Jump to content
    Hylas
  • Author
  • 3,260 Words
  • 2,568 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Long List of Nevers - 15. Chapter 15

“What’s with Keith?” Lee asked as he bent down and offered Caz some sliced mangoes. She was sitting on the grass on the lawn, pastels scattered around her. A large triton shell was perched on a slab of rock in front of her. She had been hard at work drawing it for most of the morning.

“Oh. He’s just marrying Carl.” Kat picked the most orange slice and stuck a spoon into it, murmuring her thanks.

Lee raised an eyebrow. “And you know this because…”

“Because I’m not stupid.” Caz grinned up at her dad.

Lee laughed as he knelt down and set the plate on the grass. He peeked over her shoulder to see her work.

Caz’s depiction still had a certain awkwardness to it. Probably because her little fingers still had problems making sweeping strokes. Her perspective was a bit off, again might be because she wasn’t exactly viewing things from the vantage point of an adult. But the depth and the colors were already pretty much spot on.

“That’s beautiful, Caz.” Lee’s chest swelled with pride. And to think she was only seven!

“Thanks.” Caz looked down shyly.

Lee ruffled her hair and chuckled as he took the rest of the mangoes and headed for Keith. She had completely recovered from the cone shell experience it seems. Unlike most people who get attacked by animals as kids, she’s showing no signs of post-traumatic phobia for the animals in question – in this case, snails.

Keith was sitting in the middle of the driveway, shaded by the trees. Propped in front of him was a painting on a drawing board, predominantly an arresting vibrant green. Beside the old desk he had dragged from the garage earlier, filled with a dizzying array of pastel sticks in all the shades and hues imaginable.

Lee stopped as he saw the subject of the drawing. It was a portrait of Caz biting her tongue in concentration over her own efforts at painting the triton. Green grass around her, speckled with the long shadows of early morning sunlight. Fallen sickle-shaped leaves of eucalyptus sprinkled the painting with spots of brilliant crimson.

He had seen Keith’s art when he was younger, but the vibrant colors of pastel paintings, more alive than any photograph, always left him in awe.

“Getting the groove back, eh?” Lee spoke after observing in silence for a bit. “It’s been… what? Two years since you last painted something?”

Keith jumped a little. “Jeez, mate.” He wiped his hands with the chamois he had been polishing a section of the painting with. He looked at the painting fondly. “I reckon... Still think I have it?”

“If I may say so, you’re getting even better. Never did understand why you dropped it. Want some mangoes?”

“No thanks.” Keith replied absentmindedly as he dabbed at something on the surface of the painting. “I think it’s done.” He declared as he stood up from the stool and eyed his work. “You like it?”

“It’s a beaut.”

“It’s for you and Caz.” Keith smiled.

“But…”

“Something for her to remember by when she becomes a famous artist someday.” Keith winked.

Lee smiled. “If you put it that way… thank you. I’ll get Mr. Simmons to frame this under glass later.”

Keith nodded. “Tell him the cost is on me, mate.” Mr. Simmons and his sons ran the island’s art supply shop. Cronek was a pretty popular destination for artists. That fact made it far easier for Keith (and Caz) to get supplies. Otherwise he might have been forced to actually cut back on painting. Proper framing and storage materials are even harder to find than the actual painting materials used, even in the bigger towns in the mainland.

“I must warn you though – we’re running out of wall space quickly.” Lee added with a wry smile.

Keith laughed. “Good thing about pastel paintings is that they get finished quickly… or bad, depending on how you see it.”

Lee knew Keith had an entire room in his house filled with nothing but paintings. Not hung on the wall, but stacked carefully inside foam-padded boxes and sandwiched in glassine paper. There were so many of them. He once finished an average of three paintings a month, most of them done in one sitting.

“Going to have lunch with us?”

Keith glanced at the sun. “Oh. Didn’t notice the time. No thanks, Lee. Going to work early today. I’ll just grab a sammie in the kitchen.” With that he dashed off.

“Oi Keith.” Lee called out. “What about the painting?”

“Oh.” Keith hesitated at the steps to his house.

Lee laughed and waved a hand in dismissal. “No worries, mate. Go on, I’ll put these away.”

“Thanks, Lee.” Keith beamed and rushed into the house.

Lee chuckled under his breath as he placed the plate of mangoes on the stool. He started sorting the pastels by color back into the hundreds of little drawers in the old desk. He shook his head in amusement. “Ah… love.”

