Jump to content
    jamiiewhiite
  • Author
  • 2,220 Words
  • 1,528 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Summoner's Heart - 7. Chapter 7: Messengers from Evergreen

Edited as of 07/20/2011

It had been a very long night yet King Kailan still couldn’t sleep. This mind was racing and there was still so much to do. Looking back to the night’s events he still couldn’t believe what had occurred. He was a confused mess. He thought bringing Fayth down into the Antechamber of Trails would help reveal some sliver of truth, but it only brought back was a man named Evan and more questions to be answered.

King Kailan sat at his desk within his personal chambers. In front of him was a mountainous stack of parchment from varies organization of nobility, the Senate, or the military that required his attention at the moment but all he could think about was the uncertain future.

***

Captain of the Knight Core, Garrett Rorrick was hurrying towards the palace. Garrett was the King’s right hand man. He helped the King manage the Knight Core which was established as the homeland security of the Kingdom. Garrett was Titanian who was orphaned at a young age; only with the help of the King had he survived thus far. The King found him desperately looking through the Royal trash one night so long ago. Instead of punishing him, he took him into his care. They were about the same age at the time and quickly became best of friends, but he knew he owed the King a debt he could never repay.

Garrett was a fiercely trained warrior of the double handed blade and top of his class at the Academy when he graduated many years ago. With discipline and talent, he quickly rose through the ranks and finally earned the title of Captain. He was proud to be standing next to the King as someone highly regarded and respected.

At the moment he was seeking the King as two Elvin messengers followed behind. They had been journeying from Evergreen Forest for the past three days. When they arrived at the Great Divider’s main gate, they demanded an audience with his King. An important message from their Queen was supposed to be delivered only to the King’s ears.

***

Looking out his bedroom window, King Kailan could see dawn approaching. Still sitting at his desk he decided, only grudgingly, to work on some of the paperwork that still demanded his attention. The Senate was going to have a field day when they heard about the security measures he took into place during the mobilization of the Titanian Arms. Still it couldn’t be helped, they would just have to get their heads out of their asses and deal with it. He was the King after all and as of late they had seemed to forget. He would just have to remind them. The Senate was a collection of only thirty members, belonging to different factions throughout the Empire, all having different agendas the voice of the people. It consisted of mostly Humes. It was within the Senate where most of the laws were introduced and passed as well as where trials were held. When elected to office, each Senator could only stay in office for a two years term until a new official replaced him. This kept the government new and fresh with ideas.

When the Senate makes an action they must vote, agreeing at least two-thirds on an act for it to be passed to King Kailan for final judgment. He could then veto against the action if he disagreed making then the Senate must then vote again, agreeing as a full house to override the King’s veto. The society was very much a monarchy, but the Senate acted as a separate government and a safeguard if the King became corrupt. King Kailan had to laugh, considering it was they, the Senate, who were the ones corrupted most of the time. It was also his job to keep them in check.

There was a knock on the door. “Come in,” King Kailan answered expecting a servant but finding Captain Garrett, his trusted best friend walking in.

He saluted, “Your Majesty, I have urgent news.”

“How many times do I have to tell you, Garrett, not to be so formal when there is no court around,” the King chastised.

“Right… Force of habit I guess,” Garrett replied looking most amused. It was one of their many games. “Anyways, I have a couple of messengers from Evergreen waiting for you.”

“Evergreen?” King Kailan said, sounding surprised. “What do they want?”

“They wouldn’t say, Kailan. I am told it is strictly for your ears only from their Queen, but I do not like this at all, them showing up unannounced. You know they never leave that damn forest of theirs unless it was for something important,” Garrett replied looking troubled.

“Great, this is all I need right now,” King Kailan sounding sarcastic. “Where are they?”

“In the Royal Court room,” Garrett said. He looked over at the King seeing how tired he was. “Maybe they can wait for a few hours longer. Kailan, you look like shit, why don’t you lay down for a few hours?”

“Damn, way to be honest. I feel like shit too if that makes you feel any better,” King Kailan replied snickering. “Maybe being formal isn’t such a good idea.”

“Don’t be such a baby!” Garrett countered as both friends burst out laughing.

“God, I needed that,” King Kailan said with a grin, feeling a little better. “Thanks.”

“It’s what I’m here for.”

“Anyways, back to business,” King Kailan sighed. “You know as much as I would like to keep them waiting, that’s not possible at the moment but if you would accompany me Garrett, I would greatly appreciated it. I’ve missed your presence lately with that damn Senate having you running around doing god knows what.”

“Of course, you know I’m always here for you,” Garrett replied sincerely. He was surprised by the King’s dependence on him. He promised himself to find more time for them for them to be together.

“Alright then, let’s go see what these elves want.”

***

Exiting the hidden passage that lead to the very front of the Royal Court room, King Kailan took a sit on his throne. Captain Garrett took his position to the King’s left. King Kailan studies the two messengers from Evergreen. The Elfins where a majestic kind; they stood tall with a slim, but powerful build, always looking so regal while presenting themselves with grace and dignity, each motion flowed just like water. The two elves had a light tan complexion with long black hair and grey eyes. They wore light wooden armor that would camouflage the two in forest like settings. They also carried long bows on their backs seemed to make the Royal Court quite uneasy.

The King motioned for them to approach the throne. “What can I do for you gentlemen’s on this early morning?” King Kailan said giving them a critical look.

“Your Majesty, we apologize for the intrusion but we come bearing a message from our Queen,” the one on the right explained.

“How is Queen Eshedr? I have not spoken to her in many long years,” King Kailan inquired.

