Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 2,806 Words
  • 1,258 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

To Sammy With Love - 11. Chapter 11

At first there were only vague unfamiliar sounds which gradually increased in intensity. Then the brain started sending impulses through the optic nerve, for the eyes to open. The eyes resisted because of the amount of light bombarding the retina. Gradually both auditory and optic senses stabilized - and Sammy opened his eyes, to unfamiliar surroundings.

A brief look around the room told him he was in a hospital. But where? How did he get into a hospital? What had happened? He struggled to remember. At that moment, a nurse came into his room.

Hello there,” she said. “Glad to see you’ve rejoined us. No - Don’t try to get up. You’ve been in a coma after sustaining some serious injuries.”

Sammy nodded OK and fell back against his pillows. “How long have I been here? What is today?”

Well, best if the doctor talks to you about your injuries, but I can tell you, we’ve had you sedated for six days from when you were admitted last Sunday.”

So today is what - Saturday? I’ve been out to it for nearly a week. Have I been any trouble?”

No - Not at all,” laughed the nurse. “But you’ve had some very regular visitors who have been concerned - as well they should. You were a very sick boy when you came in. Now, how do you feel? You’ve had a fractured rib and a severe concussion, as well as other problems. Are you in any pain? If you are, I can get you some painkillers.”

Can you tell me who’s been in to see me? You see, I’ve just come over from Perth and don’t have a lot of friends in Melbourne.”

Well, you’ve had three regular visitors. A gorgeous young man who says he’s your lover. He’s usually accompanied by a very vivacious lady - and, of course, your mother.”

My mother, she's here, in Melbourne. How - ?”

Look sweetheart, I can’t answer all your questions now. I’m on my rounds. We’ll be contacting your mother now that you’ve regained consciousness. Don’t rush things. After what you’ve been through, you need all the rest you can get. But the good news is they have arrested your assailant.”

My mother - came all the way from Perth to see me. And I know she hates flying. But no Father? I suppose they both couldn’t come over. But still -

Now I remember being attacked. So sudden. And the pain. All I can remember is the start - three guys getting out of a car and rushing towards me. That first punch - and then the pain. And now – Here.

Peter and Billee. They must be the other two people. And Peter says he’s my lover. Out loud. Wow. And Billee. I really do love that lady. Who the hell attacked me then - and why? Why? I haven’t made any enemies whilst I’ve been in Melbourne. Well, I suppose I’ll get all the answers soon. Geeze, this is a nice room. Usually I hate hospitals - noisy and smelly. But this is friendly. Nice blue walls and cheerful paintings. And flowers - someone sent ME flowers. Boy, am I sleepy.

Elaine was angry. In fact, Elaine was very angry. Not one to display her emotions, she always managed to maintain a calm composure. But this was different - very different. When she was told who had assaulted Samuel, she was dismayed.

A cousin violently assaulting another cousin is unbelievable. But what was more vexing was the attitude of my sister and that awful man she married. They were upset because their son was facing a long jail term.

There was no concern for my son who had almost lost his life to that moron. I have never been real close to my sister and when she married that awful man, I was glad they moved to the other side of the country. My niece Maria took after her mother and the son- dare I say his name - was really “a chip off the old block”. He was rotten.

Karl is the only decent one in that whole brood. How he puts up with his in- laws is a wonder.

She had tiptoed into Samuels’s room so as not to wake him. Seeing him lying there, attached to those machines and covered in bandages had shocked her. Her son - that beautiful young boy, bashed by that cowardly creature. I hope “what’s-his-name” gets life.

As she was looking at Sammy, his eyes fluttered open. When he recognized her he tried to get up.

Oh Mum. Mum - I’m glad you’re here, you shouldn’t have come; you hate flying, but thanks anyway. It’s real good to see you. Guess I don’t look such a good sight, Eh.”

Dont stress yourself Sammy. The doctor said you need plenty of rest. That’s why I’m here. To look after you.”

Well, the nurse said I’m getting better. I’ve only been conscious for a little while. Apparently, I was out for almost six days. It’s strange; I still don’t remember a lot - just a lot of pain.”

You will and maybe it’s best you don’t recall the attack. According to the police it was sudden and vicious.”

Yeah - I wasn’t doing anything bad mum. Me and my friend Billee - I hope you meet her, she’s real nice - were walking back from the corner pub. Just when we got to our front door. Whammo.”

Yes, I know all the details Samuel. Do you know that they’ve caught the assailant?”

What already. Geeze, that’s fast work. I’d really like to see the bastard. Anyone who can attack someone they don’t know, a perfect stranger, is a mongrel in my book. What’s the slimes name?”

Sammy - It’s your cousin, Nathaniel.”

