Jump to content
    jamiiewhiite
  • Author
  • 1,125 Words
  • 1,512 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Summoner's Heart - 3. Chapter 3: The Calling, Part II

Edited as of 07/14/2011

King Kailan Everett III was a powerful man. He stood at a height over seven feet tall and had a body of solid lean muscle honed by many years of training; most men trembled at his presence and most Titanians were jealous. He was also daringly handsome, with short dark brown hair and deep blue eyes Mentally he was quick witted, a master strategist with the personality of a humble man, virtuous and bold. He ruled his Empire with divine justice. He believed in what his family and Empire stood for.

The Everett Family was one of the first of the Titanians to cross the Anorak Ocean to find a new home in these parts of Gaia. For so many years, the Kingdom has been a place of hope for so many others. It was his sworn duty to protect the weak. This was his family’s legacy to uphold and pass down to future generations. He loved his Kingdom just as much as his family. For not them, he would be completely lost. Kailan carried this burden of the name Everett willingly though sometimes his duties left little time for his children. There was always some matter that needed his full attention, whether it was of the Titanian Arms or the Senate breathing down his neck. He wished there was more time in the day to spend time with them.

Kailan lost his wife, Queen Eleanor, after the birth of Fayth due to some unknown illness caused by stress of giving birth. He never blamed Fayth for what had happened, knowing it wasn’t his son’s fault. He cherished Fayth as a reminder of his first love. He was a wounded man after and never remarried. Kailan didn’t want to either, he was content with things how they were. He fathered four heirs to the throne, and as a father he could rest easy knowing his Kingdom was in capable hands. He trusted and loved all this children, only worrying about what the future had in store for them. Though there hadn’t been a war in the last hundred years, Kailan felt a storm was approaching his beloved Kingdom. He wanted them all ready when he would surely need all of his children to help maintain peace. He trusted that they were ready to guide their people.

Kailan was sitting next to Fayth’s bed looking troubled. With all the strength that he carried on his shoulders, he was helpless. He couldn’t bear it if anything were to happen to his youngest child, especially after Eleanor’s death. The bedroom door opened, breaking him away from his thoughts.

“Your Majesty, I came as soon as I was told,” the Circle Elder said. Old and wise, Elder Auron was one of the most powerful Magji of White mana and acting as one of the three Circle Elders. It was coming up to be his one hundredth and twenty three year, but he didn’t look over fifty as Magji tend to age must slower than most races. The man had a distinguished face; stern and intelligent due to the many years he experienced. His eyes were bright and lively, and he had short hair as white as snow. When standing next to a Titanian, he only met at their shoulder.

“I am glad you are here Auron. I don’t know what else to do. I cannot bear the thought of losing him...,” King Kailan replied back helplessly. “The healers have looked him over, they found nothing amiss.”

“Be strong my friend and tell me what had happened.” He looked at the King calmly. Kailan told Auron what had transpired during supper and what happened from what he learned from Glenn, Fayth’s caretaker. “Hmm… I see,” not saying anything more, the Elder approached the bed and looked down at the pained face of Fayth. “Esuna!” he cast as a rainbow light enveloped Fayth. Nothing happened as the spell found nothing evil. A layer of sweat covered the young prince’s body. “May I?” He pointed down at Fayth’s light tunic.

“Yes, do what you must Auron,” the King answered desperately.

Lifting up the tunic so he could get a closer look at the prince’s chest and stomach, they were both surprised to see Fayth’s mana core glowing. The faint blue glow of the mana core spiderwebbed off in all different directions and up Fayth’s chest. The prince was breathing heavily.

“How could his be? What in the world is this Auron?!” the King demanded, sounding panicked. “We didn’t notice that earlier.”

Auron was silently thinking. He knew it was unlikely, but it was the only possibility he could come up with. There could only be one explanation he knew of when a mana core acts in such a manner. Signing he said, “Your Majesty, please sit and calm yourself.” He tried to stay calm, if only for his Kings sake. Kailan grudgingly sat himself down, trying to relax. “Your Majesty, I believe our young prince here is being summoned.” There was a pause in the air.

“What do you mean ‘summoned…’ You can’t possibly mean that…,” Kailan sounded totally sick to his stomach. “This cannot be! There hasn’t been one reborn in centuries,” Kailan demanded.

“I am not completely sure your Majesty, but it is all I can come up with,” Auron replied looking just as helpless. “If I am right, there isn’t much time. We need to…”

“Yes, I know. I know what to do,” Kailan said cutting the Elder off. “Guards!” Kailan called.

Two Elite Royal Knights appear at the doorway. “Yes your Majesty?”

“I want you to summon General Gates, Captain Rorrick and my other children to the Royal Court immediately!”

“Yes your Majesty!” The Knights were off.

Looking back down at his son, King Kailan didn’t know what to think. He knew something was happening, but never this. This was his youngest son! How can fate be so cruel? He wasn’t sure if Fayth was ready for such a burden to be lain down on him. He was still so very young. All he could hope for was the will to believe in his son for now. Gaia rested in his hands.

Kneading down, he kissed his son on the forehead. “Be strong. I love you always, my son,” Kailan whispered tenderly. “Auron, we must go prepare. There is a long and dark road ahead of us all.”

“Yes your Majesty.” They left the young prince to sleep peacefully as the sun set down upon the palace. A light breeze was coming in from the window, bringing with it the salty ocean air.



Discuss this chapter?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
You can drop me a line anytime at jamiehvu@gmail.com

Thanks for reading :]
And a bigger thanks to my editors and beta reader!

Copyright © 2011 jamiiewhiite; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..