Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 3,348 Words
  • 1,475 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

To Sammy With Love - 13. Chapter 13

Deliciously relaxed and half-asleep, Sammy lay on a couch in the family room. He was vaguely aware of his mother preparing the evening meal. The new house was huge compared to other homes he had lived in. Four bedrooms no less. But he missed Billee’s friendly relaxed furnishings. Even so, it was good for his mother and him. Just for a short while. He was in a reflective mood.

Uummm. Mums making a lamb shank casserole - things are almost back to normal. If only my father was here. Sadly, I don’t think we’ll ever bridge the gap. But I’ve made some good friends over here. Billee in particular. She’s one in a million. A friend I will cherish forever. But I wonder how Luke is going. With all that has been happening to me, poor little Luke’s been overlooked. I must ask Billee next time we talk.

And there’s Karl. Being so good looking has not shielded him from misery. Maria’s an idiot. If she doesn’t watch out, some other female will get her claws into Karl. I feel he’s reaching a breaking point. Maybe I should warn Maria. No. If she's so stupid and ruled by her family, nobody can help her. What about Peter. I really like Pete and sex with him is great. But how deep, I wonder, do our feelings for each other go. I don’t know. Perhaps, we should -

At this point his mobile ringing interrupted his musings. He answered with -

“Sammy here.”

A female voice answered with - “Umm, this is Brenda, Peter’s wife. We met at Karl’s birthday party - do you remember?”

“Yes - Of course.” All of a sudden, Sammy was wide-awake and wary. “Look Brenda, I’m really sorry -”

Brenda interrupted him with -

“I’m not interested in your pathetic apologies. All I want is my husband back. Not only for me but also for his children. Here - somebody wants to talk with you.”

There was a moment’s delay and then a small voice came on the phone with -

“I’m Narrelle. Could you please send my daddy back to us, we miss him very much. Please mister, we love him and don’t want him to go away.”

Sammy felt hot tears rising in his throat and before he could even think of something to say, Brenda was back on the phone with -

“You see - you’re not only breaking up a marriage but you’re also breaking up a family. Can’t you find someone else to go practice your vile habits with? I know there are many degenerates like you out living your sordid lives. Why can’t you pick on one of them and leave my Peter alone.”

Warming to near hysteria, she almost shouted -

“Not only are you content with ruining our family, but you’ve also sent a good man to jail for a long time. Now your cousin’s marriage is under strain because of the injustice metered out over a little fight. What a big sissy you are - You can’t even fight like a man.”

“You’re so wrong Brenda,” Sammy was starting to shake with anger. “I feel really sorry for you - Or I did. What you’re saying is just bullshit. Why don’t you talk with Peter and . . . ?”

Again she interrupted, her voice raising several octaves -

“What’s the point of talking with Peter - he’s been seduced. You’ve got some ungodly power over him. He can’t help himself. That’s why I’m making this call, in the hope that you’ll let Peter go. So we can go back to our life before he met you. You’re EVIL. Really EVIL. Get away from us - go and perform your disgusting practices elsewhere

Now Sammy really let fly -

“You poor pathetic creature. Using your own children to fight your cause is - is - just disgusting. Don’t ever call me again, or I’ll have you charged with harassment.”

And hung up. Elaine had overheard the last part of the conversation and came quickly over to Sammy, who was extremely distressed. Elaine put her arms around him until he settled down, and he then told her the full extent of the conversation.

But Sammy was in a state of shock - he could still hear the voice of little Narrelle wanting her Daddy back. To use a childlike that was unforgivable. And Elaine thought so to -

“That woman needs a real good spanking. I’ve a mind to report her to the police. Using a child to fight her battle is despicable. Now you’ve got to settle down and put it behind you. I take it you’re going to tell Peter?”

“This is bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit. I don’t want any part of this. It’s just what I was afraid of - getting drawn into Peters bloody domestic problems. Mum, that little girl. Christ how low can that woman go. You bet I’m gonna tell Peter. I know it’s not his fault but it’s his responsibility. I don’t want any part of it.”

