Jump to content
    jamiiewhiite
  • Author
  • 2,319 Words
  • 1,300 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Summoner's Heart - 9. Chapter 9: The Academy

Edited as of 08/12/2011

It was a long walk to the Academy from the Royal Palace. Glenn had already arranged means for transportation earlier, as they awaited them at the Wall of Everett. As Fayth, Evan and Glenn arrived at the Grand Entrance, it was already high noon. The three made it across the fifteen feet tall double wooden doors, made from Melbo Trees. Melbo is a wood so tough it rival most ores. The doors were also protected and enhanced by many enchantments just like the Royal Grounds and the Wall of Everett. Most people couldn’t even enter the Imperial District without the alarm crystals going off. Only people with clearance access initiated by a Circle Magji through the means of Tracing were even allowed in. Tracing was a security measure where one must surrender a small vial of their blood and it is then magically processed through means of a locator spell. Once done, the person could enter and leave the Imperial District with ease or until the duration of the spell lasted depending on their stay in the district. Though it would seem the security measure did not affect Evan.

The small group made the quick walk towards the Wall of Everett, passing by the gigantic circular Fountain of Avrae. Anyone entering the Royal Palace with its many pedestals was greeted by the fountain which gave the appearance of a waterfall. It was said any couple that took the time to walk around the Royal Palace to the Fountain of Avrea and drank its waters would fall in love. Many people paid for such a walk. Fayth found it to be completely ridiculous.

The cobblestone road was a line with many Ifea tree, their leaves changing with ever season. It was lust summer pink at the moment, a great contrast to the perfectly manicured grass. Many lanterns hung from the Ifea tree’s branches. It was a spectacular view at night. Looking back, Evan’s breath caught as he witnessed the glory of the Palace. The palace was graceful but simple in design. With its high arches and marble spires, it was a marvel beyond imagination. The walls were made of graphite that shimmered in the sunlight. It was breathtakingly stunning.

As the three men reached the wall they were greeted by a stable servant with a horse drawn carriage. Glenn motioned for the two to get inside as he closed the carriage door, taking a seat up front with the stable servant. Within seconds the carriage started to move with a decent pace out of the Imperial District and towards the Academy. Evan looked out the window as they passed through the gate of Everett. It was a formidable wall that still resisted the span of time. The road then sloped downward moving into the Nobility District. Fayth relaxed next to Evan, laying his head on the other man’s shoulder while Evan took in the scenery, wrapping his arm around Fayth. Evan sat in awe of the Nobility District. He thought the Kingdom must be the wealthiest in the world to build such buildings. Estates lined all around them; all beautifully crafted in neutral to warm colors. Garden’s, statues, and fountains litter the place as the noblemen and ladies walked in leisure, curiously looking back at the carriage. The carriage came to an intersection in the cobblestone way and made a left. Again estates lined the way as far as the eyes could see. After about a half an hour they reached their destination.

The Academy consisted of four gothic buildings that were built in a circular manner with a courtyard in the center. Each building was detached. The front was the Commons, the two on the sides were for the classrooms and arena, and the opposite of the Commons was the Housing quarters. It was a very prestigious place with polished walls to match its higher standard of academics and training. The Academy was a place that shaped its students to be the best.

Glenn told the servant to wait as he opened the carriage door letting the two out. Many of the students were standing or sitting around talking. As the three made their way towards the Commons, they received many stares. Even though Fayth was the Prince, he always felt like he was an outsider to everyone else, especially to the other Magji. The Titanians treated him just find though they tended to stay out of his way because they were intimidated by his family. He had nothing in common with the Humes, and the Magji treated him like a weakling. He made top marks on all his subjects, but when it came to performing the actual spells he would be laughed right out the door. He felt humiliated being there day after day, with no one to talk to but Glenn, when he to visit during breaks. Glenn hated to see Fayth’s discouraged face whenever they went to the Academy but Fayth refused a private tutor. He thought it wouldn’t help the situation if he got special treatment, so he braved it most days.

Entering the building, hushed whispers could be heard. Having Evan around didn’t help, but Fayth wasn’t going to let it bother him. For once he had someone there to support him other than Glenn. Evan was bothered though. He didn’t understand why the sudden change in mood with Fayth. He was always so full of life. However, as they entered the building Fayth seemed to shrink into himself.

“Hey, you okay?” Evan asked, stopping Fayth with a hand. He just shrugged and looked around helplessly.

“I-I just don’t belong in here that’s all,” Fayth confessed, looking quite uneasy. “I’m fine though. Let’s just do this quick.”

Evan wasn’t convinced as he saw all the looks everyone was giving them. “HEY! Why don’t you all mind your own damn business,” Evan suddenly yelled, getting everyone’s attention and glaring back at them. “Or should I make it my own business,” he said standing up to his full height, arms tensing. Everyone abruptly went back to what they were doing.

“Evan!” Fayth chastised looking shocked. “You can’t do that! Everyone already doesn’t like me as it is,” Fayth weakly said, trying to keep himself in check.

“I don’t care,” Evan replied challengingly. He wasn’t going to stand around and do nothing. “Then you have nothing to lose. Plus, they don’t even know you!”

“Okay, you two, let’s keep moving,” Glenn interjected, not wanting to cause anymore of a scene as he push the two along. He always wished he could do what Evan did, but as someone under the Royal Family he couldn’t.

As they continued down the hallway, Evan wrapped an arm around Fayth’s shoulders. Fayth tensed at the touch but soon relaxed. Just having Evan there was a big comfort to him. He knew Evan meant well even with his over-protectiveness. For once he was glad to have someone to stand up for him. The three soon reach the Head Master’s office.

