lips together, and then seemed momentarily at a loss. "I don't know what's safe to talk about. I don't want to upset you."

"I can talk about anything now," Casper told him. "I'm not scared anymore."

Ragal had determined that Casper had been near the end of his strength when they had reached him. Fear, lack of proper nourishment, and being all alone in his struggle had taken its toll. When Charlie's group had rushed him in the space between the storage tanks, Casper had thought the world was ending for him. The appearance almost immediately thereafter of his pursuers with the damper, and the accompanying end of his ability to defend himself, had been the final straw. Casper had simply retreated behind his own hands to wait for the end.

Being with Ragal and Kontus for two days seemed to have worked a little magic. Casper had taken well to all his rescuers, in fact. Their willingness to accept him as one of their own seemed to have overcome his fears and his innate shyness. But it was Ragal who was most responsible for Casper's transformation. The man definitely had something special inside of him, and an easy willingness to share it with others.

"Well, I know what I want to ask you," Ricky said, laughing. "I want to know where you came up with that monster you showed us between the storage tanks. That thing nearly had us pissing in our pants."

Casper looked amused by Ricky's choice of words. "I got that from you, actually."

Ricky looked stunned. "From me!"

The little alien nodded solemnly. "It was there in your mind. From --" He suddenly looked confused. "I don't know what it's called." He held out his hands before him as if he was holding something, and moved his thumbs rapidly.

Adrian laughed. "That looks like a video game controller."

Ricky shook his head. "You mean a video game? That monster came from a video game?"

Casper dropped his hands and gave his circular nod. "Mostly. I added things from all of you, that you thought was scary."

"You can read our minds?" Bobby asked, looking amazed.

"No. I see pictures of your thoughts, but I can't hear the words. What scares you is there in your mind, just as are the things you like. I guess I can feel what you feel about things. But only if I go look, and I don't like to do that to people." Casper smiled. "It's not nice."

"But you did it to the people from your planet that were chasing you," Kippy said. "To escape from them."

Casper's smile disappeared. "They were going to put me to sleep forever."

"Because you're different? That's really no reason."

"That's what they told you, that it was because I'm different and impure, but I know what really scares them. They are afraid that people like me will take control of the planet away from them one day. From the regular people, I mean. The non-power users." Casper smiled again. "Or that people like you will do it. They are afraid of anyone having power outside their control. They hide from the empires, because they fear that empire people will one day come and take control. And they kill people like me for the same reason. They feel like the new breed of power users on our world are breaking down the back door while the empires are threatening the front one."

Ricky gave out a slow whistle. "Are there many of you? With powers?"

Casper emitted a very charming little chuckle. "There are more and more all the time, but still we are few. It's difficult to really tell, because if someone learns they are a power user, they hide it from everyone so they will not be killed."

"That's gruesome," Adrian said, making a face. "You poor thing."

Casper flexed a small shoulder. "I was lucky. I had a power that could be used to help me get away. Others that have been discovered were not so lucky. Most never get off the planet. I was one of a very few that did."

"And they chased you," Kippy said. "How far? How long?"

"Very far. Very long." Casper's face compressed. "I lost track."

Kippy winced. "So I take it that your world is not that close to Erenar?"

The little alien looked surprised. "I didn't know the name of that world. I only made the ship go there because it had a yellow sun like at home." But then he gave out a tiny sigh. "My planet is not close to Erenar. I made the ship people think they were going home, but we were actually going in the opposite direction. Erenar is a long way from my planet."

Charlie digested that, and then frowned. "We don't really understand the kind of hate and fear that would make them hang around so long on Erenar, looking for you, when they could have just returned home and left you stranded."

"They couldn't take that chance," Casper said. "They were afraid that someone would pick me up at some point, and that I would tell them where our planet was located. They were too afraid of that to leave me."

Kippy made an angry sound. "That is so paranoid! What's with these people? Like anyone would want to visit a planet full of such idiots!"

Charlie smiled at that. "Um...remember how we felt when we thought the Arpies might set up a trade mission on Earth, and suck the place dry of everything?"

Kippy made a rude noise. "I'll take the Arpies anytime, over a bunch of killer scaredy-cats!"

Laughter circled the group, even though everyone knew that Kippy was dead serious about what he was saying.

Ricky snorted. "Your people can't hide forever, Casper. One of the galactic powers will find them, eventually. Then what'll they do?"

"I don't think they'll be found, at least not by accident," Casper countered. "They're very good at hiding."

Charlie frowned. "How so?"

"Oh, they have many ways of not being seen. They are very hard to find if they do not want to be found."

That was less than crystal clear, Charlie decided. "Was it you that kept us from seeing any life on the planet?"

"No. It was them. They have many machines that hide them."

"Their tech wasn't that great," Mike said. "I'm amazed they could hide from Moth scanners."