 

 


 

 

Keith ran the whole block from the bus terminal in the town center. Rounding the corner, he came to an abrupt stop, a smile already forming on his face.

Carl was leaning on the door of the shop. Shadowed beneath the canopy on the entrance, he was impatiently scanning the passers-by. His eyes lit up when he saw Keith.

Keith had to force himself to walk slower as he approached Carl. He drew up to him and grinned. “Early aren’t we?”

It was still fifteen minutes to 1 PM. “Speak for yourself.” Carl laughed and pulled Keith into his arms. He lifted him off the pavement for a few seconds, rocking him to and fro and purring like a lion.

“You do know it’s been only twelve hours since we last saw each other, right?” Keith murmured against Carl’s shoulder.

“You don’t say? Feels longer.”

“Thanks for last night.”

“I’m hoping we can have more of those soon.”

Keith laughed. “Come on, people are staring.” Disengaging himself from Carl’s hug, he took Carl’s hand and pulled him inside the shop.

Once inside, Carl hoisted Keith up against him. Face to face, he grinned then dropped a quick kiss on Keith’s lips.

“More please.” Keith whispered.

Carl grinned wider and obliged with a slower kiss.

“Are you ready yet?” Carl whispered playfully. “We could do it in the store room right now.”

“Wanker.” Keith nuzzled closer.

“We could do some mutual wanking too as warm-up.”

Keith laughed. “Carl…” The chimes jangled, interrupting him. They both looked up to see a young woman enter the shop.

She blushed furiously when she laid eyes on the two of them. “I’m sorry.”

Keith hastily jumped off Carl. He straightened his hair and coughed uncomfortably.

“Sorry.” The woman apologized again, but she was smiling. “The sign said ‘open’.”

“Er… it’s fine. We’re open. Me and umm…” Keith stammered then gave up and pointed lamely towards the counter and ran off.

He left Carl to deal with the customer, also as red-faced as him and the woman. “Sorry ‘bout that. How may we help you?”

“I was wondering if you had a copy of…” The woman named some bestsellers. Carl nodded assent at some of the books mentioned. They disappeared behind the large bookshelves in the back as he guided her to the sections where she could find them.

The next few hours were quite busy, but whenever the store was empty, Carl would sidle up to him and whisper sweet nothings. Keith knew they were acting like a couple of teenagers, but what the heck, he had never felt like this before.

The flow of customers slowed down mid-afternoon until it emptied some time after three. That was usually the hottest part of the day and most people were either napping or taking tea.

Predictably, Keith found himself once again sitting on Carl’s lap behind the counter. He ran his hands slowly along Carl’s short hair, loving the brush-like feel of it.

“Keith, what’s stopping you?” Carl’s pupils were slightly dilated from arousal, intensifying the bands of color on his iris.

“Sex?”

“Yeah.” There was no trace of humor in his expression. “I can help you. I’m not exactly an expert but…”

“It’s nothing serious, Carl. Just… scared at the pace is all.”

“Moving too fast?”

“A bit over two weeks ago, I had my first kiss. Last night I had my first date. Don’t you think it’s a bit… fast if I lose my virginity immediately afterwards?”

This time Carl laughed. “Honestly? No. This isn’t the Regency, and we’re not exactly Pride and Prejudice. It was almost the same for me anyway. My first date, first kiss, and losing my virginity happened all in one night.”

“Whore.”

Carl laughed and leaned in for a kiss. “It was bloody awful, to be honest. But that was because I was a gawky teenager getting cruised for the first time in a gay bar. Can’t even remember the guy’s name.”

“Whore.” Keith accused once again, laughing.

“All I could recall was being shit scared to be in a gay bar while being exhilarated at the same time.” Carl smiled as he traced lazy circles on Keith’s back with a fingertip.

“Why were you scared?”

“You were out since you were what… twelve, right?”

“Yeah.”

“I wasn’t. I was virtually asexual until I turned eighteen. It was my first time in a gay bar, and I was there alone.”

“Who was the bloke?”

“Oh I didn’t know him. He’s around our age now, early twenties or something. He was the first guy to buy me a drink.” Carl laughed. “I guess that’s all it took. He was quite a looker though and he was nice. Didn’t laugh when I er… came within the first three seconds.”

Keith started to laugh but caught himself. He reddened instead. “I probably will when we uh…”

Carl chuckled and nuzzled him. “So will I. It’s no biggie, mate. We’re both men, so it doesn’t really matter that much. Anyway, he taught me the nitty gritties so to speak.”