“Our Queen is quite well but troubled…,” the elf said looking most impatient.

“I see….”

“Your Majesty, there isn’t must time and our land beacons our soon return so if we could discuss this in private…,” the elf replied looking around at all of the knight guards and Captain Garrett.

“Very well,” King Kailan motioned for the guards to leave. “But my Captain will stay.”

“But you Majes…”

“He will stay!” King Kailan said cutting the elf off sternly. Garrett would not have left King Kailan alone with these elves anyways.

“As you wish, your Majesty,” the other elf spoke for the first time, putting his arm on his companion’s shoulder and giving him a look that communicated silence.

“Well, Sir Elf, speak freely then. My King has other pressing matters to attend to,” Garrett interjected.

“My name is Cahott and my brother here is called Rireel. We were sent here to inform you that one of the Twelve Seals of Oblivion has been broken….” There was a long pause as King Kailan digested this new information.

“What do you mean ‘seals’ of Oblivion?” Garrett asked thinking the elf was mad.

“He means the awakening of Original Sin,” King Kailan answered Garrett. “The Twelve Seals of Oblivion was created when the Heroes of Howllight slain the monstrosity three centuries ago.”

“But I thought that was just a fairy tale to scare children.”

“From what I know it is,” King Kailan said looking at the elves. “Explain yourselves.”

“It is very real among my people. My race still remembers such times. Three centuries ago, the world lived in chaos. This world was ruled by Oblivion, the Original Sin and his six Daemons who enslaved ever single race known to Gaia, purging the world into darkness that lasted for decades. It was only through the great sacrifice of Summoner Emmett Armstrong and his Guardians did Gaia come to this now Golden Age. But now one of the Seals of Oblivion has been broken which keeps the Original Sin bound from resurrection. Our people believe it to be the work of many Spirit Elders of Morge, followers of Sin,” Cahott explained and there was another long pause and then he continued, “Within our forest, a small portion is known as the Sealed Forest. Three day ago, our people discover the forest blackened and destroyed, leaving the seal broken.”

“You must be joking!” Garrett finally said. “This is absurd your Majesty!”

“Calm yourself, Garrett, they speak the truth,” King Kailan responded. “This tale has been kept secret among the Royal Family for many generations. We do not speak of it lightly.”

“What does this all then mean, your Majesty?”

“It means our time of peace and propensity is soon to be threatened,” King Kailan reasoned. “Tell me, Cahott, what does your Queen wish to accomplish by relaying this information?”

“Our Queen believes that another summoner will be reborn soon. It was said that Emmett Armstrong was Magji and of your Royal bloodline,” Rireel replied. “She believes that someone within your family will receive the talent and our seers have foretold such events for many months. Our Great Seer sees an Angel from the heavens that will be bounded to this new summoner, giving this Magji the gift of Spirit Mana.”

“And what do you want with this summoner when he is found?” King Kailan asked not liking at all what he was hearing. He knew for sure now that Fayth was destined for a terrible future and his heart was breaking for his son.

“We of course would wish to bring this Magji back to Evergreen and train him in the ways of spirit mana and guild him towards victory against Oblivion.”

“I will not have a member of my family be treated like a tool!” King Kailan spat rising out of his throne and back down again. He was furious with such an idea that they want to use his son in such a dangerous manner.

“I apologize, your Majesty, but the new summoner is Gaia’s only hope!” Cohott replied looking taken a back.

“No! You will tell your Queen that my son will not be used by your own means!” King Kailan almost yelled. He was quickly losing control of his temper. Garrett was not surprised by the King’s reaction to the news at all. He was more shocked to find out that Prince Fayth was this “summoner” they were referring too for he was the only current Magji within the Royal Family. Garrett was just as fond with Fayth as the rest of the King’s children as they consider him an uncle. These elves would not have Fayth if he had any say in the matter.

“But your Majesty!” Cohott pleaded.

“That is enough!” King Kailan roared. “You will return to Evergreen and let Queen Eshedr know that I will do no such thing as sending one of my own to her, especially to a place that has never welcomed my people. She will send back an ambassador if she so wishes though and we can negotiate another means of diplomacy,” King Kailan said with finality. He got up from his throne livid and left through the hidden passage back to his chambers, feeling a great sense of dread.

“You heard the King, I would suggest doing what he says,” Garrett said as he was left standing there.

“As your King wishes then. We will send an ambassador. Expect him to arrive in a few weeks,” Cohott responded looking quite grim. “We best take our leave then.”

Garrett nodded. “Guards!” as two Royal Knights entered. “Please escort Sir Cohott and Sir Riheel back to the Great Divider and make sure they are well equipped before they leave.” With that Garrett also left through the hidden passage, catching up with his King.


Discuss this chapter?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
You can drop me a line anytime at jamiehvu@gmail.com

Thanks for reading :]
And a bigger thanks to my editors and beta reader!

Copyright © 2011 jamiiewhiite; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh oh the plot is thickening! I wonder what is going to happen next! I think this chapter is less 'cliche' than the others (less Final Fantastlaugh.gif )! Well I prefer this one!

But Evergreen? Perhaps it will be better if you give it a name more 'elfique' ?

 

Write more!

Link to comment
On 07/22/2011 02:59 AM, Elezbed said:
Oh oh the plot is thickening! I wonder what is going to happen next! I think this chapter is less 'cliche' than the others (less Final Fantastlaugh.gif )! Well I prefer this one!

But Evergreen? Perhaps it will be better if you give it a name more 'elfique' ?

 

Write more!

Will do! And I'll think about another name :P
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..