Jump to content

Between Two Mountains 10. Ravello series

   (5 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Drama

A novel in twelve chapters.

Summer 2020, and the inhabitants of the Italian mountain town of Ravello are making up for lost time after three months stuck at home. Families are celebrating being reunited at last, and the appetite for romance has never been higher.

However, two teenage boys are navigating this unusual summer alone. Cosmo, a lost soul, and Marco, a recently found soul, find their lives entwined by the fact that everybody seems to have a boyfriend except them. Both of them have experienced pain and neglect in the past; but can they both overcome it to find fulfilment in the present?

As always, this story contains SPOILERS for earlier titles in the Ravello series.
Content warning:
If this story has a message, it's that not everybody can be happy in paradise. Cosmo is a troubled character, and his half of this story contains darker material than I usually choose to write. As the story goes on, expect strong language, casual drug abuse, uncomfortable scenes of a would-be sexual nature and active consideration of suicide.
Copyright © 2024 James Carnarvon; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (10 members)

  • Action Packed 5
  • Addictive/Pacing 7
  • Characters 9
  • Chills 3
  • Cliffhanger 4
  • Compelling 8
  • Feel-Good 6
  • Humor 3
  • Smoldering 3
  • Tearjerker 6
  • Unique 7
  • World Building 6

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 7,653 Words
    • 1,268 Views
    • 22 Comments
  • 2. Chapter 2
    • 6,125 Words
    • 546 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 3. Chapter 3
    • 6,567 Words
    • 602 Views
    • 28 Comments
  • 4. Chapter 4
    • 6,690 Words
    • 563 Views
    • 25 Comments
  • 5. Chapter 5
    • 7,734 Words
    • 434 Views
    • 13 Comments
  • 6. Chapter 6
    • 8,552 Words
    • 504 Views
    • 20 Comments
  • 7. Chapter 7
    • 6,832 Words
    • 521 Views
    • 20 Comments
  • 8. Chapter 8
    • 6,802 Words
    • 390 Views
    • 11 Comments
  • 9. Chapter 9
    • 6,365 Words
    • 480 Views
    • 21 Comments
  • 10. Chapter 10
    • 5,494 Words
    • 432 Views
    • 15 Comments
  • 11. Chapter 11
    • 6,795 Words
    • 470 Views
    • 23 Comments
  • 12. Chapter 12
    • 3,656 Words
    • 485 Views
    • 20 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Summerabbacat

· Edited by Summerabbacat

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

A return trip to Ravello is a welcome delight at any time of the year, but for this reader at least a return trip in the height of summer is when Ravello presents its most glorious self. From the avenue of oleanders to the scraping of my beloved cicadas, the lemons, the olives and the grape vines, the sparkling water off the Amalfi coast and the scorching midday sun, sheer perfection, and @James Carnarvon describes all with such reverence I can visualise myself there, enjoying these Ravelloesque delights.

This story is somewhat darker than James' usual fare, but let it be said, his writing style is NOT reminiscent of a soap opera. Many of the reader favourites return, with the addition of three new characters who are integral to this latest work, all three of whom have had anything but happy childhoods. 

The highlight of this latest work for me was the growth, the extraordinary growth of Marco, my favourite "Carnarvon creation". Like Ravello itself, it was the "little mouse's" turn to shine, and shine he does.

And finally on a very personal note, I have found James' stories of great comfort over the course of the last three years, through some very sad times. The joy his stories bring delight many, and it is the delight of these stories and the sharing of comments by his faithful readers, which have brought joy to me on many an occasion when sadness threatened to overwhelm.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
drsawzall

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

The tenth story in a series of growing up in Ravello, and is perhaps the best of all of them. Nothing is easy as it seems for our young protagonists as they chart their way in the confusing world of growing up and the many faceted challenges they face together, and alone.

Once again, we readers here at GA are so fortunate to have such quality writing to peruse. While this is a standalone story, it is much richer if you read the series from the beginning!!!

  • Love 4
Link to review
Talo Segura

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

A wonderful tale by a brilliant author which deserves all the compliments showered upon it. In some measure it departs a little from the the overall feel good emotions of previous tomes, but not very far. The ending underlines this and is not perhaps how I would have chosen to tie things up, nevertheless, it is the author's prerogative to take his characters to their destiny, however he sees it.

The story is as always with this series, compelling, full of little twists and surprises, with a few cliffhanger moments along the way. It left me with a huge hole in my heart for Cosmo, one of the story protagonists, who struggles with what life's thrown at him and wrestles with himself. His plight effects how I see Marco, the other protagonist, who does nothing wrong, indeed is probably exemplary in his actions, which only serves to emphasise the depths to which Cosmo, his would be friend, falls to.

The happy ending is not so happy for everyone, but despite everything that happens, James Carnarvon never leaves the reader unsatisfied, nor without hope. I, like many other readers, hope he returns to Ravello to take us on another journey together. Without any hesitation I recommend this book, but then, if you've followed the series so far, it needs no recommendation because you're already hooked!

  • Love 4
Link to review
pvtguy

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

In this 10th volume of the Ravello series, this is outstanding in its depth.  This story focuses on Cosmo, Elisabetta, Giorgio, and Marco, primarily, with all the others making their appearance at opportune times.  Marco finds a purpose in his life in helping Giorgio see himself as a worthwhile and worthy individual in his own right;  Cosmo hits rock bottom emotionally but is saved by his brother, Luca.  Betta rejects anything positive but does not drag Cosmo to her final consequence. 

This is a compelling and extremely well written story unto itself, but a superb addition to the series.

  • Love 6
Link to review
weinerdog

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to describe this wonderful story.While I'm doing that I'm certain one of my more eloquent fellow readers will have a great review until I figure out what to say.But one thing I can do and say without giving a second thought, and that is the sooner this story has 5 stars next to it the better.For those of you who haven't read the Ravello series yet do yourself a favor and make time to do so.You won't regret it 

  • Like 2
  • Love 5
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..