“So you came out afterwards?”

His expression suddenly went dark. “Yeah. My parents…”

Keith remembered their conversation last night. He pressed himself closer to Carl.

“My parents hated gays, I knew that beforehand. They’re big Family Firsters, ironic really. I thought I’d change their minds. Wrong. They cut me off just like that. Dad just told me to get my things out of the house by sundown.”

“Ouch.”

“Big ouch. I had to ask our bloody neighbor if I could use their phone. I called my aunt and she took me in after a good deal of pleading. We weren’t really rich, neither were my rellies, so she was none too happy about it. I promised her it would only be until I could finish high school. But yeah… my uni plans were pretty much shot.” The anger and resentment Carl was feeling was palpable.

“But you said you studied biology.” Keith asked quietly.

Carl looked away. “Someone else paid for it.”

Keith didn’t press further. If Carl found himself a sugar daddy just so he could finish his education, who was he to judge?

“Listen.” Keith began, not quite sure how to phrase it. “Back at the forest… when I told you that the worst thing that probably happened to you was a bad hair day?”

“Yeah.” Carl’s gloomy expression broke into a smile.

“I’m sorry.” Keith lowered his gaze. “You were right. I didn’t know what you’ve been through. Stupid thing to say.”

“It’s alright. You wouldn’t know anyway, from how I act.” Carl laughed. “Funny really, having had those stuff dumped on me made me more… laidback. Any day I’m not back in that street, with all the things to my name scattered around me on the curb, looking at the house I’ve lived in for 18 years, and having no idea where to go next. Any day that isn’t that day is a good day, I reckon.”

It had the exact opposite effect on me, Keith thought, but he didn’t say it out loud.

“Anyway.” Carl sighed. “I guess we got sidetracked with the tragedy of my life.” He made a wry face. “So where were we?”

“The birds and the bees, I think.” Keith was more than happy to get off any subject that made Carl sad.

“Heh. Look, mate. I promised I’ll wait and I will, but you can talk to me about anything. I won’t laugh, I swear.”

“I’m not exactly a nun, Carl. I know how it goes down and all. Heck, I probably have more porn than you in my computer.” He laughed.

“So go on, ask.”

“Okay.” Keith thought for a bit. “First question – are you a top or a bottom?”

“Both. Though I actually prefer bottoming.” Carl replied without even blinking.

Keith’s cheeks ballooned as he held back laughter.

“What?” Carl raised his eyebrows. “What did I say?”

“I was joking. Jeez, mate, you sound almost clinical when you say that.”

“What’s wrong with clinical?” Carl protested. “It’s just a fact. Not that I’ve actually done… uh… penetration that much.”

“TMI!” Keith squeezed his eyes shut and laughed.

“Oh come on. Now you’re laughing at me. No fair, mate.”

“It’s just…”

“It’s just sex. That’s all.” Carl finished for him. “It’s just sex. It’s who you have sex with that matters.”

Keith’s laughter trailed off and he shrugged. “I guess.”

“I want to have sex with you.” It was blunt to the point of being crude. But the way Carl said it, it almost sounded like a marriage proposal to Keith.

Keith went quiet as his real uncertainties surfaced. Would this be a one-time thing? Would Carl lose interest in him once he discovered how woefully inexperienced Keith was in bed? Would Carl even find him attractive naked?

“And…?”

“Right…” Carl sighed and rearranged Keith against him so he was leaning against his chest. “I can see where this is going.”

Keith didn’t reply, the atmosphere between them had gone somber.

“Keith. This isn’t just sex.”

“You just said it was.” Keith couldn’t help interjecting, chuckling a little.

“Shush. Come on, mate, I’m being serious here.” Carl squeezed him lightly.

“Sorry. Go on.”

“It’s not just sex because it’s you. I like you a lot and if you’re worried that it’s just that, I can wait and prove it. I like you and I want a lot more than just a quick root.”

“Is that you’re roundabout way of asking me to be your boyfriend?”

Carl went completely still beneath him. “I didn’t want to scare you by having that talk so soon. But yeah, I’d like that.” He replied quietly.

Keith felt his eyes grow moist. A smile of pure happiness appeared on his face.

“Yes.” He whispered.

“What did you say?” Carl’s voice was strained.

“Yes.” Keith said louder and turned around. He buried his face in Carl’s chest, so happy he could burst.

“Awww!”

