Jump to content
    Hylas
  • Author
  • 2,748 Words
  • 2,269 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Long List of Nevers - 18. Chapter 18

Carl was drumming his fingertips against the small of Keith’s back as he held him close, the sea breeze whipping Keith’s hair under his chin. They stood together on the main pier of Cronek, watching other people board a large sleek catamaran ferry. Carl will be going to Exmouth by the same boat and then by plane back to Perth. It was the fastest route from Cronek, as Exmouth’s Learmonth Airport was the nearest with daily flights to Perth.

 

“I’m having second thoughts.” He laughed nervously, blinking against the glare of the morning sun.

 

“Stop worrying, mate. Just remember you’re not at their mercy anymore.” Keith had to remember Carl was still twenty-two, still new to the idea of being an adult. “If they still won’t accept you, you can just leave.”

 

“It’s not that.” Carl leaned down to kiss Keith’s forehead. “It’s because I’m fucking missing you already.” He laughed.

 

“Want me to go with?” Keith looked up, smiling. “It’s not too late.”

 

“Naw. I’ll just be gone for a week at most. I can’t stay away any longer than that.” He sighed. “Besides, I’m not exactly sure if they’re ready to meet the boyfriend yet.”

 

Keith grinned at the word. He still couldn’t get enough of hearing it from Carl’s lips. It made it real. “And someone’s got to watch the bookstore, right?”

 

“Yep. Oh wait. Christ, I almost forgot.” He let go of Keith as he dug into a jacket pocket. He brought out a ring of keys. “House keys, keys to store, car keys.” He enumerated them. “Don’t forget to lock up. If the next shipments from Davo arrive just leave them in the storeroom, I’ll sort them once I get back.”

 

Keith nodded as he accepted the keys and pocketed it.

 

“Fuck, I’ll miss you.” Carl enfolded him in his arms again.

 

Keith squeezed back, sighing. “One week, right?”

 

“One week.”

 

Keith laid his head against the firm muscles of Carl’s chest. He could hear his heart over the sound of the waves. He closed his eyes and smiled.

 

“All aboard!” The ticket inspector bellowed from beneath the canopy shading the boarding ramp.

 

“I have to go.” Carl raised his hands at the guy. He kissed Keith quickly, deeply. With a final tender smile, he ran to the waiting cat.

 

“Good luck.” Keith called out after him. “And hurry the fuck back!” He added, laughing.

 

Carl showed his ticket to the inspector and boarded the deck between the ship’s twin prows. He started off to where he had stowed his luggage earlier. Reaching the stairs for the passenger deck on top, he hesitated then turned back. He beckoned Keith closer, a frown on his face.

 

Keith hurriedly approached the edge of the pier, carefully avoiding the men who were disengaging the boarding ramp.

 

The crew were already casting off the mooring lines. Jets of boiling water erupted aft. They swerved to point towards the dock as the rudders turned. The cat started to move itself away from the pier, streams of water pouring from the ballasts.

 

There was already a two meter wide gap between Keith and Carl, and widening by the second.

 

“Forgot something?” Keith yelled out over the noise of the engines.

 

“Keith, when I get back…” Carl paused as the engine nearest to the docks revved up, drowning out his voice.

 

The cat started to twist around to point towards the harbor entrance. Carl had to walk rapidly to the starboard side to keep Keith in his sight.

 

“When I get back there’s something I have to tell you.” He yelled again, cupping his hands around his mouth.

 

Keith had no idea what he was talking about, but he gave him a thumbs-up sign and a nod to show that he had heard him.

 

Carl dropped his arms to grip the railings and smiled. The cat, now aligned, began to pick up speed, the double plume of white water behind it lengthening.

 

Keith stood there watching the ship depart. It quickly became too far away to pick Carl out on the deck, but Keith stayed until he could no longer hear the dull drone of its engines.

 

He sighed.

 

He was going to miss him. It seemed like his life just began in the past three weeks… the past three days. He couldn’t anymore imagine what life was like before Carl.

 

A silver gull held aloft the harbor by the strong sea winds uttered a piercing, lamenting cry.

 

Keith heartily agreed with it.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Keith slid into the booth, trying to be as inconspicuous as he could. Kat and Miri had chosen the most isolated table they could find, partially screened from the rest of the pub by a large planter.

 

“Is he here yet?” He whispered to Kat and Miri.

 

“No, where’s Carl?” Despite Keith’s warnings, Kat had worn an overcoat and a fedora hat. She looked like a female caricature of Sherlock Holmes… if he had been blonde and busty, that is.

 

“He had to leave for the mainland. His father had a heart attack.”

 

“Damn. Is his dad alright?” Miri frowned. She wore a variant of her earlier outfit back on East Beach. A black giggle hat, black pants, and a leather jacket.

 

“Yeah, he’s alright. It’s not the problem. The problem is his parents disowned him when he was eighteen, and this time his dad asked for him. Might be a reconciliation, might be a last-ditch effort to turn him straight.” Keith shrugged. “Anyway, what are you guys wearing?!”