Casper circled his head again. "The science of my people is best at hiding. Things like space ships and weapons we are not as good as the empires at building. But no one is better at hiding than us."

Charlie and Kippy exchanged looks, both of them wondering at the psychology of an entire race that was so paranoid that their best minds were occupied with hiding them from the rest of the universe. That was nothing short of creepy. And it couldn't be a healthy way to live, either.

Bobby shook his head. "But at the last, they became visible. I mean, Murcha could see them and their ship."

"They thought they were going to have to move the ship to rescue their people. They have to turn off the protection or they can't see to fly." Casper laughed again, and Charlie smiled at the sound of it. Having the little alien around was going to be fun.

"The thing that keeps them from being seen works both ways?" Mike asked, looking incredulous. "That's daft!"

"It's the way it works," Casper countered. "And you saw for yourself that it did work well."

"They kept you hidden from us as well."

"Yes. Every time I got far enough away from them that my ability to make them do the wrong things to find me weakened, they would spot me on the scanners and move the ship close again. They had just done that before you arrived. So I was close enough to them that they could extend the protection to hide me from your scanners, too. They were afraid if you found me, it would lead you to them."

No one said anything for a moment. The kind of wasting fear that Casper described was beyond the ability of all the boys to easily imagine. It created images of small, ugly things that scuttled from one rock to another, hiding beneath, never wanting to see the light of day. There was something almost dirty about it..

"Everybody on your planet is like this?" Kippy asked.

"Most. The very worst always seem to wind up running everything. There're some people who think we would do well to contact the empire and join in the community that exists there. But they keep their opinions to themselves, lest the wrong people find out."

Charlie watched Casper a moment, marveling at all the little alien had overcome in his quest to be free. And Charlie had to wonder, too, just how Casper would someday be important to the fate of the universe. It was hard to imagine.

No one had brought that topic up again, feeling that Casper was under enough pressure just now. Ragal seemed to think it best that time take its course, and Charlie was in agreement with that idea. He felt they would somehow know when the time came.

He smiled then, and patted Casper's shoulder. "We're really happy to have you with us. And that you are safe and happy. I want you to know that you will always have a place here among us on Engris, and that you will always be welcome to join us in our travels."

Kippy brightened at that, and nodded. "We do have fun. I think you'd like it."

Casper smiled at that. "Thank you. You've all been so nice to me. And after I did what I did to you, too." He lowered his eyes. "I'm sorry I tried to scare you."

Kippy laid a hand on Casper's arm, and gently patted it "Don't worry about it. You did what you thought you needed to do to survive. We understand that, believe me."

Ragal, who had been watching and listening, sighed happily. "I would love to stay here on Engris with Casper. There must be something we can do here to earn our keep."

"We'll figure something out," Charlie said, nodding. "In the meantime, we have access to a little credit, so we'll find you two a permanent residence here, okay? And we'll make it big enough that you'll have plenty of room for lots of guests when they drop in to see you."

Casper beamed at Ragal, who also looked very happy.

"Do you have to go?" Casper said, returning his gaze to Kippy. "Can't you stay a little longer?"

Kippy pouted, and looked at Charlie for help.

Ricky and Adrian laughed, and Mike and Bobby looked at each other and nodded.

Charlie smiled. "I'm sure something can be arranged."

"Just so we don't miss Halloween," Kippy reminded.

Ragal leaned forward at that. "You've mentioned that several times, Kip. What exactly is this Halloween?"

Kippy grinned, and slid over, and made room next to himself. "Come on over here, and I'll tell you all about it."

Ragal's eyes widened slightly. "As good as all that?"

"Oh, yes," Kippy said, nodding. "As good as all that."

 

* * * * * * *

 

Charlie sat on the front stoop outside his house, Kippy snuggled close. Ricky and Adrian sat next to them, similarly engaged, and quite content. Above them, a starry night was just beginning to unfold, ready to chase the final streamers of the setting sun to points beyond the horizon. It was chilly out, but quite manageable for Halloween. Charlie and the other boys were made up as ghouls, with some of Ricky's expert facial make up adding considerably to the black clothing they all were wearing.

In the bushes to either side of the front door, small, colored LED lights painted the sidewalk and part of the lawn in pastel colors, while a speaker propped in Charlie's bedroom window overhead played an eerie musical loop. It was a great setting for Halloween, and already the night around them was starting to come alive. Costumed kids were appearing on the sidewalk, accompanied by adults with flashlights, and the beams played eerily along the streets. No one had come up Charlie's front walk just yet...but they would.

Kippy sighed. "I love Halloween."

"You love all holidays," Ricky said, leaning forward and laughing.

Kippy smiled, though the expression was somewhat daunting behind his ghoulish make up. "And your point?"

