Jump to content
    jamiiewhiite
  • Author
  • 1,256 Words
  • 1,643 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Summoner's Heart - 2. Chapter 2: The Calling, Part I

Edited as of 07/11/2011

In the centre Grand Library of the Royal Palace, sat a small boy whose sixteenth Birthday was tomorrow. He was reading The Basic Art of Mastering Mana Vol. I. Already having read the book countless times, he still couldn’t accomplish what any other Magji could cast at his age. He was frustrated with himself because he understood the concept of breathing energy from his mana core and drawing magic outwards. Breathing was the key concept, the breath of life the book instructed. He understood that. But when he put the concept into practice, the best he could accomplish was a puny little flame.

“Fire, Fire, Fire!” he cast over and over again, but the best he could summon was a puny little flame floating in the center of his palm. ‘Yeah puny like yourself,’ he thought bitterly. Irritated with the book he slammed it down. Fire was the most basic of spells and he still couldn’t seem cast it. He was going to have a word with his father and find out who wrote the stupid book. He sat back down, sighing. He had already had a rough day and not much sleep since two nights ago when he had a terrible dream. It still shook him, which did little to improve his mood. Tired, he rested his head down on the polished oak table. Closing his eyes, he decided it wouldn’t hurt to take a break…

Suddenly he could hear a faint humming. It was very faint, but he still could make out the melody. Not knowing if he knew such a song, he hummed along. It sounded familiar, but he couldn’t quite put his finger on where he might have heard it before. Still, it was quite comforting and he drifted off…

***

“Your Highness, your Highness, wake up!”

Someone was shaking him gently. “Huh… Yeah, what is it?” he asked groggily.

“Supper is ready your Highness. The King is waiting, you must hurry!” said a familiar voice, sounding worried. “Are you alright your Highness?”

After blinking a few times he could finally make out Glenn, his overprotective personal caretaker. He yawned. “Yeah I’m fine, just a little tired, that’s all,” the boy reassured Glenn, smiling. Glenn looked a little relieved.

“I hope so. I’ve been worried sick for two nights pass. You haven’t been sleeping well of late and the King will have my head if you don’t get well soon,” his servant pressed.

“Glenn, stop. Really I’m fine and you should know better than to say that. Father wouldn’t do that. He knows how fond I am of you. You’re part of the family as far as I’m concerned,” the prince said sincerely.

“Master, I don’t know what to say…” Glenn was speechless. He came from a poor family with only his mother and little sister that lived in the Commons District nearest the Great Divider. As a Titanian he was lucky enough to find work in the palace as a palace watchman. And as luck would have it he was promoted to being the personal caretaker of the King’s son after being assigned to guard the prince’s chambers. It was an honor beyond his wildest dreams. He has been serving his Highness for the past three years since he graduated at twenty-one. He was very fond of the prince who was so lovable and caring to everyone. Like most Titanians he had a broad build; he stood tall at six five, strong shoulders and a full set of traits belonging to a warrior in the making. Having a strong sense for justice, he graduated as one of the top in his class at the Academy. He was duty bond to serve and protect the ones he loves.

“You don’t have to say anything Glenn,” The young prince got up and wrapped his arms around Glenn, pulling him into a tight hug. Glenn returned the hug with just as much warmth, looking down in awe. Glenn couldn’t believe how readily the young boy gave out his love and trust. Glenn swore that he would forever protect his young Master with his life.

“C’mon, we must hurry. You know how your family is when they are hungry,” Glenn laughed.

“Yeah, let’s go then.”

Just as they were about to leave the Grand Library, the young prince’s knees gave out as a sharp stab of pain shook through his chest. He almost fell, only to be caught by Glenn. “Your Highness, what’s the matter!?” Glenn yelled, panicking.

As quickly as it came, the pain passed. “It’s alright Glenn, I’m fine. I think I’m just hungry. I haven’t eaten anything at all today,” he reassured Glenn and also himself. The pain resided in his mana core. Trying not to think what it meant, he gave Glenn an encouraging look. “Let’s go, I’m starving!”

“If you’re sure…” sounding quite unsure, Glenn slowly replied. He helped his young master up to his feet and slowly helped the prince towards the Great Hall while wrapping an arm around his young master’s waist.

They soon arrived at the Great Hall without further incident. The prince took his place on the right side end, next to his older brother, of the large cherry oak table that was able to sit fifty or so guest comfortably. Glenn took his place on the left side of his master.

“Good evening, Father.” The boy smiled brightly, dimples appearing.

“Fayth, how are you feeling today?” King Kailan Everett III asked worriedly seeing the shadows under his youngest son’s eyes. He knew his son all too well and could see pass the smiles and bright attitude. He knew that Fayth hadn’t been sleeping all too well the past two nights, coming to his chambers since two nights pass, finding comfort only in his arms.

“A lot better, Father,” he lied and sweetly smiled again to reassure his family. All of them looked at him worriedly. “Seriously guys, I’m fine. It’s not like I’m dying or anything, jeeze,” he teased. They seemed to drop the matter for now and Fayth took in a breath of relief.

“Alright, Son, just make sure you go see the Healers after supper. I want them to give you something to help you sleep,” King Kailan said sternly, giving the prince an ‘I’m-your-father-so-do-as-I-say’ look.

“Yes, Father,” his father looked pleased and ordered the servants to serve the first course.

While the servants busied themselves with the food, his eldest brother Alec asked across the table, “So little brother, why were you so late?” Cris, Alec’s twin, also turned beside him and looked interested to hear the answer. Alec being the oldest was heir to the throne, because he was born five minutes early. Melissa, his older sister, but the second youngest sweetly smiled at Fayth across the table.

“You guys know me, I was just in the Library catching up on my reading and then accidentally fell asleep,” Fayth sheepishly replied. It was a habit of his.

“We thought as much,” Alec snickered. “How about we all take a walk on the beach later and discuss your Birthday plans tomorrow, maybe it will make you feel… Better…”

The stabbing pain was back, stronger than ever. Fayth doubled over, clenching his sides, falling out of his chair. “Fayth, Fayth, FAYTH,” his family all yelled, running to his side. Everything went blurry and the last thing he remembered was being held by his father. He was suddenly tired and all he wanted to do was sleep.

 


 

Discuss this chapter?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
You can drop me a line anytime at jamiehvu@gmail.com

Thanks for reading :]
And a bigger thanks to my editors and beta reader!

Copyright © 2011 jamiiewhiite; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm liking the story. I'm not a huge of magic and centuries ago stories, but I like this one. It's the first I reviewed. :) Good. Looking forward to more chapters...

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..