 

Among the casually dressed clientele of Cronek’s gay pub, they stood out like sore thumbs.

 

“What’s wrong with it, mate?” Kat protested. She patted the brim of her hat defensively. “And shit, you mean Carl’s parents…?”

 

“Are homophobes, yeah.”

 

“Poor guy.” Miri clucked her tongue as she scanned the overflowing pub again.

 

“Have you guys talked to Wazza yet?”

 

“Nope.”

 

Keith sighed. “Okay, stay here. I’ll go ask.”

 

Keith got up and approached the bar. Wazza was talking to a couple of tourists. His eyes lit up as he caught sight of Keith. Excusing himself from the conversation, he went over to Keith.

 

“Fancy seeing you here.” Wazza grinned.

 

“No I’m not here to pick anyone up.” Keith laughed.

 

“Oh yeah, heard you and Carl were shacking up.”

 

Keith sighed. “Let me guess. The Kat News Network?”

 

Wazza laughed. “Lee actually. Turns out you weren’t home the past two days, eh?” He winked.

 

Keith blushed. “Yeah… we’re going steady I guess.”

 

“Fucking good on ya, mate!” Wazza clapped a hand on his shoulder. Before Keith could protest Wazza was hollering for Pat.

 

Pat emerged from the kitchen, wiping some glasses. “Hey, Keith.” He smiled.

 

“Keith got himself a boyfriend.” Wazza grinned proudly at Keith, making him turn redder.

 

“Whoa! Carl?”

 

“Yep.”

 

Pat laughed. “That’s fucking awesome, mate.” Keith braced himself as Pat came closer and gave him another hearty slap on the shoulder. “So lost the cherry yet?”

 

“Pat, what the fuck!” Keith laughed.

 

Pat smirked. “You did. I can tell.”

 

Wazza slung an arm around Pat’s shoulders and laughed. “Want some champagne or something fancy? On the house.” He glanced behind Keith. “You here with him?”

 

“No thanks, Wazza.” Keith cleared his throat. “He’s off to Perth for a week. Had something to attend to. Anyway, I’m not here for that. I want to ask you guys something. It’s a bit… sensitive.”

 

“Ooh. He’s great with sex tips.” Pat kissed Wazza’s beard.

 

Keith covered his face with a hand in exasperation. “No and I’m serious here, guys.”

 

“Sorry.” Pat laughed. “He is though!” He laughed again and raised his hands as Keith rolled his eyes. “Ok, let’s hear it!”

 

Keith looked around the pub and leaned closer. “Have you guys seen Brett here lately?”

 

“Yeah, why?”

 

“Has he been here with someone?”

 

Wazza scratched his balding pate. “Yeah, lately he’s been having drinks with this guy. Youngish, around your age. Big bloke, handsome to boot. Looked rich.”

 

Keith’s heart sank at the words. Sounded just like a guy Brett would go for. “Have they done anything suspicious?”

 

Pat frowned. “What do you mean suspicious?”

 

Wazza raised an eyebrow. “You mean anything illegal?”

 

“No.” Keith shook his head. “Have they been doing anything together?”

 

“Drugs?” Pat’s eyes widened.

 

“Fuck, mate. Maybe he’s undercover or something, isn’t that what they do?”

 

“Christ, you guys watch too many thrillers.”

 

They both tilted their heads to the same direction quizzically, reminding Keith of a couple of koalas.

 

“No!” He laughed. “This has nothing to do with him being a cop, okay? I mean, has he been acting… I don’t know…” He shrugged. “Romantic with him or anything?”

 

They both scoffed. “Brett?!”

 

“How can you even think that of him?”

 

“That means no, right?”

 

“Of course.” Wazza snorted indignantly. “They were just talking.”

 

“Okay, thanks.” Keith turned to leave. “And oh, one last thing, he’ll be coming here tonight. Don’t mention anything about this, okay? Or that we’re even here at all.” He gestured back towards Kat and Miri.

 

“Whatever you say, mate.” Wazza met Pat’s gaze. They both shrugged.

 

Keith felt better as he walked back towards their booth. If no one has actually seen them do anything weird, then maybe the guy is a business associate. But then again, Wazza and Pat aren’t really renowned for being observant.

 

“What’d he say?” Kat whispered as he took his seat again.

 

“Good, I guess. They haven’t seen him do anything with the guy. But he’s definitely been coming here with someone.”

 

Kat and Miri exchanged glances.

 

“Look, when are they coming anyway?”

 

“When Brett gets off duty, I think. John said he told him he’d be coming over with the guy right about now.”

 

Keith nodded. “Well, let’s get some drinks while we wait.”

 

They both agreed. They ordered a beer for each of them from a passing waiter. But when the guy came back, he gave them champagne instead.

 

Kat and Miri started to protest, but Keith shushed them and pointed apologetically back at the bar. Wazza and Pat waved back, grinning.

 

“It’s on the house, don’t worry.” Keith said. “I told them about Carl and me.”