Adrian gave his boyfriend a gentle jab with his elbow. "Don't poke the bear."

Ricky sighed and sat back. "Nothing. I love them, too."

Kippy tilted his head back and looked down his nose at the other boy. "A wise answer." But that he was enjoying himself was obvious, and Ricky just tightened his arm around Adrian's shoulders and looked happy.

"I wish Mike and Bobby could have been here," Kippy said. "And all the others, actually." He laughed. "I'll bet Casper would love Irving's pizza!"

Seated in a lawn chair next to the boys, a tall figure also dressed in black turned his head and laughed. "A most astonishing creation!"

Charlie smiled at Ragal, thinking how astonishing he looked himself, sitting there, a huge bowl of candy on his lap. "I'm glad you decided to come back with us to see Halloween for yourself. Though I'm sure leaving Casper was hard for you."

"Not really. He likes Kontus, and Kontus was more than willing to stay close to him until I get back. Now that we can all talk together, Casper is learning about many good things. I'd like to think that Kontus will be a very good teacher until I return."

"He will," Charlie agreed. "Kontus is good people."

"And Pacha is there," Kippy reminded. "He'll keep everyone straight."

Charlie laughed. "They're all in no time, anyway, so it's not like it will be that long for them until we get back."

Adrian looked up at the star-speckled sky. "I hope Frit and Pip and Keerby are having fun at their school's first annual Elf Halloween Dance."

Ricky nodded at that. "They're the hosts, so I'm sure they'll have fun. Frit said he'd pop in tomorrow and let us know how it went."

"Shh," Charlie said then, pointing down the sidewalk. Two adults with flashlights and three small kids in costume had just turned into the walk. They slowed as they neared and saw the four ghouls sitting on the stoop, and then stopped outright when they spotted Ragal sitting in the chair.

"What's that?" one of the kids whispered, a little boy dressed in a store-bought Batman outfit.

"Come on up," Charlie called. "We don't bite."

"Go ahead, Josh," one of the adults said. "It's just a costume."

The batman figure looked uncertain, and turned to one of the other kids, a girl dressed as a witch. "You go first."

The man who had spoken before laughed. "You'd make your sister go first? That's not being a very good superhero."

"She's older," Josh insisted, peering at Ragal. "And she can run faster'n me."

The third kid, slightly bigger than the other two, groaned. "It's just a fake dummy or something, in a weird mask. Stop being a chicken and come on." He patted batman on the shoulder, turned and held up his bag, and marched forward, straight up to Charlie and the others. "Trick or treat!"

Charlie pointed at Ragal. "He has the candy. Ask him nicely, and I'm sure he'll give you something."

The kid made a derisive sound. "Yeah, right!"

Ragal sat forward then, and offered the bowl. "What kind of candy do you like?"

The brave boy yipped in shock and jumped backwards. "Yow! It's alive!"

The beam of one of the adult's flashlights came up and briefly played across Ragal's face. The man gasped. "Holy...what a great costume!" The light touched Charlie and the others, and then dropped to the pavement. "You all look great, but that guy in the chair takes the prize!"

"That's the best mask I've ever seen," the other adult said, a woman. "Where on earth did you get it?"

"I ordered it online," Ragal said smoothly, using the advice Charlie had given him for just such a question. "It was on sale, too."

Batman had gotten his nerve up. "Wow!" He stepped forward and held up his bag. "Trick or treat!"

Ragal smiled. "Do you like butterscotch, mint, or chocolate?"

"Chocolate, please."

Ragal nodded, and fished a few miniature candy bars out of the bowl and dropped them in the bag. "Next! Butterscotch, mint, or chocolate?"

The candy was handed out, and the party left, still talking about Ragal's wonderful 'mask'.

"You're a hit," Kippy said, smiling sweetly.

"It would appear so. Thank you so much for inviting me. I'm really --"

"--having a good time!" All four boys finished, laughing.

Ragal smiled and sat back, watching the costumed trick or treaters move up and down the street. "What a wonderful custom."

Kippy sighed, and carefully kissed Charlie's made up cheek. "I sure love being with you, Charlie Boone."

Charlie nodded, and carefully returned the kiss. "Me, too. Happy Halloween, Kip."

"Happy Halloween, Charlie. I'm so glad we could help Casper. I just can't imagine a people that would kill their own children just for being different."

"Fear is a beast, Kip. It can destroy even the fondest of hearts." Charlie tilted his head back and looked at the starry sky. "And there's a lot to fear out there, too." He smiled then. "But we won't let that stop us."

Kippy patted Charlie's arm. "You've come to terms with your own demons, I see."

"Yes." Charlie patted Kip's arm. "I have."

"I'm so glad. I was worried about you."

Charlie turned his head, and smiled at his boyfriend. "I know. I know you were. And I love you for it, Kip."