Glenn knocked on the door and after a few seconds they heard a, “Come in.” Glenn pushed the door open, poking his head inside.

“Head Master, Prince Fayth is here to see you.”

“Yes, yes. Come in,” said a man on the other side.

Glenn rushed the other two in. “What can I do for you, Your Highness?” the Head Master said not looking up as he scribbled away with his quill. Head Master Joel Maxwell was Magji and one of the Circle Elders. He was old in his years but new to the position of Head Master. He was of average height for a Magji, standing at five eight and round as a balloon. He had salt and pepper hair, two beety little eyes, and a crooked nose. King Kailan assigned him the position when the last Head Master became ill and soon after, retired. Master Joel hated his new job; thinking it was beneath him. He was after all the strongest Magji in the Kingdom, or so he thought. It didn’t suit him to be looking after a bunch of children when he could be relaxing in the palace bathhouse.

“I just came to get my lesson plan, Sir,” Fayth answered. He never did like the man. His father only hired him because of the shortage of Magji in the Kingdom and due to his family’s standing.

“I hear that you are excused today,” Master Joel asked, still not giving the prince his full attention. “And why is that?”

“It is the Prince’s birthday,” Glenn interjected.

“I’m sure the Prince can speak for himself,” the Head Master said firmly, finally looking up, but not really caring. He was surprised to find another man there, a man with beautiful wings nonetheless. He sneered, “Who is this?”

“He is a Royal Guest and a good friend of the Prince,” Glenn interjected again.

“What did I just say?” Master Joel demanded. He looked at Evan over lustfully. Evan found the man’s gazed creepy and shuddered. “Hmm, will he be attending the Academy?”

“He will not!” Fayth looked disgusted with the man and quickly added, “Sir.”

“Tsk, tsk, what a pity,” Master Joel wouldn’t mind seeing that piece of meat everyday he thought. “What did you want now?”

“My lessons, Sir.”

“Oh… Right…,” as the Head Master rummaged though his desk, looking for the file that was given to him earlier that morning. “Here it is…,” he said as he opened it up and scanning through. “Hmm… Your Highness, it looks like here that you will be missing a Mana Dual today… That won’t do at all.”

“But…,” Fayth started to say. He knew the Head Master must have changed the schedule. There wasn’t one until next week.

“No buts! You know that a dual cannot be excused.”

“Be reasonable, Head Master,” Glenn tried to reason with the man.

“Why do you keep talking, when I made myself completely clear? Do you know who I am, I am a Circle Elder, so mind your place!” the Head Master bellowed. Glenn could barely contain himself from ripping the man’s head apart. All he could do was stand there and fume.

“I have had enough of this!” Fayth shakingly said through a clinched jaw. “You will also mind your station, Head Master! Glenn here is an Elite Royal Knight and a person under my title. You will respect him, am I clear?” he said finally, completely shaken up. Evan stood there helplessly. All he could do was pull Fayth into his arms.

“You have no power over me! How dare you talk to me in such a manner!” the Head Master shouted back. “I could have you expelled for such an insubordination! Your father will hear of this, I swear it!”

“Do what you will, we are leaving,” Fayth replied, not caring at all. “Glenn?” Glenn started to open the door.

“If you leave now I will fail you from all of your classes and ban you from ever graduating!” Master Joel threatened, knowing the young prince was cornered. There was a long pause as they all stood there waiting for what Fayth would do. Fayth couldn’t let his reputation be tarnished in such a way. It would disgrace the Everett name. He had no way out but to do the duel.

Fayth sighed, “Fine, what do you want?”

“Now, that’s a good boy. Head to the courtyard and you will complete your duel there.”

Fayth waited no longer for fear the Head Master would say anything more and left through the already opened door. He rushed to the courtyard as if his life depended on it, wanting to get as far away from the Head Master as possible. Never in his life did he ever disrespect someone, especially an Elder, but what Evan did earlier stayed with him. Sticking up for him showed he had to do the same. His father was going to have a cow when he heard about this. He knew his father was already busy enough without the trouble he was getting himself into. He was so angry with himself and the situation, tears threatened his eyes as he came to a complete stop in the empty corridor. Suddenly two arms pulled him from behind into a warm embrace as two wings enveloped him. Fayth turned around and wrapped his arms around Evan’s waist. As he cried as Evan whispered words to encouragement into his ear.

“I can’t believe you told him off like that!” Evan exclaimed. “You were so brave.”

“B-brave?”

“Yes! You are my hero!”

Fayth sniffed, “I can’t believe it either.” The two hugged. He took a deep breath in as Evan’s fresh scent calmed him down.

Glenn bent down and looked into his Master face. “I am so glad you finally stood up for yourself,” he confessed. “That old bat had it coming.”

“I did it for you,” Fayth said, leaving Evan’s arms and going to his caretaker’s. “No one talks like that to you except me.” Glenn just hugged the prince back tightly. “Father will be very upset with me.”

“Oh, I think he will understand,” Glenn reassured.

“You sure?”

“Of course, don’t worry so much, that’s my job.”

There was a pause as Fayth got lost in Glenn’s arms. Evan stood by watching the two. “We have to go don’t we?” Fayth asked, grudgingly pulling apart.

“I’m afraid so but we will be right behind you,” Glenn promised, nodding at Evan.

“Always,” was the simple respond from Evan. The three composed themselves and headed out into the afternoon air.


Discuss this chapter?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
You can drop me a line anytime at jamiehvu@gmail.com

Thanks for reading :]
And a bigger thanks to my editors and beta reader!

Copyright © 2011 jamiiewhiite; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..