Jump to content
    Hylas
  • Author
  • 656 Words
  • 3,948 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Long List of Nevers - Prologue. Prologue

Thanks to 'The Australian' for edits.

Keith Harris was a hunted man.

 

Nearing the huge bonfire on the beach, he forced himself to slow down so as not to stand out in the crowd. He threaded through the people milling yards away from the inferno, frantically looking for a place to hide. He carefully avoided meeting any of the gazes of the people around him, fearful of someone recognising and calling attention to him.

 

Surveying the more isolated tables on the gentle slope of the dunes, he spotted a table of complete strangers. Perfect, he thought as he quickened his pace.

 

Keith grunted as his shin hit the edge of a low bench. He gritted his teeth against the pain as he slid quickly into the seat, tucking his legs under the table. He was still panting. He smiled tightly at the startled occupants. He waited for his breath to return to normal. “Hi.”

 

“Hey.” A camera-toting woman, obviously a tourist, greeted back. Uncertain smiles of greeting flickered on the faces around the table as well.

 

“So…” Keith began, his mind racing as he thought of ways to get these people to hide him, without them actually realising that they were hiding him.

 

A shrill whistle blasted from behind him, back from where the revelers were clumped around the bonfire.

 

Too late, Keith thought. Everyone forgot the intruder on their table as they craned their necks to see what was happening. Keith didn’t need to look. He knew perfectly well what was going on. Looking around in panic, his gaze latched on a man with a rather out of place sombrero resting in front of him. He mumbled an unintelligible plea for permission, then grabbed the hat and plopped it on his own head without waiting for an answer. The owner gaped at him, speechless. Keith just pulled it further down over his ears in response, praying he won’t try and get it back.

 

“Anybody seen Keith Harris around here?”

 

The question came from two tables down. Keith cursed under his breath, frantically searching for something, anything, that would make him blend in better. He spotted a tray of apples, hoping to cover his face by chomping into one, he quickly pulled it to him. As he raised an apple to his mouth, his eyes met the person who had originally been enjoying another of the apples.

 

Keith’s heart sank. It was James, one of the divemasters.

 

He had hoped he’d picked a table far enough from the main group that he’d be safely hidden amongst the mostly oblivious tourists. It was just his rotten luck that he had picked the table with James.

 

James knew perfectly well why Keith was trying to hide.

 

“James… please, mate…?”

 

With a twinkle in his eye, the traitorous bastard whistled at Keith’s pursuer and pointed at Keith. “He’s right here!”

 

“Wanker!” Keith shot up, throwing the sombrero and the uneaten apple at the guffawing James.

 

He bolted off up the beach as he heard a cacophony of whistles break out amongst his pursuers. His sandal-shod feet couldn’t get enough traction in the sand, slowing him down considerably.

 

He glanced back to see his pursuers: two brawny guys dressed as cops with a rather unconventional twist – instead of pants, both had skimpy red speedos on. They wore boots, also not quite ideal for running in the sand. Not that that made any difference whatsoever. Both men were a great deal fitter than Keith.

 

He just managed to reach the grass line before he was suddenly encased in an iron-hard embrace and brought down. The guy who tackled him had cushioned him from the brunt of the fall, but Keith’s teeth still rattled with the impact on the soft sand.

 

His right arm was quickly cuffed.

 

He was doomed.

Copyright © 2011 Hylas; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..