It was against his better judgment that Karl strolled into the Grand hotel after work. All he really wanted was a quiet beer and to think about his problems, in peace. All the old gang were there huddled in a group and monopolizing the bar area, as they usually did. It was obvious that Rick was holding sway and by a couple of nervous glances, Karl knew he was the subject.

“She’s got a cousin who’s a dirty little homo and a husband who shoots blanks. If you pardon the pun - Ha, Ha. “There are no germs in this Ger --”

Before he could continue, Karl said softly - “Oh - Rick -”

And as Rick turned to face him - Nobody can remember seeing something happen so fast -

Karl punched Rick squarely in the guts. You could hear the ‘oooff’ as air was expelled - and while Rick was doubled over in pain and shock, Karl slammed an evil uppercut into Ricks chin. The sheer force sent Rick crashing onto his back. Chairs and tables were overturned as Rick fell on them. There was a complete shocked silence in the whole bar, as people tried to overcome their total disbelief.

Karl stood nursing his damaged hand. Looking down on Rick, who was obviously very dazed and in pain from both punches, Karl simply said,

“Arsehole - Yeah, and that goes for the rest of you.” And walked out of the bar.

Getting into his car Karl muttered -

Christ that felt good. Oh shit that felt real good. Even though I’ve damaged my hand, it still felt good. Now I’m gonna take charge of my life and bugga everyone else - including Maria and her whole bloody family.”

When Elaine answered the door, Peter new that something had happened. Her greeting was a bit subdued. She discreetly disappeared when Peter sat down beside Sammy, after giving him a gentle kiss.

“Well, how’s our patient today. You look troubled. I can always tell, because those beautiful brown eyes get a bit cloudy. Is everything Ok?”

“No Pete - it’s not.” And then related the conversation with Brenda, leaving nothing out. Peter was shaken to the core. A sour feeling of dread replaced his breezy mood.

“Oh my God,” he whispered. “She used little Narrelle to emotionally blackmail you? Oh Sammy I’m real, real sorry. You shouldn’t have to be involved like this. She’s a very bitter woman. Distraught. And now she’s turning on you. I don’t know what to say, except again - I’m real, real sorry.”

Sammy could see that Peter was very upset. In fact, he looked dazed. Sammy was a little concerned about his emotional state. Even a strong male like Peter has a breaking point.

“Pete, my love - I don’t know what to do. One thing’s for sure, I can’t become personally involved in your marriage problems. I just can’t. I won’t. You’ll have to make that quite clear to Brenda. It’s obvious now; she’s going to use our relationship to ease her own misery.”

“You know, I went over all the possible bad things that could happen, but I never once thought that she would drag you and the kids into it. How am I going to get through to her? She can get stubborn when she gets vicious.”

“Well, try and look at it from her viewpoint. She had a happy stable marriage until you met me. I mean, it was me that upset the apple cart. It could have been anybody. Somehow, you’ve got to get that through to her - and I don’t know how you’re going to do it.”

“Hey, I know how I’m going to do it. I’ll just bloody tell her. That’s what I’ll do. If she wants to get nasty, that’s Ok by me. But I will never, ever bring either you or my kids into it. You’re innocents - It’s just between Brenda and me. It’s about time I start acting like the arsehole everyone says I am.”

But to himself Peter was thinking

Shit what a mess. If I don’t remove Sammy from my problems with Brenda, I could lose him. But how can I do that without destroying our relationship? Perhaps we should not see each other for a while. I’ll have a word with Billee - see what she thinks.

Billee became very thoughtful when Peter talked to her later that evening. She knew about Brenda’s phone call - Elaine had given her all the details earlier on.

“You know,” she responded to Peters question whilst they were sitting in their favorite booth at the pub. “My first reaction was to ring your wife and give her a tongue lashing. But on calmer reflection, she probably has every right to connect Sammy with her marriage bust-up. After all, that’s exactly what happened, isn’t it? Oh I know it would have been anybody in due course, but it just happened to be Sammy. Of course what she did using your daughter was unforgiveable. It tells of a very confused and desperate woman.”