"Oh, Charlie. I love you, too."

Charlie laid his head against his boyfriend's, and closed his eyes a moment, and just reveled in how lucky he was to have such love, and such friends. And then the rustle of candy bags came to them, and a peal of laughter, and Charlie opened his eyes to watch as more trick or treaters came up the walk. Once again the kids oohed and ahhed over Ragal's 'costume', while the adults shook their heads in wonder. "What will they think of next?" asked one astonished mother.

Charlie smiled at that. If only she knew.

Kippy sensed Charlie's reaction, and turned to him. "What are you smiling about?"

"Oh...nothing. Everything. The mysteries of the universe. I don't know." He laughed. "Places to go, things to do."

Kippy sighed, and snuggled closer. "As long as I go with you, that's all that matters."

Charlie nodded. "It's a deal."

And then he settled back, tilted his face skyward once again, and took in the stars.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2019 Geron Kees; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Lucky them. They get to sit in no-time or play around with time-frames while we have to wait for actual time to pass!
;–)

Link to comment

Earlier, I said the gang got a new member, but I was wrong. The gang got two new members! It’ll be nice that they’ll soon have a home base on Engris to always go back to.
;–)

Link to comment
11 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Lucky them. They get to sit in no-time or play around with time-frames while we have to wait for actual time to pass!
;–)

How do you know you're not playing with your own time frame right now?

How do you know you're not playing with your own time frame right now?

How do you know...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
11 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Earlier, I said the gang got a new member, but I was wrong. The gang got two new members! It’ll be nice that they’ll soon have a home base on Engris to always go back to.
;–)

Yeah, it was time for the gang to have their own place. Too many to be hanging out in Charlie's or Kip's bedroom! :)

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter to end what has been another fantastic adventure for Charlie, Kippy and there many friends.

Thanks for going along for the ride! :)

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Ivor Slipper said:

Great stuff! Really enjoyable read.

@quttzik said this was his favourite story. How do you decide when they're all so brilliant?

Thanks, Ivor. I tend to use the word 'brilliant' for things like sunlight. I'm satisfied with 'readable' for this stuff! :)

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Fae Briona said:

That really sums it up.

Was a beautiful ending to a great story - and glad that Ragal could enjoy the holiday in his "costume"  😁

Thank you for saying so. And for coming along. As you can see, Charlie and Kip always like company in their travels! :)

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Geron Kees said:

How do you know you're not playing with your own time frame right now?

How do you know you're not playing with your own time frame right now?

How do you know...

Never heard it called a time frame before :) Perhaps there was a malfunction in the Universal Translator?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Ivor Slipper said:

Never heard it called a time frame before :) Perhaps there was a malfunction in the Universal Translator?

Actually, 'frame of reference' is a concept of dealing with time from the point of view of the observer. In relativity, there is no 'preferred' frame of reference, it being different for each observer and relative to his location, and affected by the physics of the space around him. I have played a bit fast and lose with relativity and time in this series, because REAL science is too restrictive. I'd prefer to think that there is still a lot we don't know yet. The nice thing about laws is that someone is always changing them!

Guess that's why they call this stuff sci-fi! :)

 

 

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

 

I have to smile at the fact that the monster in the closet turned out to be a pussycat compared to some other aliens out there.  😺
I think Casper has to be one of your most endearing creations, my friend.  Bad enough when we thought he was an adult, but to find he was only a kid...you captured the spirit of his situation masterfully in the simple gesture of him trying to shut out everything by hiding his eyes.  He couldn't be among better friends than Charlie and Crew.
I almost laughed when Keerby was introduced as the elf who kept time tidy...why, you ask?  My vacuum cleaner is a 1958 Kirby Model 518 with tons of attachments to turn it into a hand-held portable and even a paint sprayer!  Works great for being as old as I am, and hasn't broken down at all, unlike me....
I'm thinking we'll be visiting Casper's people soon?

:hug:     

Monsters are only monsters to some. 

Casper will be around for a bit. He has a role to play in a future tale. Ragal, too. Both will need their characters developed some before their eventual 'big show' (was that Ed Sullivan that liked to say that?). So expect to see them again soon.

A vacuum cleaner paint sprayer! What will they think of next! :)

That's one thing I love about old tech. They had some cool ideas, and weren't afraid to try them out. You're lucky to find a vacuum these days that actually picks up dirt, let alone can spray paint. Of course... I can't really see using something to clean my carpet that I've been spraying paint with. Maybe that's why they don't sell them anymore?

No word on visiting Casper's people. Only the future will tell.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Geron Kees said:

You're lucky to find a vacuum these days that actually picks up dirt, let alone can spray paint.

Do you have a graffiti problem in your area for them to make spray paint cans difficult to find?
;–)

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..