Keith jumped out of Carl’s lap at the sound.

From behind the corner hiding the counter from the front door, a couple of heads peeked at them – one asian, the other blond.

“Bloody hell, Kat!” Keith glared at the both of them. Carl was guffawing behind him.

“Oh get over it, Keith. We only heard the last part.” Kat flipped a hand in dismissal and walked towards a rack of magazines.

Miri just shrugged in her eternal ‘I’m innocent’ gesture. “Grats?” She offered sheepishly.

Keith ignored her though Carl mouthed a ‘Thanks’ behind him. “Kat, don’t think I’ve forgiven you for last night yet.”

“Why, what happened last night?” Kat looked at him, wide-eyed.

Keith growled in exasperation.

“Hey I know what I did was wrong and all. I’m doing laundry for a whole month for that. That’s sufficient punishment don’t you think?”

“Make her do the dishes too.” Miri piped up, thumbing through the books on the counter.

Kat glared at her back. “Cruel and unusual.”

“How the hell did you get in so quietly anyway? Chimes broken?”

“Hell no.” Kat sniffed indignantly. “The chimes rang loud enough. You two were just too busy pashing to notice.”

Carl had moved closer behind Keith. “Calm down… boyfriend.” He whispered playfully as he circled his arms around him. He kissed the top of his head.

Keith had to smile at that.

“You guys aren’t the only ones changing relationship statuses.” Kat said as she sat down on the lounge. Her expression had suddenly gone serious.

Keith’s gaze jumped from Kat to Miri.

“No…” He frowned.

“No, boofhead.” Miri smiled. “Not us.”

“Then who?”

“John called us last night when we got home from er…” Kat grinned. “Taking a stroll in East Beach.”

“In the most ridiculous clobbers you can find, yeah right.” Keith rolled his eyes.

“Whatever.” Kat sighed. “Anyway, they’re having problems.”

“But… they were fine when they last visited Caz at the hospital.” Carl protested.

“I know. Which just makes it even crazier.” Kat twirled a lock of her hair.

“Personally, I think John’s imagining things.” Miri said.

“What exactly is the problem?” Keith asked.

“John thinks Brett is having an affair.”

“Brett?” Keith scoffed.

“I know! It’s Brett. That’s like… impossible!” Kat jumped up and approached the counter. “Rumor has it he’s been seeing a lot of a certain hunky mainlander lately.”

“Kissing?”

“I don’t know. The real problem is that Brett doesn’t say anything about it. He makes up dozens of excuses to John whenever he goes out with the guy.”

“Who’s the guy?”

“I don’t know either.”

“Kat wants to see who the bloke is.” Miri said.

“Yeah, and maybe bite off an ear or two.” Kat laughed humorlessly. “We’ve asked John to tell us when Brett makes another of those excuses so we can tail him.”

“Just don’t wear any more ninja outfits.” Carl warned.

“That’s why we want you with us. If it were just us, we’d stuck out like sore thumbs. At least with you we can say we’re out taking the newlyweds for a walk.”

“Newlyweds.” Keith and Carl repeated. They looked at each other and smiled.

“That’s a yes, yeah?”

“I reckon.” Keith shrugged. “I want to see who this bloke is anyway. And yeah, I still don’t believe Brett’s doing anything wrong.”

“Good. Might happen in the next few days. Anyway arvo’s getting’ on. We’d better be going.” Kat grabbed Miri’s hand and dragged her off.

“Say hi to Caz for us.” Miri called out as the door closed behind them.

“Will do.” Keith replied. He turned around and looked up at Carl. “So…”

“So… boyfriend.” Carl’s eyes were sparkling.

“Boyfriend.” Keith confirmed, his heart doing a little dance.

“Boyfriend, just ten minutes ago you were telling me how this was moving a bit too fast, eh?” Carl winked.

“Two weeks of knowing each other isn’t really that short is it, boyfriend?”

“It will be three actually by tomorrow, boyfriend.”

“See?”

Carl picked him up and sat him on the counter. Smiling, he leaned in for a kiss. It started out slow and playful but before they knew it they were both panting for more. Carl finally pulled away, his cheeks flushed.

“I want you, Keith.”

“I want you too.” Keith swallowed, his breath coming in ragged gasps.

“I want you.” Carl repeated, brushing the tip of his nose against Keith’s.

“Fuck this.” Keith cursed as he leaned in for another kiss. “Just take me home tonight, Carl.”

Copyright © 2011 Hylas; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..