“That’s putting it mildly,” Peter interrupted, “and that’s what I want to avoid - Her blaming Sammy and then using my kids as some kind of emotional fodder. I have to solve both problems without putting more heat into the whole situation.”

“Yeah - spot on.” Billee agreed. “It’s tough, but unless you take Sammy and the kids out of the equation, it's gonna turn nasty. I thought you said it was going well - something must’ve happened to set her off like this.”

“Yeah - I get that feeling too. I wonder if Rick’s been bending her ear. Brenda can be easily influenced - particularly if she’s in an emotional state.”

“Well, you asked for my opinion. You’re not going to like this Pete, but I feel you should not see Sammy while the separation is proceeding. Now I know that’s tough, but it will take the steam out of the circumstances. I don’t think Sammy is very comfortable being roped into your domestic problems.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” Peter sighed regretfully. “It does make sense. And with Sammy out of the way, perhaps she’ll stop using the kids.”

“Look at it this way,” Billee continued. “If Sammy was a woman, Brenda would feel a sense of betrayal - but with the other woman being a ‘man’ it’s just fuelling her hostility. No - You have to talk to Sammy and get some separation for the time being. I’m positive Sammy will recognize that as a wise move.”

Peter felt a sense of relief. “Thanks mate, you’ve been really helpful. With Sammy neutralized as an issue I’m sure she won’t involve the kids again. Hopefully.”

Of course Maria heard about Karl slogging Rick. It went through the locals like a dose of salts. It seems the only person who was upset was Brenda, who aggressively sympathized by referring to “Poor Rickie”. When Maria questioned Karl about it he simply shrugged, but offered no explanation. Since then, he had been in a strange insular mood.

They were seeing the marriage counselor again - at Maria’s insistence. Every time he was ushered in, Karl was annoyed at the room’s decor. It was so bloody obvious -

Somebody should tell the witch that the decor, soft blue walls covered with bright pastel prints, was overdone. It was obvious that the intent was to put people at ease and forestall any feelings of aggression. Better to be honest and paint it grey with torture instruments dangling from the walls. And isn’t it strange that Maria always sat in the left chair, forcing Karl into the other one which, for some reason, was closer to the head torturer.

As usual the counselor began by asking how things were going and had there been any change from the last visit. Maria immediately started with -

“Well, my brother has just been sentenced to a lengthy jail term for the assault on my cousin Sammy. The family’s very upset. Granted he’s been troublesome at times but we don’t believe the long sentence - it was 15 years - was justified.”

“Not justified - Not justified”, snapped Karl. “I can’t believe you and your family still think it was unjustified. The attack was so vicious that he was charged with Attempted Murder. It was a premeditated, cowardly attack. Three of them assaulting Sammy - your own cousin. Not justified - he spent three days in intensive care. In short, he’s lucky to be alive and your vicious brother is lucky he didn’t get life. I wish he had.”

“And, I might add,” Karl continued before Maria could interject. “You and your family still believe that I had something to do with ‘dobbing’ him into the police. I wish I had.”

“How so?” asked the counselor, turning to Maria. “How could Karl be held responsible for your brother’s incarceration?”

“Yes Maria,” Karl said with exasperation. “Why don’t you tell us both why you think I’m responsible.”

“Well, the police said they were able to close the case quickly because someone had anonymously turned Nat in. The only person who had any motive was Karl. So that’s why we thought it was Karl.”

“That seems like a very big jump to a conclusion. I take it your brother has been in trouble before?”

Maria, looking distinctly uncomfortable answered. “Um - He did have a record with the police. Yes.”

Karl, obviously disgusted, turned to the counselor and said, in an angry voice,

“All I hear is how Marias family commiserates about each other. Poor Maria married to a man who can’t give her children and poor Nat, in jail, for nearly killing their own relative. Not once, not at any time, do you hear any concern for my feelings or for Sammy’s wellbeing. Not once, to you hear the word sorry. The whole family sickens me. I’m not going to put up with it anymore.”

Sensing trouble, the counselor said quickly, “Ok, I’m sure things aren’t that bad Karl. Yes - I believe you’ve a right to feel angry. That’s what we’re here for, to vent our negative emotions.”