Sammy just stared at his mother. For a long while there was silence while he digested this news.

Nat! Nat - youse got to be joking. Why? Why? I haven’t done anything to him - Ahh, Jim’s party. Wow, I didn’t think Nat would seek revenge.”

And then Sammy told his mother all about Nat's outburst at Jims BBQ - and Karl’s response.

Samuel - why didn’t you tell me about this before? That’s my sister and her son you’re talking about. The ones I asked to take care of you. Disgraceful.”

Oh, I had intended. I thought it would all blow over. There again, I didn’t know Nat too well.”

Well, I’m certainly going to have words with Gwen about it. I’ve come to realize that Karl is the only good person in the whole lot. I’m going to thank him for being the only one to support you. Wait till your father hears about this.”

And where is my father. Has he totally abandoned me? Looks like I don’t have a father anymore.”

Samuel, you’ve got to try and understand your Dad. It’s been very hard on . . .”

Hard. On Him. This isn’t about HIM. It’s about ME - his son. So I’m Gay. So What. Would it be better if I was a nice little heterosexual child molester, or Hetro rapist or even a hetro serial killer? Look at me . . .”

Oh dear” mumbled Elaine. “There I go saying the wrong thing.”

“ . . . Look at me. I’ve been pummeled within an inch of my life - only because I’m Gay. But my father finds it hard to accept me -. Well, FUCK HIM, FUCK HIM, and FUCK HIM.”

Oh - please Samuel, don’t use that kind of language. I know he still loves you.”

FUCK HIM.”

Elaine was denied any further dialogue with Sammy by the arrival of Billee and Peter. Their entrance made for a lighter atmosphere in the room. Peter spoke first -

Aha. It’s awake. Thank you lord for the miracle. How’re you feeling Sammy? "And Billee -

My God, you look handsomer than ever. Being bashed up must agree with you. More importantly, is your sex life still Ok?”

Hey you two, I must be blessed, first my mother and now my two best friends. What have I done to deserve this?”

From Peter, “All joking aside we’ve been very worried about you. Latest from the doctor is that you’re well and truly on the mend. Bet you’d like to hear all the happenings while you were asleep?” When Sammy nodded affirmatively, both Peter and Billee brought Sammy up to date with events. Elaine said very little, letting his two friends tell the story.

Wow, a lot’s been happening. How is Brenda? I bet she took the news very badly.”

She did that”, admitted Peter “I thought I had all the bases covered but her reaction still surprised me - and upset me. Still, it’s for her good in the long run. But, I’ll never get over hurting her.”

Oh, of course you will,” chided Billee. “Both of you are starting new lives. Time eventually will heal the wounds. Don’t you think so, Elaine?” “Yes Peter. It sounds like you and your wife are mature adults. I believe Billee is right. I am an optimist and believe that everything happens for the best. Although, at the time, it can be very difficult to comprehend. Now Sammy, I’ve rented a nice house in a place called Seaford. It’s for six months with a monthly tenancy to follow. I’m not going home till I’m sure you’re better.”

But what about you Billee", Sammy asked. “Doesn’t that leave you without someone to share the rent? I mean, I gonna miss your place- and your company. Oh, sorry Mum, I didn’t mean to hurt you. Then Billee responded with -.

Aha, don’t worry Boychick, Peter has agreed to stay with me for as long as he likes, or until you both decide on your own futures. That’s good news - isn’t it?”

Seems Ok with me.", Sammy agreed softly. “Pete, do you think it would help for me to have a talk with Brenda, maybe -”

No definitely not", Said Peter firmly. “Best you stay completely out of it. This is entirely between Brenda and me. You’re just an innocent bystander.”

Changing the subject Billee asked - “What are you going to do about that creature who assaulted you? Him and his mongrels. You’ll have to testify against your cousin. You Ok with that?”

Breaking into the conversation, Elaine said -

Now that’s something I’m going to handle. I think I told you, they’re only concerned that Nathaniel is going to get a long jail sentence. I’m ashamed of my own sister. And Maria - she sounds like she doesn’t want to take sides. Can you imagine that? Karl’s too good for that girl” “You know”, Peter became very thoughtful “The one person who’s been very quiet is Karl. I thought he’d be disgusted to hear that I was Gay, but he took the news very calmly. I got the feeling, unrealistically, that he was supportive. He plays very close to his chest. You never know what Karl is thinking. But he hasn’t called me, nor come in to see Sammy. Probably just gets updates over the phone from hospital staff. But we’ve been close friends for years now. I would like to speak to him.”

Then why don’t you - call him I mean?” Billee asked.

Nah, better if he makes the first move; that’s the way I’m going to have to play it with all my old friends.”