 

“In that case, no complaints here.” Kat grinned.

 

“Nope.” Miri laughed as she watched the waiter open it and pour each of them a glass. The waiter replaced it on the ice bucket and left. They settled back and enjoyed it.

 

The place was packed as it always was during tourist season. Not quite like the strobe lights and endless disco music of the bars in Perth, the pub was quaint. Pat’s decision, as he was not really a big fan of glitter. There was a dance club in the adjoining room, though it was just as likely to play country as it did the newest Kylie records.

 

Keith savored the new feeling of security of not being single anymore. No more worrying about looking like a dipstick at not snagging anyone before the bar closes. No more well-meaning pitying looks from Wazza and Pat. He had Carl now, and all the snotty pretty boy tourists in here could suck it.

 

He grinned and sipped more of the champagne.

 

“So what was that about Carl’s dad?” Kat asked.

 

“The usual, conservative parents and all that. I’m hoping they patch it up though. Carl really needs it.”

 

“Yeah. We were lucky.” Kat sighed.

 

“I wasn’t.” Miri murmured. Kat looked at her and hugged her. “But yeah, even my parents accept it now.”

 

“I’ve met them.” Kat agreed. “Wasn’t exactly the most comfortable of family introductions, but I could definitely see them trying to accept Miri for what she is. I appreciated that.”

 

“It just takes time.” Miri shrugged. “My parents are way better about it now. They threatened to cut me off when I first came out at sixteen.”

 

“They did disown him. Completely.” Keith bit his lip. “Carl’s still angry at them for just throwing him out on the streets.”

 

“Oh dear.” Miri frowned in sympathy.

 

Kat suddenly ducked her head down. “I think they’re here.” She whispered urgently.

 

“Where?” Miri and Keith started to stand to get a better look at the booths on the other side of the planter.

 

“Sit down.” Kat hissed. “Do you want them to see us?”

 

Keith had indeed seen Brett sit down with a man in a booth near the entrance.

 

“Can you see him?”

 

Miri shook her head.

 

Keith peered through the spaces between the ferns in the planter. All he could see was Brett facing them and the guy’s back. But Wazza was right, even turned away, the guy was definitely a looker, just judging from those muscles alone.

 

“He’s huge.” Miri whispered, also peering through the leaves.

 

Keith estimated the guy was about the same size and build as Carl. That was where the resemblance ended though. The guy was dressed in expensive-looking but casual clothes and had black hair reaching down to his ears.

 

They watched discreetly for about half an hour. So far, nothing was happening. They weren’t showing anything that could be even remotely construed as affectionate. Brett hadn’t laughed, even once. Unusual since he was probably the most cheerful among their group of friends.

 

“I don’t think he’s rooting him.” Kat finally said, grinning.

 

“Yeah.” Keith sighed in relief.

 

“I think someone should ‘accidentally’ see him first though.” Miri suggested. “Just so we can quiz Brett later without giving away that we’ve been snooping on them.”

 

“Good idea. And we can meet the guy as well.” Kat nodded.

 

“Should we all go, pretend we’re leaving or something?”

 

“And miss out on the rest? No. We have to find a way to invite them over.”

 

“The men’s loo is right near the entrance. I could pretend to be going there.”

 

“Brilliant!” Kat beamed.

 

“Okay. But get rid of those first.” Keith snatched both of their hats off and threw them on the seat between them. They didn’t protest. “What should I say?” He asked as he got up. He nervously ran a hand through his hair.

 

“’A-ha! So this is your mistress, you evil two-timing bastard!’ And then spill some champagne on the guy, slap Brett hard, and run away as fast as you can.” Kat offered.

 

Miri slapped her upside the head lightly, as Kat was in danger of lapsing into her infamous glass-breaking laughter again. But she was giggling as she did.

 

“Just greet him, mate. How hard can that be? He’ll then introduce you to the perp and you can invite them here for champagne.” Kat gestured at the ice bucket. “Et voilà! Interrogation!”

 

“Okay.” Keith drew a deep breath. “Wish me luck.”

 

“’Luck.”

 

Keith made his way out of booth. He still couldn’t see the guy from his direction of approach, but he could see Brett. He looked quite polite and serious, precisely like how one should look like when discussing business.

 

He was a couple of meters away when Brett looked up and saw him.

 

“Keith!”

 

“Oh hey, Brett. What are you doing here?” Keith said the words a little bit too quickly. He was never very good at lying.

 

“Just some business matters, mate. You here with Carl?”

 

“Nope. Kat and Miri.”

 

“Oh sorry. Keith this is Joshua Avery. Josh this is Keith Harris, an old friend of mine.”

 

Keith didn’t hear any of the words. He was staring in shock at the guy. The stylishly cut hair, the handsome aristocratic features, the misleadingly disarming boyish smile, and the heavily muscled body that could pound the living shit out of you…

 

“Hello, Keith. It’s been years, mate.”

Copyright © 2011 Hylas; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..