But Maria had picked up on Karl’s last statement and demanded - “What do you mean; you’re not going to put up with it anymore?” In an affirmative voice Karl answered Maria -

“The prospect of spending the rest of my life being sneered at by you and your whole family, to me, is intolerable. You see Maria; the issue should only be between you and me. But it’s not - is it? Your family rules you and they take every snide opportunity to let me know what a shit I am. Your mother - calling her a bitch is an insult to all female dogs - took great pleasure in telling me about your “breakdown”, your mother’s words, in the shop recently. She wasn’t concerned that she hurt me, just - poor Maria.”

With passion, fuelling his anger Karl raised his voice -

“And I’m bloody FURIOUS that they point the finger at me over your brother. But what makes me really PISSED OFF is you. Not once have you stood up for ME. I'M YOUR HUSBAND FOR CHRIST'S SAKE. Until proven otherwise, I’m entitled to your support. But I know now, I’ll never get it. Your weak, Maria. Your family rules you. But they’re NOT going to rule me. I want us to separate - for six months. Give us time to think about the issues, and the rest of our lives.”

His anger somewhat mollified Karl sat back in the chair whilst a stunned Maria simply looked at him in disbelief. It took a little while to register with Maria, that Karl was leaving her. She started to cry.

“Oh please Karl, don’t do this. I’ll stand up to my parents - I promise I will. You’re overreacting. Please Karl - we can work through this together - not apart. I know my mother can be a handful but - I’ll tell her to butt out.”

In an assertive but kindly tone, Karl said -

Maria, it’s only for six months. We both need time to ourselves to think about our problems dispassionately. I’m still coming to terms with my medical situation. It’s been a big blow - I’m feeling bad. But I can’t come to terms with you and your family sneering at me - behind my back. No, I believe a separation is all for the best.”

Interesting, thought the counselor. He hasn’t asked for any reaction to his decision. He’s made his mind up. All in all, I agree with him. It’s probably the best outcome, at this time. There are deep issues between these two that can only be resolved by each person - In isolation.

But, of course those thoughts could not be expressed aloud. “Well,” she offered. “If Karl has made his mind up I can’t undo his decision. It’s up to you Karl, with Maria, to work out the details. I’m always here if you need to get counseling. Perhaps we can get back together in six months' time.”

There was a strained silence in the car as they drove back home. Maria turned a tear-stained face towards Karl and stared at him before eventually saying -

“You’ve made up your mind. How come you didn’t mention this to me before? You made me feel stupid in the counselor’s room. You should have warned me that you were going to humiliate me. My mother’s going to be upset.”

“Bullshit. Your mothers going to be elated. It’s what she’s been working towards ever since I got the news about my sperm count. But there you go again. You’re more concerned about yourself and your mother. Whereas you should be concerned for US - and NOBODY else.”

Becoming resigned, Maria asked in a somewhat wheedling tone - “When is this going to happen? Where will you go? Are you going to move completely out?”

“Questions, questions, questions. I think it’s interesting that you just assumed I’m the one moving out. Why not you? But before you go get all soggy on me, I’ll probably spend time at Elaine’s until I can get my own digs. I’m sure Sammy would like some company from at least one of his relatives. I think Billee and Peter care more about Sammy than all of his Melbourne ‘Rellies’.”

Thinking she had gained a moral advantage, Maria challenged - “So you’ve had this all planned out even down to where you’ll be staying. You’ve been thinking about this for some time now. And you just raised it this morning. Bullshit.”

“No Maria,” Karl sighed. “I haven’t even asked Elaine if I can stay with her. And I only became resolved this morning with the counselor lady. Don’t go getting frothy with me. Let’s be adults. And just keep in mind - This wouldn’t have come about but for your family.”

Copyright @2011 Graham Sealby<br />All rights reserved
  • Like 16
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

LOVED the chapter! I'm so happy Karl decided on a separation. I have no doubt divorce will be the outcome. He deserves way better than Maria and her asshole family! I'm also hapoy that he hit Rick! He's disgusting too, and definitely deserved it. What can I say about Brenda, except she's as disgusting as the rest! Can't wait to read more!!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..