To nobody in particular Elaine said, “Maria should be very careful, Karl is a very good-looking boy. I’m sure a lot of girls would like to snare him.”

And at that point, a nurse walked in and said, “I’ll have to ask you all to leave now. It’s time for this young man’s dressings to be changed.”

Sammy was lying quietly reflecting on his future when he heard a “Pssst.” and saw Karl’s head peek into the room. Sammy couldn’t help but laugh as the rest of Karl emerged - still in his scruffy work clothes. “Ssshhh”, Karl admonished by holding a finger against his lips. “Don’t say a word - they think I’m a tradie dressed like this. I’ll get kicked out if they think I’m a visitor.”

Well, you do look like you could do with a visit to the sterilizer room. Or is dirty singlet and crumpled shorts the new fashion?”

At that Karl favored Sammy with a smile that seemed to bring more sunshine into the room.

Well, how’s things Sammy? You look a whole lot better than when I saw you that Sunday night. Hey - you really scared me. You were in Intensive Care, you know, for two whole days.”

Nah, I’m doing fine. I’m enjoying being pampered. Latest tests show I’m well and truly on the mend.”

There was an awkward silence, as both boys considered how to direct the conversation. At last Sammy said -

Karl - I feel bad about lying to you. You know about Peter and me. I didn’t know what to say.”

Well, said Karl looking a bit serious. “It was a shock alright. I guess I knew something was afoot. Both your stories on the mobile message didn’t ring true. But, I figured it was your business. Didn’t figure out that you and he were having a roll in the hay.”

Nicely put. I hate lying. That’s why I’d rather people know the truth about me rather than pretend I’m something I’m not.”

Well, I reckon Peters paying the price for that right now. You know, I probably should call Pete, you just can’t imagine the crap that’s going on down the Grand. Shit, those characters are something. I don’t enjoy drinking there anymore. And the worst is Rick. Claims he knew Peter was Gay from the get-go. Can you believe it?”

This was news to Sammy. “Rick - you’ve got to be kidding. Bet he’s sniffing round Brenda, Eh.”

In an inquiring voice Karl asked, “Tell me, if it’s not too personal, how long you have known Peter. How long have you been bumping each other?”

Sammy laughed, “You certainly have a way with words. No, I’d only met Peter a few weeks before you introduced me down the pub. It was a bit of a shock for both of us. I reckon, if I hadn’t met him that Saturday, I wouldn’t ever have seen him again. So, we really don’t have any long term relationship at all.”

Um, not according to Pete. He was distraught that night at the hospital. He went from here, straight home and told Brenda. I’m sort of glad I wasn’t a fly on that wall. Naturally, she took it hard. Brenda can be very vicious when somebody crosses her.”

Hey Karl, I don’t want this scene. I don’t want to be classed as the cunt that broke up a marriage. Its Pete’s problem. Shit, according to Pete, he’s been sexually active for years now. I refuse to take any blame. I’ll spit on anybody who tries to make me guilty.”

While Karl digested this, Sammy continued, “What’s happening with you and Maria?”

At the mention of Maria, Karl became agitated. He sat slumped in the chair.

Yeah - What is happening, you may well ask. I’m just about getting fed up. It’s not Maria so much as her family. Your Relatives. By now, you know about Nat. Your own cousin bashing you within an inch of your life. What a bastard. Just because you’re Gay for Christ’s sake. The family’s only worry is about poor Nat in prison. Not one bit of concern for you. I talked to your Mum - She’s rightly furious.”

And Karl continued getting more emotional. “They treat me like I’m some freak, just because I’m barren. Nichts sperm. All they care about is Maria. How she’s throwing her life away being with me. They make me feel like I’ve got a nasty disease. Maria has taken to looking at me in a disapproving manner. She makes me feel small. You probably feel the same way, you know people looking down on you. It’s giving me the shits. And I’ve got nobody to talk to about it. Sometimes I think I’m gonna burst.”

Well, if it’s any help I’m with you totally. You went to bat for me when that fuckwit Nat used his foul-mouth. Now it’s my turn to help you. And that’s not just to return a favor - I think what that family’s doing to you stinks. I know how it feels to have people sledging you.” “Oh, by the way,” Sammy continued. “My mum says to thank you for helping her move to the new house - she appreciates you taking the time to help.”

Copyright @2011 Graham Sealby<br />All rights reserved
  • Like 14
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Still loving ur story so far. I knew it had to be Nat that attacked Sammy! So happy he's gonna be ok. I hope Nat's family gets raked over the coals for the disgusting people they are, Maria included. Karl definitely deserves better than her, and from the sound of it won't have a problem finding someone else. Surprised Sammy's mother came to take care of him. Can't wait to see how Sammy and Peter's relationship develops now that everything is out.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..